Inserts_sanded_and_glued_(resized).jpg
IMG_2006_(resized).JPG
IMG_2003_(resized).JPG
New_decals_left_cab_(resized).jpg
New_decal_rh_full_(resized).jpg
Left_Side_(resized).JPG
mylar_(resized).jpg
Head_Left_(resized).JPG
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 years ago

I was wondering how this was coming along. Glad to see it is happening and some nice progress has been made. Keep up the good work.

#52 8 years ago

Thanks for the encouraging words you two. Hope to get more done this weekend even if I have to do it myself. Still lots to do and I still want to get my hands on new cpr pf and do it again. So The encouraging words are much appreciated. Tim

#53 8 years ago

Didn't get much done this weekend. But got the pf in the cabinet and cleaned the side rails and installed them. As I was doing that realized we have no lock down bar, translite glass, translite, original shooter rode, new ground braid, CPR playfield, new display, coin door. to make it worse rebuild boards or new. And all new interconnect cables or I got a quote around 1000$ to rebuild my cables. I May have to sell my left nut to finish her.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#54 8 years ago

Just work slow and steady and when you see some good results starting to happen, it will encourage you to keep plugging away at the project. Take it one thing at a time.

Quoted from Twilight1:And all new interconnect cables or I got a quote around 1000$ to rebuild my cables.

On rebuilding your cables, do you mean re-pinning and new connectors? If that is it, you had better get a good crimper and some connector supplies and do it yourself. Worth the effort if it means you might be able to retain your left nut.

#55 8 years ago

pinball life has translite

#56 8 years ago

When we bought it someone cut and stole all the head connectors. And I don't know how much wire went with. So going to lay it out and see how much wire to add and install new connectors. Here is a pic of my crimper. And thank I will take it one thing at a time. And plug away at it my self. Tim

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from pintime:

pinball life has translite

I will look into that. Thanks.

#58 8 years ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

I will look into that. Thanks.

You could probably do a WTB here and get several that will pop up from people who replaced theirs with the CPR backglass.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

You could probably do a WTB here and get several that will pop up from people who replaced theirs with the CPR backglass.

Ya I will do that maybe I'll make a good list first.

#60 8 years ago

Huge shout out to tonylo909 a pinsider here. He has just finish his whirlwind and did a awesome job I would say. But he has donated his old translite to my cause. Thanks tonylo909. Tim

#61 8 years ago

did you seriously pay $1000 for this to start? That should have been a $200-$300 game..and that would have been generous. Even if you got it for $300, you would have way more into it, already than just getting a working nice one for $1500-1900. Even 2k. Looks like it's coming along nice tho. Are you not going to protect and clearcoat the playfield first after doing all this work?

#62 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

did you seriously pay $1000 for this to start? That should have been a $200-$300 game..and that would have been generous. Even if you got it for $300, you would have way more into it, already than just getting a working nice one for $1500-1900. Even 2k. Looks like it's coming along nice tho. Are you not going to protect and clearcoat the playfield first after doing all this work?

Yes we paid to much but the guy would not budge on the price. He would rather let it rot in a sea can. And you are right we are way over the price of buying a nice one. And if I had a new pf right now i'd start all over in a Heart beat. But as for now I want to get it running and make it mint from there. And let the funds regenerate.

#63 8 years ago

you don't need a new playfield. Just clear that one. You can do it yourself for minimal cost. Do the minor touchups you need and try the brush on method like in the other thread. System 11's wear badly. The lacquer chips off and crackles everywhere. Should really seal it in.

as for the guy no budging, then you shouldn't buy. That's the reason people are getting real money for garbage. Some people are just to eager. SHould have told him he's out of line and let him sit on it for a couple of months. They change their tune when they are not getting anything for stuff, and it's just getting in the way. There are many more fish in the sea.

#64 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

There are many more fish in the sea.

Not in this sea of prairie Neo. It's like Mad Max up here.

#65 8 years ago

drive to the states and load the car up and head back. especially over here and MI, there are reasonable deals to be had.

#66 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

drive to the states and load the car up and head back

If our currency was at par, I'd be having a beer with you right now while scouting out deals. And I would have a truck. A big one, with a trailer.

#67 8 years ago

Sadly Smokedog is right , the collectors market is growing up here , but there aren't any machines to go around . I used to bring some up the the states, but with the dollar and generally higher prices in the states , it just isn't worth it right now . Either you buy new and take the hit , or you scrape the bottoms and have fun fixing it up !

#68 8 years ago

It sure is hard finding good titles in good condition around here that is for sure. unless you pay nib prices.

#69 8 years ago

good tough work guys i ’m doing the same on my ww

#70 8 years ago

Stay the course. Half the fun is putting in the effort, and you can't put a price on that. I'll concur with Neo, do the playfield touch ups and clear. It will be worth it. I'm doing the brush method on my Black Rose. Check out the thread if you get a chance.

#71 8 years ago
Quoted from stef34:

good tough work guys i ’m doing the same on my ww

thanks. Do you have a link to a thread I'd like to check it.

#72 8 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Stay the course. Half the fun is putting in the effort, and you can't put a price on that. I'll concur with Neo, do the playfield touch ups and clear. It will be worth it. I'm doing the brush method on my Black Rose. Check out the thread if you get a chance.

I was quoted around 1800$ to 2200$ to touch it up and clear coat. Not to bad of a price since there is a lot of touch ups. But that is in US dollars. So in Canadian with shipping would have brought me around 3000$ just for the playfield. So I'm going to wait for a new cpr and get it recleared.

#73 8 years ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

thanks. Do you have a link to a thread I'd like to check it.

i will post pics very soon.

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from stef34:

i will post pics very soon.

Sweet

#75 8 years ago

yes, after you have it together your really going to wish you cleared it first. Especially with 6 pops. Do you really want to have to cut all the lamp sockets and do it again?

#76 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

yes, after you have it together your really going to wish you cleared it first. Especially with 6 pops. Do you really want to have to cut all the lamp sockets and do it again?

You might be right time will tell all. But These day I have just as much fun working on pins as I do playing them. so right now I would do it all over again.

#77 8 years ago

You know, I'd have paid 1k for that. I agree with the captain that it was priced high, but eh. Whatever. I love me some whirlwind. Definitely my favorite game of all time. It warms my heart to see you really digging in and restoring it. Not to mention, that pin prices here on the east coast of the states are all getting outrageous. I doubt anyone around here would've let it go for less, so you done good.

I'm way over budget on my game, and I'm still in the "gathering parts" stage of my restoration, but I'm never letting it go, and it's a game with a lot of sentimental value to me, so it's totally worth it.

I have to say though, you may want to reconsider and clear that playfield. System 11s have the worst topcoat of any game generation. Couple that with a million pop bumpers and spinners-a-plenty, and you've got a recipe for some paint loss.

Good luck on your restoration, though!

1 week later
#78 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Doing this now on my WW, and for some reason the underside of the game's pop bumper nests are just awful compared to other games.

#79 8 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

You know, I'd have paid 1k for that. I agree with the captain that it was priced high, but eh. Whatever.

I scored a complete with lots of problems WW for ~$850 a couple years ago. I think $1K for an incomplete WW is high and gonna be a headache, but it is rare to find anything desirable, or even undesirable, at a decent price nowadays. Unless you get lucky, you wanna play, you gotta pay.....

#80 8 years ago

Yes paid way to much and running into way more problems then we thought. And Yes the pop bumpers are alway fun. But I'm learning lots about pinball and haveing fun doing so. Today didn't get much done but dug out the harness and they are looking better then I thought. Only need about 20 new conectors or so. O ya and the second last pic don't know were that goes.

#81 8 years ago

are you cutting off the connector or are they missing? SHould never cut them off like that. I go one strand at a time, and make the new connector as I go along. So it's cut 1 wire..strip, crimp and insert in teh same spot in the new molex. repeat. So connectors stay in the same order, and you don't have to look in the manual (which maybe wrong).

#82 8 years ago

I would never cut them like thats the way it was when we bought it.

#83 8 years ago

hope those wire colors match the manual or your in a for a shitload of fawk.

#84 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Hope they do to. But with my luck they won't.

#85 8 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I'm doing a PF swap on my Whirlwind at the same time, so Twilight1 is going to bring that mess to my place and I'll be doing the connectors. At least I'll have mine as a guide. I do hope the colours match up!

Once I'm done with my WW, I get to start on my TZ PF you did for me Neo. 2 years for the CC to cure should be good enough?

#86 8 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

I'm doing a PF swap on my Whirlwind at the same time, so Twilight1 is going to bring that mess to my place and I'll be doing the connectors. At least I'll have mine as a guide. I do hope the colours match up!
Once I'm done with my WW, I get to start on my TZ PF you did for me Neo. 2 years for the CC to cure should be good enough?

Going to have to keep this message sounds like you finally agreed to do my harness. So when should I drop it off. Lol

Glad your WW is near done Jason and it looks amazing. See you Tuesday at the turny. Should I bring my pin with. Ha ha

#87 8 years ago
Quoted from smokedog:

this may be a saving grace for that harness. Good thing you both have one going on at the same time.

#88 8 years ago

1000 bucks for that crappy piece of shit? The seller should be very ashamed. Damn.

#89 8 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

1000 bucks for that crappy piece of shit? The seller should be very ashamed. Damn.

PROBABLY but this is a game very hard to find in America,and when you want something...I've got mine for 600 euros and i need a new display,i'm restoring the playfield of course the cabinet new plastics etc...However i'm living in France and i think we have a lot of pinball butstill this number is hard to find in good shape

#90 8 years ago

A while back Tonylo909 donated a translite to help out the project. It came today not only did he send a translite but all these plastics as well. What a guy thanks Tony. Tim

#91 8 years ago

all the people bad mouthing about the price. come live here for a while and see what you can find .

#92 8 years ago

Very good your project seems to turn out nice!
crossed fingers for the sequel

#93 8 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

all the people bad mouthing about the price. come live here for a while and see what you can find .

Ain't that the truth hard to find any good titles. In good condition here in sask. And if you do you can almost buy a nib pin for the price they want.

#94 8 years ago
Quoted from stef34:

Very good your project seems to turn out nice!
crossed fingers for the sequel

Just check out the sequel no need to cross my fingers you got it covered. Ill be watching keep up the good work it's looks amazing.

#95 8 years ago
Quoted from freezie:

I hope it didn't sound like I was bad mouthing the price. I live in an area sandwiched between Philly and New York, therefore we get a ton of pinball machines that go on sale around here, but also a ton of people asking wayyyyy too much money for them. It's just a general price inflation for the area. There's definitely a price hike of games just for living out in this part of NJ, and the prices are ever climbing.

Anyway though, Whirlwind is one of those games that everyone seems to like, everyone seems to want, and everyone wants to keep. I'm no fortune teller, but I think as pinball inevitably regains it's popularity back, Whirlwind will climb the ranks of most wanted games. OP, treat your game well, and cherish it. I'm glad it fell into good hands.

#96 8 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I hope it didn't sound like I was bad mouthing the price. I live in an area sandwiched between Philly and New York, therefore we get a ton of pinball machines that go on sale around here, but also a ton of people asking wayyyyy too much money for them. It's just a general price inflation for the area. There's definitely a price hike of games just for living out in this part of NJ, and the prices are ever climbing.
Anyway though, Whirlwind is one of those games that everyone seems to like, everyone seems to want, and everyone wants to keep. I'm no fortune teller, but I think as pinball inevitably regains it's popularity back, Whirlwind will climb the ranks of most wanted games. OP, treat your game well, and cherish it. I'm glad it fell into good hands.

No worries it's hard to believe the prices up here in Canada. But for 1000$ you really can't get any thing around here. And with the dollar so low Canadians are selling to the US and cashing in and all the good titles in good condition are gone.

1 week later
#97 8 years ago

Just finished up the top side to my restore, and waiting on a few essential parts to finish the bottom (really, just flipper coils and a spring for the diverter).

Once I get the play field back in and tweaked up, I'll be spending some time doing Twilight1's harness (and he'll be busy doing my TZ cabinet). Fair exchange!

20160410_133947_(resized).jpg20160410_133947_(resized).jpg

#98 8 years ago

Looks amazing man you made quick work of that. And I think it's a fair deal. You save my ass.

#99 8 years ago

very nice indeed i look forward to be at that point on my ww

#100 8 years ago

Nice job!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 90.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 140 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whirl-wind-first-restore-job/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.