17120147714183511058491698968279 (resized).jpg
17120147133684342295711183751853 (resized).jpg
17120146816654026590663874873131 (resized).jpg
1711971576349821576825836127955.jpg
17119715507093168227299707841971.jpg
20240127_165338 (resized).jpg
20240127_165404 (resized).jpg
20240328_180122.jpg
There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 109.
#51 10 years ago

Post edited by trapper08 : Sorry for the blank posts. Had sending issues

#54 10 years ago

Fixing up my recent DP Whirlwind with new CPR plastics. Only I have 3 pieces that were not on my machine but part of the original set from CPR. Anyone happen to know where they go on the PF? Thanks!
Whirlwind1.jpgWhirlwind1.jpg

Post edited by trapper08 : Had a glitch trying to post with pic. Here is the pic.

#55 10 years ago

I'm confused. These are new pieces trapper? They look horrible.

#56 10 years ago

I believe the clear one goes on top of the back ramp. The two mini clouds go on top of another plastic along the sides

#57 10 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

I'm confused. These are new pieces trapper? They look horrible.

Sorry, those still have the protective coverings on . They are pristine when peeled off.

#58 10 years ago

the plastics still have the protective coating on them.

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

I believe the clear one goes on top of the back ramp. The two mini clouds go on top of another plastic along the sides

I was thinking the clear would go on the ramp also, but the 4 mount holes and angle don't jibe. A photo of an existing one with it in place may help . I will have to take another look at the side pieces to see how they might attach.
thanks!

I had also looked at the WW at Pinballz Arcade, but did not see the pieces on that one either...

#60 10 years ago

Hey, I don't post on Pinside much anymore, but I want to be in the Whirlwind club, too!

Here is an old thread with shop and topper modification pics of my Whirlwind.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shanetastics-whirlwind-2

And a couple gameplay videos...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/8lXx7iC9kj8?autoplay=1&rel=0

http://www.youtube.com/embed/tlDSV_3HLY8?autoplay=1&rel=0

#61 10 years ago

A few pics of my WW transition. As received the cabinet had some damage in the front and planking on the sides. Nothing some cab repair and cabinet decals could not fix for the better.
My PF had a couple inserts with damaged screening so I decided to fix it. I removes all the inserts, wet sanded flat and applied insert decals. I did some other needed touch up then shot with auto clear. While my PF was curing and my cabinet sitting and waiting I went thru the boards and rebuilt the power supply and replaced pin headers on the main and interconnect boards and all new resistors.

1.jpg1.jpg 2.jpg2.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5.jpg5.jpg

#62 10 years ago

A few other pics that got dropped from the other post

6.jpg6.jpg 7.jpg7.jpg 8.jpg8.jpg 9.jpg9.jpg 10.jpg10.jpg

#63 10 years ago

Trouble uploading today.....

Cabdamagefront.jpgCabdamagefront.jpg Cabpaintplanking.jpgCabpaintplanking.jpg Frontnewdecals.jpgFrontnewdecals.jpg Insertssandedandlevel2.jpgInsertssandedandlevel2.jpg

#64 10 years ago

bump, for the power of the wind.

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

bump, for the power of the wind.

Here it comes......

#66 10 years ago

Does anyone have the link to the photo that shows where the 455 bulbs go behind the backglass? I remember a post with a photo where the locations were circled, but I can't get it to come up when I search.

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Does anyone have the link to the photo that shows where the 455 bulbs go behind the backglass? I remember a post with a photo where the locations were circled, but I can't get it to come up when I search.

If it is like ES, the 455 spots will have bigger holes around the sockets, while the standard 44/47 sockets will not have bigger holes around the sockets.

#68 10 years ago

I believe this was the photo.

SAM_1440.JPGSAM_1440.JPG

#69 10 years ago

Dear old playfield,

It's been a great ride .... "Now get out!!"

DSC02613.JPGDSC02613.JPG

#70 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

No. Mine will go about 1/3 of the way up, but it is not designed to shoot the ball through the ramp. The skill shot is hitting the drop target(s), which if you miss, usually leads to a left outlane drain.

Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Although some are setup this way, it is not correct. The skill shot is the center drop target so the shooter spring is similar to the one in TZ...very spongy. If you slam the shooter, the ball will take the orbit above the upper left ramp and come around to the upper flipper. This is the way it is supposed to be.

Quoted from mof:

I don't believe so, it should "set up" the million shot by taking the inner orbit. Mine does that 3/4 shots on full strength, and sometimes just donks out on a post. I've adjusted mine to achieve this, since it was hitting the post between the ramp and inner orbit 4/5 times before the adjustment.
Please to enjoy!
-mof

Thanks guys.
I noticed the Pinball Arcade version did that and thought it was odd.

#71 10 years ago

per the manual...

whirlwind-pic.gifwhirlwind-pic.gif

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

per the manual...

Thanks. Maybe I should start actually reading the manuals.

#73 10 years ago

That was the one thanks Trapper.

#74 10 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

per the manual...

Wow... thank you. I had asked for more info about this mysterious screw before in another thread and noone replied.

#75 10 years ago

I hate the fact that the blinkers in the back box flash with the GI. When you have LEDs for flashers it takes a minuet for them to get out of sync and look like regular blinkers.

#76 10 years ago

ok, the end of stroke switch on my left flipper broke. I replaced it and its working again. the flipper seemed a little weak so I lifted the playfield. the coil was hot! I looked to see that the end of stroke switch was not properly breaking contact. I adjusted it and it is playing fine. I turned it off to let it cool down. would the eos switch be the cause of the coil getting hot? the right flipper coils are cool to the touch.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

ok, the end of stroke switch on my left flipper broke. I replaced it and its working again. the flipper seemed a little weak so I lifted the playfield. the coil was hot! I looked to see that the end of stroke switch was not properly breaking contact. I adjusted it and it is playing fine. I turned it off to let it cool down. would the eos switch be the cause of the coil getting hot? the right flipper coils are cool to the touch.

Yes. If the eos isn't gapped right your coil never switches over to the low power hold.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Yes. If the eos isn't gapped right your coil never switches over to the low power hold.

that's what I thought. cool. so how goes your whirlwind restoration?

#79 10 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

that's what I thought. cool. so how goes your Whirlwind restoration?

It is playable right now, which is what I wanted. It will get torn down and shopped after the dw and bowler are completed. It really needs new rubbers, but it can wait for a bit

#80 10 years ago

I love my WhirlWind, it's my favorite pin. Restored and not going anywhere!

IMG_0103.JPGIMG_0103.JPG

#81 10 years ago

Loving my WW. Picked it up at the TPF in March. Professionally restored. It's a beauty now and plays like a dream. Also put in one of Rob Anthony's NVRAMs. No more batteries!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#82 10 years ago

Beaut !!

#83 10 years ago

Count me in! My Whirlwind is in decent shape but I love it so much that I am going to do a full restore one of these days.

#84 10 years ago

Just added a lit up shooter lane. I thought it was important so that it's easier to see the skill shot in low light situations. I just had to drill one tiny hole, and link into a GI bulb. I'll likely make a new post on it. I realize it's the wrong bulb type, I just wanted to see the blue come through... I have the flex in white only right now, which would be much brighter and I'd have more control over the direction of the light.

Good fun. I think I need to make the hole a little wider. I think this one was 3/16".

-mof

20130915-WW-shooter.jpg20130915-WW-shooter.jpg 20130915-WW-shooter2.jpg20130915-WW-shooter2.jpg

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Just added a lit up shooter lane.

This is actually a really cool idea, thanks for sharing.

#86 10 years ago

Whirlwind was the first machine I ever bought, for $600! just needed a new power supply. I was so proud after I figured out how to fix it, that I sold it for $1600, thinking I was really smart for making a profit. Worst decision I ever made. Will never flip again.

if any of you guys ever sell your WW, let me know.

#87 10 years ago

Hi again, Whirlwind Owners!

This has been such a fun thread. Love seeing the various mods. I did a copious restoration thread on my website for the Whirlwind fan topper:

http://www.elephanteater.com/8088

I thought I'd post just a few pics here to whet your appetite. When I got it, the topper was extremely yellowed and through a series of steps (see URL above) I fixed a number of problems and brought it back to it's original shiny glory:

firstGameTopper-420x591.jpgfirstGameTopper-420x591.jpg

compareCenter.jpgcompareCenter.jpg

compareCorner1.jpgcompareCorner1.jpg

IMAG0718.jpgIMAG0718.jpg
DSC06190.jpgDSC06190.jpg

Hope you enjoy it,
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#89 10 years ago

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Games/whirl.html

Here is a link for a blue topper if anyone is interested - and the decals he sells for the spinners are AWESOME!

#90 10 years ago

Whirlwind was the first machine I ever bought, for $600! just needed a new power supply. I was so proud after I figured out how to fix it, that I sold it for $1600, thinking I was really smart for making a profit. Worst decision I ever made. Will never flip again.
if any of you guys ever sell your WW, let me know.

That is funny, here is your old whirlwind in this youtube

Looks a little different doesn't it

And here it sits at last year's Texas pinball festival.

IMG-20130315-00272.jpgIMG-20130315-00272.jpg IMG_00000117.jpgIMG_00000117.jpg

#91 10 years ago

I bought a new topper because I don't have Ryan's talent. If anyone wants one to bring back to life, let me know.

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

That is funny, here is your old Whirlwind in this youtube
Looks a little different doesn't it
» YouTube video
And here it sits at last year's Texas pinball festival.

Give it back. Pretty sure I thought you said you were new to pinball and only bought it because your daughter wanted it? Senior pinhead?

#93 10 years ago

Glad to see there's a thread dedicated to Whirlwind fans! (no pun intended)
Simply a great machine that will stay with me for A LONG time...

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Amarillopinball:

Give it back. Pretty sure I thought you said you were new to pinball and only bought it because your daughter wanted it? Senior pinhead?

That WAS my first one. Stupid addicting hobby. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, now it's almost like restoring a car to me. I got it for her as an early Xmas present but now it's kinda more mine cause I play it more than anyone else lol

Leave it to pinside......

#95 10 years ago

What will it take

Quoted from Capper96:That WAS my first one. Stupid addicting hobby. I didn't have a clue what I was doing, now it's almost like restoring a car to me. I got it for her as an early Xmas present but now it's kinda more mine cause I play it more than anyone else lol
Leave it to pinside......

What will it take to buy it back? Interested in trading for an ID4?

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

I bought a new topper because I don't have Ryan's talent.

Ha-ha! There's more than one way to skin a cat. Thanks for the kind words, Boo32.

Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
http://www.ElephantEater.com

#97 10 years ago

Im in, one of my favorite games. Mine was cruddy when we bought it, but currently undergoing a complete cleaning and overhaul. It won't be mint, but will be very nice. Love it !

1 month later
#98 10 years ago

Well looky here...

Whirlwind posterized ramp 2.JPGWhirlwind posterized ramp 2.JPG

#99 10 years ago

I've had my table (my first) for less than a month and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Still in the getting-to-know-you phase of the relationship as I work my way though it, crossing jobs off the task list while steadily adding new items. Have used a lot of online suppliers, intentionally sampling different outfits to see what they're like. Also have used my local glass shop to replace both pieces of glass. Next up are the flippers, which have all wrong coils including mismatched left and right - going to do the Fliptronic style. I like the topper mods I see here too so I guess I'll add that to my list!

#100 10 years ago

November Challenge!!! Who can achieve the highest score this month? pic for proof

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Fort Worth, TX
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

There are 5,441 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.