You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which gets announced by Stern first?”

• Game of Thrones 127 votes
    34%
  • Spider Man VE 84 votes
    22%
  • Neither, Stern will announce something else first (Jurassic Park, Jaws, whatever) 72 votes
    19%
  • I hate speculation, but I do like to vote in polls 93 votes
    25%

(376 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11027936_10153568436059244_4022253047838240425_n.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-09-03_at_9.34.19_PM.png
got.png
image.jpg
images.jpg
Capture.jpg
th.jpeg
Walking-Dead-Pinball.jpg
tease.png
2ball.jpg
game-of-thrones.jpg
20150901_115955-2.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

There are 859 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.
#701 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The LCD screen itself probably won't cost much more than the DMD.

It will likely cost less I would think...the development costs would be high but the display itself should be dirt cheap for them compared to a special purpose product like a DMD.

#702 8 years ago
Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

Anyone here consider that Stern may be having a dilemma on how to implement the lcd into the pro model at current prices or be scrambling on a way make the lcd exclusive to premium/le models only?

then they would have to develop dots and animations, that would end up costing more, wouldnt it?

#703 8 years ago

True, but Gary isn't going to be putting lcd games into the market in a $4k price range. If he did (which I think would be a killer business move) it would steal quite a bit of thunder from the others selling lcd games for $8k plus.

#704 8 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

I don't see why people care about LCD so much. Dots have been fine for over 20 years. Recent Stern titles have REALLY good ones. I wish they would come colorized from the get go and save us $400 for a ColorDMD, but that's about it.
Feel the LCD display on WOZ adds very little and the original animations in the game look wooden and cheap.
Care much more about play field toys, mechanics and code than I do a display.

I'd also be happy with something like the color DMD upgrade for MMr or the TBL display. I've played WOZ quite a lot, and the LCD doesn't add anything for me. I rarely recall even glancing at it... start of multiball mainly.

Stern adding LCD with full content will just be another big price jump. There's lots of extra work / cost associated with that content.

#705 8 years ago

As a player and owner, I don't care about an LCD. But as an operator...I hear how well WOZ earns and wonder how much of it has to do with the LCD.

#706 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

I know a lot of old school EM'ers that LOVE pinball, buy new pinball, but could give two shits about what type of display is in the game - score reels are their bread and butter.

It's due to two reasons: nostalgia/elegance, and cost (they are relatively cheap).

Quoted from Taygeta:

I don't see why people care about LCD so much. Dots have been fine for over 20 years.

No one missed digit displays when there when reels were the defacto standard.
No one missed alphanumeric displays when digits were the defacto standard.
No one missed Color DMDs when monochrome DMDs were the defacto standard.
No one missed LCDs when DMDs were the defacto standard.

In all the above cases new technology prompted every manufacturer to adopt the new display standard. It's perfectly logical to ask why games are still produced with old technology when the new technology has been here for years.

#707 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

But as an operator...I hear how well WOZ earns and wonder how much of it has to do with the LCD.

You hear, or you experienced it first hand? Just curious. Heard the same but "Hearsay, your Honor"...

#708 8 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

You hear, or you experienced it first hand? Just curious. Heard the same but "Hearsay, your Honor"...

Haven't experienced it firsthand. But I've heard it, repeatedly, from multiple sources (some of whom I know personally, and others I don't).

I know games do differently in different locations and in different lineups. But since I've started paying attention, WOZ might be the most consistently good earner I've heard anyone mention.

#709 8 years ago

Gary stern at expo confrence
Everyone gets excited
"The next game we will make is."
Everyone loses their collective god damn minds.
GOT fans being to yell
Jaws fans bite eachother
Spider-Man fans tingling
"CURRENTLY BEING BRAINSTORMED"
Pinball fans commit max exodus.

#710 8 years ago

IF GOT is the next theme... it would be a huge disappointment having still the old school DMD.
Hey they changed their platform and the next release is the THIRD on SPIKE! Especially if you have a TV or movie based licence, there is no way to go for the dots.

Don't get me wrong, I like dots... but it is time to move forward.

And there is no need to rework anything for the VEs... If so, then spend the money to polish the code not the dots or whatever...

#711 8 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

then they would have to develop dots and animations, that would end up costing more, wouldnt it?

Exactly. It makes zero sense to have DMD on Pro and LCD on Prem/LE. Once Stern makes this leap - all versions will have LCD.

#712 8 years ago

It would make sense for them to use a color capable LCD in the game regardless if animations were high res or just dots. That hardware is cheaper and could be upgraded later.

#713 8 years ago
Quoted from Jgaltr56:

It would make sense for them to use a color capable LCD in the game regardless if animations were high res or just dots. That hardware is cheaper and could be upgraded later.

Display hardware is one thing - hardware for the brains behind it is a completely different story. There's a good reason JJP has such a beefy (and expensive) processing system to be able to handle all of their animations. Although, I would assume if STERN is progressing towards a color display that the new SPIKE system will be able to handle it...

#714 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Display hardware is one thing - hardware for the brains behind it is a completely different story. There's a good reason JJP has such a beefy (and expensive) processing system to be able to handle all of their animations. Although, I would assume if STERN is progressing towards a color display that the new SPIKE system will be able to handle it...

I hope so otherwise we'll be waiting a long time for a color LCD from Stern

#715 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

There are pros and cons to the JJP system, just like there are pros and cons to SPIKE.

There's no perfect answer (unless I designed it, j/k).

#716 8 years ago

Spike was designed for LCD displays:

"The new SPIKETM system is based on distributed processor architecture and an industrial grade network protocol. These technologies reduce product complexity and simplify the manufacturing of the game resulting in a more efficient, reliable and easier-to-service game. The system is designed to facilitate integration of various display technologies such as varying size LCD displays both on the playfield and in the backbox. The scalable nature of the system allows for the integration of Wi-Fi and numerous new game specific features and technologies."

http://www.sternpinball.com/community/new-spike-system

#717 8 years ago

I guess I didn't think that was even a question anymore. If you look at the hardware it's capable of playing video files.

IMO, that's all you really need. You don't need to do rendering on the fly.

#718 8 years ago

Maybe tomorrow winter will come...

#719 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Maybe tomorrow winter will come...

Who knows. We are running out of daylight on the Wednesday thing.

#720 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Who knows. We are running out of daylight on the Wednesday thing.

But everyone knows it is dark in winter

#721 8 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Omg. Stern deleted their own Facebook comment and just left the original posters question up about this topic.
Glad I copied and pasted it here.
Wonder what changed their mind?
I'm a friend of Jarred but I have to call Silly when I see it. Lol

Yup my comment is gone. It's not like Stern has a history of deleting posts or censoring......

#722 8 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

The Spike design would allow you to add another graphics engine as another module. So even if the embedded processors on the main spike board couldn't drive the kind of display desired... the design would be to add a graphics 'module' and link it to the bus. You might imagine another card in the backbox with it's own storage device and a graphics processor to which the LCD could connect.

#723 8 years ago

61 new posts and nothing???

#724 8 years ago

Man, I have been waiting to make my first big purchase for over a year now. I have to say, I was almost certain TWD was going to get the nod, but if GOT gets announced, I will have to seriously reconsider. Pretty much the only theme I like better than TBL and TWD, is GOT.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#725 8 years ago
Quoted from clg:

For now it's still Fall...

#726 8 years ago
Quoted from clg:

You know nothing Jon Snow

#727 8 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

61 new posts and nothing???

Long way to go to catch up to the Hobbit thread ...

#728 8 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Long way to go to catch up to the Hobbit thread ...

I know, not even game to try. Is it on the line yet?

#729 8 years ago

Its 5pm eastern, the wait continues....

#730 8 years ago

Does anyone think they'll really announce a new game going into the last long weekend of summer? Don't distributors want the weekend off instead of handling phone calls?

It will be next week if it happens.

#731 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Does anyone think they'll really announce a new game going into the last long weekend of summer? Don't distributors want the weekend off instead of handling phone calls?
It will be next week if it happens.

Stern announced TWD a week after Labor Day last year, so what you say makes sense.

#732 8 years ago

If Hendrix is true, it has to be coded by Lyman. Anyone else would be an insult to his legacy. No offense, other programmers; even though it's been predetermined in this thread that insults are always accompanied by "no offense".

This can't be one of those "Mick on a Stick" blunders either.

Acid Headband mode please.

yeah i like hendrix

#733 8 years ago

Jimi is the best news (of a rumour, thanks RH!) to come out of this thread, IMO.

A psychedelic rock pin would need a colour display, though. So, maybe in 10 years?

#734 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Stern announced TWD a week after Labor Day last year, so what you say makes sense.

I looked up Star Trek, same thing, week after labor day the year prior. So there is a trend.

#735 8 years ago

There's also a marketing saying "You don't launch new product in August", which reasonably would go to Labor Day.

#736 8 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

Today is the day it's only 5am eastern time.

Why did you have to go and get everybody's hopes up, man? Not cool, bro.

#737 8 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Why did you have to go and get everybody's hopes up, man? Not cool, bro.

Tomorrow. It has to be tomorrow....right, guys???

This discussion is starting to enter my dreams. "2016 Pirates of the Caribbean VE." Maybe it's time to stop refreshing this thread....

#738 8 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There's also a marketing saying "You don't launch new product in August", which reasonably would go to Labor Day.

I've never heard that before but it makes sense. July, August and January have to be the worst time for new products.

#739 8 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Jimi is the best news to come out of this thread, IMO.

Someone randomly throwing something out there isn't "news" ...it's not even a rumor!

#740 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Someone randomly throwing something out there isn't "news" ...it's not even a rumor!

In this case, though, it's definitely a rumor.

#741 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

In this case, though, it's definitely a rumor.

I don't buy it.

#742 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't buy it.

Don't or won't?

#743 8 years ago

I don't believe they'd do Hendrix as a music theme. I don't see the market. Sure he's a great musician - but seems like most of the rock pins they do now are bands that are still around, still touring, and still resonate. With Hendrix, you're in "Elvis territory" ...but he's not the "character icon" that Elvis is - and therefore wouldn't translate to a game or game sales. IMO.

#744 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't buy it.

Well I'm not necessarily the one selling it.

This isn't one that I'm going to vouch for, let's put it that way. But at the same time, there are definitely rumors about this happening.

#745 8 years ago

Rumor or not a Hendrix pin is far more interesting to me than acdc, met, kiss and whatever else Stern can dig up.

#746 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't believe they'd do Hendrix as a music theme. I don't see the market. Sure he's a great musician - but seems like most of the rock pins they do now are bands that are still around, still touring, and still resonate. With Hendrix, you're in "Elvis territory" ...but he's not the "character icon" that Elvis is - and therefore wouldn't translate to a game or game sales. IMO.

There's a market IMO. One of the greatest musicians to ever walk the earth. Is there a market. Hell yes!

#747 8 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

seems like most of the rock pins they do now are bands that are still around, still touring, and still resonate.

Or still have a pulse. Even if only barely.

#748 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

There's a market your just not as big of a fan as some. One of the greatest musicians to ever walk the earth. Is there a market. Hell yes!

Well put.

#750 8 years ago

You gotta look at the rumors for what they are, just fun things to pass back and forth until the real news comes out. Sometimes they are right and sometimes they are wrong.

You eventually learn who is more right than not, but it would still be a stretch for me to trust any rumor enough to guide decisions I make.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Canyon Lake, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
There are 859 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-will-be-first-got-or-sm-ve/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.