20240316_080341 (resized).jpg
20240316_080523 (resized).jpg
17105437271052469310734165764779 (resized).jpg
1710543689276521496101859511582 (resized).jpg
20240313_071808.jpg
lightMatrix (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png

There are 5,393 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 108.
#1 10 years ago

Williams Whirlwind (1990) -- one of best System 11 games ever made.

Great original theme.
Two awesome toys: spinning discs, and a powerful fan. The element of randomness that the discs add to the game is mind-blowing.
Great music and sound effects.
Funny call-outs: "Feel the power of the wind." "Well looky here!"
Good multi-ball.
Challenging skill shot when set up correctly. Or you can skip the skill shot and go full power to set up a million shot. Options!

I wanted to start up a Whirlwind club so that other Whirlwind owners can share the crazy love for the machine as well as: repairs tips, restoration tips, part requests, topper ideas, custom instruction cards, LED advice, and other upgrade suggestions...

Inner Cab Artwork
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-pinblades-pinball-inner-cabinet-decals
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only/page/12#post-2211326

Color Matching
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-restoration-complete

Topper Light Mod (see recipe below)
http://www.youtube.com/embed/kL9qt_MY6Wg

or
http://www.youtube.com/embed/8lXx7iC9kj8?autoplay=1&rel=0
with "how to" here: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shanetastics-whirlwind-2

Moving tips:
unplug the fan/discs before you put the head down (top middle inside of head)

[x] add to your favorites

-mof

#2 10 years ago

I'm in - waiting for my backglass from CPR

#3 10 years ago

in and holding the door open for others.

#4 10 years ago

Awesome... Just want to make sure there isn't some well-used thread already open that should just "become" the Whirlwind thread instead... If there are no objections tomorrow morning, we'll christen this one as the official thread!

-mof

#5 10 years ago

break that bottle and lets get this party started.

#6 10 years ago

WW, hell yea!

If you have not had a chance to play a nice example you really do not know what you are missing. Its among the best ( if not the best) system 11 game made.

#7 10 years ago

Love my Whirlwind! I have a really nice Diamondplate one.Best game ever.

#8 10 years ago

Love WW. Never seems to get old and always a crowd favorite. It actually rivals my FH in terms of fun for me.

Love that 3 shot combo... only have hit is once.

#9 10 years ago

I am happily a recent owner ! Love this game !

#10 10 years ago

It's a game that will never leave my collection. For me, definitely the best system 11 ever made.

#11 10 years ago

Love the game and just received my new playfield from HSA. Can't wait to restore mine back to it's former glory.

#12 10 years ago

Just picked up a DP WW with the Chicago Cubs translite recently. I got it up and playing, but REALLY needs a shop job. However it is last in the queue, behind my bowler and DW. I have always loved the game, and I really want to do the blower mod!

#13 10 years ago

If you pull the shooter all the way is the ball suppose to go up and around the left ramp.

#14 10 years ago

Really wanting to be in this club of owners! Hoping to find one in this area that isn't priced super high!

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

If you pull the shooter all the way is the ball suppose to go up and around the left ramp.

No. Mine will go about 1/3 of the way up, but it is not designed to shoot the ball through the ramp. The skill shot is hitting the drop target(s), which if you miss, usually leads to a left outlane drain.

#16 10 years ago

A top three game in my collection. Everyone thought I was crazy when I traded a DMD title for this one which I still have.

// Error: Image 131416 not found // IMG_7248.JPGIMG_7248.JPG

#17 10 years ago

More IMG_7245.JPGIMG_7245.JPG

#18 10 years ago

One More IMG_7237.JPGIMG_7237.JPG

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I don't believe so, it should "set up" the million shot by taking the inner orbit. Mine does that 3/4 shots on full strength, and sometimes just donks out on a post. I've adjusted mine to achieve this, since it was hitting the post between the ramp and inner orbit 4/5 times before the adjustment.

Please to enjoy!
-mof

#20 10 years ago

"FEEL THE POWER"

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Although some are setup this way, it is not correct. The skill shot is the center drop target so the shooter spring is similar to the one in TZ...very spongy. If you slam the shooter, the ball will take the orbit above the upper left ramp and come around to the upper flipper. This is the way it is supposed to be.

#22 10 years ago

i think the manual states that it should make the orbit as well. I am a proud Whirlwind owner myself, and it will never leave the collection. My new playfield arrives Thursday!

#23 10 years ago

i think the manual states that it should make the orbit as well. I am a proud Whirlwind owner myself, and it will never leave the collection. My new playfield arrives Thursday! Y'all come back now ya'hear!

DSC02610.JPGDSC02610.JPG

#24 10 years ago

Count me in. I picked mine up in Allentown this year. Not a collects quality machine by any means, but a perfect players. And (so far) pretty much bulletproof compared to my other two machines.

A question about the translite. When Williams was forced to go from the Cubs version to the W version, did they actually make a conversion on the graphics or just use the sticker on all of them to cover the "C"? Reason I ask is that when I got mine, I found that it had a tiny sticker covering the "C" on the hat. Just curious whether others actually have a translite with the "W" that is actually part of the graphics.

#25 10 years ago

The only way WW leaves my basement is if I find one in better condition

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from amalongi:

Count me in. I picked mine up in Allentown this year. Not a collects quality machine by any means, but a perfect players. And (so far) pretty much bulletproof compared to my other two machines.
A question about the translite. When Williams was forced to go from the Cubs version to the W version, did they actually make a conversion on the graphics or just use the sticker on all of them to cover the "C"? Reason I ask is that when I got mine, I found that it had a tiny sticker covering the "C" on the hat. Just curious whether others actually have a translite with the "W" that is actually part of the graphics.

Late run translites have the 'W' as part of the graphics.

I lucked into mine. Always liked the game. Local guy got one, and offered it to me. The second I saw the Diamond Plate logo, I bought it. PF is in VERY good shape, just needs some cleaning really. Scoops have minor wear that I can fix easily. Cab is above average but not perfect. A perfect compliment to my ES and FH!

#27 10 years ago

Woohoo, a club I can be a member of! Heya!

#28 10 years ago

Awesome game, I almost sold mine, but I don't think it's ever leaving unless I can nab a diamond plate one. If anyone needs tips on how to wire up the topper let me know, mine has three effects that it can do.

A. Light up when fan is on
B. flash whenever lightning board fires off
C. Flash whenever you hit a ramp, jets, or when the cloud says whirlwind

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

i think the manual states that it should make the orbit as well. I am a proud Whirlwind owner myself, and it will never leave the collection. My new playfield arrives Thursday! Y'all come back now ya'hear!

LED color choices tastefully done. Do you have a list of what you used and where?

#30 10 years ago

Where is that awesome thread on the topper w/lights? -- that was so beautiful.
I'll add that to resources up top, so more people can find it quickly.
-mof

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from Capper96:

Awesome game, I almost sold mine, but I don't think it's ever leaving unless I can nab a diamond plate one. If anyone needs tips on how to wire up the topper let me know, mine has three effects that it can do.
A. Light up when fan is on
B. flash whenever lightning board fires off
C. Flash whenever you hit a ramp, jets, or when the cloud says Whirlwind

I only have the light up when fan is on. Would love the other stuff too.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from DarkWizard:

I only have the light up when fan is on. Would love the other stuff too.

Same here, especially if its an easy adjustment.

#33 10 years ago

Here is an old video kinda showing my topper action.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/kL9qt_MY6Wg

#34 10 years ago

I want to join.... WW is the longest serving game in my collection, have owned alot of titles, and this one never loses its flavor. Ive got my playfield in already and the plastics, not going to bother with a backglass, going to purchase the ramps and complete the overhaul next year. I love this game, a top 5 title on my list of favorites.

Dubbbs

#35 10 years ago

I am getting ready to restore mine. Am thinking I am going to do chrome trim except for the coin door. I am also toying with the idea of putting WPC side rails on this game. Think it would look alot better that way. I hear that some funhouses came with system 11 side rails and some with WPC.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I am getting ready to restore mine. Am thinking I am going to do chrome trim except for the coin door. I am also toying with the idea of putting WPC side rails on this game. Think it would look alot better that way. I hear that some funhouses came with system 11 side rails and some with WPC.

I think it would be pretty cool with these mods.

#37 10 years ago

Capper, if you have detailed instructions, PLEASE feel free to post them here, on a separate site, etc... LOVE IT! Very realistic effect.

#38 10 years ago

Traded stargate for ww earlier this summer and I'm in love. I have my pf coming tomorrow! Super psyched.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Capper, if you have detailed instructions, PLEASE feel free to post them here, on a separate site, etc... LOVE IT! Very realistic effect.

Here ya go. BTW i highly suggest you paint the front of the lightning board white while you are in there, it makes it look a ton better.

Ok, here we go.. Keep in mind that this is how I installed the flashers, you can do it many other ways and many on the forum will suggest that you solder the lamp directly to the board but I am not great at soldering and I dont want to risk screwing up a PCB board that you cannot replace easily.

Tools needed:
Crimping Tool
Solder Iron

Parts needed
18 gauge wire
44 Style sockets with 2 lugs
Wedge Style Sockets with 2 lugs (http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/077-5026-01)
box of 18 gauge Ring Terminals
Insulated Alligator clips
Short screws to attach the sockets to the top of your machine

- Lightning Effect: Ok first remove the topper and set it aside. Measure your wire from the fan unit on top to the lightning board in the back of your playfield (that flashs when you hit a target) Make sure to allow room for cable management in your backbox. Ok cut two strands of 18 gauge for this length. Attach one end of each piece to a wedge socket using your solder iron. Attach a red ring terminal (the smallest type one) to the other end of each wire. Ok you are going to mount the socket on the top and feed the two rings down to your lightning board. Ok, ID which flasher you want to light up, remove the plastic twist that the flasher goes in from the lightning board, and put the ring terminal "around" the metal tab that connects the flasher lamp to the Lightning board and twist it back in. Basically you sandwich the ring to the PCB board and the twist flasher, but make sure that there are no exposed wires or that the ring could touch another lead (it shouldn't). So one ring goes to one metal tab and the other goes to the other metal tab. What this does is send the current up to your flasher and then completes the loop back down.
I have used this method on Whirlwind and also CFTBL for lighted pop bumpers and they seem to stay put, I have not had one cause issues yet.

- Red/Blue Effects: That takes care of the lightning effect, now for the red/blue effects you solder up a wedge socket up top like before and run the wire down to the flasher socket under the (5000 when flashing) bulbs under each set of pop bumpers. I used insulated aligator clips for this piece but you could also solder the wires directly to the lug if you are good with soldering a soldering iron. Same rules apply, make sure you complete the circuit. Make sure you allow slack for lifting and lowering the playfield for these.

- Fan Lamp Effect: Now for the Fan lights, Mount two 44 style sockets on top, solder a wire onto one of the lugs of the first socket and then solder the other end of the wire to one of the lugs on the second socket. Basically you are wiring the sockets together. You should have one free lug on each lamp socket now. Solder another piece of wire on the free lug and connect an insulated alligator clip on the other end. Do this for both lamps. You now clip the alligator clips to each lug on the fan where the wires attach to the motor to complete the circuit. This circuit runs at a higher voltage, so you cannot use any old LED bulb, it will burn out. Use the "Balrog" flasher for these (that are sold via CT for use in LOTR)

This is my LEDS i have selected for this project.
2x Warm White LEDs 44 bulbs each attached to a GI rear lamp (might switch to UV)
2x CT "Balrog" Flasher 44 bulbs attached to the fan motor (higher voltage LEDs)
1x CT 9 stack Coolwhite 906 flasher on first lightning lamp
1x CT 9 stack Orange 906 flasher on second lightning lamp
1x CT 9 stack Coolwhite 906 Flasher on third lightning lamp
1x CT 9 stack Red 906 Flasher on the High Pressure flasher insert
1x CT 9 stack Blue 906 Flasher on the Low pressure flasher insert

#40 10 years ago

I could probably create a kit if anyone is interested in it. PM me

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

I like the orange around the coin door, really makes it pop.

I am working on putting some LED strips in front of the cloud pointing up and behind the backbox all tied into the lightning bolt flashers to make the game really light up when the bolt fires.

#42 10 years ago

Capper, would it be too much to ask for a few pics annotated of the topper removed and then of the connections on the playfield side? Seems easy enough!

#43 10 years ago

Oh and last year I took my WW to expo and KOI went and set every HS on it. I have been playing allot to try and knock him off but he still holds GC. I was with in a million a few time and man is that irking me. But kudos to KOI for doing it. It has given me a goal.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from CafeOne:

the blue display looks great. I was thinking about doing this as well.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from Pugsley:

Oh and last year I took my WW to expo and KOI went and set every HS on it. I have been playing allot to try and knock him off but he still holds GC. I was with in a million a few time and man is that irking me. But kudos to KOI for doing it. It has given me a goal.

The GC on my WW is at an impossible to achieve half-billion. Pretty sure this was done without the glass

Also thinking about the blue colored display. I really like how it looks!

#46 10 years ago

Did a huge restoration on my WW when i bought it about a year ago.
If anyone is doing touch up work on the cabinet I included the color recipe in my post.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-restoration-complete

#47 10 years ago

Another proud owner, here. Glad someone decided to start this thread.

Recently purchased the CPR plastic set, but didn't use all of them. PM if interested in an odd plastic or two.

Uh-oh, looks like rain!
Ryan Claytor
Elephant Eater Comics
www.ElephantEater.com

#48 10 years ago

In there, like swimwear.

#49 10 years ago

Count me in! I'm glad I saw this post.

#50 10 years ago

My second whirlwind arrives next week..only sold the other one to get a nicer one!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
There are 5,393 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 108.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-club-members-only and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.