Topic Stats

• 2,940 posts
  • 323 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by ccbiggsoo7
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 786 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190815_180345 (resized).jpg
20190804_150315 (resized).jpg
20170924_001356 (resized).jpg
sy11rb1_a03a (resized).jpg
20180506_201111 (resized).jpg
k (resized).PNG
IMG_20190804_213034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190804_171604 (resized).jpg
74D7149E-477F-4937-B723-EF2B0C09EBEA (resized).jpeg
20190802_223221 (resized).jpg
20190802_223304 (resized).jpg
ww (resized).jpg
20190710_221746 (resized).jpg
A0991078-054B-4A19-B0D0-0A64F7BF39D2 (resized).jpeg
F93A6D28-181A-4650-A5E5-98C1D564E272 (resized).jpeg
5F598813-083C-42E4-A2E4-5EBFA4469040 (resized).jpeg

There are 2940 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 59.
#451 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I seriously had the game of my life on WW this morning. This is all glass on, three ball, factory settings. Mega Door bonus three times. I think four multiballs. Tolls maxed during ball 1. Every extra ball..I think, I lost count.
Best part is I'm temp trading it to a friend tomorrow. It's like the game is begging me to keep her around. Think it's a sign? Lol

That is an impressive score 75MM!!

I agree that Whirlwind is one of the few machines that I dont want to give up either.

#452 4 years ago

That doubles my 34m I was so proud of

#453 4 years ago

Another picture request. I need the orientation of the wires running to the ball lock launch mechanism and the mechanism that kicks the ball from the outhole into the trough if anyone has those. Or if someone can just explain which lug gets the power wire that would work too.

Thanks!

Edit: Thinking about this, does it matter which way these coils get wired up?

Post edited by Dewey68: Added a question

#454 4 years ago

Any source of where i could find the plastic above the skill shot (above 3 drop target bank). At one time Alan Meyer repro'd these many years ago. It is the only piece broke on my playfield. I hate to have to buy an entire set for just 1 piece.

#455 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Another picture request. I need the orientation of the wires running to the ball lock launch mechanism and the mechanism that kicks the ball from the outhole into the trough if anyone has those. Or if someone can just explain which lug gets the power wire that would work too.
Thanks!
Edit: Thinking about this, does it matter which way these coils get wired up?
Post edited by Dewey68: Added a question

Hope this helps.

DSC02043.JPG DSC02047.JPG
#456 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnDelNJ:

Hope this helps.

DSC02043.JPG 200 KB

DSC02047.JPG 213 KB

Thank you sir. Does it even matter which way these coils are wired up? I'm thinking it doesn't.

#457 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Thank you sir. Does it even matter which way these coils are wired up? I'm thinking it doesn't.

Yes, it does matter. If you mis-wire it the diode associated with the coil will short out.

#458 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I seriously had the game of my life on WW this morning. This is all glass on, three ball, factory settings. Mega Door bonus three times. I think four multiballs. Tolls maxed during ball 1. Every extra ball..I think, I lost count.
Best part is I'm temp trading it to a friend tomorrow. It's like the game is begging me to keep her around. Think it's a sign? Lol

IMAG1869.jpg 205 KB

Awesome score!

1 week later
#459 4 years ago

Just joined the club last night, haven't even got a chance to set it up (but played it before packing up)

Quoted from hassellcastle:

Any source of where i could find the plastic above the skill shot (above 3 drop target bank). At one time Alan Meyer repro'd these many years ago. It is the only piece broke on my playfield. I hate to have to buy an entire set for just 1 piece.

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/whirlwind-plastic-3110065746-p-4262.html?language=english

#460 4 years ago

Finally, I am in! Had to leave the Comet and Pin*bot club to do it, but so worth it.

WP_20141101_16_36_54_Pro.jpg

#461 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballholder:

Finally, I am in! Had to leave the Comet and Pin*bot club to do it, but so worth it.

WP_20141101_16_36_54_Pro.jpg 109 KB

Awesome! Welcome to the club.

#462 4 years ago

I guess the secret is out on this game...
welcome!
-mof

#463 4 years ago

Just joined not too long ago! Love the machine.

Haven't taken the time to search through the thread for this, but does anyone know if you can modify a Rottendog board to sound right with this machine? As I understand it, the sound portion of the 11b MPU was modified in factory for whirlwind, making it different than all the rest of the 11b boards? The sounds through the Rottendog are full of static and mixed really weirdly.

Happy to finally be part of the club!

#464 4 years ago

Trying to join. Have avatar or sst to trade in md to try and gain admission

#465 4 years ago

I want to replace my factory WW cabinet base speaker with a new one that is compatible. I am no kind of audio person, so I would appreciate some specific recommendations as to brand, specifications, (impedance, etc.,) and source if possible. Thanks...

#466 4 years ago

Chet is your sub bad or are you looking for better sound? If the latter I just hooked up an old surround sound sub and it sounded a ton better. "Feel the power" sounds awesome. Super easy. PM me if you want more info.

#467 4 years ago

The factory sub seems to plays fine, I just would like to replace it with something newer, i.e., not 25 years old, etc. Would hope the sound would be improved over the original factory speaker. Thanks,

#468 4 years ago

I just played a game. 3 way combo!
I have not done that in a while.
Best game ever made.

#469 4 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

I want to replace my factory WW cabinet base speaker with a new one that is compatible. I am no kind of audio person, so I would appreciate some specific recommendations as to brand, specifications, (impedance, etc.,) and source if possible. Thanks...

Morning Bump! Any suggestions for a replacement cab speaker guys.. Getting ready to put cabinet stuff back in after restore!!

WW restore.jpg
#470 4 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

This is what I'm doing. Just waiting for Parts Express to send me my replacement crossover coil since the USPS lost the first one. I couldn't find the 8 mh that markmon recommended so I PM'ed him and he said the same crossover coil in 6 mh works just as well:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-add-a-cheap-sub-under-40-that-sounds-awesome-to-your-wpc-game

I am not an audiophile by any means, but this looks to be a simple and relatively cheap solution to get some better sound.

1 week later
#471 4 years ago

I've got a few areas where I'm not sure what posts are supposed to go in the spot. The spot next to the red pop bumper is for one side of the gate. It looks like a smooth metal sleeve gets screwed in there, but I don't have any left so I figured I'd ask before I place an order.

The other area I assume gets the screw in posts with the black plastic sleeves in the white area, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be on the other side. It's where the spinner goes. I'm out of the black plastic sleeves too.

Thanks for any help!

IMG_1541-2.JPG IMG_1540-2.JPG
#472 4 years ago

First picture, yes smooth metal post sleeve with long wood screw, same as opposite side of the gate; 2nd picture, The left side of the spinner bracket is supported by a smooth metal post, not a black plastic one, the right side of the spinner bracket is screwed down to the wooden siderail on the right side. The hole to the top right is actually a double clear plastic star post that supports the PF plastic above it. The starpost has a threaded stud on top to accept the nylon nut to fasten the plastic to the post as common everywhere.

#473 4 years ago

Thanks Chet. Really appreciate it. Funny that they'd stick a star post in the hole to the right as you won't see it once the plastic goes on. I see now from the indentation in the side rail where the spinner side mounts. In the second picture, I'm assuming a black plastic sleeve goes in the spot where the lowest circle is to secure the plastic piece that goes there?

#474 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Thanks Chet. Really appreciate it. Funny that they'd stick a star post in the hole to the right as you won't see it once the plastic goes on. I see now from the indentation in the side rail where the spinner side mounts. In the second picture, I'm assuming a black plastic sleeve goes in the spot where the lowest circle is to secure the plastic piece that goes there?

That circled hole at lowest position is for screw with smooth metal post that supports the left side of the spinner. The PF plastic is mounted at the very bottom (above the target) and at the top with the double starpost. That PF looks very nice.

#475 4 years ago

Thanks, the playfield was my first attempt at a restore using Vid's guide. It wasn't horrible, but a lot of raised inserts and wear and planking in spots. Most of the insert paint came off when I removed the mylar.

I've noticed my "3000 w/Lit" plastic is clear, most I've seen in pictures are yellow.

I actually meant the hole to the right of the 3000 insert (bottom of the picture), but once I put the plastic on it looks like just an extra hole as nothing could fit there. You can barely see it from my camera angle. It doesn't go very deep.

I don't know how I could have lost those two smooth metal spacers. I'm sure as soon as I order them I'll find them on my workbench in some stupid place.

#476 4 years ago

I need to install spinner decals on our whirlwind. Specifically the one in the upper right orbit. They are a holographic image. Can anyone recommend where and what to buy?

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

I need to install spinner decals on our Whirlwind. Specifically the one in the upper right orbit. They are a holographic image. Can anyone recommend where and what to buy?

Are these what you mean? The one I have looks a little more orange than this but similar.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CA-47B

large.jpg

#478 4 years ago

Damn I'm high maintenance. Another picture request. The wires for the switch towards the end of the habitrail that dumps the ball onto the right spinning disc has falling off. Can someone snap a picture of the wire orientation on that switch and post it please?

Thanks!

#479 4 years ago

I took a ton of pictures this weekend, will post them in a gallery when I get home. I'll grab a pic of the habitrail switch while I'm at it.

(please ignore the inline pics - some Chrome weirdness going on)

#480 4 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

Can someone snap a picture of the wire orientation on that switch and post it please?

WP_20141117_09_17_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20141117_09_18_25_Pro.jpg
WP_20141117_09_17_46_Pro.jpg

I assume that's what you were looking for.

Cheers,
Seth

#481 4 years ago

I assume that's what you were looking for.

That's it, thanks much!

#482 4 years ago

I want in the club! Looking for a whirlwind, any condition, in Texas or nearby. PM and let me know when and where to pick it up!!

#483 4 years ago

I am trying to shop a Whirlwind i just picked up and can't find an easy way to access the fasteners on the ramps and plastics on the top of the playfield. I can tilt that end down and reach in there with a short screwdriver but its a pain in the ass. I see the service hinge assy has an opening so it looks like i could disengage it and pull it out but I 'm afraid I'm gonna damage it as I wouldn't know where to support it. Also whats the best way to disengage the diverter from the ramp on the lower left of the playfield. Looks like I gotta take that ramp off to get the rear ones out. Yes, I'm a greenhorn...

RB20141120_223054.jpg20141120_221948.jpg20141120_221931.jpg20141120_221909.jpg20141120_221903.jpg

#484 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I am trying to shop a Whirlwind i just picked up and can't find an easy way to access the fasteners on the ramps and plastics on the top of the playfield

Put a towel on the lockdown bar area of your cabinet, slide playfield towards you a little, let the coils rest on the towel. About the only way you can access without taking the playfield out entirely.
Make sure you check for any loose wires before and after.

#485 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Also whats the best way to disengage the diverter from the ramp on the lower left of the playfield.

There should be an Allen set screw securing the diverter. You will need to loosen it to remove. If you're concerned about getting it put back in the right spot you can use a Sharpie to mark both sides but usually you can get it by making sure it lines up with the mark on the diverter from the set screw.

#486 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

Put a towel on the lockdown bar area of your cabinet, slide playfield towards you a little, let the coils rest on the towel. About the only way you can access without taking the playfield out entirely.

perfect. that's what I needed. thanks man!!!

#487 4 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

There should be an Allen set screw securing the diverter. You will need to loosen it to remove. If you're concerned about getting it put back in the right spot you can use a Sharpie to mark both sides but usually you can get it by making sure it lines up with the mark on the diverter from the set screw.

yup. saw that. also saw an eclip on the top. probably would have gone with the set screw first but I'd rather ask and be confident while i destroy my machine...

#488 4 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

"If you're ever gonna work on a pinball machine, be sure and bring a towel!"
-mof

Towelie.jpg

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I guess the secret is out on this game...
welcome!
-mof

I didn't think there was a secret that this is arguably the best System 11 ever made. They've always been expensive for a pin of that era (since I've been buying machines anyway).

#490 4 years ago

Diner's price is up there too.

Another great system 11 game.

#491 4 years ago

I have some wear around the spinning discs. marco had a decal but the ytell me it's no longer available.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CA-29C

I guess i might have to paint it by hand if theres no other solutions

#492 4 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I have some wear around the spinning discs. marco had a decal but the ytell me it's no longer available.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CA-29C
I guess i might have to paint it by hand if theres no other solutions

LittleShopofGames has it:

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Games/whirl.html

#493 4 years ago

Is this decal just place and go? Or is it for a playfield restoration and clear?

#494 4 years ago

I am out of the club, unfortunately... I love my new (to me) TAF, but I miss WW. See you guys again, hopefully sooner than later! Keep feeling the power of the wind!

#495 4 years ago
Quoted from DocRotCod:

Is this decal just place and go? Or is it for a playfield restoration and clear?

Place and go.

#496 4 years ago

Somebody in Michigan sell me your WW before thanksgiving !!!

Please

#497 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Place and go.

What about where the PF is worn down (uneven) from the ball as it crosses from PF to the spinning disks and also the existing Mylar, if game has it, on the PF up to the spinning disk cutouts.?

#498 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

I am out of the club, unfortunately

Sorry to see ya go, but the power of the wind will bring ya back someday!

#499 4 years ago
Quoted from Chet:

What about where the PF is worn down (uneven) from the ball as it crosses from PF to the spinning disks and also the existing Mylar, if game has it, on the PF up to the spinning disk cutouts.?

I found one from a dude with some experience. he said to build up/level the worn spot with wood putty first, then place and go. i will get it and let you know what happens with some before and after. Hopefully the after wont wont be a picture of it in my garbage can covered with coffee grounds and cigarette butts...

#500 4 years ago

anyone had any luck cleaning/polishing the topper with novus as opposed to repainting it? I would think novus would remove the yellow

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
11,990 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hauppauge, NY
€ 3.70
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 2940 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 59.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside