By creepykenny

1 month ago

Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 week ago by zerbam
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

691 (resized).JPG
IMG_5774 (resized).JPG
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_1578 (resized).JPG

#1 49 days ago

having trouble finding a local supply source for mixing a quart of blue paint (preferably oil based enamel) to paint a whirlwind cabinet before applying decals

took a backbox decal into Ace, Sherwin Williams, Lowes and none of them say that they can match it, the blue is apparently a different shade (purer blue) than their base blue tint, so other than going to an automotive supply store for paint does any one have any ideas where i can get matching blue paint ?

#2 48 days ago

no ideas on where to purchase any matching paint ?
i really don't want to use automotive paint for a cabinet respray

#3 48 days ago

The last post here has a recipe:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-restoration-complete

Try asking in the club thread as well.

#4 48 days ago

This is what I have used.

IMG_1578 (resized).JPG

#5 48 days ago

just looking at the paint on the can, and that looks like a really good color match so apparently it can be done

maybe i should drag the backbox into Sherwin Williams instead of the decals

#7 48 days ago

Here's a pic of my Whirlwind using the paint code posted in the link above.

IMG_0103.JPG

#8 47 days ago

I've had good luck with sherwin Williams matching paint ,they will need a piece of wood ,maybe cleat from backbox but trying to match it from decals will be difficult. Ford engine blue in rattle can is a really close match

#10 47 days ago

I cut a piece of decal from the coin door area and brought it to the Benjamin Moore dealer to scan/color match. The match was fantastic. My decals were from Phoenix Arcade

IMG_5774 (resized).JPG

#11 47 days ago

You can paint the cab with a rattle can using Rustoleum 2X. Gloss Deep Blue is the color that is almost an identical match. Here is an example with Planetary decals.

691 (resized).JPG

#12 47 days ago

wow, that 2X deep gloss blue really looks nice, going to the big box this morning to buy a can and do some samples - thanks for all the help & ideas

4 weeks later
#13 19 days ago

Anyone have Home Depots updated paint code? They said their formula has changed after showing them a pic of the Behr paint Jiggly_martian posted. I am wanting to repaint my cabinet and not wanting to do decals. I can color match all other colors but mixing several batches of blue would be tough.

#14 19 days ago

Rustoleum royal blue is a very close match to the original blue. It also works great with silk screened Earthshaker proto decals

#15 19 days ago

I did pick up a can of Rustoleum 2x deep blue. The problem is I am wanting to use an airbrush so the rattlecan doesn't help much. I might cash in a favor from an autobody buddy if anyone doesn't have another suggestion.

1 week later
#16 11 days ago

OK...so which rattle can color matches the new pps Whirlwind cabinet decals the best.......just about to that point in the project

#17 11 days ago

anybody .........need to by paint before Friday.......help!

#18 11 days ago

Doesn’t post 11 address the paint color that’s the closest

#19 11 days ago

yes......yes it does exactly...........guess it would help if i read all the posts.........thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Los Angeles, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rochester, NY
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 18.99
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 76.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 6.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 12.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 989.00
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 229.99
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 199.99

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside