You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which gets announced by Stern first?”

• Game of Thrones 127 votes
    34%
  • Spider Man VE 84 votes
    22%
  • Neither, Stern will announce something else first (Jurassic Park, Jaws, whatever) 72 votes
    19%
  • I hate speculation, but I do like to vote in polls 93 votes
    25%

(376 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

11027936_10153568436059244_4022253047838240425_n.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-09-03_at_9.34.19_PM.png
got.png
image.jpg
images.jpg
Capture.jpg
th.jpeg
Walking-Dead-Pinball.jpg
tease.png
2ball.jpg
game-of-thrones.jpg
20150901_115955-2.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 859 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 18.
#501 8 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I'm excited to see what comes. An LCD is not that big of a deal to me.

Exactly.

I *do* want an LCD. But I am certainly not going to make a decision to buy or not buy GoT based on whether it has an LCD screen! You don't play the LCD screen any more than you play the playfield or cabinet art. Yes, it can add to the visual enjoyment overall, but that's a small percentage of the overall enjoyment of the pin, with the majority coming from how it shoots, rules, call outs, sounds, and music, as well as theme integration.

TWD has some of the best dots I have ever seen. There is definitely a part of me that will miss the creativity that goes into creating those types of displays when they are replaced with the LCD.

Like Ben said in another thread:

Quoted from benheck:

Stern could release Ghostbusters with a piece of whiteboard to write your scores on in leiu of a display and most of you still would sprain your wrists trying to pull out your wallets fast enough.
Displays are nice, but in the end the GAME matters.

#502 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.
I *do* want an LCD. But I am certainly not going to make a decision to buy or not buy GoT based on whether it has an LCD screen! You don't play the LCD screen any more than you play the playfield or cabinet art. Yes, it can add to the visual enjoyment overall, but that's a small percentage of the overall enjoyment of the pin, with the majority coming from how it shoots, rules, call outs, sounds, and music, as well as theme integration.
TWD has some of the best dots I have ever seen. There is definitely a part of me that will miss the creativity that goes into creating those types of displays when they are replaced with the LCD.
Like Ben said in another thread:

I look at what is out there - WOZ/Hobbit display, new MM display, Heighway LCD, BOP 2.0 Color display, Color DMD, even Nero has LCD. And Stern just regular DMD, not even color and people are ok with it??

#503 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I look at what is out there - WOZ/Hobbit display, new MM display, Heighway LCD, BOP 2.0 Color display, Color DMD, even Nero has LCD. And Stern just regular DMD, not even color and people are ok with it??

I like pixel art. /shrug

I wish it was in color, sure, but other than that, I have no beef with DMD style art. I'd be happy if they just doubled the resolution and went to color. I don't care for full video and fancy video overlays.. I want to see some artwork, not clip rips.

311277.png311277.png

wallpaper.pngwallpaper.png

ProjectPreview3.pngProjectPreview3.png

#504 8 years ago
Quoted from TaTa:

Apparently they're having power issues implementing the LCD with all the features that GOT will have. But again, I do not work for Stern and can only rely on what my source teases me with.

How is that even possible. They're using a switching power supply...it's not like those things aren't made in a million different configurations...just look at the PC market alone, you can buy anything from 250w to 1200w and some of them are providing up to 45 amps @ 15 volts on three separate 12v rails..

We're talking about what...15 or 20 watts, tops, to run a DMD sized LCD screen plus the overhead for video processing? It's not exactly a herculean power disparity here to overcome. It sounds to me like extremely poor planning on their part to not have a modular option in power supplies and they've locked themselves into one specific setup due to that stupid location and power switch orientation...

#505 8 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Like I said, I want an LCD screen. But I will still buy GoT without one if I like what I see

Not sure if that means I'm "ok with it" or not under your definition

Frankly I prefer what I see on my TWDs DMD over what I've seen on Heighways LCD on Full Throttle

#506 8 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

mnpinball just said in the hobbit update thread that he heard no LCD in GoT as well. He tends to have excellent sources so this is starting to look rather gloomy on the subject.

If true, this is really unfortunate. GoT has some amazing cinematics in the show that would look great on a pin.

I would really like to add a modern looking game to my lineup. Anymore, I think the Stern DMD is looking dated compared to MMR, Heighway, or JJP displays.

#507 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

If true, this is really unfortunate. GoT has some amazing cinematics in the show that would look great on a pin.
I would really like to add a modern looking game to my lineup. Anymore, I think the Stern DMD is looking dated compared to MMR, Heighway, or JJP displays.

At the very least would hope for something like this.

#508 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.TWD has some of the best dots I have ever seen. There is definitely a part of me that will miss the creativity that goes into creating those types of displays when they are replaced with the LCD.

The other option is to do what CGC is doing with Colorizing MMr... higher-res full color custom dots.

#509 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

The other option is to do what CGC is doing with Colorizing MMr... higher-res full color custom dots.

Yep. That looks amazing actually. I have to say I haven't been surprised by something in pinball in a good long while but that video CGC posted blew me away and really has me considering MMr now.

I would love something like that on GoT (heck, they could do that for SM Comic Art edition to...would be awesome).

#510 8 years ago

Seems strange if it were true GOT is delayed due to LCD/Spike power issues. It's really late in development to discover something like this. The graphics would be all but complete tat this stage, how could it have suddenly become such an issue.

Whether you think colour graphics are important for pinball or not, one thing for certain is GOT need's this colour LCD if the rumoured price increase is to be justified.

#511 8 years ago

The only justification Stern has ever needed to raise prices is one or two more mechs than usual, or everyone else in the market selling games at ridiculous prices....which is still going on despite the failures of Predator and the Jpop Trilogy.

#512 8 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

MMr has an LCD. Just be jade the display looks retro doesn't mean anything. If Sterns having technical issues, the art style won't fix anything.

#513 8 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Yeah the cinematics are great but then a lot of the stuff in the show is extremely graphic and scary or sexual, White Walkers attacking, The Mountain vs the Viper, the walk of shame I think a DMD would be more likely to make it into more collectors homes - possibly that was the thinking behind it? It's going to be toy heavy from what we hear, which is clearly a good thing, I think we might see a castle in some form or possibly an iron throne, coupled with the dragons upper playfield it could certainly be packed with great stuff, along with a lock bar button and several colour changing inserts on all models, I expect the light show to be fantastic

Maybe it could outdo Medieval Madness and Hobbit all in one, I'm sure that's what Steve and team will be aiming for

#514 8 years ago

Any guesses on what day this week we'll see the announcement? I'm gonna say Wednesday.

#515 8 years ago

Friday

#516 8 years ago

Teaser reveal Wednesday, full game pictures Friday?

#517 8 years ago

Frednesday.

#518 8 years ago

With the amount of distributors saying it's GoT, i'll be surprised if Stern reveal another game instead.

#519 8 years ago

Was told the same thing.

#520 8 years ago

Some time between now and the announcement there will be a teaser. Then it will be announced on the day of the announcement.

#521 8 years ago
Quoted from ahdelarge:

With the amount of distributors saying it's GoT, i'll be surprised if Stern reveal another game instead.

Yeh, would be a huge surprise. Same distributors who have confirmed GOT, have also flat out denied SMVE - at least for the next couple of releases.

#522 8 years ago

I wonder what their secret production code name will be for GOT?
King Arthur?
Castlevania?
Queen of Hearts?

#523 8 years ago

This may or may not be further confirmation, but I just noticed that PinballNews.com has a listing for "GOT - Game Of Thrones - 2015 - Stern Pinball" on their "Acronyms" page:
http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/acronyms.html

Screen Shot 2015-08-30 at 7.13.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2015-08-30 at 7.13.35 PM.png

#524 8 years ago

Well there you go.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#525 8 years ago
Quoted from mufcmufc:

Yeah the cinematics are great but then a lot of the stuff in the show is extremely graphic and scary or sexual, White Walkers attacking, The Mountain vs the Viper, the walk of shame

That's exactly what I want!

#526 8 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

King Arthur?
Castlevania?
Queen of Hearts?

It's going to be "THE JIGSAWS"

"T"ron, "H"itchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, "E."T., "J"aws, "I"ron Maiden, "G"ame of Thrones, "S"pider-Man, "A"ngry Birds, "W"alt Disney "S"tar Wars.

jigsawf80b15161b84f2713f559990fbc91dcd0ec52ef4.jpgjigsawf80b15161b84f2713f559990fbc91dcd0ec52ef4.jpg

#527 8 years ago
Quoted from mrclean:

It's going to be "THE JIGSAWS"
"T"ron, "H"itchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, "E."T., "J"aws, "I"ron Maiden, "G"ame of Thrones, "S"pider-Man, "A"ngry Birds, "Walt Disney" "S"tar Wars.

Wow. You had a LOT of free time today.

#528 8 years ago
Quoted from Join_The_Cirqus:

King Arthur?
Castlevania?
Queen of Hearts?

How funny would it be if their code name for GOT was "The Hobbit"
I could see Gary pulling that off for some reason.. Haha

#529 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Man I'm not seeing that Rob with TWD dots. Of course I haven't changed out my display yet which has some issues but Road Show blows it away imo.

Either way I don't really care about any Dmd. It's time to move onward and upward.

#530 8 years ago

If there is not going to be a new display, then what have they been working on during this long build cycle? Multi-level playfield? Wide body? Fire breathing dragon?

#532 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

The art is going to be wicked!! I'm so glad they are actually seeking out talented artists to do the art packages. It really does affect sales. Pins are not just mechanical marvels we also collect them because they are like pieces of art that you can enjoy even when your not playing.

This guy

image.jpgimage.jpg

#533 8 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Man I'm not seeing that Rob with TWD dots. Of course I haven't changed out my display yet which has some issues but Road Show blows it away imo.
Either way I don't really care about any Dmd. It's time to move onward and upward.

That's crazy! I have a RS here right now (baby sitting it) with a color dmd in it no less, and I think the dots on TWD blow it away.

#534 8 years ago

Next Stern Pin will be GOT.

No Freaking LCD either GD-it

Caveat - It will come with the most complete first release Code to date for a Stern Pin EVER, not saying there won't be some Bugs but I think we'll be extremely impressed with the completeness of GOT's shipped Code compared to what has shipped with the last nine Stern Pins.

Without an LCD & for what Stern is getting to price wise for Premiums/LE's sadly I think we'll have to pass even thought its my FAVORITE Game Designers Pin (SR)

Really Really Really wish the next Pin was SM-VE so GOT can have an LCD

Most likely mid/late next year for SM-VE if not 2017, lots of work to be done to re-release it - Art (Cabinet & PF) + Animation/Dots.

#535 8 years ago

Perfect pinball music:

#536 8 years ago

Has it been confirmed GoT is a Steve Ritchie design? I think that was stated before, but just looking to confirm.

#537 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Has it been confirmed GoT is a Steve Ritchie design? I think that was stated before, but just looking to confirm.

Not confirmed, but 99.9% certain from most the community.

#538 8 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Technically GoT isn't even confirmed.

#539 8 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

Technically GoT isn't even confirmed.

It is 100% GoT though and 100% SR

#540 8 years ago
Quoted from Pin_-_K:

Next Stern Pin will be GOT.

No Freaking LCD either GD-it

Caveat - It will come with the most complete first release Code to date for a Stern Pin EVER, not saying there won't be some Bugs but I think we'll be extremely impressed with the completeness of GOT's shipped Code compared to what has shipped with the last nine Stern Pins.

Without an LCD & for what Stern is getting to price wise for Premiums/LE's sadly I think we'll have to pass even thought its my FAVORITE Game Designers Pin (SR)

Really Really Really wish the next Pin was SM-VE so GOT can have an LCD

Most likely mid/late next year for SM-VE if not 2017, lots of work to be done to re-release it - Art (Cabinet & PF) + Animation/Dots.

I highly doubt spidey will take that long to come out.

#541 8 years ago

Who's on code for GOT?

#542 8 years ago

Dwight Sullivan, supposedly.

#543 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Who's on code for GOT?

It was said here Dwight is doing the code. But I don't know if that is good or bad.

#544 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Dwight Sullivan, supposedly.

I remember seeing Steve Ritchie give a speech (on youtube) and he said that Lyman Sheets was coding his next game.

Could something have changed with the timing of the releases?

#545 8 years ago

Look...I used to really hope Sheats is doing GOT. But then I heard about Dwight Sullivan. Didn't know who he was, and once I found out he had done POTC, one of my favorite games, I figured I'd be happy with either guy. They're both great.

#546 8 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

I remember seeing Steve Ritchie give a speech (on youtube) and he said that Lyman Sheets was coding his next game.
Could something have changed with the timing of the releases?

That was said a long long time ago.

#547 8 years ago

Oh...and the other talk I've heard here is that the code is pretty far along because of the development time the game has taken. But that could be a load of BS like so much else on this forum.

#548 8 years ago

Sry it's just my opinion, but I don't like the potc code. Only the battle against the ship and the kraken is funny, everything else feels like work to do. But I think Dwight is someone that can fulfill SRs ideas and so it will be all good.

#549 8 years ago

Perhaps it would be better if with GOT you don't have to replay the whole show plot. I would think it would be funny if you make it a battle and fight between the houses who will sit on the throne in the end. Let every player choose a house he wants to fight for at the start. Every house has a mode. And you have to conquer every other house playing their modes and defend your land against white walkers and dragons. A game for the throne!

#550 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Oh...and the other talk I've heard here is that the code is pretty far along because of the development time the game has taken. But that could be a load of BS like so much else on this forum.

It's Dwight Sullivan leading the code and that code is pretty far along

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.50
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 25.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 859 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 18.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-will-be-first-got-or-sm-ve/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.