Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 145 posts
  • 77 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wax3 (resized).jpg
    wax1 (resized).jpg
    wax2 (resized).jpg
    download (resized).jpg
    61MNVyslRDL._SL1000_.jpg
    IMG_4798.JPG
    IMAG0447.jpg
    wax.png
    solarez.jpg
    174064[1].jpg
    thCA4E8N21-115.jpg
    Eagle One.jpg
    41jgX637brL._SY300_.jpg
    image-439.jpg
    Residue.jpg
    Wax.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

Hi!
    I have used this blitz wax for a year now. It is quite grainy
    and it leaves so much residue on the playfield even though I try to
    buff it out the best I can. After the original buffing the wax residue
    climbs to the playfield from e.g. target holes, where the wax has gone
    into hiding from the buffing. In any case, I have to clean the playfield
    each day for ca. one week after the original buffing with a microfiber
    cloth to get rid of the residue.
    Are there any better choices for the wax to use and which would
    not have similar problems?

Great example of why I never recommend this crap wax.

I know there are people that swear by it, but the difficulty in application and removal makes it an absolute non-starter, especially for a pin. My experience with it has been on cars, and it sucks.

This is what I'd recommend for a pin, as it is super easy to apply and remove (make sure to use *very* little and spread it thinly!):

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-insulator-wax-845.html

Quoted from vid1900:

I think you are just using WAY too much wax on your applicator.

Probably, but even using a little, I have found this wax to be very difficult to work with. Its on the bottom of my list of waxes that I've used...and I've used a ton of waxes over the years as auto detailing is another hobby of mine.

Blitz wax also stains black trim on cars. That would make me a bit concerned about using it on a pin around the plastics.

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinchroma:

P21s is the only wax to use. With einszett 1z spruh wax in between waxings.

Awesome stuff for sure!

Gotta pay for it though.

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Think of the wax as a sacrificial layer, between the ball and your playfield. 2 or 3 thin layers applied and removed between applications, will be better than 1 thick coat. The thicker the coat, the harder it will be to remove.

Well it doesn't exactly work that way.

Whether you apply the wax very thinly or really lay it on heavy, the layer left behind after you buff it off will be the same (assuming that you got full coverage).

There is great debate as to how much benefit there is to doing multiple coats. I would say that there is a general consensus on the auto detailing forums that it makes little sense to apply multiple layers of a pure carnauba wax.

Synthetics, on the other hand, can be layered to create a slightly thicker coat. The important thing is to allow each coat to cure thoroughly before applying the next coat, or it will not bond/layer properly. While some people will put up to 8 layers of a sealant on their car, this is of very questionable value. Many agree that 3 layers of a synthetic is probably the most that you can apply and still get some slight "layering".

But either way, applying the sealant thick and heavy will not leave behind a thicker coat than applying it thinly. In fact, the opposite can be true, because applying a sealant too thick can prevent it from bonding properly.

EDIT: I'm an idiot. I read your post completely wrong. What you said is accurate.

1 year later
    #136 9 years ago

^ that's good stuff!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-wax-for-the-playfield?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.