• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6263 (resized).JPG
IMG_6258 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Hey all. I just took in a Whirwind on trade. It pretty much works well but I've noticed that part of the backbox lighting works and some is very dim. Occasionally it all works fine but usually it's too dim. It's pretty much the lights where "Whirlwind" text is located on the translite as well as the car with the kid holding the video camera.

Any suggestions before I start ripping things apart? I did notice that the plug/cord that plugs into my outlet still only has the two prongs. Any chance it just needs a new plug end with a ground?

Thanks for any tips!

IMG_6258 (resized).JPGIMG_6258 (resized).JPG

IMG_6263 (resized).JPGIMG_6263 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Looks like a GI strand is out, bet you got a toasty connector

#3 6 years ago

dsuperbee thanks for the reply. The lights are actually dim and not completely out. You think it's still the same thing even though it's partially working? Thanks again

#4 6 years ago

A toasty connector would definitely produce this effect. As they tarnish and roast, the resistance goes up, causes it to get hotter, and less voltage gets to the lamps making them dim.

#5 6 years ago

mbaumle hey thanks for the info. Would it be easy to determine whether the faulty connector is the end that connects to the backbox or the end that connects to the MPU?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from dearliza98:

mbaumle hey thanks for the info. Would it be easy to determine whether the faulty connector is the end that connects to the backbox or the end that connects to the MPU?

Before doing any work (since you sound like you don't have much experience). Please go to pinwiki and read up on GI work:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Lamp_problems

#7 6 years ago

Check the connector that connects to the right hand side of the interconnect board.

#8 6 years ago

mbaumle ok. Sounds like either way I need some parts. I was really just trying to determine whether there's an issue before the interconnect board or at the interconnect board itself. Where would you recommend I buy parts? Thank you

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from dearliza98:

Where would you recommend I buy parts?

Great Plains Electronics is generally my go-to place for inexpensive connectors.

#10 6 years ago

Typically the issues are on the interconnect board. There is one power in connection on the right and power out to backbox and playfield, one on the right and one on the left. There are also GI relays located on the back of the swing out panel in the backbox and one under the playfield. The pins get toasty and cause dim lights or non-working lights. You must replace both the header and connectors.

#11 6 years ago

mbaumle schudel5 thanks guys! I may let a pro handle the board/pin repairs but I have replaced connectors before. Really appreciate the help.

#12 6 years ago

On my WW the backbox GI problem was a toasty main connector right off of the transformer on the cabinet bottom. The first set of connectors.
Does one look brown? Pull them apart and clean; DeOxit works great and can perk up some toasty connections.

#13 6 years ago

P2K good call on the DeOxit. I forgot I had a bottle. Cleaned the connections and it seems to have resolved the issue, if only temporarily. I have my doubts that this is a long term solution but I'll take it while I'm waiting on parts. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-backbox-lighting-dim-sometimes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.