Topic Stats

• 2,940 posts
  • 323 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 786 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190815_180345 (resized).jpg
20190804_150315 (resized).jpg
20170924_001356 (resized).jpg
sy11rb1_a03a (resized).jpg
20180506_201111 (resized).jpg
k (resized).PNG
IMG_20190804_213034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190804_171604 (resized).jpg
74D7149E-477F-4937-B723-EF2B0C09EBEA (resized).jpeg
20190802_223221 (resized).jpg
20190802_223304 (resized).jpg
ww (resized).jpg
20190710_221746 (resized).jpg
A0991078-054B-4A19-B0D0-0A64F7BF39D2 (resized).jpeg
F93A6D28-181A-4650-A5E5-98C1D564E272 (resized).jpeg
5F598813-083C-42E4-A2E4-5EBFA4469040 (resized).jpeg

There are 2940 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 59.
#501 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

anyone had any luck cleaning/polishing the topper with novus as opposed to repainting it?

yellowing is usually caused by the flame retardant leaking out of the plastic after so many years. Do a search for "retrobrite", there's even youtube videos how to make it. Can remove most of the yellowing, but I'm not sure if that has any effect on the integrity of the plastic.

#502 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

anyone had any luck cleaning/polishing the topper with novus as opposed to repainting it? I would think novus would remove the yellow

I used Magic erasure and 91% alcohol to clean the "skull" on my No Fear, being careful not to get any on the black or colored inserts. When I had it cleaned / brightened up, I then waxed it with some liquid carnuba wax. I came out looking almost new. Don't know if that would work for the Topper but you could test on a small inconspicuous spot first.

#503 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I found one from a dude with some experience. he said to build up/level the worn spot with wood putty first, then place and go. i will get it and let you know what happens with some before and after. Hopefully the after wont wont be a picture of it in my garbage can covered with coffee grounds and cigarette butts...

How are you going to deal with the mylar that is on the PF where the decal will be placed?

#504 4 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

How are you going to deal with the mylar that is on the PF where the decal will be placed?

not sure. I have to get a good picture of the decal then take a closer look at the place where it will go and determine if it's gonna be a huge pain. I will post the decision or results.

#505 4 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I need to install spinner decals on our Whirlwind. Specifically the one in the upper right orbit. They are a holographic image. Can anyone recommend where and what to buy?

If you're still looking for the spinner decals take look at my post on page 9 of this thread. If they're something you would be interested in I'll pop a couple in the mail for you.

#506 4 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

What about where the PF is worn down (uneven) from the ball as it crosses from PF to the spinning disks and also the existing Mylar, if game has it, on the PF up to the spinning disk cutouts.?

You may have to adjust the discs themselves under the playfield.

#507 4 years ago

If anyone has a used but descent shape speaker panel for this (the plastic) I could use it. At some point in its life it looks like it took some hot solder hits or something.

#508 4 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

If anyone has a used but descent shape speaker panel for this (the plastic) I could use it. At some point in its life it looks like it took some hot solder hits or something.

I have one. Pm me

2 weeks later
#509 4 years ago

Just picked up a Whirlwind with a bad display, so I put a blue Rottendog in it. I like it!

2014-12-11 18.22.36-597.jpg
#510 4 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

Just picked up a Whirlwind with a bad display, so I put a blue Rottendog in it. I like it!

do you run into any gravity issues while playing?

2014-12-11 18.22.36-597.jpg 158 KB

#511 4 years ago

A little, but at least I can play while lying down.

#512 4 years ago
Quoted from johninc:

A little, but at least I can play while lying down.

haha awesome. if you were to go look at some of my previous posts you will see some sideways sh_t there too

#513 4 years ago

new whirlwind member here..if while in attract mode my game shows a whirlwind t-shirt offer and phone number...does that mean that i have original roms.....what is the current level available and where do i get them....how about sound chips?

#514 4 years ago

Where to buy: http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=ROMS383

Latest version: (link above) shows the latest for each of the ROM chips.

Side note..... has anyone tried calling that number? I really want a whirlwind t-shirt!!!

#516 4 years ago

But my pinball machine said it was only $9.95 !!!!

Thank you sir! On my Christmas list now!

#517 4 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

But my pinball machine said it was only $9.95 !!!!

LOL....yeah, mine says that too.

I have one on order as well.

2 weeks later
#518 4 years ago

Just did LED's in my flashers and now the flippers activate the flashers briefly when flipped. Is this causes by a temporary short somewhere, or...

Tia

#519 4 years ago

Just did LED's in my flashers and now the flippers activate the flashers briefly when flipped. Is this causes by a temporary short somewhere, or...
Tia

Read this thread:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-warming-resistors

#521 4 years ago

I'm almost finished with my Whirlwind, but am having problems with the bumper lighting. I must have the bumper sockets wired up incorrectly. I'm attaching a picture of how my top bumpers are wired up, and the bottom bumpers. If someone can take some good pictures of theirs and either post them or email them to me I'd really appreciate it!

The first on is the top bumpers. The second one is the lower bumpers. The only bumper that lights is the upper right bumper. All others and the cellar lights don't light up.

IMG_1610.JPG IMG_1611.JPG
#522 4 years ago

One other request. Can someone verify the correct coil for the cellar kick-out? Mine is very anemic even after a new sleeve. The solenoid table call for an AE-23-800 but the assembly parts list calls for a AE-26-1500.

#523 4 years ago

Tia

Mine does the same thing. Its a dim flash every time you flip? I am guessing it's being caused by eddy currents. Normal bulbs will do nothing but LEDs are so efficient that it causes them to light up. I could be completely wrong, but that's my guess.

#524 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

I'm almost finished with my Whirlwind, but am having problems with the bumper lighting. I must have the bumper sockets wired up incorrectly. I'm attaching a picture of how my top bumpers are wired up, and the bottom bumpers. If someone can take some good pictures of theirs and either post them or email them to me I'd really appreciate it!
The first on is the top bumpers. The second one is the lower bumpers. The only bumper that lights is the upper right bumper. All others and the cellar lights don't light up.

IMG_1610.JPG 260 KB

IMG_1611.JPG 241 KB

Did you hit the advance Jet bumper target to see if that lights any of the other bumpers? The game starts out with just one upper and one lower bumper lit.

#525 4 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

Mine does the same thing. Its a dim flash every time you flip? I am guessing it's being caused by eddy currents. Normal bulbs will do nothing but LEDs are so efficient that it causes them to light up. I could be completely wrong, but that's my guess.

There is a fix, a couple posts up. Includes removing a few diodes from the aux power board and adding some to a few coils under the playfiled.

#526 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Did you hit the advance Jet bumper target to see if that lights any of the other bumpers? The game starts out with just one upper and one lower bumper lit.

Yes, in the "all lamps" testing, only the upper right bumper lights. All other bumpers and both cellar lights do not light.

#527 4 years ago

20150105_204750.jpg20150105_204754.jpg20150105_204757.jpg20150105_204805.jpg20150105_204809.jpg20150105_204813.jpg20150105_204745.jpg20150105_204741.jpg

#528 4 years ago

Figured out my issue. In Toyotaboy's last picture you can barely see that they had connected and soldered two of the bumper light socket leads together. They did the same on the other set. I didn't have these connected when I stapled them back to the board. Once jumpered, all lights are working.

#529 4 years ago

Got to really play WW for the first time last night. Got the Super Cellar award twice, awesome! I've gotten a little better as a player, I was never close to this back in the day. Quite the bonus!

#530 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

I was never close to this back in the day

back in the day (when I was 16), I was happy if I got the fan to spin

#531 4 years ago

Anyone in PA/MD/VA area looking to sell or trade one of these? Have a very nice DM I'd put up (but not my Shadow - everyone seems to want that one).

#532 4 years ago

good luck dumping (sorry I meant trading ) a DM for a Wwind. Everyone wants your TS because it is a much more comparable trade.

#533 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

good luck dumping (sorry I meant trading ) a DM for a Wwind. Everyone wants your TS because it is a much more comparable trade.

Everyone wants the TS because it is far superior to Whirlwind. DM is of similar value, and rightly so.

#534 4 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

DM is of similar value...(to Whirlwind)

Not in my book
Just the backglass alone with those horrible mugs makes it a Not-In-My-House pin.
Happy to throw some quarters on it in the wild, but could not deal with seeing it on a daily basis.
A lot of the joy of pinball to me is their beauty and a DM in the line up would just kill the whole effect, where WW is a joy to behold AND play.
Not to trash the gameplay, but really, Uhg.
Good luck with trade!

#535 4 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

Everyone wants the TS because it is far superior to Whirlwind. DM is of similar value, and rightly so.

LOL.

Guessing you wont be getting a Wwind anytime soon then.

#536 4 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Not in my book
Just the backglass alone with those horrible mugs makes it a Not-In-My-House pin.
Happy to throw some quarters on it in the wild, but could not deal with seeing it on a daily basis.
A lot of the joy of pinball to me is their beauty and a DM in the line up would just kill the whole effect, where WW is a joy to behold AND play.
Not to trash the gameplay, but really, Uhg.
Good luck with trade!

LOL. This is not the thread to get into such a discussion. I think it's a tradeoff. DM is definitely faster and more modern, plus it's a widebody. Whirlwind is perhaps "nicer" looking...sorta depends on the person. Either way, the market indicates they are about the same in value, so apparently there is room for disagreement on that. I'm seeing Whirlwinds actually sell at around $2000, and same for DM.

By your thinking, no one would want a Shadow and its value would be in the toilet - yet it is shooting up in value because of gameplay.

#537 4 years ago
Quoted from Carl_694:

I'm seeing Whirlwinds actually sell at around $2000, and same for DM.

Then your best bet is to sell DM and go buy Wwind. Unlikely you will find that trade straight up unless your DM is great condition and the Wwind is pretty routed out and needs love.

#538 4 years ago

Perhaps. It's true that my DM is quite nice! LOL. Definitely don't mean to bash Whirlwind - it's a great game. I just think they both have their pros and cons, and seem to be of similar value +/- a couple hundred.

Take care!
Carl

#539 4 years ago

DM ought to be worth more than WW (widebody, DMD, tons of ramps, lots of great modes), but unfortunately the market disagrees. An average DM is worth $1800 all day long, a WW is more like $2400. Hence why nobody will pry mine from my cold dead hand now that I own one, it's ridiculous how high the value has gone up. It's approaching funhouse money.

#540 4 years ago

Hi all,

does anyone have a close up picture of the interconnect pcb, specifically J7 to the backboard inserts lights?
i have only the upperleft lights on; the logo and rightside are out. Might be because i have only 5 wires into the J7 plug with a lose wire (brown with blue band)in the loom close to the plug. Looks like this lose wire is suppose to go on as well but i'm reluctant to do so in case I damage something. This lose wire connects to the small pcb on the insertboard and looks to power the relay switch...

any help welcome

#541 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

does anyone have a close up picture of the interconnect pcb, specifically J7 to the backboard inserts lights?

Here ya go!
original angle
better angle

#542 4 years ago

thanks...
looks the same on my game. So no wrongs on that one. Still wondering what that brown/blue loose wire is for. It connects to the pcb on the inside of the backboard.
On your game where does that wire connect on the interconnect? (if it connects somewhere at all?)
i'll post pic in a minute or so...

#543 4 years ago

Here are two pics. First one shows connector plugged in. Second one shows better view of loose wire in the same loom from the insert light backboard which connects to small pcb with realy on it...

WW2.JPG WW3.JPG
#544 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

Here are two pics. First one shows connector plugged in. Second one shows better view of loose wire in the same loom from the insert light backboard which connects to small pcb with realy on it...

WW2.JPG 142 KB

WW3.JPG 193 KB

I believe that goes on the far right pin on J11. Does it come from the display/speaker panel? If you look at the pictures Pinballholder posted you'll see it there. Mine came loose on mine during my restore, so I'm familiar with it.

#545 4 years ago

What Dewey68 said.

2015-01-13 10.44.42.jpg
#546 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

I believe that goes on the far right pin on J11. Does it come from the display/speaker panel? If you look at the pictures Pinballholder posted you'll see it there. Mine came loose on mine during my restore, so I'm familiar with it.

You mean pin 1 on J11 where it says 'to insert f/lamps' on that connector. Actually, pin 1 is the only occupied pin on that connector, right?
Where you said "display/speaker panel" you meant insertpanel? Because the other end of that wire goes to the small pcb on the backside of the insertpanel.
J11 goes to the relay that controls the flashing lamps on the insertpanel...

#547 4 years ago

Man, I love Whirlwind. Such a brutal but yet fulfilling pinball experience. A fine system 11, and has a little more complexity than people give it credit for. Getting multiball primed and stacking quick multiball on that does have its benefits, and not entirely easy to do...let alone hit the jackpot shot in the chaos.

Of course I failed miserably when I did that tonight, but at least I fell back on Cellar Multiball to get a few million...

#548 4 years ago

Posted in another thread talking about what a HEP Wwind may cost, but figured worth sharing number in the owners thread.

Here is the parts tally for a nice base Wwind that was restored

Quoted from MikeS:

My guess is $7-8K based on all the parts needed and labor. I kept a spreadsheet of all the parts I needed to buy when I restored my Whirlwind. Over $2200 in parts alone! On a HEP restore you'd also have to add about $4-5K in labor plus the cost of a base game.
Cost
Part
New Legs & leg protectors $75.00
Playfield & plastic set $850.00
Mirrored backglass $240.00
Lift Ramp Assembly $50.00
Ramp Set $225.00
plastic topper w/ decals $90.00
Topper motor $90.00
Topper blade $15.00
topper triac board $50.00
cliffy protectors & guides $74.00
Bulbs & rubber kit/cliffy posts/sleeves $100.00
Misc. Hardware/parts $50.00
Replacement Speaker $20.00
Flipper rebuild kits $50.00
pop bumper caps $10.00
drop targets & decals $12.00
New stand up targets (5) $35.00
New coils (3) $30.00
playfield Spinner decals $20.00
New flipper bats $10.00
New shiny balls $5.00
Electronic components/ROMs $20.00
paint/bondo/supplies $30.00
bolts & leg levelers $12.00
Playfield Decals (Just graphics) $50.00
$2,213.00

#549 4 years ago

Glad I only paid 1900 for mine with an unopened set of plastics! Fair deal for sure, one of the best non diamond plate original playfields I've seen.

#550 4 years ago
Quoted from Jeroen:

You mean pin 1 on J11 where it says 'to insert f/lamps' on that connector. Actually, pin 1 is the only occupied pin on that connector, right?
Where you said "display/speaker panel" you meant insertpanel? Because the other end of that wire goes to the small pcb on the backside of the insertpanel.
J11 goes to the relay that controls the flashing lamps on the insertpanel...

The Brown/Grey wire from that bundle goes to pin 1 on J11 - it's the only wire on that connector. It's listed on page 98 of the schematics at the bottom of the second column on the list of connectors for the Interconnect Board. I had to reconnect mine too as someone had cut the wire near the connector.

IMG_0012.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 50.00
Machine - For Sale
Gardner, MA
$ 399.95
$ 40.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 2940 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 59.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside