Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by The99Kid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Following the replacement of the entire flipper assembly, I made the mistake of adjusting the EOS stroke while the game was powered on, and inadvertently contacted the lane change switch and now column 5 switches don't work. All related coils work in coil test mode. Additionally, the A/C relay clicks on and off during the test, and all 'A' and all 'C' lamps/coils work in test mode.

So, I believe that i blew the transistor in position Q43. Thoughts?

If so, I've found conflicting info on what transistor should be used to replace the one at Q43.

2N3904 or 2N3906? Or something totally different? I can get these at RS so that would be nice if one of them was the right one...

Any advice is appreciated!

#2 8 years ago

You probably blew at least one of the switch matrix chips by sending solenoid voltage through it.

#3 8 years ago

Manual says 2N3904 for Q43. Same for later System 11 machines too. Where's the conflicting info coming from?

I'd check the resistors associated with Q43 and also U40 and U39.

#4 8 years ago

I'm not sure exactly what those are or where they are...1st pin, very new to them as well as electronics in general...great at mechanical stuff, electronics, I'm learning!

Does the fact that everything works in test mode except the switched tell me anything?

#5 8 years ago

Follow the wiring up the matrix column to the correct transistor.

I made a similar booboo swapping LEDs with power on. I knocked out column (6) on my JP, reading the schematics pointed me first to Q50 (NPN 2N3904) - was shorted on one of the legs to center, whereas the other nearby NPNs were not.

This was the issue, a quick swap fixed my issue & lesson learned. If that did not fix, I was going to look at the next component in the chain.

#6 8 years ago

Page 46 and 47 of your manual show the MPU and list what components are and where they are. Page 60 shows the schematics for the switch matrix. You can see what components are associated with Q43 and trace where the high voltage could have gone.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks all. I'll go by RS and grab some 2N3904 transistors and swap out Q43 first and see if that fixes it. If not, I'll keep moving up the chain!

The reason I asked which one was that on the Marco site, if I look at 'Millionaire' parts only, the only transistor listed is 2N3906, NOT 2N3904...but in several other threads, as in this one, it appears that I should use 2N3904.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 12.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-transistor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.