You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
WilliamsSys11Fuse_(resized).PNG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pmaino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Hey all.

I'm having an issue with my back plastic GI by the back of the playfield. All other GI works on the game. The back GI is off normally before the plunge and once the ball hits a switch the upper GI on the playfield turns on( I believe this is when the BackPlastic GI should turn on as well). The flashers on this section works perfectly.

I checked all fuses and they are working. Any suggestions here? I was reading something about a relay that can go bad which causes this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

#3 8 years ago

Ok ill take a look at that tonight when I get home. How would I go about testing it to make sure that really is the issue?

#6 8 years ago

All new LED bulbs were put in so I can rule that out.

#8 8 years ago

No it didn't work with the original bulbs.

I just ordered the new relay so hopefully that will fix the problem. Will update once I get they installed later this week.

#11 8 years ago

@Jhanley - I believe the machine operates that way. Let me check when I get home to confirm.

@Lostlumberjacks - are you talking about reflowing solder on the male connection at the relay board or the actual board with the lights?

#15 8 years ago

I believe there are actually two relays. There is one all the way at the bottom of the playfield and another one on the left next to the hinge. See attached picture. Does anyone know what this one does?

I already purchased a new one but will try swaping it out tonight.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#18 8 years ago

The GI lights on the back of the playfield turn on and off like they should. The GI on the back plastic under the flashers never turn on. The flashers work perfectly.

#20 8 years ago

Yes the Lightning strip GI does not turn on.

#23 8 years ago

Ok two questions.

1. How do I test the voltage with my multimeter it's been awhile. Do I turn the machine on and stick the red lead into the socket with a wire and then touch the black lead to a ground? If there is proper voltage I should see 25v's on both the purple/white and purple connections?

2. I'm trying to trace back the purple/white and purple wire to the board so I can test continuity. Having trouble doing that. Do you know where these two wires connect into the back box?

#25 8 years ago

Ok so I should stick the black lead into the purple/white and the red into the purple and see if I get 25v?

#28 8 years ago

Ok I did that and get no reading. Assuming I am doing that right I need to find out where the purple wire connects to the backbox and test for continuity? If I have continuity then it could be the connector on the board?

#31 8 years ago

Yes. Here is what I'm doing.

#33 8 years ago

Thanks for the help thus far jhanley.

Does anyone know where this wire traces back to the backbox or what's the next step here in figuring out why no power is getting through to this wire? I have no other issues with my GI except for this area.

#36 8 years ago

I actually have a new interconnect board and will swap that out to see if it helps. I replaced all fuses that I had but needed to order a few new ones that I didn't have on hand. will swap those out. Will report back after I swap the ICB and replace all fuses.

Is there anyway to check on the manual which fuse would be responsible for that part of the GI?

#43 8 years ago

I will take a look into this when I get home tonight and fill you all in. Thanks for all the responses.

#44 7 years ago

Jhanley was right. See the picture below. The wires purple/white and purple connect at a Molex. What was confusing is that the gauge of wire is different in each end. I found the other end bundled and disconnected from the Molex inside all the other wires. Took me about 10 minutes to find it and redo the Molex connections.

Thanks for all the help on this one guys. I'm sure I will have a few more questions to come as I start to do my PF swap!

Pete

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pmaino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-backplastic-gi-not-turning-on?tu=Pmaino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.