Topic Stats

• 3,035 posts
  • 328 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by yaksplat
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 825 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

E6EC59DD-2570-4E9A-A0B8-2FB9B802EAD1 (resized).jpeg
11416D40-0336-437C-BFA0-CCF26EE18026 (resized).png
20190916_092115 (resized).jpg
20190915_113212 (resized).jpg
20190914_125843 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
ww (resized).PNG
E348C22F-3340-44CC-8858-0AE8241F6FF5 (resized).jpeg
0D98A271-7F16-46C3-B201-08B502057E6B (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190912_203457 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Untitled (resized).jpg
image1 (resized).jpg
DSCN4234 (resized).jpg (© Nutty 5.0)
DSCN4646 (resized).JPG (© Nutty 5.0)
whw (resized).jpg

There are 3035 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 61.
#901 3 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

I can tell you that the PinBits protector for that piece didn't hold up on location.

I designed/cnc machined all my WW protectors out of 1/16 polycarbonate.

I've never seen/heard of any of my protectors breaking.

#902 3 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Location pinball is a totally different beast & this particular plastic is just prone to a beating. Had the protector not been there, I'm sure my plastic would have busted. Hell, I've even had a few Cliffy protectors fail on me after a while. Things just wear out from the abuse of thousands of plays. I'd buy again, but I'd just reinforce this particular spot in a non-home environment. Thankfully, it's off-route now awaiting a playfield.

image_(resized).jpeg

#903 3 years ago

nicely done i 'm gonna do the same on my plastics ,it's so difficult to find them in good shape

#904 3 years ago

I scored an unopened set of CPR plastics! But now I'm a bit worried about the pinbits set not holding up to the abuse.

Quoted from indypinhead:

I purchased indypinhead's custom protectors for my BSD- they look great and seem stronger than the typical protectors. I would absolutely love to buy a set for Whirlwind. Maybe if there is enough demand he'd produce a run of sets. Anyone else needing these?

#905 3 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

this particular plastic is just prone to a beating.

Mine is shredded.

#906 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I scored an unopened set of CPR plastics! But now I'm a bit worried about the pinbits set not holding up to the abuse.

I purchased indypinhead's custom protectors for my BSD- they look great and seem stronger than the typical protectors. I would absolutely love to buy a set for Whirlwind. Maybe if there is enough demand he'd produce a run of sets. Anyone else needing these?

If your game is home use, you may not need to worry about it. Barron's is out on route.

#907 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

If your game is home use, you may not need to worry about it. Barron's is out on route.

Yes. I wouldn't be concerned in a home use setting. I was talking about a pin in a very high volume location & was only suggesting doubling up in some fashion on that one particular post since you'd have the game apart. Better safe than sorry.

#908 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

Oh... I thought he was saying he WAS Pinbits.

#909 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

This is on my to-do list.

Quoted from Barron:Oh... I thought he was saying he WAS Pinbits.

No, I'm not pinbits.

As far as I know, I'm the only one making protectors w/ polycarbonate. My protectors are cnc machined, not laser cut.

#910 3 years ago

So, as some of you may have seen this past week. That new sealed WW plastic set sold at $213, I predicted $200.

ebay.com link » Nos Whirlwind Pinball Plastic Set Cpr

Now, I noticed He's recently listed another whole new set, but this time it's BIN at $295. I also noticed that he used the same exact photo from his last auction. So, either the set did sell for $213 and he was sitting on another whole new set, or the set sold but was never paid for so he then re-listed it, at the same time raising the asking price and then adding the option to make an offer.

Now, Is it just me, or do things seem kinda sketchy?

#911 3 years ago

I won the set for $213 and paid immediately after auction ended, so I hope that it was mailed.

I'm not a big ebayer, this was my first auction in what seems like a decade. Can the seller see bids? Because I bid higher than 213 and was pleasantly surprised when it ended.

#912 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

I won the set for $213 and paid immediately after auction ended, so I hope that it was mailed.
I'm not a big ebayer, this was my first auction in what seems like a decade. Can the seller see bids? Because I bid higher than 213 and was pleasantly surprised when it ended.

Oh then congrats!! Yes, the seller can see bids, but can not identify who the buyer is until the auction ends. I wonder how many more sets he is sitting on, and who has the need to buy two sets at once? Maybe as an investment? lol

#913 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

The seller cannot see your max though. Only the amount you won the auction for

#914 3 years ago

Im in, A good players condition. First impressions game seems 100% functional except two missing display segments and a few bulbs in the pops. It should clean up nice with an LED job and a spit shine. 1860$

image_(resized).jpg

#915 3 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Im in, A good players condition. First impressions game seems 100% functional except two missing display segments and a few bulbs in the pops. It should clean up nice with an LED job and a spit shine. 1860$

image_(resized).jpg

well welcome in the club!!

#916 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Now, Is it just me, or do things seem kinda sketchy?

If it's Hemisphere Pinball in IL, they are a legit retailer of new and used. I actually bought 1 game from him--WW as a matter of fact. He probably had stocked up at some point because they restore games...probably cashing in on the shortage of these plastics.

#917 3 years ago

Guy i bought it from threw in(literally) a new bag of plastics after i noticed remote battery cuircut wires were loose to the board causing a factory reset after power up. I need three big ones so far, anyone need some? Im using these...

image_(resized).jpg

#919 3 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

Location pinball is a totally different beast & this particular plastic is just prone to a beating. Had the protector not been there, I'm sure my plastic would have busted. Hell, I've even had a few Cliffy protectors fail on me after a while. Things just wear out from the abuse of thousands of plays. I'd buy again, but I'd just reinforce this particular spot in a non-home environment. Thankfully, it's off-route now awaiting a playfield.
image_(resized).jpeg

Sorry what piece are we looking at in this pic?

#920 3 years ago

The plastic above the three skill shot drop targets.

#921 3 years ago

The plastic above the three skill shot drop targets can be found for purchase here:
http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/3982/whirlwind-plastic-31-1006-574-6-sp

#922 3 years ago

Does anyone have a detailed set of reassembly pictures? I'd really like to compare some of the posts I have and figure out where some of the smaller plastics go.

Plastic set from ebay arrived safely.

#923 3 years ago

here you go:

IMAGE_1957_(resized).jpg

IMAGE_1959_(resized).jpg

IMAGE_1958_(resized).jpg

IMAGE_1960_(resized).jpg

#924 3 years ago

Hey all

Couple quick questions ... anyone find a close match for Whirlwind Blue in a rattle can? I have some cab touch ups to do.

Also, a part was scavenged from my PS, and I have no idea what I should be replacing it with. Have a look at the pic.

Thanks in advance!

20160316_161038_(resized).jpg

#925 3 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

anyone find a close match for Whirlwind Blue in a rattle can? I have some cab touch ups to do

Even if there was, I'd imagine every cabinet has different fade. You are honestly better off getting some paint chip cards from the store and seeing which one matches the closest. You may have to paint the whole area. If you need a mask, I recommend frisket (or clear shelf liner) and an xacto knife.

There's also liquid frisket now where you paint an outline (in this case, you're trying to protect an edge), and then after you're done painting you just rub it away:

#926 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Even if there was, I'd imagine every cabinet has different fade.

I'm actually just doing the play field back board, and possibly the inside of the cab. Not touching the outside at all.

#927 3 years ago

Wow, that is a nice looking playfield

#928 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Thanks. It's an original Diamond Plate PF that HEP restored. Came out beautiful

#929 3 years ago

Thanks for the pics. Damn nice clean machine! Whirlwind is really hitting the spot for me... been missing some sys11 goodness.

#930 3 years ago
Quoted from mac622:

It's an original Diamond Plate PF that HEP restored.

it should look nice then!

#931 3 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Agreed.

Quoted from smokedog:

... anyone find a close match for Whirlwind Blue in a rattle can?

Quoted from toyotaboy:

Even if there was, I'd imagine every cabinet has different fade. You are honestly better off getting some paint chip cards from the store and seeing which one matches the closest.

Agreed again. I was contemplating an apron re-paint (still am) with a Whirlwind blue, but there was NO match in rattle cans. ...and honestly, I think the alternatives would look pretty garish against the existing blue. ...but I'm a picky artist.

#932 3 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

a part was scavenged from my PS, and I have no idea what I should be replacing it with. Have a look at the pic.

Anyone? I don't think it is a specific item to WW.

#933 3 years ago

So that looks like the utility/service panel inside the cabinet... I can see what looks like the AC outlet and fuse line, and the wiring is appropriately colored. If I recall correctly the power cord should feed into here before it reaches the transformer, and it should be easy to wire back up but I don't have a reference in front of me. I think the AC line filter varistor is contained in here as well, and would definitely be "missing" in that photo. You'd want that varistor to blow in the worst case before a line surge takes out the transformer or other parts.

#934 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

AC line filter varistor

I think that's the ticket! Now, to figure out a part #. We have a pretty good local store that should carry what I need.

#935 3 years ago

Woot!!! Look what just arrived from Pinball Center!! I got this in 8 days using the cheapest shipping and didn't expect to see it for at least a month. I just wanted to give you guys my little personal review on the piece. I am very pleased with the piece in general. But I did find two things with it. The holes look to be lazer cut and will need to be pushed through and cleaned up, and the color may not be exact. Also, the print looks like a paper texture. Either way I am just glad to have something instead of nothing. I definitely will not hesitate to order from them again.

1458751814824.jpg

IMG_20160323_125234.jpg

IMG_20160323_125300.jpg

IMG_20160323_125324.jpg

IMG_20160323_125338.jpg

#936 3 years ago

Hey guys, is the right orbit suppose to drive the ball right into the yellow pops or go through them?

#937 3 years ago

What a steal!!!!

ebay.com link » Whirlwind Pinball Reproduction Playfield

1 week later
#938 3 years ago

Where is everyone? Has Anyone had any powder coating done to their WW? I'm trying to get color ideas for mine.

#939 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Where is everyone? Has Anyone had any powder coating done to their WW? I'm trying to get color ideas for mine.

I saw one done in white that I thought looked really slick. If I ever decided to PC mine, that's probably the color I'd choose. What other colors are you considering?

#940 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

I saw one done in white that I thought looked really slick. If I ever decided to PC mine, that's probably the color I'd choose. What other colors are you considering?

I was thinking possibly one shade of blue lighter than the cabinet

#941 3 years ago

Anyone have experience replacing the spinner decals? I ordered some new ones from Marco, anything special I have to do? Do they pull up easy? Do I have to scrape them off? etc.

#942 3 years ago

Just listed my restored Whirlwind for sale in the Marketplace. Love the game but feel the need to shake up the lineup!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-whirlwind-williams-1990-1998

#943 3 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Anyone have experience replacing the spinner decals? I ordered some new ones from Marco, anything special I have to do? Do they pull up easy? Do I have to scrape them off? etc.

They just peel right off.I just cleaned the excess glue off with alcohol and reinstalled the new stickers.

#944 3 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

They just peel right off.I just cleaned the excess glue off with alcohol and reinstalled the new stickers.

Thankyou kindly

#945 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Just listed my restored Whirlwind for sale in the Marketplace. Love the game but feel the need to shake up the lineup!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-whirlwind-williams-1990-1998

Wow. That's gorgeous. GLWS!

#946 3 years ago

About to start cleaning whirlwind. If I wanted to remove the disks does it make more sense to desolder the 2 wires on the small board, or do the disks easily remove with the plastic nut twisted off?

#947 3 years ago
Quoted from MMP:

About to start cleaning whirlwind. If I wanted to remove the disks does it make more sense to desolder the 2 wires on the small board, or do the disks easily remove with the plastic nut twisted off?

I just changed mine. I just did it right on the playfield. They all came off with just sliding a knife under an edge and pulling up, one tore out at the centre but the pieces came off easily. I did notice the replacements were a tad smaller.

IMG_1676_(resized).JPG

#948 3 years ago
Quoted from sohchx:

Has Anyone had any powder coating done to their WW?

I'm in the middle of a PF swap. But here are some picts of the legs, bolts and top of the lock down bar receiver powder coated to 1 shade darker than the cabinet. I think it looks great against the fresh paint and new graphics.

0424141451_(resized).jpg

WW_Powdercoating_(resized).jpg

#949 3 years ago

Does anyone here know where to purchase replacement disk decals that are sort of rubbery so that it grabs the ball more? Mine feel a little more like hard/sand-papery than grippy.

#950 3 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Does anyone here know where to purchase replacement disk decals that are sort of rubbery so that it grabs the ball more? Mine feel a little more like hard/sand-papery than grippy.

I think they are all made pretty much the same way. I have a new set on my machine and a new set on the sheet. Both have the same texture.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Mansfield, OH
There are 3035 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 61.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside