Topic Stats

• 3,023 posts
  • 328 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 155 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 824 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

11416D40-0336-437C-BFA0-CCF26EE18026 (resized).png
20190916_092115 (resized).jpg
20190915_113212 (resized).jpg
20190914_125843 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ww (resized).PNG
E348C22F-3340-44CC-8858-0AE8241F6FF5 (resized).jpeg
0D98A271-7F16-46C3-B201-08B502057E6B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190912_203457 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Untitled (resized).jpg
image1 (resized).jpg
DSCN4234 (resized).jpg (© Nutty 5.0)
DSCN4646 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
whw (resized).jpg
ww (resized).PNG

There are 3023 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 61.
#951 3 years ago
Quoted from Dante:

I'm in the middle of a PF swap. But here are some picts of the legs, bolts and top of the lock down bar receiver powder coated to 1 shade darker than the cabinet. I think it looks great against the fresh paint and new graphics.

0424141451_(resized).jpgWW_Powdercoating_(resized).jpg

That looks great!! Is your cabinet work all decals?

#952 3 years ago

I got mine from BAA back in 2012, and just got around to putting them in. They do feel hard, but a big difference from the old ones which were probably original so 26 years old.

#953 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Both have the same texture.

Do they feel...

...?

If so, where'd ya get 'em?

Quoted from smiley:

I got mine from BAA back in 2012... They do feel hard...

Thanks for the feedback, smiley. Sounds similar to my current ones.

#954 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Is your cabinet work all decals?

No, I sanded the cabinet and had the paint matched. I then scanned in the cabinet art and redrew in Illustrator - then had a buddy of mine print them off and die cut them. I did a quick thread about it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-face-lift

#955 3 years ago

Looking good Dante. Cab looks very nice.

Can anyone please post a close up detail pic of the inlane ball drop area? I need to touch mine up a bit. I'm tempted to go for a new playfield, but I think this one still has plenty of life left in it.

#956 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

close up detail pic of the inlane ball drop area?

Here you go, minty fresh PF from HSA.

If you do decide to go for a new PF, good luck, now a days they are about as rare as a unicorn. So if you see one, jump on it.

In the past, CPR has said they will do another run, but the last time that I read, they were having problems sourcing inserts.

20160407_165222_(resized).jpg

20160407_165232_(resized).jpg

#957 3 years ago

Does anyone know the exact part number of the two roll over switches in the upper left part of the play field. One of mine has broke and I need to order a new one.

Here are some pics.

Thanks

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#958 3 years ago
Quoted from Dante:

In the past, CPR has said they will do another run, but the last time that I read, they were having problems sourcing inserts.

Pre-orders are available now for a Whirlwind rerun on their website now.

#959 3 years ago

Nevermind. Finally found it in the manual.

Part # 5647-12693-19.

#960 3 years ago
Quoted from Dante:

go for a new PF, good luck, now a days they are about as rare as a unicorn. So if you see one, jump on it.

Haven't had a single person interested in my playfield. Thought it would go fast. Maybe I'll hold onto it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/32982

#961 3 years ago
Quoted from Staythirsty:

Haven't had a single person interested in my playfield. Thought it would go fast.

Hmm, maybe just a lull? I know over the past couple of years people have paid well over what you listed. Or maybe it's due to the pre-orders are now up like mbaumie pointed out. Either way, if I was in the market for one - I'd be all over it as who knows how long CPR will take to produce or if everyone on the list will get theirs.

#962 3 years ago

Hey guys. Having trouble with two switches not working. R Standup(R Ramp) 48 and Spinner 41.

Can you take a look at the pictures below. Not sure if its wired wrong. I thought the standup switch was bad so I replaced that. Didn't change anything. All other switches work in that column.

If anyone can send some pics of their wiring that would be a huge help.

Thanks.

Pete

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#963 3 years ago

Hey everyone, I just got a whirlwind!!! Woohoo!!! The unfortunate part is that the lift ramp hinge is slightly split. I know there's been talk of this particular problem in quite a few places in the forum... Does anyone have any good solutions? I'm not even sure how I could replace that particular part since it's riveted in. I called up starship-fantasy and they say they aren't going to get to WW for a while.

#964 3 years ago
Quoted from Crater:

Hey everyone, I just got a whirlwind!!! Woohoo!!! The unfortunate part is that the lift ramp hinge is slightly split. I know there's been talk of this particular problem in quite a few places in the forum... Does anyone have any good solutions? I'm not even sure how I could replace that particular part since it's riveted in. I called up starship-fantasy and they say they aren't going to get to WW for a while.

Drill the rivets out, replace hinge, install new rivets

#965 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Drill the rivets out, replace hinge, install new rivets

What material is used on that hinge? Where do I get it?

#966 3 years ago

Does anyone know where I can find the fan topper? Looks like most places are sold out.

#967 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Does anyone know where I can find the fan topper? Looks like most places are sold out.

Blue one is available:
http://mad-amusements.com/product.php?id_product=2168

white one if you're willing to pay
http://www.ministryofpinball.com/en/spareparts/cabinet-products/toppers/whirlwind-topper.html

#969 3 years ago

Hi all

Apparently in my haste of ripping apart my WW, I failed to take any back box pics of where all the connectors go.

Can someone post (or PM me) a nice pic of the back box inside? If it's high enough quality, I can just zoom in and figure out where the connectors go.

Thanks in advance!

#970 3 years ago

Hi all. Does anyone know the size and type of bolt that is used to secure the play field at the pivot point on the cabinet? For my restore I have a new cabinet coming and I can't seem to find the size of the bolt and where to buy. Thanks.

#971 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Hi all. Does anyone know the size and type of bolt that is used to secure the play field at the pivot point on the cabinet? For my restore I have a new cabinet coming and I can't seem to find the size of the bolt and where to buy. Thanks.

Check the cabinet parts list here and see if any of these make sense.

http://www.planetarypinball.com/reference/partsmanuals/WMS_Parts_Red_16-9190-B/index.html#/187

#972 3 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

Hi all
Apparently in my haste of ripping apart my WW, I failed to take any back box pics of where all the connectors go.
Can someone post (or PM me) a nice pic of the back box inside? If it's high enough quality, I can just zoom in and figure out where the connectors go.
Thanks in advance!

Here are some shots here that might be able to get you going. I can try to dig up some more if you need them.

http://ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2765

#973 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Marco has them. You need

2) 1/2 pivot nuts #02-4329
2) 3/8-16 x 1-1/4 inch carriage bolts #4322-01123-20B
2) .437 x 1.00 x .093 black washers #4700-000950-00B

#974 3 years ago

Perfect. Thank you. Now I will need the courage to drill two holes in my brand new cabinet.

#975 3 years ago

What is the difference between the white and blue cloud topper?

Mine is white, seems like most are white? What was the blue? Aftermarket? Later prod. run? Proto?

#976 3 years ago
Quoted from PAPPYBALL:

What is the difference between the white and blue cloud topper?
Mine is white, seems like most are white? What was the blue? Aftermarket? Later prod. run? Proto?

blue is after market I believe.

#977 3 years ago

2 Things I hate about my Whirlwind- ANY ONE ELSE have this issue?

1) kick out just above the upper R flipper, kicks ball out so hard it comes down 3/4" off metal guide, making it almost impossible to make the upper left ramp shot because the flipper cant really reach the ball at full stroke. Only way to make that shot is to orbit and have ball against the metal guide for solid flipper contact.

2) Ball launch, never consistent with full pull, to orbit, and make upper flipper shot for same upper ramp shot. Sometimes makes full loop, sometimes bangs around in the star posts and falls down the middle of the PF.

I think i would love this game if these issues, mainly #1 was corrected, any one else?
any fixes, other than playing with different coils for kickout?

Should I stop whining? maybe I'm a snob and want things perfect
JP

#978 3 years ago

I would check to see if the coil for the kick out is the correct one. If so, clean the metal parts, replace the coil sleeve, etc...it shouldn't kick out so hard (at least mine doesn't)

For the plunger pull, clean the plunger, replace the sleeve, etc...make sure the guide rail is lined up right and properly tightened down. I don't know if mine has this issue or not, as I am a sucker for trying to get the 'full sweep' skill shot.

#979 3 years ago
Quoted from joey__p__1966:

2 Things I hate about my Whirlwind- ANY ONE ELSE have this issue?

Agree with dsuperbee's advice about adjusting the lane guide rail. When I got mine, it was actually calibrated way off so that it went up the ramp on a full plunge. Made scoring easier for sure, but that felt like cheating since you could guarantee a millions award after locking a ball. If you don't already know this, there's a screw near the top of the rail that allows you to adjust the rail slightly left and right. There's a hole in a plastic that you might be able to make the adjustment without taking anything off. I have generally had to at least loosen the habitrail above it to get the screwdriver in there. I had tried multiple times to aim this all the way to the right and it still wasn't enough. Finally bent the rail just slightly (using pliers with pieces of rubber on them to avoid damage to the metal). That fixed it and now the range of adjustment the screw gives is perfect to dial in the shot. So much nicer to play now.

My kickout doesn't seem as bad as yours, though that's something I do want to try to dial in a bit more at some point. I need all the help I can get... that ramp is so critical to big scoring and yet is so difficult to hit reliably - for me anyway. Recently, I've been trying to do a left orbit through the pops so that the ball has enough speed on it and is hugging tight to the rail.

Good luck.,

#980 3 years ago
Quoted from joey__p__1966:

kick out just above the upper R flipper, kicks ball out so hard it comes down 3/4" off metal guide

Check to make sure that all the parts associated with the kickout hole are correct. Although, I had a problem with this happening on an early SS williams game, the kickout hole was so strong it would kick the ball right into the playfield glass. Some might call it a hack, but I was able to "fix" it by installing a couple extra springs over the plunger to keep the resistance high. Cheap, effective, easy, and totally reversible if it turns out that the solenoid itself was the wrong kind.

#981 3 years ago

Great info on this post. I own a Whirlwind in average condition. Mylar issue. I am now motivated to restore the machine. The playfields on the post look amazing!!!! This is one of my favorite machines for sure.

#982 3 years ago

Couldn't agree more. The new play fields from CPR look stunning. Just landed a nice CPR playfield and I am going to attempt a PF swap. Also have a brand new cabinet from virtuapin cabinets being made as we speak. Been doing as much prep as I can.

Added Molex connectors to all solenoids to help make the swap easier. A lot of time to do but I feel it will be worth it.

On a side note. It's amazing how just changing the spinner decals can make a world of a difference.

Pete

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#983 3 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions with the kickout issue , the ball launch guide has been already been adjusted, just cant seem to get consistency, maybe play with the adj screw more. The dang kickout bugs me the most, I'll try to add a spring , with more tension to soften the kickout, good suggestion there.
I really want to like this game, as it looks good next to ES, and hope I don't decide to sell it due to the pain in the butt ramp shot. That ramp is important, the flipper just wont quite hit hard enough unless it orbits fast around and i get solid contact.
I'll play with it some this weekend, maybe just replace the whole upper flipper assembly, i probably have all the parts, and adjust the flipper off the stop a little more.
JP

#984 3 years ago

Couple of questions for whirlwind owners- does this look correct to have 1 large spacer and 1 small spacer on this plastic? Seems like it's bending them up and I was wondering if there should be 2 large spacers on that piece.

Can someone please post a picture of where these two small cloud pieces are in your game? I think one of these belongs in the center near the yellow pops, but I'm not sure which one and I don't know where the other one fits. Thanks!

plastics_(resized).jpg

#985 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Couple of questions for whirlwind owners- does this look correct to have 1 large spacer and 1 small spacer on this plastic? Seems like it's bending them up and I was wondering if there should be 2 large spacers on that piece.
Can someone please post a picture of where these two small cloud pieces are in your game? I think one of these belongs in the center near the yellow pops, but I'm not sure which one and I don't know where the other one fits. Thanks!

plastics_(resized).jpg

Spacers are correct, mine is the same. You could switch if you wanted to.

#986 3 years ago

Thanks for the info. Just finishing up now with 3 pieces of mylar pulled. I feel like I've stepped into a time machine, seeing the original playfield. I was pretty happy, the only casualty was this insert that got a bit ripped at the R. My family can't wait for me to get this back together, but it will be another few weeks.

ww_(resized).jpg

#987 3 years ago

I was lucky w/ my WW.

The PF mylar was in great shape. I tool the TreasureCove polishing kit to it. Now, it looks like glass.

#988 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

plastics_(resized).jpg.The left one is on post 156 .The other one is shown in post 902 on this WW members only blog.

#990 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

plastics_(resized).jpg

The left one is shown on post 156 on this WW blog.

#991 3 years ago

Has anyone had any issues with the upper GI by the flashers in the lightning backbox? My flashers work perfectly when a standup target is hit but when the back GI turns on after a ball is plunged the GI in the back does not turn on. I checked all my fuses and there seems to be no issues there. Any advice on where to start next?

Thanks

Pete

#992 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Has anyone had any issues with the upper GI by the flashers in the lightning backbox? My flashers work perfectly when a standup target is hit but when the back GI turns on after a ball is plunged the GI in the back does not turn on. I checked all my fuses and there seems to be no issues there. Any advice on where to start next?
Thanks
Pete

My machine came to me with various lamp issues that all traced back to bad transistors or, in the case of the lightning flashers, a bad resistor. Anyway, take a look at the solenoid table on page 32 of the manual and their test procedures for your next step to get an idea of what to check.

#993 3 years ago

Ok I'll look into that. I already ordered a new relay so hopefully that solves the problem. But if not then I will take a look at your suggestion.

#994 3 years ago

Has anyone installed the flipper fidelity speaker upgrade for whirlwind? Can you notice any difference or is it a waste of money?

#995 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

Has anyone installed the flipper fidelity speaker upgrade for whirlwind? Can you notice any difference or is it a waste of money?

With sys 11, just find a cheap used sub on Craigslist and call it a day.

#996 3 years ago

Joined the club today, but can't bring it into the game room until tomorrow night

20160424_203401_(resized).jpg

20160424_203409_(resized).jpg

#997 3 years ago
Quoted from Pmaino:

I'm curious too. I really want to upgrade the sound, and was debating on either Pinball Pro of Flipper Fidelity. I can't imagine it being too different, especially for a System 11, but if anyone has an opinion, I'd be open to hear it.

#998 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Joined the club today, but can't bring it into the game room until tomorrow night

20160424_203401_(resized).jpg20160424_203409_(resized).jpg

Artwork looks really nice!! Is it better looking on the right side than the left? That's something I see all the time on these for some reason, mine also has it.

#999 3 years ago

Seems to be the same on both sides. I haven't gone through the game yet and the lighting where it sits isn't great, but aside from some minor wear above the big spinner disc, it looks really nice. Looking forward to getting it set up, I'll post pics when I do.

#1000 3 years ago

Got one from Ministry of Pinball in the mail today. Cost the same as the one Marco has listed as out of stock including international shipping ($111.38). Very nice product, order with confidence.

image_(resized).jpeg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
11,990 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mansfield, OH
€ 3.70
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
There are 3023 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 61.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside