(Topic ID: 7008)

Which would you prefer play on location. New Stern or restored Bally/Williams

By Tympen

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I am wondering what people would like to see out in the wild, A very nice restored Bally/Williams or a new Stern. Or would it make no difference ? (just wanna play pinball no matter what)

When I say restored I mean LED's, New cabinet decals and nice shiny chrome legs/side rails and lock down bar etc etc

#2 12 years ago

Sorry to kind of dodge the question but I would say a game that is new to me, which in reality means a new "Stern".

#3 12 years ago

What if you had never played that game before? Have you played all the B/W stuff ? or even have you played all of Sterns machines from the last 7 years?

#4 12 years ago
    Quoted from Tympen:

What if you had never played that game before? Have you played all the B/W stuff ? or even have you played all of Sterns machines from the last 7 years?

I have been lucky enough to play most but not all, think I have played all the Bally/Williams since 1990. Lots that I have played that I would like to play more

#5 12 years ago

I'll vote for any machine that is beautiful maintained, mechanical 100%, set at correct levels and having balanced adjustments and fair pricing. Oh, and set up where you're neither disturbing or being disturbed.

With these things sorted, I'll find challanges and my own goals on any machine which should keep me coming back again and again.

#6 12 years ago

Stern,but it depends on the game.

#7 12 years ago

LEDs, decals and legs don't mean much to me. I'd take a dirty one if it played fast and true. I think it depends on titles as to whether a B/W or Stern.

#8 12 years ago

Bally and Williams! But lay off the LEDs except for games which actually look good with them (Xenon comes to mind).

#9 12 years ago

Depends on titles. There are more B/W titles that i'd want to play than Stern titles, by a considerable margin (Stern is limited to Iron Man, Tron, maybe Avatar, Spiderman, RBION, LoTR, TSPP)

#10 12 years ago

Tron LE

#11 12 years ago

B/W, no question.

#12 12 years ago

I vote for the new "Lost" machine by JarJar Inc.

Though admittedly, that wasn't a choice...

#13 12 years ago

My pinball friends and I have most B/W covered in our collections, so when I go out, I'd like to find newer Sterns to play.

However, when I go out, I usually find nothing, so I'd settle for anything well maintained.

#14 12 years ago

I'm more of a Bally/Williams type of guy. But that's just my preference, generally movie themed pins don't do it for me.

#16 12 years ago

i would definately choose Bally/Williams's

#17 12 years ago

B/W DMD games all day ! I like machines that feel solid!

Jim

#18 12 years ago

I'm willing to be that over half the people in this thread have not played a Tron LE.
    It's out of this world, Stern seems to be coming into a new era (thanks to JJ).

#19 12 years ago

Thanks guys, that really gives me some in site as to what the general public are wanting out there.

Seems that a well maintained machine is what really matters.

As I keep my machines well maintained anyway, the fixing up the cabinet decals etc just makes them look more sexy when in a bar or whatever.

Also seems that it really comes down to the title not so much the maker. Stern have made some very good games too.

#20 12 years ago

Honestly wouldn't matter to me as long as it's a great game. Unfortunately id say about 90% of the pins on location are in such bad shape after I've played a ball or 2 and realize the flippers aren't even strong enough to make a steep ramp shot I walk away.

Most pins on locations these days are Sterns since quite a few op's have started to sell off the old B/W's titles that they can make money on. I've never thought abkut buying a routed Stern for obvious reasons.

#21 12 years ago

always depends!

#22 12 years ago

I would choose Bally Williams if I had to pick.

#23 12 years ago

I am mostly indifferent regarding WMS vs. STERN (or DE for that matter). The only mfg. that I would sneer at is late model Gottliebs. But I'd probably still play them anyway.

Far more important to me is that the game is working reasonably well and the glass is cleaned once in awhile. A switch or bulb out here or there never bothers me.

The other thing is light. Far too many locations I've encountered are too dark where they put the games. Either find brighter GI lights or put a clip/work light hanging nearby connected to the same surge strip. A low watt bulb is fine, 25 - 40 watts is plenty.

The condition of the legs and cabinet mean nothing to me. And if you have multiple games, you won't be able to see most of that artwork anyway.

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

I'll vote for any machine that is beautiful maintained, mechanical 100%, set at correct levels and having balanced adjustments and fair pricing

I agree with many, it does not matter as long as it is maintained well and works. I do like to play different pins and I do not have any new Sterns so I like to see Sterns in the wild. Soon I hope to be l;ooking for JJP's made from B/W parts in the wild.

#25 12 years ago

Either

#26 12 years ago

Don't care which brand. It's all about how good the game is, and how well it runs. Both have some fantastic games, and some real dogs.

Lets put it this way. I'm primarily a B/W guy, but I walked away from an amazing looking Monsters Bash just a couple months ago during the first ball, all because it was so badly leveled that a ball got stuck halfway through a ramp.

-Hans

#27 12 years ago

I like all pinball. Not a fan of the new "classic" or "pro" Sterns of late, but I do like their LE models. Sorry, but Tron LE compared to a Pro Tron is really playing 2 different pins.

There are old B/W pins that I still have not played, or haven't played on a machine that was well maintained as to get what it should play like.

Some games that I have played, but not owned are also high on my list. I have only put about 6-7 games on a Champion Pub. Same with a Cactus Canyon. I want to play Jim's sample Dirty Harry super bad.

So, I would say both, with me leaning towards B/W unless it is a LE Edition.

#28 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I vote for the new "Lost" machine by JarJar Inc.
    Though admittedly, that wasn't a choice...

Thanks for the vote of confidence TG!

#30 12 years ago

With the exception of the PHOF, I've never found an older game on location that didn't have problems or otherwise take my money with no return. There's a place about 35 miles from me with an AFM, TZ, and EATPM. They're always broken, over a period of years now. So, it seems that Stern is the winner by default. Still, there aren't too many of those around anymore either. I only know where a TDK and BBH are within 20 miles of my home and Tampa is probably in the top 20 of American cities.

#31 12 years ago

B/W, because there's no such thing as a nicely restored one in the wild, at least not here.

#32 12 years ago

Basically just Stern games in my region, which is fine. However, the fact that there still are some routed B/W games out there is a testament to their durability and lasting interest in their themes.

#33 12 years ago

I just put out a very nice home quality IJ, and its doing really well. But when I wheeled it into the pub they couldn't believe it was 18 years old. I have been operating pinball for 17 years now and have always tried to keep them running well and make sure they are levelled properly. I have to make them run well because I am not coming back to the location for 6 weeks. When I get back there I sometimes find the machine jacked up on one side so the ball drains more to the kickback. Site owners are some of the worst offenders!!!! For break ins too!!!!

I am heading over to USA in a weeks time (florida) I am going to have a look around at the state of the US market and see how they do it compared to us Aussies. I take great care of my 40 odd pins on location but they really dont earn as well as Driving or Skill Cranes. I think sometimes its a labour of love.

Thanks for all the comments, sometimes as operators the only feedback we get is from the guy who runs the place and thats not always much. Most of the time we have to go on gut instinct as to what players want.

#34 12 years ago

The correct answer is a well maintained one. After that, it's not the brand but the title.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-would-you-prefer-play-on-location-new-stern-or-restored-ballywilliams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.