IMG_20191122_165740 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191116_115508 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191122_091829 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20191113-085132_Drive (resized).jpg
IMG_20191112_205251 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191112_205258 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

How long do you keep in the tumbler for? might need to run for 3 or 4 days

These were in for 2 days. I've tried longer in the past and never seemed to see any difference past a day or two

Quoted from yaksplat:

Disassemble the gates so you can clean them more easily. You can crush a piece of metal wire to reassemble them with some vise grips. On my gates i used evaporust then tried polishing them but then finally used the wheel i posted earlier. That evened out the surface and got a nice shine on them.

The wheel is on order, if amazon ever gets around to shipping it...

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

These were in for 2 days. I've tried longer in the past and never seemed to see any difference past a day or two

The wheel is on order, if amazon ever gets around to shipping it...

I love that Amazon opened a distribution center a few miles from me. Most everything that i order shows up in a day now.

What you've done so far with that pile of rust is amazing.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I love that Amazon opened a distribution center a few miles from me. Most everything that i order shows up in a day now.
What you've done so far with that pile of rust is amazing.

They seem to never even ship my order for like 4 days. Once it's shipped its always here quick though. I think they're just artificially delaying my order since I don't have prime

#54 4 years ago

Western NY owns WW!!

BILLS MAFIA!

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Western NY owns WW!!
BILLS MAFIA!

That means that whirlwind help is just a short hour away.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I think they're just artificially delaying my order since I don't have prime

That sounds like a very amazon thing to do.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

That sounds like a very amazon thing to do.

Hard to up sell your free prime 2 day shipping vs the 5-8 day free shipping if USPS just goes and delivers in 2-3 days no matter what otherwise...

#58 4 years ago

Second order from PBR arrived today with a ton of lamp sockets. Looks like I'll have a fun weekend ahead.

Found that pinball plating has a side ramp habitrail already on hand, so I can do an exchange for my rusty one pretty quick. Had to take the riveted on plastic off first; somehow managed to crack it nearly in half when not even working on that rivet. Probably salvageable, and bayarea amusements has spares at worst, but annoying

IMG_20191023_165519 (resized).jpgIMG_20191023_165519 (resized).jpgIMG_20191023_172326 (resized).jpgIMG_20191023_172326 (resized).jpg
#59 4 years ago

If you read the whirlwind club someone was remaking the lift ramp. I think it was freeplay40.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead306:

If you read the whirlwind club someone was remaking the lift ramp. I think it was freeplay40.

Starship fantasy has all the ramps, but they're pretty expensive

#61 4 years ago

i have a spare side plastic

#62 4 years ago

Switches arrived. Installed 12 and then realized that they'd sent me the wrong ones for one type Replacements are on the way, but that's another thing I've got to wait for. And of course they're the ones that are buried under the mechs in the back, so I can't reassemble the PF at all until I have them.

Some corn media should arrive tomorrow so I can try the tumbler with that.

Ordered a rottendog orange led display since mine seems to be dead.

While I wait for the switches I'll do all the lamp sockets, then see to the ramps (namely the ramp flaps). Sadly replacement flaps don't seem to be available, so I'll have to try to either clean these up, or cut some new ones (but I'm not a fan of that)

#63 4 years ago

Ive found that you can pull anything out at any time except the ramp lifter. That's kind of a pain to deal with.

I did find a trick to putting in the right ramp. Remove the shield off the top. If you have the tall ball guide on the left side off, you lift the hinged portion and then rotate the whole ramp counter clockwise. It'll curl off the flap at the top right of the entrance.

Mines been on and off a dozen times now.

#64 4 years ago

Went through about half the lamps+switches today. A lot of these are really buried in there. Had to unmount the wiring harness and remove more mechs to get to them. Removed everything at once since it some sockets were in the way of others, so will be fun figuring out how the wiring all worked again.
IMG_20191026_125915 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_125915 (resized).jpg

Couldn't get a good angle at the bottom stuff, so I lifted the playfield up and set the back wall on the pivots, and strapped it to the head for easier accessIMG_20191026_105842 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_105842 (resized).jpg

Realized I should do the pops while I had everything off, since those are always a pain, which mean that, before installing the new pop bodies, I'd need to clean the playfield, so I switched gears and started on that. Did the unmylared areas first, since I'm still worried that the moisture and chlorine will have ruined the playfield somehow. All the wood has a weird feel to it, but after a few vigorous passes of novus and buffing, it cleans up and feels normal. Not sure what's up with that... In a few places it also looked like there might have been a very thin layer of mold or something, but it also came up easily. IMG_20191026_202328 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_202328 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_202318 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_202318 (resized).jpg

One other weird thing is that there seems to be paint loss around all the gi lamp sockets. Not sure why that would be since none of the places the ball actually rolls are wornIMG_20191026_195800 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_195800 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_195756 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_195756 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_195806 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_195806 (resized).jpg

Corn cob media also arrived today, so all the playfield metal is now polishing again. Interested to see how it compares to the walnut
IMG_20191026_202341 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_202341 (resized).jpg

#65 4 years ago

Putting shiny new white plastic on stuff always makes it look so much better
IMG_20191026_214741 (resized).jpgIMG_20191026_214741 (resized).jpg

#66 4 years ago

Do you have a rotisserie? They are SUPER helpful when taking all of this crap apart, much easier on your back, and very very handy when putting all the posts and stuff on top back together. Made mine for 100 bucks in about 2 hours.

Also, very much enjoying your post here... great to see you putting all of this in for an absolutely BRILLIANT pin.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from plankalkul:

Do you have a rotisserie? They are SUPER helpful when taking all of this crap apart, much easier on your back, and very very handy when putting all the posts and stuff on top back together. Made mine for 100 bucks in about 2 hours.
Also, very much enjoying your post here... great to see you putting all of this in for an absolutely BRILLIANT pin.

No rotisserie. I've borrowed one a few times but don't like them much. Usually if I was going to be doing this much work I'd just put the playfield on a table and work on it. Didn't realize I'd have all this stuff to fix when I put the playfield in the cab though, but don't feel like taking it all the way out again now that all the wiring is threaded back to the head, etc

#68 4 years ago

So you guys removed the ball
Shields from the ramps first before removing ramps?

#69 4 years ago

I do love some whore plastics

The GI paint loss might be related to heat from the lamps?

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

So you guys removed the ball
Shields from the ramps first before removing ramps?

I removed the plastic on top of the right ramp, then the metal walls of the entry way, then the ramp itself.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I removed the plastic on top of the right ramp, then the metal walls of the entry way, then the ramp itself.

Right ramp being the flap ramp?

#73 4 years ago

Very cool project they will be so rewarding when done. Love the progress and updates. You’re moving quick!

#74 4 years ago

Took off the drop target mechs. Both were nearly frozen, could barely move up and down. On disassembly the washers were predictably rusty, and someone seems to have put some kind of lubricant in the mechs which is now just making it worse. Cleaned them up with alcohol and a dremel, then installed new washers and springs.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1572306567797 (resized).jpegUSER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1572306567797 (resized).jpeg

Was able to figure out how to test the 3 bank opto board on the bench, and verified the optos were working. The one bank opto board seems to have a different circuit design though, so either I wasn't testing it right or the opto is bad. Looked like it'd already been replaced once (unlike the 3 bank which seemed to have had no work done on it), not sure if that's a good or a bad sign. Will reinstall for now and test it once I get the machine running; it's not too hard to remove.

Assembled all the necessary sockets for the big swath I'd removed before getting sidetracked by the pop bumpers and playfield, and reinstalled them. I had planned to wire them up as I went, but realized I needed to at least lay them out to visualize how it all goes back together. My pictures of it before hand are pretty useless since the harness is such a mess of wires. Will reconnect them tonight, using the manual as a reference.
IMG_20191028_214527 (resized).jpgIMG_20191028_214527 (resized).jpg

New display came, so once I get the playfield reassembled to a point where I'm not afraid of all the dangling wires shorting stuff I'll reinstall the boards and display and see how far I can get

#75 4 years ago

Love this thread. Really a task you've taken on. Rooting for this pin!

GO BILLS DAMMIT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#76 4 years ago

If you have any wire questions just yell. I became much more intimate with my Whirlwind wiring than i wanted to.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

One other weird thing is that there seems to be paint loss around all the gi lamp sockets. Not sure why that would be since none of the places the ball actually rolls are worn[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Corn cob media also arrived today, so all the playfield metal is now polishing again. Interested to see how it compares to the walnut
[quoted image]

I just finished up a high speed in the exact same shape. I had the same paint loss around my GI lighting as well. Combination of years of heat and then moisture I guess. I ended up spending somewhere around $1000 on parts to get mine going. More than I wanted to spend but I saved it from a dumpster.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

More than I wanted to spend but I saved it from a dumpster.

Highly commendable!

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Highly commendable!

Gotta save em all if we can...

#80 4 years ago

Reconnected all the lamp sockets last night. In the process I also needed to reinstall the ramp lifter and right eject mechs, since the coils (zip tied to the harness) were dragging the whole wire loom down. Ramp lifter went fine, although the clearance between it and the lamp board next to it is scarily small.

The eject hole is giving me some weirder issues though. I fished the parts out of the tumbler and installed a new plunger+link, but when I assembled everything, it wouldn't work. The kicker arm seems to be misaligned with the coil, causing it to bind. Spent probably an hour playing with it, but it seems like the mounting holes on the playfield are just in the wrong place. Except that I took the mech out of those holes last week....

IMG_20191030_114555 (resized).jpgIMG_20191030_114555 (resized).jpg

Besides from that, there's a few more GI sockets to do, and then I think I can actually get the game booting and check all the new lamps and switches, then rebuild all the remaining mechs

#81 4 years ago

I found that the ejects will bind if they're off by a hair. It's kind of a dumb design having the mounting of the coil separate from the eject hammer. It would have made sense to combine them into one mech that just works correctly when installed.

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

I found that the ejects will bind if they're off by a hair. It's kind of a dumb design having the mounting of the coil separate from the eject hammer. It would have made sense to combine them into one mech that just works correctly when installed.

No way I could wiggle this would make it not bind. It seems so far off from where it should be...

#83 4 years ago

Mines set up so the plunger is straight up from the link. That way the coil can be mounted in any direction from it.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Mines set up so the plunger is straight up from the link. That way the coil can be mounted in any direction from it.

Is yours a repro playfield? It looks like those weren't drilled for the coil bracket, so they could be aligned properly. I'd like to align mine straight above the link but I'd have to do new holes

#85 4 years ago

Mine was a repro, but it was drilled wrong so i put in new holes. But then again i think i drilled about 100 holes in my playfield.

I wouldn't worry about drilling new holes. It's easier than messing around with a misaligned ejector.

#86 4 years ago

Finished installing all the new lamps and switches, and put the playfield back down. Hooked up the MPU, interconnect, and new display, and flipped the switch

IMG_20191030_182658 (resized).jpgIMG_20191030_182658 (resized).jpg

Then I realized that I didn't have the coin door installed yet, because it's also rusty and I need to figure out what to do with it (is it safe to just stick the entire metal piece in evaporust? or will that affect the paint?). Luckily toggling the switch fast got me past the factory settings warning.

Next I replaced the lamp rectifier and fuse holder, and was able to confirm 18V
IMG_20191030_180051 (resized).jpgIMG_20191030_180051 (resized).jpg

Plugged in the lamp matrix connectors, and viola
IMG_20191030_183349 (resized).jpgIMG_20191030_183349 (resized).jpgIMG_20191030_183351 (resized).jpgIMG_20191030_183351 (resized).jpg

Next will connect the door somehow so I can actually get to the tests to check the switches. I definitely have some lights out, but they don't seem to follow any real pattern, so hopefully it's just wiring issues on those individual sockets

#87 4 years ago

Whirlwind Frankenstein!

Great work so far.

#88 4 years ago

As I should have expected, the diagnostic switches are rusty and don't work. Will need to track some of those down. Looks like none of the normal parts places carry them

#89 4 years ago

I think I have a 3 button switch setup from a Lethal Weapon 3 I picked up years back. If it’s the same I’ll be happy to mail it to you.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I think I have a 3 button switch setup from a Lethal Weapon 3 I picked up years back. If it’s the same I’ll be happy to mail it to you.

Edit it’s DE 2 switch but it can be used I’ll send it.

8F37DF27-3F54-4420-9EC8-1CB20409F06B (resized).jpeg8F37DF27-3F54-4420-9EC8-1CB20409F06B (resized).jpeg
#91 4 years ago

Was able to get into test mode by manually shorting pins on the board together. Had a few switches that need adjustment, but besides from the single drop opto, they all work. Not sure if the drop opto is bad, or if I'm missing some connector needed for the 12V yet.

Quoted from dmacy:

Edit it’s DE 2 switch but it can be used I’ll send it.[quoted image]

Thanks for the offer! It looks like it has a different mounting technique though, and I'd like to try to find the proper three button one first. If I can't find any, I'll PM you...

#92 4 years ago

You can drop the whole door in evaporust. It won't touch the paint. I disassembled mine first before putting it all in though.

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

You can drop the whole door in evaporust. It won't touch the paint. I disassembled mine first before putting it all in though.

Yeah, I was going to just put the main... door part and frame in. Ordered two more gallons in that buy one get one sale, so I've got plenty to play around with now.

Also got that that wheel for polishing guides that was suggested earlier. Haven't even looked at the guides yet though. They're all sitting in a pile waiting.

This weekend I'm going to drop by my parents', who have a drill press and a rivet tool, and try to work out the ramp flaps.

#94 4 years ago

I ended up buying the rivet dies and a bag of 1000 stainless steel half tubular rivets. I had a squeezer. Now i'm ready for any riveting needs that come up in the next 50 years.

#95 4 years ago

its aliveeeeee

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

As I should have expected, the diagnostic switches are rusty and don't work. Will need to track some of those down. Looks like none of the normal parts places carry them

nope, all sold out. I also need one for the high speed I just brought back to life. If you find one please let me know where.

#97 4 years ago

Rebuilt the flippers and replaced the cab switches.

Repinned the burnt GI connectors with new crimp Trifurcons. GI all works, no bad wiring thankfully. With that put of the way I just need to figure out the drop optos and then I can finish up the bottom without fear of covering something.

IMG_20191031_211555 (resized).jpgIMG_20191031_211555 (resized).jpg
#98 4 years ago

Need drop opto pics?

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from yaksplat:

Need drop opto pics?

I think they'll be straightforward. One thing I could use a picture of though is of the 12V inline connectors on the bottom left of the head. Mine has 2x 2 pin connectors with black-yellow and grey wires, and one 3x pin connector, but I've only been able to find the mating ends for 1x 2 pin and 1x 3 pin, still have another 2 pin left hanging. Not sure where it goes.

Found that one of the wires has come out of the IDC connector for the single drop, so will need to repin that.

#100 4 years ago

Sandblasted and painted the trim for the display panel.

Removed all the ramp flaps. Thankfully the hinge isn't riveted. The right ramp is in good shape, no cracks at all, but the side ramp entrance is really beaten. Not only cracked but seems a bit melted. Made new flaps out of sheets of material from Marco. Going to screw the flap onto the hinged ramp with Nylon nuts since it should have clearance, but can't do that on the side ramp. Am going to try something different, and use round-top wood screws through the flap and ramp, two holes instead of four.

Disassembled the coin door and put it on the evaporust

IMG_20191101_181411 (resized).jpgIMG_20191101_181411 (resized).jpgIMG_20191101_211759 (resized).jpgIMG_20191101_211759 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

There are 169 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-back-from-the-depths-/page/2?hl=pinhead306 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.