(Topic ID: 13047)

Which/Any shows in CA good for finding a playfield to swap?

By sd_tom

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

So, my IJ has a pretty good playfield, but some slightly questionable touch ups, may have a slight downward warp to it that starts somewhere in the middle of all the inserts (bottom of playfield 6.5 degrees, middle of playfield 6.1 degrees). But was thinking that it would be nice to get a nicely redone one I can move things over to it and not get totally lost in the process.. and then perhaps send my old one to whoever I get it from to keep them it in the pool assuming something can be done about the warp.. certainly not noticeable when playing.

As I'm new to this, haven't been to any of the expos.. but Pinball-A-Go-Go, CAX, and Pacific Pinball Expo coming up all through the summer, if I was to attend one, any of them generally have attendance by the respected playfield guys that have already done ones for purchase so I could see what I'm getting? I'd imagine it would be best to contact them ahead to see if they even have any IJs, and if so, make sure they bring them. And, I guess backing up for a second.. is it some pipe dream people have already restored IJs laying around / only way is to have my own worked on.

That, as a general case.. most of these (rightly) advertise the playing of games on their sides, but for those that go.. which in general has the best industry/"stuff to buy" attendance?

#2 12 years ago

Most of the shows have a selection, but I have never seen an IJ.

#3 12 years ago

Finding a used IJ is gonna be a tough one. Just not very many of them out there, it seems.

Best bet would be getting yours restored, and trying to find a way to reinforce it a bit in the process to remove the bow.

Mine has a bit of a bow, but I'm hopeful when I reattach the siderails, it'll straighten out.

#4 12 years ago

I have never seen any of the playfield restoration people at shows here in CA. Rick from BAA is usually at most of the shows with current reproduction playfields, and sometimes will have a NOS 90's B Title pf, but getting an A title pf already restored at a show is kind of unlikely unless someone walking around happens to have one and hears you are looking kind of thing. Best bet is to post a WTB ad here and on RGP which I have done in the past with good results, and be ready to shell out big money on an IJ.

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

So, my IJ has a pretty good playfield, but some slightly questionable touch ups, may have a slight downward warp to it that starts somewhere in the middle of all the inserts (bottom of playfield 6.5 degrees, middle of playfield 6.1 degrees). But was thinking that it would be nice to get a nicely redone one I can move things over to it and not get totally lost in the process.. and then perhaps send my old one to whoever I get it from to keep them it in the pool assuming something can be done about the warp.. certainly not noticeable when playing.

You would definitely want to put out feelers in advance for that.

As for shows, Pin a Go Go is the show to buy games, parts, etc. It's sort of the swap meet show. PPE is good for buying parts but not so much games (most of the games are the museum's collection). CAX is more of a show to play, not really a parts-fest or to buy a game, but a few do.

#6 12 years ago

thanks all.. sounds like need to think about this some more. I just got the thing, so reluctant to do a strip down, mail it off, etc so soon.. maybe if I have to go that route, after a year or so when I can have it down (you know, when the inevitable new machine is added to the collection ).

jonnyo, thanks for the quick summary of the shows / their focus.. exactly what I was looking for.

and thanks johnwartjr for the word "bow" .. it sounds so much better than "warp". Either way whatever it is is so subtle it probably needs to be stripped bare before I can even tell what's going on.. looks fine from the sides. The biggest problem of course is that I know it's there

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

The biggest problem of course is that I know it's there

Pretty much all of us addicts can relate to that statement!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 1,419.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Barrie, ON
$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
2step’s shop

$ 0.00
Playfield - Other
PinJewels

14,000 (OBO)
12,500 (OBO)
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 12.95

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/whichany-shows-in-ca-good-for-finding-a-playfield-to-swap and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.