17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 109.
#2601 5 years ago
Quoted from bballfan:

Which wiring harness do you need?

I need all from xformer to board interconnects.

#2602 5 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I am replacing the flashers with LEDs.
Are the flashers with the red caps different than the ones that are in the rear of the playfield? Thanks
[quoted image]

The LED flashers in the red domes and a couple underneath playfield will flash when you hit the flippers. It has something to do with how the system 11 power is routed to those. The fix is to put diodes in.

I had red LEDs in my dome flashers. Instead of installing the diodes for now, I took them out and put regular bulbs in. Make sure to go into settings and set flashers to brightest setting if you go incandescent.

The LEDs in the back panel do not behave in same manner and I have LEDs back there with no issue. Put a couple of purple in that piece you are holding ... middle and one of the ends. Really good color to compliment the game sounds when they go off!

#2603 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

The LED flashers in the red domes and a couple underneath playfield will flash when you hit the flippers. It has something to do with how the system 11 power is routed to those. The fix is to put diodes in.
I had red LEDs in my dome flashers. Instead of installing the diodes for now, I took them out and put regular bulbs in. Make sure to go into settings and set flashers to brightest setting if you go incandescent.
The LEDs in the back panel do not behave in same manner and I have LEDs back there with no issue. Put a couple of purple in that piece you are holding ... middle and one of the ends. Really good color to compliment the game sounds when they go off!

Hey.. thanks for your post. Would you know which type of led/incandescent would go under those red caps & behind that plastic back panel?

#2604 5 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Hey.. thanks for your post. Would you know which type of led/incandescent would go under those red caps & behind that plastic back panel?

I ordered everything from Comet. I followed someone else’s recipe somewhere in this thread, I believe. Here was my order:

48D34434-9BA1-4D8D-8053-EBBB339D5BD1 (resized).jpeg48D34434-9BA1-4D8D-8053-EBBB339D5BD1 (resized).jpeg
#2605 5 years ago

My LEDs do not do this. I don't think anyone has added any diodes. Could it be the brand/type of led?

#2606 5 years ago

I’m still wondering which type... of flasher goes behind the plastic & underneath the red caps. Thanks

#2607 5 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I’m still wondering which type... of flasher goes behind the plastic & underneath the red caps. Thanks

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Those are 906 flasher bulbs.

#2608 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

My LEDs do not do this. I don't think anyone has added any diodes. Could it be the brand/type of led?

I used Comet LED. There are posts somewhere here on pinside that describes the issue. What brand did you use?

#2609 5 years ago

They were put in by the previous owner. They are comet and look like little towers. All the LEDs are comet and look to be more expensive versions than what my cheap ass buys

#2610 5 years ago
Quoted from zene10:

Oh it will be, as soon as the steel ball hits the field.
But yes, it is drilled and dimpled.

IMG_4891 (resized).JPGIMG_4891 (resized).JPG
#2611 5 years ago

About those dimples...I learned to view them as a guide. Most of the time they are in the correct spot. On High Speed, there are three sets of 3 targets. They are not in a "bank" but individually attached to the bottom of the playfield. One would think the dimples would be in a nice straight line and properly centered in the cut-out in the playfield....not so. When I asked CPR why they would not make them right they replied, because that was the way they were on the playfield they used to map them. In another case, don't recall the game, the left flipper mechanism was way too close to a light socket...I mean right up against it. I rotated that flipper mechanism to a much safer orientation....

Just food for thought.

#2612 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

About those dimples...I learned to view them as a guide. Most of the time they are in the correct spot. On High Speed, there are three sets of 3 targets. They are not in a "bank" but individually attached to the bottom of the playfield. One would think the dimples would be in a nice straight line and properly centered in the cut-out in the playfield....not so. When I asked CPR why they would not make them right they replied, because that was the way they were on the playfield they used to map them. In another case, don't recall the game, the left flipper mechanism was way too close to a light socket...I mean right up against it. I rotated that flipper mechanism to a much safer orientation....
Just food for thought.

Thanks for the warning. I'm aware the dimples are usually "guides".

However, my original playfield was used as the CAD template for dimpling, drilling and routing the Mirco playfields so I'm hoping (fingers crossed) everything should line up correctly.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/52#post-4821441

#2613 5 years ago

Here are the best pics I could get with glass on. Same material as the two big squares of blue rubber at bottom of right ramp. A guy could also cut one of those sizes in half.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I finally got around to installing the rubber.
It works great! thanks a lot for your help.

#2614 5 years ago

Hey guys, just joined the club this weekend. Loving WW. I have a few questions/issues as a newbie owner:

- Mine has no topper. Is there a guide or wiki available for installing a topper from scratch? Where to order, how to install, etc?

- No manual. I might wait until the Allentown show to pick one up if I can find the relevant info somewhere online.

- One of my test menu buttons is missing. I have the black button that initiates the menu, the red one next to it, but it is missing a third button. I have been able to change settings using the black button and the start button. Will missing this third test button affect my ability to change settings?

Any other common issues or things to look out for as a new owner?

#2615 5 years ago

Single Drop Target Problem please help

So even though my drop target works through test the switch from the opto does not register. I’ve removed the target, throughly cleaned and replaced but still no luck. On a previous thread someone mentioned the connector but everything seems fine and I’m now thinking the opto needs replacing.

Is this the right opto bearing in mind I’m in the UK

https://pinparts.co.uk/products/tcst1103-4-legged-slotted-opto-replaces-5490-10159-00

#2616 5 years ago
Quoted from speederice:

Hey guys, just joined the club this weekend. Loving WW. I have a few questions/issues as a newbie owner:
- Mine has no topper. Is there a guide or wiki available for installing a topper from scratch? Where to order, how to install, etc?
- No manual. I might wait until the Allentown show to pick one up if I can find the relevant info somewhere online.
- One of my test menu buttons is missing. I have the black button that initiates the menu, the red one next to it, but it is missing a third button. I have been able to change settings using the black button and the start button. Will missing this third test button affect my ability to change settings?
Any other common issues or things to look out for as a new owner?

For the topper, read the crap out for this thread, there is good info.

For the manual. IPDB will have it, I printed mine and put it in a binder

1 week later
#2617 5 years ago

Anyone know who has the white cloud toppers in stock?

#2618 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Anyone know who has the white cloud toppers in stock?

Pinball ministry

#2619 5 years ago

Does anyone know when the bulbs underneath the flashers go off in the lightning plastic in the back? I've never seen them lit.

#2620 5 years ago

They should be on all the time with the GI then they come on late some times for certain lighting effects.

#2621 5 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Pinball ministry

Thank you

#2622 5 years ago

Have original plastics for sale, separate sale available, let me know if you need something.
Screenshot 2019-02-19 at 22.09.34 (resized).pngScreenshot 2019-02-19 at 22.09.34 (resized).png

#2623 5 years ago

what is the height with the topper? Thanks ahead of time.

#2624 5 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

They should be on all the time with the GI then they come on late some times for certain lighting effects.

Well that sucks - mine aren’t on. It appears that the connection is not connected, It was floating loose in the back of the box. It’s like a purple and white and a white and purple wire. I can’t find anything to connect to that matches. Can someone please post a picture of the connection for the power on the back of the lightning cloud board?

#2625 5 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

Well that sucks - mine aren’t on. It appears that the connection is not connected, It was floating loose in the back of the box. It’s like a purple and white and a white and purple wire. I can’t find anything to connect to that matches. Can someone please post a picture of the connection for the power on the back of the lightning cloud board?

There is another connector that connects to those wires that comes from a relay below. Just move the loom around and look for it. It has the same colored wires.

#2626 5 years ago

go over to HEP thread ........he is trying to give away a whirlwind cabinet

#2627 5 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

what is the height with the topper? Thanks ahead of time.

Mine's just under 7 feet.

#2628 5 years ago

Alright so I am working on a project Whirlwind and I've got two coils stuck on. Left up kicker and multi-ball diverter. I checked the schematics that says Q15 and Q7. So far I have replaced both coils and replaced those two transistors on driveboard but I am still have the problem. Now I wondering if it's something on the Aux board thats bad. Any thoughts?
5983CC20-E9D4-455C-B236-AF9AB66924AA (resized).jpeg5983CC20-E9D4-455C-B236-AF9AB66924AA (resized).jpeg

#2629 5 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Now I wondering if it's something on the Aux board thats bad. Any thoughts?

Replace these parts, Q-4, Q-5, D-15 and D-16.

locked on coils (resized).PNGlocked on coils (resized).PNG
#2630 5 years ago

Do what Grumpy says

#2631 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Replace these parts, Q-4, Q-5, D-15 and D-16.
[quoted image]

I am not home yet, but what type of transistors are those? tip122?

#2632 5 years ago

TIP 36c and 1n4007 diodes.

#2633 5 years ago

Left the club today It was fun for a few years but can't keep them all ......

Goodbye Whirly !

'All clear - return to your homes'

#2634 5 years ago

really getting into Whirlwind

IMG_1158 (resized).JPGIMG_1158 (resized).JPGIMG_1159 (resized).JPGIMG_1159 (resized).JPG
#2635 5 years ago

I’m getting two balls in the shooter lane when I have one ball locked. I checked all the trough and lock lane switches they’re all testing good with the switch edges test. I cannot figure out what the heck is going on and I happens almost every time. However this is the only time this happens. Help! Thanks in advance!

#2636 5 years ago

This Sunday in 11:00am GMT-5 will be playing in Whirlwind. https://www.twitch.tv/pinballrussia Will be glad if you guys will be with us.

#2637 5 years ago

What city do you live in? My son spent last Fall studying in Moscow.

#2638 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

What city do you live in? My son spent last Fall studying in Moscow.

I live in Smolensk 375km from Moscow

#2639 5 years ago

I’m checking out some titan competition rubber colors & am trying to figure out what would look good.

What colors have you guys chosen?

I may go with white for the rings & do light blue for the flippers & posts.

#2640 5 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I’m checking out some titan competition rubber colors & am trying to figure out what would look good.
What colors have you guys chosen?
I may go with white for the rings & do light blue for the flippers & posts.

nudge

#2641 5 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

I’m getting two balls in the shooter lane when I have one ball locked. I checked all the trough and lock lane switches they’re all testing good with the switch edges test. I cannot figure out what the heck is going on and I happens almost every time. However this is the only time this happens. Help! Thanks in advance!

Could this be it?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-ball-locktrough-problem

#2642 5 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

Any chance you've loaded one too many balls into the pin?

#2643 5 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

Check your switches with ball and not our finger, maybe the switch isn’t seeing it with a ball only.

#2644 5 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Any chance you've loaded one too many balls into the pin?

nope. got the right balls (3).

#2645 5 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Check your switches with ball and not our finger, maybe the switch isn’t seeing it with a ball only.

Yep, totally did that too.

#2646 5 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

Yep, totally did that too.

Is the machine grounded properly?

#2647 5 years ago

So, this was it. Although I don't think it was a grounding issue. I think that the switch was getting stuck on the eject mech. It was pretty much touching it. I bent it so it wasn't touching. Problem solved. I tried to replicate a grounding contact issue by pushing the wire to touch the eject mech and it didn't cause the ball to come out early. Any case, thanks for all the help everyone!

#2648 5 years ago
Quoted from bailorgana:

So, this was it. Although I don't think it was a grounding issue. I think that the switch was getting stuck on the eject mech. It was pretty much touching it. I bent it so it wasn't touching. Problem solved. I tried to replicate a grounding contact issue by pushing the wire to touch the eject mech and it didn't cause the ball to come out early. Any case, thanks for all the help everyone!

I'm happy it worked for my Whirlwind-Brother

#2650 5 years ago

Trying out a new camera setup to get videos of gameplay. Made a short clip of a whirlwind multi ball run tonight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 53 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/53?hl=phesson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.