After a day in evapo rust, the rust is gone, and now there's just some blackened pits. Better I guess? IMG_20191019_083242 (resized).jpg
Most of my parts arrived.
IMG_20191019_151911 (resized).jpgSince I had the hinge bolts, I was now able to migrate all the wiring over to the new cabinet. Put the playfield in, attached the head again.
Tore down the playfield. Not as bad as I expected it to be. Most posts and guides didn't rust.
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1571509863596 (resized).jpegIMG_20191019_220129 (resized).jpg
Disassembled most of the mechs. Threw what I'm not replacing in the evapo rust, added a few more things (various plungers mostly) to my next order. Coils all seem good. Sleeves even came out of the flipper coils fine, which never seems to happen... Put most of the playfield hardware in the tumbler.
Removed the spinner unit to see what was up with that big bump on the right one. The original system had a metal shaft running through, with theaded holes on both ends. The discs have a recessed hole with slanted edge, so a screw can sit on top flush, and hold the disc to the shaft. Not sure what possibly could have gone wrong to cause this, but the entire stock shaft is gone. Someone then reamed out the hole in the disc to the point where none of bevel on the hole is left, and ran a carriage bolt through. Worked, but left a bolt head on the playfield. Really could use a replacement disc, but doubt I'll find one.
Everything seemed to be going pretty well until I got to the lamps. All of the lamp sockets are solid rust, but when I tested them with the transformer they actually worked fine. Can't trust them though. The 555 twist sockets, however, all seem to not work, despite looking fine. No idea what's wrong with them, but I guess they'll have to be replaced. the GI sockets need replacing too. All the switch actuators are rusty, no replacements are available though. So they'll get evaporusted too.
Big issue though, none of the switches work. I'm reading about 40k ohms across them when shut. I was able to clean the leaf switches on the pops and slings, and they worked fine. I love leaf switches. All of the microswitches seem to be bad. I hate microswitches. Will need to figure out what the base part number is for the switches themselves, since the manual only gives it with the actuator, which of course are all custom. Looks like about 50 switches to replace... Tracking these down, swapping all the actuators, and soldering everything will be a giant pain (and hit to the budget).
IMG_20191019_220201 (resized).jpgIMG_20191019_220156 (resized).jpg