(Topic ID: 107454)

Whirlwind advice: Should it stay or go? (fans only)

By Hougie

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Hougie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Whirlwind is just about perfect in my eyes but I may move mine along. The tornado theme bothers my wife. Her family lost farming equipment and some buildings in a tornado a few years ago. I think the theme is a little too much for her. That being said, she hardly ever plays the other machines either. She said that she will never ask me to sell it because the kids and I love it.

Right now the game is at a friend's house in a temp trade. I have his STLE. Which I can play well but I don't think I enjoy it quite as much as WW. She likes STLE a lot more than LOTR and MET.

What would you guys do in my case? Trade it off/ sell it or keep it around? She doesn't care much about playing anyway.

She and I did play at a local spot and she really enjoyed MM and Tommy. She also liked TAF. It wouldn't take much convincing to trade or sell for one of those titles.

If you want to hate on WW please keep your comment to yourself. If you don't like the game I don't really care what you think anyway.

#2 4 years ago

Whirlwind is sweet, but there's something to be said for rotating titles.. otoh, there are very few games that would get me to swap out my whirlwind.

#3 4 years ago

It's definitely a fun game. No doubt about it. Sell it and replace it with an Addams. Similar shot geometry...awesome game also!

#4 4 years ago

As someone who thinks Whirlwind is one of the best few system 11 titles, I would actually say sell it out of respect for your wife. Replace it with Adams, which is very similar but a bit better, and keep the wife happy.

#5 4 years ago

I absolutely love Whirlwind - one of the best (if not the best) System 11 games - and think it's a keeper. However, you are in a unique situation. Given that the theme could be a painful reminder for your wife, I would replace it with something else. Hearing "The storm is coming" over and over can't be pleasant.

Pinball is supposed to be fun, a quick diversion from whatever else may be going on. If a particular table/theme/artwork takes away from that or evokes a bad memory, it defeats the whole purpose of having games to start with.

Either MM (I would probably go with MMr) or TAF is a great choice. Another to think about is Pat Lawlor's game from JJP next year, which should be a good match if you like Whirlwind but not the theme.

#6 4 years ago

Maybe bounce the idea off of her and see what she thinks of it. I'd phrase it like, "I saw __ for sale the other day, and was wondering what you'd think if we bought it. Maybe we could sell Whirlwind to pay for it. What do you think?" If you approach it that way, you're finding out what she really thinks, and doing it in a positive way. Just be prepared to follow through on it if she says yes.

#7 4 years ago

You should sell it to me.

#8 4 years ago

Yeah, the call outs pretty much bring it all back. I'm thinking of moving it along and maybe buying one years later when things aren't so fresh. She will never love pinball like I do but it shouldn't be a negative experience every time she hears "The storm is coming", "Get in the cellar", etc...

#9 4 years ago

Your wife sounds very supportive and sweet. It probably bothers her more than she says. I would definitely trade it. If you can trade it with a friend then you can still play it frequently, right?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Your wife sounds very supportive and sweet. It probably bothers her more than she says. I would definitely trade it. If you can trade it with a friend then you can still play it frequently, right?

Yeah, the friend who has it loves to have people over, he is retired, so I could go over and play it about any time. That is if he decides to buy it or trade STLE for it. The problem is that the game is still taking him to school every time he plays it. lol.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

You should sell it to me.

Too bad you don't still have your TAF... we'll see.

#12 4 years ago

if you do decide to put a for sale price on your whirlwind please let me know. Played it several times at expo and would love to add one to my lineup.

#13 4 years ago

Not the same boat as you, but about to part with my WW to another pinsider. I agree it's one of the best system 11 games and I LOVE the 4d effect of the fan. But I have 24 pins and space is starting to get crazy. I will miss her - it was a tough decision.

That being said, I agree with all the other posts. TAF is a terrific game to replace WW with. I'm keeping my TAF if that gives you an indication. My wife doesn't really play the games either but years ago I bought a Roadshow and that is the one game she asked not to bring in the house as Red & Ted freaked her and my young daughters out. I sold it the next week. That was game 3 for me - 24 pins later my wife lets me enjoy the hobby. I now own a Funhouse if you can believe that.

Good luck on your decision. WW believe it or not are hard to come by. If you sell it, think of davewth. He was second in line for mine and has been looking for awhile.

#14 4 years ago

I love Whirlwind just got it but alway's been a fan (no pun intended). I can't see it ever leaving.

That being said my wife doesn't really play pinball but her game is the Addams Family and was her favorite at the Expo.

So that could be the solution TAF.. I'm not that familiar with the Stern games so I can't comment on those.

#15 4 years ago

imo Whirlwind has a better layout than TAF.

#16 4 years ago

I'd like to have one. More I play, more I like. Funny to heAr all the buy TAF comments when those are usually are 2x the price of WW.

#17 4 years ago

These "My Pinball Machine(s) vs. The Wife" scenarios rarely work out with everybody happy.....THOUGH it sounds like you are successfully directing your own attrention to the benefits of trying out another game as opposed to obsessing over your attachment to Whirlwind - so hopefully you can work it out.

Good Luck.

#18 4 years ago

Dave, I haven't thought too much about price yet. If I do sell, it has new ramps, plastics, full LEDs, led ocd, and a CPR pf. The cab has had some touch ups but still has some minor nicks and scratches.

#19 4 years ago

I'd get rid of it. We all have those items that evoke bad memories, and I'd hate to have something in my house that brings up a painful memory. Great game, but there are a lot of great games out there to take its place! Reading this thread, it sounds like you can find a loving home for it pretty easily...

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

If you sell it, think of davewth. He was second in line for mine and has been looking for awhile.

BTW...davewth and TomN are two locally who have been on the lookout. Sorry, missed Tom.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

What would you guys do in my case?

I think you should move it along- unfortunately, not to me. Not only is there a swarm in line before me, but something tells me that the condition puts it outside my current budget for one of these. I am right up the road, though.

I think that your wife will appreciate the gesture.

OTOH, a guy local to me bought one after his house was blown away...for this very reason. (Just saying we all see these things differently.)

#22 4 years ago

I just brought in my 2nd WW...missedit while it was gone - a lot.

That being said, my wife was in a horrific accident in a minivan, and doesn't feel comfortable driving it - so, since it's the perfect family vehicle/pin hauler/towing machine, I'm rolling in my couch with wheels rather than a little car like I'd prefer...

#23 4 years ago

Sounds very nice but I don't know if it fits my budget. Didn't realize it had almost everything replaced when I made my comment. Would love to hear the price, though.

#24 4 years ago

Finally got to play it at Expo Hougster.
What a great game ! A little difficult for my novice ass, but I was " blown away" by how much fun it was.
Sounds like yer fixing something that aint broke. Put yer initials all over his game before ya swap back !
Im thinking you need to have a party before ya sell it, with your band headlining.

#25 4 years ago

She actually teared up when I told her my intentions. She knows how much I love the game. I have a green light to get whatever, within reason. Great advice here guys. I have such an awesome and supportive wife!

#26 4 years ago

Sounds like u have awesome comms with wife. Thats cool! What if you put WW in storage for a few years until its not so fresh with her?

#27 4 years ago

It's one of the two games that are the reason I'm a collector today. It's s keeper in my house...
Jaz

#28 4 years ago

If you are in doubt about anything it's usually not meant to be. Most things in life are meant to be experienced and then let go. It's usually the "utter obvious" that are keepers for the long term. Which are really really rare.

#29 4 years ago

Jazman, I see that you have TAF also. How do the two compare in your eyes? You also have MET and LOTR. How does TAF pair with those in your collection. I have always felt that Whirlwind was a nice compliment to those two games.

#30 4 years ago

I had to move my TFTC because of the dmd animations and a recent incident we had to deal with on our block. We have parties a lot and I didn't want anyone to see it. I didn't want to sell it but it just made sense in this case. If I were you, id move it and as you said, possibly pick up again later.

#31 4 years ago

Tough call. The smartest thing you did was include the wife in the decision. Makes things go much smoother in the hobby.

Whirlwind is pure awesomeness. I never actively sought one ought and bought mine on a whim because it was similar to funhouse (my favorite childhood game). I ended up loving the theme, the depth, and the pretty much perfect layout. Lots of storms in Michigan, so it is fitting for me & even feels nostalgic, but I understand the bad association.

If you replace it, I would agree 100% to replace it with a comparable layout (something Pat Lawlor). That way, you can miss the game but not the gameplay.

#32 4 years ago

Build a man cave and stick the pins in there. She'll probably appreciate the freed up space. Had a tornado come through our neighborhood a few years ago. We were fortunate. It either skirted us or jumped over us. I'll never forget that sound though, just like a freight train going full blast. Could not believe the damage we saw the next morning all around us. That said, I've got a WW and it ain't going nowhere.....

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Build a man cave and stick the pins in there. She'll probably appreciate the freed up space. Had a tornado come through our neighborhood a few years ago. We were fortunate. It either skirted us or jumped over us. I'll never forget that sound though, just like a freight train going full blast. Could not believe the damage we saw the next morning all around us. That said, I've got a WW and it ain't going nowhere.....

The pins are in the basement and it has definitely turned into the man cave. She doesn't play often but refuses to play WW when she does. I play WW well and with her hating the theme I am fine with moving it along. I am waiting to hear back from my friend who currently has the game. If he wants to trade STLE for it or buy it fine. Either way I am ok with it finding another good home. I will keep the interested pinheads posted on the status.

#34 4 years ago

You're a good man! I certainly understand your reasons for letting the WW go. I agree... it's probably one of the best Sys 11 pins there are. The good news is... you'll be able to get good $$$ for it and fund another awesome pin. Keep us posted in your decisions.

#35 4 years ago

I never had a WW but really love playing the game at a friends house. I agree with the others, one of the best System 11 games made.

I think you made the right call in moving it along. If my wife disliked the theme on one of my games, I would do the same. Its your only hope to possibly get her engaged in the hobby with you...

#36 4 years ago

I say get rid of it and sell it to me.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I never had a WW but really love playing the game at a friends house.

My hope is that my friend winds up with it. In that scenario, I could still get to play it about any time that I want. If that doesn't work out, the interested folks from this thread will get first dibs.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Hougie:

My hope is that my friend winds up with it. In that scenario, I could still get to play it about any time that I want. If that doesn't work out, the interested folks from this thread will get first dibs.

Now you're thinking. I sold a pin I was reluctant to sell to a friend. It feels good to know exactly where it is...

Also, Whirlwind is on pinball arcade if you have an iPad for a fix

2 weeks later
#40 4 years ago

I give you tons of respect just because you are being considerate of your wife's feelings.

1 week later
#41 4 years ago

TAF is pretty great. I miss WW for sure but I'm enjoying Addams. My three and a half year old son keeps going on about missing WW. That could be a cool project later. He learned to use a ratchet wrench today. I drank coffee and watched him take our old table apart. Pins are an obvious progression.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside