Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8134CCD7-B5B7-4D40-9F13-62C056E9C369 (resized).jpeg
A723A3C7-5866-402F-AACA-4D9D1A9BEA55 (resized).jpeg
Hobbit Pinball (resized).JPG
egribglymti_o_tootsie-blow-pop (resized).jpg
15137890530971308725975 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I'm considering my first JJP game and all 4 are appealing for one reason or another. TH has the lowest buy-in. Which version is the one to look for (Smaug, Black Arrow, Standard)? Are they all JJP 2.0 so it doesn't matter? I'm new to JJP so any advice would be appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

Go with an LE. There are 3 versions available, LE, Smaug LE, and Black Arrow. Smaug's came out first, so are older. Make sure if you get one it has all the fixes. LE and Black arrow LE have all the newer fixes because they came out later. Only other differences are aesthetics. Different decals, different armor (gold, copper, and black) Smaug has gold dragon instead of red, and Black arrow has black flipper buttons and a black ball to react with the Newton ball. Both black arrow and Smaug have a different animation sequence as part of the attract mode. I bought an LE because I liked the side art the best, prefer the copper tone powder coated armor (didn't like the gold and Black is kinda plain) and prefer the red dragon. Didn't care for the black ball (hard to see). Love mine and have never had a problem other than replaced a broken spring and some switch adjustments. Not bad for over 1,000 games played. I have mine at 7.0 degrees and it plays fast. Hope this helps. Love mine and at the current used prices would jump on an LE (of your choice) especially since there is prediction of a big code update coming this summer. Don't do a standard. LE gets you the barrel pops,invisiglass (yes, it's great) and shaker. Buy the ring button mod from Flip n Out pinball, worth it.

15137890530971308725975 (resized).jpg15137890530971308725975 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

The main differences are cosmetic and the trim. Although, LE/Smaug/BA all have invisiglass and a shaker motor. Black Arrow edition does have new artwork on the cabinet. There is different playfield artwork for a couple editions. The color of the smaug toy can be red or gold, depending on the edition.

Standard: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6222

LE: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6223

Smaug gold: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6224

Black Arrow: http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=6456

I've heard a few people snag a hobbit for under $6k on the secondary market. If you want one, I'd say grab whichever one you can get for the best price.

#4 6 years ago

I ironically the Black Arrow is gonna be the rarest of the bunch....it's my preference

#5 6 years ago

I would buy used if you're looking at The Hobbit. There are good deals on HUO games, and you'll take a huge hit in value buying new right now. It's the weakest of the JJP family, so people are often dropping it to pick up Dialed In or get in early on Pirates.

If you have no experience with JJP, I wouldn't worry too much. It's pretty easy to work on them, and their documentation is excellent.

Before you zero in on The Hobbit, I would give Wizard of Oz and Dialed In a close look. Just make sure you actually want The Hobbit over the other two.

#6 6 years ago

The least expensive one.

egribglymti_o_tootsie-blow-pop (resized).jpgegribglymti_o_tootsie-blow-pop (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

I ironically the Black Arrow is gonna be the rarest of the bunch....it's my preference

Standard Hobbit is by far the rarest in terms of quantity made.

#8 6 years ago

I agree, used is the way to go. I picked up a Smaug and really love it. The game just keeps growing on me as I understand more of the rules/modes and get better at completing them. Buy the cheapest nicest condition game you can find. No one has a crystal ball, but I don't see these games getting any cheaper, it's a good time to be buying.

#9 6 years ago

If you look at the current JJP setup, Smaug is like the Collectors Edition, Le is the Le, standard is std and the black arrow is an unlimited premium which looks nice except stern made non glossy black armour look cheap to me. Also the problem with the le/std/ba is the cabs look to photoshoped to me.

To me Smaug looks the best, art is awesome and has the nicest powdercoat, and the painted gold smaug head looks better than red as well.

Any version is a great game

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

To me Smaug looks the best, art is awesome and has the nicest powdercoat, and the painted gold smaug head looks better than red as well.
Any version is a great game

Agree with this statement!

Quoted from adii:

Are they all JJP 2.0

(FYI) 2.01 just came out the other day http://www.jerseyjackpinball.com/support/

#11 6 years ago

You sure? I know of 1 BA in the area and 3 standards. To bad they will probably never release the numbers

Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Standard Hobbit is by far the rarest in terms of quantity made.

#12 6 years ago

Standard is by far the rarest in quantity made; BA is next then Smaug and LE.

#13 6 years ago

Source?

Quoted from Pinballomatic:

Standard is by far the rarest in quantity made; BA is next then Smaug and LE.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

I'm considering my first JJP game and all 4 are appealing for one reason or another. TH has the lowest buy-in. Which version is the one to look for (Smaug, Black Arrow, Standard)? Are they all JJP 2.0 so it doesn't matter? I'm new to JJP so any advice would be appreciated.

Get the one called WoZ.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Get the one called WoZ.

I was going to say the same thing! I have Hobbit and really like it but I have to say WoZ is still my favorite JJP game

#16 6 years ago

I prefer the LE as the Smauf edition feels like Smaug overload to me. The Hobbit films are about a bunch of different characters and the LE represents that perfectly while Smaug is still front and center in the middle of the playfield and has his own toy.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

I was going to say the same thing! I have Hobbit and really like it but I have to say WoZ is still my favorite JJP game

Yep. For a first JJP experience, WoZ will give the best bang for the buck.

#18 6 years ago

the one that says Dialed in or Pirates on the backglass.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Make sure if you get one it has all the fixes

Please expand on the each issue please ?
Beast Pop ups mechs had an issue where the pinball would be stuck in mech as it lowered and caused playfield and mech damage . (I Think)
Would Like to confirm all issue and fixes?
Thanks

Hobbit Pinball (resized).JPGHobbit Pinball (resized).JPG

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Love Dialed In and looking forward to Pirates, but WoZ is an excellent choice, or maybe the best choice, for a first time JJP buyer. It's beautiful and has very mature and deep software that's fun from beginning to end.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from RobKnapp:

Please expand on the each issue please ?
Beast Pop ups mechs had an issue where the pinball would be stuck in mech as it lowered and caused playfield and mech damage . (I Think)
Would Like to confirm all issue and fixes?
Thanks

The fixes, that are now included on all new games, are the beast mech inserts to prevent balls from getting stuck, stronger springs for the drop targets, post to prevent balls from falling off far left rail (or updated rail on newer games) and the updated ramp flaps.

JJP sent fix kits out to owners, if they requested it, so if buying an earlier game just make sure these have been done. If the fixes have not been done they take a couple hours to do do minus the ramp flaps (rivets) which JJP will swap out for free (send in ramp).

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

or the the game that features one of the deepest objective based rulesets ever created with excellent use of licensed assets including actor audio, actor video, licensed music and over 30 custom tracks by the group Two Steps from Hell which also does work for major Hollywood movies?

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

or the the game that features one of the deepest objective based rulesets ever created with excellent use of licensed assets including actor audio, actor video, licensed music and over 30 custom tracks by the group Two Steps from Hell which also does work for major Hollywood movies?

but have to trade that for confusing rules and shitty layout. Gameplay and rules trump all.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

but have to trade that for confusing rules and shitty layout. Gameplay and rules trump all.

Will disagree with ya there. Layout is great / unique and the rules are easy to understand considering there's a mini LCD that tells you exactly what to hit, in addition to callouts, plus provides time remaining for modes.

Every modern layout doesn't need to be the same. Keiths brillant code work takes advantage of the layout and mechs in very unique ways. Plus the game is still getting codes.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

No one has a crystal ball

WOZ owners do......

#26 6 years ago

having deep rules is pointless, if the player isn't having fun or know what's going on. LOTR is so much more superior because it's good and letting the player (new or veteran to pinball) know what's happening and can see a progression to something. Things are easily laid out and in a way that is understandable. But has rules written so the casual player can do cool stuff, and plenty for the vets to experience for the long haul. Layout is pretty cookie cutter fan pattern, which is nothing too exciting, but at least the rules are written so a person can see objectives and is having enough fun to explore those objectives. This is where hobbit falls very flat. You can have the deepest rules in the world, but once you confuse the player, they are no longer invested or care about the journey.

#27 6 years ago

they all are good, woz, th, and dialed in. 5 yrs later and we're still getting updates on woz, can't say that about stern.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Go with an LE. There are 3 versions available, LE, Smaug LE, and Black Arrow. Smaug's came out first, so are older. Make sure if you get one it has all the fixes. LE and Black arrow LE have all the newer fixes because they came out later. Only other differences are aesthetics. Different decals, different armor (gold, copper, and black) Smaug has gold dragon instead of red, and Black arrow has black flipper buttons and a black ball to react with the Newton ball. Both black arrow and Smaug have a different animation sequence as part of the attract mode. I bought an LE because I liked the side art the best, prefer the copper tone powder coated armor (didn't like the gold and Black is kinda plain) and prefer the red dragon. Didn't care for the black ball (hard to see). Love mine and have never had a problem other than replaced a broken spring and some switch adjustments. Not bad for over 1,000 games played. I have mine at 7.0 degrees and it plays fast. Hope this helps. Love mine and at the current used prices would jump on an LE (of your choice) especially since there is prediction of a big code update coming this summer. Don't do a standard. LE gets you the barrel pops,invisiglass (yes, it's great) and shaker. Buy the ring button mod from Flip n Out pinball, worth it.

Thank you for breaking that down Crile1! Lots of good info and some funny stuff on these posts too. I appreciate the input.

#29 6 years ago

I opted for the LE as we preferred the art of all the characters on the machine. All models are stunning and play the same. Can't go wrong, only cosmetic preference.

#30 6 years ago

Smaug; best armor, extra video stuff - game kicks ass

#31 6 years ago

It’s all cosmetic differences, so get whatever looks best to you. I personally like the SE best, then BA, then LE in that order because...who likes looking at a nutsack chin on their game?

Quoted from Crile1:

Smaug's came out first, so are older. Make sure if you get one it has all the fixes. LE and Black arrow LE have all the newer fixes because they came out later.

100% False. LEs and SEs were manufactured at the exact same time frame. While the BA version did come out later with the fixes from the factory, ALL versions were shipped the “fix” kits free and ALL versions SHOULD have them installed at this point.

Get the one you think looks best.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

It’s all cosmetic differences, so get whatever looks best to you. I personally like the SE best, then BA, then LE in that order because...who likes looking at a nutsack chin on their game?

100% False. LEs and SEs were manufactured at the exact same time frame. While the BA version did come out later with the fixes from the factory, ALL versions were shipped the “fix” kits free and ALL versions SHOULD have them installed at this point.
Get the one you think looks best.

Having the beast popup fix kits installed already is a major plus. Those are a PAIN to install. That playfield is SUPER packed underneath.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Smaug; best armor, extra video stuff - game kicks ass

I've seen some good deals on Smaug. Does it have all the updated JJP stuff? Or is it more like a 1.0 version, if that makes any sense.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Having the beast popup fix kits installed already is a major plus. Those are a PAIN to install. That playfield is SUPER packed underneath.

Agreed.

Quoted from adii:

I've seen some good deals on Smaug. Does it have all the updated JJP stuff? Or is it more like a 1.0 version, if that makes any sense.

It should...mine does.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from adii:

Not all of them - the left wireform was slightly redesigned - some games needed it, some didn't (mine didn't). The right wireform almost ALWAYS needs to be tweaked a bit but was not redesigned (takes about 3 seconds to adjust if needed to avoid outlane drains off the wireform). The beast mechs were upgraded during the initial run of Smaug SE, but as was pointed out above, are MUST-haves. And a huge pain to install. There's a white plastic insert/spacer that is added. that's the main change - get one with those, you will never want to install those damn things.

Jack made a video about the upgrades, but the main thing is those mechs - it keeps balls from getting trapped under the mech, which is very important to avoid.

so anyway, you have to check the specific game you're buying. most should have it by now -

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not all of them - the left wireform was slightly redesigned - some games needed it, some didn't (mine didn't). The right wireform almost ALWAYS needs to be tweaked a bit but was not redesigned (takes about 3 seconds to adjust if needed to avoid outlane drains off the wireform). The beast mechs were upgraded during the initial run of Smaug SE, but as was pointed out above, are MUST-haves. And a huge pain to install. There's a white plastic insert/spacer that is added. that's the main change - get one with those, you will never want to install those damn things.
Jack made a video about the upgrades, but the main thing is those mechs - it keeps balls from getting trapped under the mech, which is very important to avoid. » YouTube video
so anyway, you have to check the specific game you're buying. most should have it by now -

Thanks!!!

#37 6 years ago

I got my Smaug in July 2016 - had all the updates. They didn't do all Smaug's first - and then the LEs. They built them in the order purchased. But they stopped making the Smaug's at the end of last year as far as I know.

I have the new ramp flaps, beast gap fixes, left ramp, etc. All good. So all the hobbits have all the updates after built in July 16, regardless if it is STD, LE, or SE.

#38 6 years ago

The sequel...

A723A3C7-5866-402F-AACA-4D9D1A9BEA55 (resized).jpegA723A3C7-5866-402F-AACA-4D9D1A9BEA55 (resized).jpeg

8134CCD7-B5B7-4D40-9F13-62C056E9C369 (resized).jpeg8134CCD7-B5B7-4D40-9F13-62C056E9C369 (resized).jpeg

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

The sequel...

Good pin

#40 6 years ago

I have the le really like it especially the characters on the cabinet.

Next choice for me would be black arrow. Anyway this is a great pin. Probably my favorite.

#41 6 years ago

I sold my TH a few months ago after getting through all the modes (we only have space for 3 pins, otherwise I'd never sell!!) . I bought a LOTR and have spent a lot of time perfecting it - scrubbing it down like crazy, adding Cliffys, the Pinbits protectors and ensuring the PF doesn't get jacked up, replacing plastics, everything. Anyway, but I've spent a while playing it, and I swear I think TH is more fun. LOTR is a very thorough game, the modes are hard, and it will take quite a while to master... but you can say the same thing about TH, and I think TH is a bit easier to have a quick game on. I always had fun even when I wiped out quickly.

#42 6 years ago

I was just making a fun poke. No derail intended.

#43 6 years ago

Pass, trust me. It’s no where near as good as the other JJP pins

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not all of them - the left wireform was slightly redesigned - some games needed it, some didn't (mine didn't).

Mine has a post on the siderail with the original wireform. It works pretty good but I have the odd ball jump out of the wireform into the outlanes. How important is it to actually get the new wireform instead? It's some serious coin to buy.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Hammerhead:

Mine has a post on the siderail with the original wireform. It works pretty good but I have the odd ball jump out of the wireform into the outlanes. How important is it to actually get the new wireform instead? It's some serious coin to buy.

Hard to say - it's $90 or something, right? I am not aware of an adjustment you can make (like the right wirefoem) so if it happens frequently, it's worth considering. I can tell you mine was not upgraded and it almost never happened, but every game is different...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Cedar City, UT
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
North Myrtle Beach, SC
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 25.50
9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Indianapolis, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-version-of-th-is-the-one-to-buy?hl=wesman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.