Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by spfxted
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Ok, going to be in the market soon for 1 or 2 more pins! YES! I would love your opinions on what to get.
Background - have HS2 The Getaway and Stargate currently. I only have room for 4 pins tops.
I can not go over $5000 right now and will be a while before more $ can be put towards pinball. I enjoy faster pace games, but have not played ACDC (yet). I really dig the band ACDC. If I get ACDC there will be a family pin void for a while, but I bet my wife will play ACDC. Getting two great pins for the price of one NIB gets the "good value" side of me excited. A family type pin would be a nice addition. 4 pins in my collection may be better than 3, with ACDC purchase, because this transaction will tap me for a while.

What I am looking for in this purchase.
1. A family pinball that is not to deep, not to shallow and just plain fun for my wife, 7 year old son, 5 year old daughter and myself.
2. A pin that newbies will be drawn to.
3. 4 will be it on pins, so I can have 2 more than done.

It is basically two older solid pins with one being family ( like Whirlwind, Jurassic Park, WC Soccer) and one for me ( like T2, Elvira and TPM, DM, BK2000) or an AC/DC Pro alone.

I thought of going all in on a Sherk or POTC instead of ACDC, but am concerned that me son says "meh" and does not dig it. Keep in mind he may say "meh" on JP or WCS also (kids are funny).

So, In the $5000 range, 2 pins, one being family or one NIB that I and newbie neighbors and friends could play? Something to go with SG and HS2? Good position to be in - the Pin Gods are looking out for me. Last wrench in the machine of thought before I end my ramble - Trade in my number 2 game Stargate?
Thanks for all your help in advance. We all know pinsiders are not shy on sharing opinions.

#2 10 years ago

ww and t2. neither are real deep. they are fast and fun. lawlor and Ritchie, you cant go wrong.

#3 10 years ago

How many times do you get the opportunity to buy a NIB pin?? Get the ACDC. I just got an ACDC premium tonight for my birthday!! Yes, I could of had 3 or 4 older pins instead but I really wanted this. I will probably never be able to afford another.

#4 10 years ago

ACDC, best choice.

#5 10 years ago

I would go for T2 and WW just because they are both excellent games, even though ADP is not a theme for me I think I would prefer two good games than 1 good NIB one....Star Trek might be a different story though when it comes out.

Bottom line seems like a win win either way with your choices, good luck picking a winner/s

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from BigB:

How many times do you get the opportunity to buy a NIB pin?? Get the ACDC. I just got an ACDC premium tonight for my birthday!! Yes, I could of had 3 or 4 older pins instead but I really wanted this. I will probably never be able to afford another.

I'm with you....AC/DC is awesome!

#7 10 years ago

I've owned all 3 and there is no competition here...AC/DC!

#8 10 years ago

No doubt AC/DC is awesome. If it were my choice I would go for the Whirlwind and T2. I actually would swap the Whirlwind for a NGG for the family. My 8 year old son really enjoys T2 my daughters don't care for it. Bring the family to a location and play AC/DC before making your choice.

Good Luck!

#10 10 years ago

Your requirement of Family Friendly is an issue on AC/DC - just depends on your parenting some have issues with the graphics they are not in your face, nor are the words. I put the pin in the cartoon category jokes for you, while the kids still enjoy. I had a 12 year old and it was not a big deal. My recommendation would be AC/DC but go play it and make sure your happy with it and the family factor prior to buying.

#11 10 years ago

ACDC is so challenging, yet fast and wicked fun. Plus it's NIB.

#12 10 years ago

JMO....AC/DC Pro is terrible. The Prem & LE are great.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I know premium is better, but it can't happen, so I have to work with what I got. That being said would you buy the 2 beauties or one beast .

#14 10 years ago

T2 and WW. Both are great pins and with your current pins make a fun, solid lineup.

#15 10 years ago

I would go WW and T2. Two is better than one in my book when none of the games in question are bad.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I know premium is better, but it can't happen, so I have to work with what I got. That being said would you buy the 2 beauties or one beast .

Could you go Premium if you sold the SG?

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from RDReynolds:

Could you go Premium if you sold the SG?

Uh, maybe, but then I would be down to two pins HS2 and ACDC Premium (both are awesome though) for a while.
Those 2 pins are both butt kickers and might turn off my wife and kids from playing. At least till I buy a Shreck a year or so later.
Stargate is a solid pin also. I just gave it a good waxing, changed all the rubbers and the flippers can pop the ball up the ramps nicely. Game flies great right now.
Good possibility though. Thanks!

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I know that is the conventional opinion here on Pinside, but that doesn't even make sense. It's the same software, mostly the same shots, it's essentially the same game. You may find one preferable, but to hate one and love the other? Nonsense.

Score even just 100 million on a Pro and then try and convince yourself it's a "terrible" game. Won't happen.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Score even just 100 million on a Pro and then try and convince yourself it's a "terrible" game.

I wasn't worried about the score...just how much fun I was having. I went to a place to play AC/DC because I heard how great it was. I played about a dozen games and didn't get it. THEN, I went to my friend's house and played his LE...for ME, it was a BIG difference. As I recall, there is no Bell, Shooting thing, drop targets, lower playfield on the pro. As I said, It's my opinion.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

I wasn't worried about the score...just how much fun I was having.

The score thing is arbitrary...I guess what I meant is that in order to justly evaluate a game you need to see what it can do. The ball moves faster on the Pro, there is definitely a learning curve. Add to that the fact that the bell mod isn't stock (BIG fail on Sterns part)...a couple SDTM's off the stock standup bell target and you end up avoiding what is one of the most fun shots in pinball.

It's just that every time I hear that it's a crap game I imagine that the person saying it wasn't able to keep a ball in play for more than 30 seconds to see what the game is all about. And no need for the , you'll find a lot more people that will support your position than mine. But they don't know what they are talking about

#21 10 years ago

Uh, maybe, but then I would be down to two pins HS2 and ACDC Premium (both are awesome though) for a while.
Those 2 pins are both butt kickers and might turn off my wife and kids from playing. At least till I buy a Shreck a year or so later.
Stargate is a solid pin also. I just gave it a good waxing, changed all the rubbers and the flippers can pop the ball up the ramps nicely. Game flies great right now.
Good possibility though. Thanks!

I liked Shrek when I had it. The family LOVED POTC. I mean loved it, to the point that I still get static that we no longer have it!

#22 10 years ago

Wow, your kid says "meh" a lot.

I would go for Terminator 2 and Whirlwind, easily. I like each of those games better than ACDC, and those two together versus one ACDC is a no-brainer for me.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

And no need for the , you'll find a lot more people that will support your position than mine. But they don't know what they are talking about

#24 10 years ago

Did spfxted just change his identity?

#25 10 years ago

anyone who says ACDC PRO is terrible...does NOT know pinball

#26 10 years ago

I have a Whirlwind and have owned T2. No need to own both IMHO, as they are both shallow pins. Whirlwind takes the edge between the two.

I own an AC/DC Premium and it is a great game with a similar layout to T2 with the cannon, etc. Its a great game with a fairly deep ruleset. I am not nearly as much a fan of the pro, but that's me.

I owned a HUO POTC, but sold it for AC/DC Premium. POTC is a great game for friends, but it gets old pretty quick in the household.

If you want a deep, family friendly game, consider TSPP or LOTR. LOTR has been in my collection since 2006 and is a family favorite. It also gets the most play during the holidays. LOTR has the best rules of any pinball game IMHO.

#27 10 years ago

I haven't played an ACDC LE, but I get what Ted is saying; I've played ACDC Pro on several occasions now, and while I wouldn't say it's awful, it does absolutely nothing for me.

#28 10 years ago

Did spfxted just change his identity?

No...a bunch of us did a temporary Tommy thing....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 21.95
$ 12.95
$ 29.95
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
4,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenwood, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirlwind-and-t2-or-nib-acdc-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.