Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

NASCAR Diagram.png

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#52 5 years ago
Quoted from Det_Deckard:

Nascar. I thought I would hate it because of the theme but it is pretty good. I would get one if I got it at a good price. It seems like these always go for 2600+ or so. Maybe, outside of the south they go cheaper. It is a much better game than it gets credit for.
Something about RBION just doesn't work with me. Everything is there but it just doesn't feel like fun to me. It feels like chopping would to me. I hated my WPT until I started forcing myself to play it so maybe RBION is like that,too. I don't know.
Post edited by Det_Deckard

I totally get what you're saying, RBION is a players game. It's all about hitting the shots, not much for candy for non-pinheads. Not that you're not a pinhead, but RBION is not a relaxing to play game, it's all business.

#53 5 years ago

Not even close. RBION all day long.......

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I totally get what you're saying, RBION is a players game. It's all about hitting the shots, not much for candy for non-pinheads. Not that you're not a pinhead, but RBION is not a relaxing to play game, it's all business.

Sort of why I brought up WPT. WPT is a shooters game as well that I didn't like right away. RBION may be a great game but it doesn't have anything that grabs me, initially at least. Most of my collection I would consider to be players games, too: WPT, BSD, Shadow, and JD.

Post edited by Det_Deckard

#55 5 years ago

I have played RBIONS' that are dialed in and loved them and played ones that are not and have gotten annoyed by them. I figure why spend $2800+ for a game that may give you headaches in dialing it in if you can spend $1000 or so more for a HUO ST Pro, like I did, or MET or TSPP or IM etc. and have little or no problems and get a better and more fun all round game and get a better theme. Do not forget the theme.

NASCAR for $2000ish for one that works properly is a good deal that you will have fun with and you will get good value on.

I like them both, but do not like the $1000+ more for a 10 year old pin on RBION. If you noticed there are very few pins valued at $2500 - $3500. It is a good game, but seems like a pain to dial in and that is the reason why. Sorry, but true.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I have played RBIONS' that are dialed in and loved them and played ones that are not and have gotten annoyed by them. I figure why spend $2800+ for a game that may give you headaches in dialing it in if you can spend $1000 or so more for a HUO ST Pro, like I did, or MET or TSPP or IM etc. and have little or no problems and get a better and more fun all round game and get a better theme. Do not forget the theme.

I like them both, but do not like the $1000+ more for a 10 year old pin on RBION. If you noticed there are very few pins valued at $2500 - $3500. It is a good game, but seems like a pain to dial in and that is the reason why.

Jesus how many times can you drop "Dialing in" in one post? Seriously...How long does it take you to "Dial in" a machine, like a couple months or something? WTF?

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Both games are fun. But Ripleys has a ton more interesting shots and the upper flipper. Ripleys is very deep with a lot to do and hard to get to wizard modes. I've been to Atlantis only once. Both games are fast with good flow
Nascar is also fun but very easy. I get to wizard mode regularly. Last time someone brought one over, I got to wizard mode twice in one game. After that I didn't feel like playing Nascar for a long long time.
I actually miss my ripleys and might buy another one some day.

Can someone please explain to me how many objectives are fulfilled with that upper flipper in Ripley's? That's the one thing I really don't understand about the game. Outside of the SJP, and Penguin laps, what's it good for? I honestly haven't figured it out yet.

Also. Methinks that NASCAR you're playing is set up WAY too EZ. I got to Wizard mode on my new one the day it was delivered. Then I increased the pitch, waxed it, made the rules harder, etc, and now I don't even get a MB every game. Changes the game pretty dramatically.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Maybe looking strictly at Boston...but I haven't seen anything near what they are reporting...not that I know everything.

Ripley's was $2,500 all day and then it's inclusion in Pinball Arcade seemed to elevate it to around $3k and then the bubble made folks think it was worth $3,500. Both Ripley's and NASCAR should be around $2,500 in tip top shape IMO. I'll grant Ripley's a little more, I guess, for the BOM. And maybe NASCAR a little less because people don't like the theme. But in a world where people crave something a little different, both these games have something to offer. Especially in larger collections.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Nascar is horrible. I was bored after a few games.

Your ADD is not relevant here.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Jesus how many times can you drop "Dialing in" in one post? Seriously...How long does it take you to "Dial in" a machine, like a couple months or something? WTF?

You own RBION, does it ever give you any problems? You know more than a lot of us, including myself so let us know. I hope it is not as bad as I think because it is a fun game that I would look at buying.

NASCAR will have a problem every now and then but for $2000, which is what they sell for in Nascar country, here in GA it is easier to deal with a bump in the road at that price then a $3000+ pin.
Thanks

#61 5 years ago

I notice that my RBION requires an occasional adjustment of the shooter lane guide. That's about it.

#62 5 years ago

There is so much to do in RBION that I don't think you could go wrong with this title.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Can someone please explain to me how many objectives are fulfilled with that upper flipper in Ripley's? That's the one thing I really don't understand about the game. Outside of the SJP, and Penguin laps, what's it good for? I honestly haven't figured it out yet.
Also. Methinks that Nascar you're playing is set up WAY too EZ. I got to Wizard mode on my new one the day it was delivered. Then I increased the pitch, waxed it, made the rules harder, etc, and now I don't even get a MB every game. Changes the game pretty dramatically.

Upper right flipper..
1) Super jackpot - hugely important and a wizard mode from scoring all them +1.
2) Millions plus shot
3) A jackpot shot
4) Awards lit item above top rollovers
5) Bozo award shot
6) Tombstone hit shots
7) Possible to get a hit on the vari-target
8) Spinner hits

It's important, and plays into game strategy. Just like the scoop, awards during a mode are very valuable and shouldn't be ignored.

#64 5 years ago

I haven't played nascar, but I like rbion a lot, mainly for its depth and difficulty. I've owned over a year now and still play it a ton. I've really not had any issues with mine. Unlike some, I actually like the sounds and callouts.

Mine is for sale, but only to make room for a TZ I'm looking for, very similar layout, and, of course, both lawlor games.

#65 5 years ago

Was second owner of a HUO RBION and had only to adjust one switch and no other maintenance issues in 2 years of ownership. Just did the routine cleaning, changing balls, rubbers etc. to keep it ultra nice. Oh one thing, it did have some of the blue come off on the cabinet right near the flipper area. I believe this is common for these. It was very solid and a great game. Miss it but sold it and another pin to be able to buy one of my grail pins.

On the other hand, I played a horrible condition routed one once. The upper right flipper hardly worked and couldn't make the big points shots, many switches didn't work and the game was no fun. Just like any pin, condition is so important.

NASCAR is fun for me to play routed. I see them for sale a lot as one of the least expensive Sterns on the market. Because of that, I've been tempted to buy one. However, to me for some reason I've just never hard the itch so strong to go and buy one. In the game play which seems reasonably fun but somehow not quite fantastic to me, I just don't think it would stay at my house for a year. I only have room for 4 pins and am picky in what I buy because I like to keep them for 2 years or more. I've owned ES, NGG, RS, RBION, and FH, which are Lawlor pins.

I don't know if any of this helps the OP or any confuses things, but just my humble perspective.

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Hi
I am thinking of getting one of These.
What do you Think of more Fun and has the better rules/Deep ?
Opinions please
Thank you

Nascar is ok, but RBION is one of the best games out there. They are both fun to play. Nascar is easier for the casual players and if you like the theme, that's a bonus. RBION is very challenging and has a lot of depth. RBION has much more staying power IMHO.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Upper right flipper..
1) Super jackpot - hugely important and a wizard mode from scoring all them +1.
2) Millions plus shot
3) A jackpot shot
4) Awards lit item above top rollovers
5) Bozo award shot
6) Tombstone hit shots
7) Possible to get a hit on the vari-target
Spinner hits
It's important, and plays into game strategy. Just like the scoop, awards during a mode are very valuable and shouldn't be ignored.

Thanks. I guess I'll clarify: what do the two actual orbit shots count for?

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Thanks. I guess I'll clarify: what do the two actual orbit shots count for?

Need more clarification. Your first question was about the upper flipper and inner loop and now you're asking about the orbits. Three different shots, all very different.

Of the three shots, the left orbit is the least strategic and potentially the most lethal due to the feed out of the pops. It's a tight shot thru the pops. If your aim isn't good, the ball can rattle around in the pops, then dribble out SDTM.

On the other hand, the right orbit, upper flipper and inner loop are extremely strategic and useful in many ways. Besides the list above, they're also used advance the shrunken head (inner loop), advance bonus multiplier in the rollovers and to collect the penguin super jackpot.

The SJ's and the penguin super are two of the coolest shots ever in pinball. I know its not the first two part shot in pinball, but the way it's done with the up post slowly feeding the upper flipper is perfect. The light/sound/dot show the game awards you for making the super is like icing on the cake. Killer shot worth big points with an epic show for making it. What more could a player ask for?

I enjoy both games, but Ripley's is 10x better than Nascar. In the home, Ripley's depth will keep you coming back for more for years. An anchor game from Stern. Go figure.

#69 5 years ago

One important use of the upper flipper is to re-scramble the temple ABC letters. If you are trying to complete a certain row in the grid(i.e. 2x playfield, light extra ball, etc), you can shoot the SJP shot when it is not lit for anything and it will scramble the temple to possibly get the letter/number you are looking for.

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

One important use of the upper flipper is to re-scramble the temple ABC letters. If you are trying to complete a certain row in the grid(i.e. 2x playfield, light extra ball, etc), you can shoot the SJP shot when it is not lit for anything and it will scramble the temple to possibly get the letter/number you are looking for.

Right, which is one of the awards on the backboard above the top lanes.

There is a lot of strategy for what you want when in RBION. A lot of interesting scoring strategies. My favorite so far was setting up 2x playfield, finishing the continents and doubling that total award, AND nailing the super jackpot for 6x2 as well. Very lucrative!

#71 5 years ago

RBION for me.
I have played Nascar and had fun but most of that is the laps the ball does around the PF.

Guess it might come down to theme as both of these have followings and people who dislike based on theme alone.

RBION has way more shots and depth.

#72 5 years ago

Very helpful explanations on the upper flipper main shots. Thanks! On location I can never tell what is happening a lot of times, plus there seems to be no feed to the upper roll overs either, which must be a glitch on these location games.

Hell, maybe I'll get one! I'm on a Lawlor roll lately, even having enjoyed Monopoly and RCT on location lately.

#73 5 years ago

Nascar is ok
Ripley's is quite decent

I route a Nascar and really wonder how well a Ripley's would do...

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Nascar is ok
Ripley's is quite decent
I route a Nascar and really wonder how well a Ripley's would do...

Not sure if ok > quite decent or whether quite decent > ok.

Regardless, I've owned RBION for 10 years now and it's a great game. I've played NASCAR a few times and enjoyed it also.

As for "dialing it in", I've never had to dial in my RBION. I did need to adjust the shooter lane so it hits the upper left orbit once. Also, a wire broke off one of the pops once. Otherwise, it has been sturdy like a rock and playing great.

Given the choice, I'd pick RBION. But I'd also be happy to add NASCAR to my lineup...

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

You own RBION, does it ever give you any problems?

Naw. The only issues I've had are scoop switches needing to be adjusted...so no big deal there.

#76 5 years ago

This thread seems ripe for a poll.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yep, not much to do in Nascar.

NASCAR Diagram.png 179 KB

very cool mindmap. what software you use for making those?

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Ika:

very cool mindmap. what software you use for making those?

I've been using FreeMind, but one of my co-workers turned me on to XMind, and I plan to switch to that. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a standard file format.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Mccordsville, IN
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
Boards
PinSound
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside