17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 109.
#1401 7 years ago
Quoted from Sciddleybop1980:

The opto switches aren't registering the targets have dropped. Check to see if the plug is on correctly. Check for cold solder around the header pins.
Unusual for all 3 to stop at once. See if they register in switch test.
Physically check the optos an inspect them. And ensure nothing could be shorting them and causing a fuse to blow. Check the plug at the board end and ensure it's correctly seated.
That's what I'd do to start.
If all seems well. You may have dodgy optos.
Of course a far more knowledgeable person maybe able to give A better suggestion.
Good luck

I cleaned the optos and now it's working, so hopefully that was an easy fix!

#1402 7 years ago
Quoted from Cloud7:

I cleaned the optos and now it's working, so hopefully that was an easy fix!

Cool. May well have been many years of crud. I suspect maybe cold solder on the optos as well. I had similar on my Earthshaker drops. Consider that if it happens again. Glad you're sorted though.

#1403 7 years ago

Having an issue with stand up target moving into cellar opening. I just got this pin. How can i get this target secure so it doesn't have side movement? I ordered a new one since the plastic is broken but need to understand how to secure it so it doesn't have side to side movement.

Resized_20170212_134428 (resized).jpegResized_20170212_134428 (resized).jpeg

#1404 7 years ago
Quoted from thunder001:

Having an issue with stand up target moving into cellar opening. I just got this pin. How can i get this target secure so it doesn't have side movement? I ordered a new one since the plastic is broken but need to understand how to secure it so it doesn't have side to side movement.

The new one wont move, that target is just worn out, thats why it moves.

#1405 7 years ago

Want to eliminate the batteries on my board. Can someone help me with finding the proper parts and instructions on how to do it? I want to go with NVRam chip? Thanks in advance.

#1406 7 years ago
Quoted from thunder001:

Want to eliminate the batteries on my board. Can someone help me with finding the proper parts and instructions on how to do it? I want to go with NVRam chip? Thanks in advance.

this is a good place to start

http://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_nvram.php

#1407 7 years ago

Looking for a picture of how to wire the plug for the fan motor. I need to know which pins to use on the fan board and how wire the plug. I assume if you hook up the fan motor backwards it will run the opposite direction. Thanks

#1408 7 years ago

I have an original display that works, but has some fade on the bottom right. It's not as bright as a new one, but it works. If someone wants it, make me an offer. I have no use for it so let it go to a good home.

#1409 7 years ago

CHECK THE MARKETPLACE .......SOMEONE IN MEXICO IS PARTING A WHIRLWIND

#1410 7 years ago
Quoted from zerbam:

CHECK THE MARKETPLACE .......SOMEONE IN MEXICO IS PARTING A WHIRLWIND

Seller ended the ad so it's probably gone.

#1411 7 years ago

he has listed all of the boards separately and the fan topper so far.

#1412 7 years ago

I would totally buy that dude's partial WH20, but the shipping nightmare is so not worth it.

#1413 7 years ago

Today I rebuilt my left flipper and now hitting the toll way ramp is now very difficult compared to how it was before I did the rebuild on the flipper. The new flipper is now stronger making it hard to hit that ramp. Any way to make the flipper not as strong?

#1414 7 years ago

thunder001 , about all I can think about is to use a weaker coil. Pinball life lists the coils by strength. So could look up which coil is supposed to be used , then use the next weaker one

#1415 7 years ago
Quoted from thunder001:

Today I rebuilt my left flipper and now hitting the toll way ramp is now very difficult compared to how it was before I did the rebuild on the flipper. The new flipper is now stronger making it hard to hit that ramp. Any way to make the flipper not as strong?

Just play it for a while before you make any changes. Your timing will adjust to the rebuild and you'll be nailing it again in no time.

#1416 7 years ago

Figured I would show my project that I purchased a couple weeks ago. Thanks to all that sold me parts that I needed to get this beast up and running. Still looking for a display and the board behind the display. I still have to fix some hacks in the wiring harness and some other small issues. This was a grail pin of mine so I'm proud that I played my first game today. Glad to be in the club!

0218171705 (resized).jpg0218171705 (resized).jpg

0218171706 (resized).jpg0218171706 (resized).jpg

#1417 7 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Still looking for a display and the board behind the display.

What display and board are you referring too? Your display appears to be working in the pics?

#1418 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

What display and board are you referring too? Your display appears to be working in the pics?

Only part of the display is working, missing segments on 2nd player and 4th player. The board that sits behind the display had a bunch of traces burned at one time, lot of a bad trace repairs. The board may very well be the problem with the display. I'm having some other issues with callouts that is related to the rottendog board that I installed. I can use the mpu out of taxi and everything works fine for the callouts. This may have something to do with the display also. Maybe I can find a Williams mpu and get rid of the rottendog.

#1419 7 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Only part of the display is working, missing segments on 2nd player and 4th player. The board that sits behind the display had a bunch of traces burned at one time, lot of a bad trace repairs. The board may very well be the problem with the display. I'm having some other issues with callouts that is related to the rottendog board that I installed. I can use the mpu out of taxi and everything works fine for the callouts. This may have something to do with the display also. Maybe I can find a Williams mpu and get rid of the rottendog.

I have a working display if you want it, a little faded and a little out gassing on right side, but not too bad. I have no need for it. If you want it, make me an offer.

#1420 7 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Only part of the display is working, missing segments on 2nd player and 4th player. The board that sits behind the display had a bunch of traces burned at one time, lot of a bad trace repairs. The board may very well be the problem with the display.

The MPU is not causing your display issue (or vice versa), if it was, you'd have nothing on the display. Are you opposed to converting to an LED display? or are you trying to stay original? I have a minty complete original display assembly that is in perfect condition and 100% razor sharp. The going rate ive seen around here is about $100, so I would sell it for that, plus $14 for Priority Mail shipping. PM me if interested.

#1421 7 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Figured I would show my project that I purchased a couple weeks ago. Thanks to all that sold me parts that I needed to get this beast up and running. Still looking for a display and the board behind the display. I still have to fix some hacks in the wiring harness and some other small issues. This was a grail pin of mine so I'm proud that I played my first game today. Glad to be in the club!

I don't know if you're into LED displays or not but I have the blue rottendog display in mine. Used to $150 plus shipping from Keith over at ksarcade.com I'm. It sure if they are still that price. It Eliminated the high power section on the board too. I love it.

Other posts are right it's just a bad display not the MPU. They can be fixed sometimes but to me it's never worth the headache.

#1422 7 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I don't know if you're into LED displays or not but I have the blue rottendog display in mine. Used to $150 plus shipping from Keith over at ksarcade.com I'm. It sure if they are still that price. It Eliminated the high power section on the board too. I love it.
Other posts are right it's just a bad display not the MPU. They can be fixed sometimes but to me it's never worth the headache.

Thanks for the info.

Quoted from TheOnlyest:

The MPU is not causing your display issue (or vice versa), if it was, you'd have nothing on the display. Are you opposed to converting to an LED display? or are you trying to stay original? I have a minty complete original display assembly that is in perfect condition and 100% razor sharp. The going rate ive seen around here is about $100, so I would sell it for that, plus $14 for Priority Mail shipping. PM me if interested.

Pm sent

#1423 7 years ago

Does some have a link or instructions on adding a shaker motor to spinning discs? I would like to do this if someone has a parts list and instructions.

#1424 7 years ago
Quoted from thunder001:

Does some have a link or instructions on adding a shaker motor to spinning discs? I would like to do this if someone has a parts list and instructions.

This would be interesting. I would like to have the list also

#1425 7 years ago

Getting ready to take on a big WW restore and joining the club. I am looking for the lift ramp for the right ramp. Part B-13233. I've searched but can't find any in stock. I'd need one with the rivets and hardware attached as pictured here: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-13233

Thanks for any help you can do

#1426 7 years ago
Quoted from toberlindacher:

Getting ready to take on a big WW restore and joining the club. I am looking for the lift ramp for the right ramp. Part B-13233. I've searched but can't find any in stock. I'd need one with the rivets and hardware attached as pictured here: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/B-13233

i ve bought a very nice one made by a pinsider have a glance in the before pages u will find him easily.

#1427 7 years ago

Get in touch with Freeplay40. He made us some awhile back. Unfortunately they may be all gone, but it's worth a try.

#1428 7 years ago

I make those. Info here...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lift-ramp-needed

What I don't provide is the hinge on the ramp. Mine would be complete except for that hinge. So provided your hinge is good, I can help you. Mine is not only a little thicker than the original, it is made of Lexan (Polycarbonate)

#1429 7 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I make those. Info here...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lift-ramp-needed
What I don't provide is the hinge on the ramp. Mine would complete except for that hinge. So providing your hinge is good, I can help you. Mine is not only a little thicker than the original, it is made of Lexan (Polycarbonate)

There he is!! Outstanding product highly recommended!!

IMG_20170113_232339 (resized).jpgIMG_20170113_232339 (resized).jpg

#1430 7 years ago

Can anyone supply a picture of how the cliffy ramp protector should be installed. I have my cliffy set installed but can't figure how to install ramp protector.

#1431 7 years ago
Quoted from codered9394:

Can anyone supply a picture of how the cliffy ramp protector should be installed. I have my cliffy set installed but can't figure how to install ramp protector.

inplace2 (resized).jpginplace2 (resized).jpg

#1432 7 years ago

Just picked up a ramp from Freeplay40 last week. Looks great, shipped incredibly fast and packaged excellent. Do not hesitate to buy a ramp from him. What an outstanding service he provides to all of us who need this hard to find part,

#1433 7 years ago
Quoted from loren3233:

Just picked up a ramp from Freeplay40 last week. Looks great, shipped incredibly fast and packaged excellent. Do not hesitate to buy a ramp from him. What an outstanding service he provides to all of us who need this hard to find part,

he makes a really good job indeed i ve received it till France with any damages.
plus it is better than the original in quality

#1434 7 years ago

Im getting this message today. I'm new to this and wondering what i should do to find the problem.

20170225_143116 (resized).jpg20170225_143116 (resized).jpg

20170225_143120 (resized).jpg20170225_143120 (resized).jpg

#1435 7 years ago
Quoted from thunder001:

Im getting this message today. I'm new to this and wondering what i should do to find the problem

Wish I could help you. I would assume there may be a short somewhere in the switch matrix. I would start with switch 45 and work back to the board. I've never seen this before, maybe some one else will chime in.

#1436 7 years ago

I went through the service menu and can't find the option to run the swich check to cycle through them. Where is it? How do i access it? Thanks for your help. Newbie pin owner.

20170225_143120 (resized).jpg20170225_143120 (resized).jpg

#1437 7 years ago

According to the manual switch 45 is the R ramp score bot. If you can figure exactly which switch this is then you could use a volt meter to try and locate where the short is. The drawings in the manual can also show you which other switches are tied in to that same circuit. I'm not quite sure how to read the switch matrix table so I don't know if you looking for a grn-blue wire or a wht-grn wire. You may find a bare wire touching a piece of metal somewhere from rubbing or it may have come loose. I will try to narrow down exactly which switch it is on my machine here shortly.
You can also use the test buttons on the inside of the corn door to help tell you which switches are messing up. Make sure the center button is in the down state. Press the right button once to enter test mode. Press center button to release to the up position. Use the right button to cycle the test modes to switch edge test. When you manually press the switches on the playfield it show that it's registering. I included a picture of the switch matrix to show you what I see. We need someone else here that has more experience to help you better. Good luck

14880724918121176596985 (resized).jpg14880724918121176596985 (resized).jpg

#1438 7 years ago

Switch 45 is this switch. Start at looking at that switch and the wiring. The wiring runs the length of that ramp then goes through the playfield. Look for a loose wire or a bare wire rubbing somewhere. This should give you a start

148807316355149768047 (resized).jpg148807316355149768047 (resized).jpg

#1439 7 years ago
Quoted from thunder001:

Im getting this message today.

Do you have the manual for your game? Check out page 38. It explains the error message in greater detail.

Basically, that error indicates when there is a switch short circuited to ground. Go to a switch test; it's labeled either switch edges or switch levels. Switch Levels "scans" the matrix, and will report any closed switches. I.e. If the ball trough is full, it'll scan through all 3 switches and report them to you. Switch Edges is simpler. It simply reports only a single switch as you activate it, and does so quickly. So, again, if your ball trough is full, it'll only report the last closed switch, and not all 3.

What I'd suggest you do, is open up your settings to Switch LEVELS, and activate switch 45 (which is the bottom right ramp switch) or any other switches you might think are responsible. The faulty switch will report a "WHT-xxx ROW x SHORT" message. Visually inspect the switch to see if there's a shorted, a leaf spring touching something metal, the insulating material has been worn or punctured, or if something got knocked loose.

Keep a careful eye for other switches. Switch 45 might be a red herring, and your short may lie elsewhere in the game. Often, the slam switch on the coin door is responsible.

#1440 7 years ago

Thanks mbaumle for giving him a better explanation. I was hopping he had already read the manual. Hope I didn't confuse him to much.

#1441 7 years ago

Thanks for all the help. So i checked to make sure the switch is getting power and it seems to be getting the same amount as the same type on the ramp. I went into the switch testing tool and when i activate the switch it is not registered. Since i have power could this mean i just have a bad switch?

#1442 7 years ago
Quoted from thunder001:

Thanks for all the help. So i checked to make sure the switch is getting power and it seems to be getting the same amount as the same type on the ramp. I went into the switch testing tool and when i activate the switch it is not registered. Since i have power could this mean i just have a bad switch?

Short the 2 wires on the switch and see if it registers, if so, bad switch, of not, wiring issue.

#1443 7 years ago

Thank you that is what it is. Thank you for all your help!

#1445 7 years ago

Just received my game from Lermods and is beautiful. Thanks again man. Pumped to be in the club.

pin (resized).jpgpin (resized).jpg

#1446 7 years ago

Awesome, now get to work on my high score!

#1447 7 years ago

Hi all,

I'm having an issue where the ball is getting ejected from the trough into the shooter lane, but bouncing back into the trough. It really doesn't happen when three balls are present, but when I am down to two it sometimes happens, and once I have locked two balls, it can take so many tries to get a ball in the shooter lane that the ball search may kick on.

I checked the coil and that is correct (AE-2300-800), I replaced the coil sleeve (03-7066) and that didn't help. I played with the positioning of the coil retaining bracket when I replaced the sleeve, and no luck there. Comparing what I have to the drawing in the manual, it doesn't look like anything is missing.

The arm of the cam assembly (A-8247) looks a little worn, but nothing too bad; I will probably order a new one though. Basically, it looks like the ball is ejecting a little too high into the shooter lane and when there are no balls in the trough to act as a backstop, the ball just falls back in. Anyone run into this before? Any thing I can adjust with the assembly? Thanks!

#1448 7 years ago

Holy crap, you have overanalyzed the crap outta this bro! All you gotta do is adjust the deflection tab on the ball guide by bending it. Yours is very likely bent to far toward the top of the PF, the angle of it should be really close to this... Just keep bending it a tad until it deflects the ball toward the shooter everytime... That is its function!

123 (resized).jpg123 (resized).jpg

#1449 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Holy crap, you have overanalyzed the crap outta this bro! All you gotta do is adjust the deflection tab on the ball guide by bending it. Yours is very likely bent to far toward the top of the PF, the angle of it should be really close to this... Just keep bending it a tad until it deflects the ball toward the shooter everytime... That is its function!

yup this.

#1450 7 years ago
Quoted from TheOnlyest:

Thanks theOnlyest! Looks like some idiot installed the drywall screw on the wrong side of the ball deflector. In their defense, that screw isn't in the manual (and is mssing on yours), so maybe they just didn't realize their mistake

All kidding aside, I did wonder why the f*ck someone put a drywall screw next to the shooter lane. It turns out the trough is busted at the screw mounts, so that ball deflector wiggles loose. The screw holds it in place, and it holds it closer to the proper alignment with the screw on the other side. I'll have to ask CPR to put a dimple there on my new playfield. And no, of all the things I looked at, I'm not sure why I didn't pull the apron off and look closer at the ridiculous screw.

Anyone got a spare trough?

20170228_203246 (resized).jpg20170228_203246 (resized).jpg
20170228_204012 (resized).jpg20170228_204012 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.