Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Audioenslaved.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Definitely TMNT for me. Yes, it is fast and a can be mean, but it has so much flow and is so very satisfying to shoot. The code is amazing, lots of diverse modes broken up with many side goals, plus a ton of different game types to try out (co-op, wizard mode challenge, a speed run challenge, etc). So many ways to play. I really love the game, and I might currently call it my favorite of all time. Definitely top 5 at worst. There are only a few things I would change. The animations could be better. I do not dislike them, but most of them aren't amazing. April stands out as the worst, but on the flip side there are some that are really nicely done. I would say this is probably the weakest aspect of the game though. I'm also not in love with pizza eating contest button mash mode. It's ok, and I like the risk/reward of taking your hands off the flippers with the ball in play, but...ehh. I wasn't in love with it on SW and I'm less in love with it here. Those are minor criticisms though in the scheme of things, and do not hurt my enjoyment of the game at all. It can be a punishing game when you are off, but when you are on...man I can't think of a game that feels better. Bust out a perfect 1-2-3 Foot Combo and tell me that doesn't feel amazing. Makes me smile just thinking about it!
JP is a good game, and obviously one of the recent "golden boys" around here. It is a more unique shooter with a very deep and unique ruleset, but I do not find it nearly as satisfying of a game, both layout and code-wise. The paddocks, which are the main focus of the game, get repetitive and are not all that exciting. However, the other aspects, such as T-Rex modes, Control Room modes, multiballs, etc, are much better. T-Rex modes especially are awesome. If the paddocks were half as fun as the T-Rex modes, it would be a heck of a game. Unfortunately they are pretty flat by comparison. I like that you can choose your path through the paddocks, and earn different rewards. It's nice that the dinosaurs act differently, and the difficulty ramps up in a clever way by having to set more traps, calling in the helicopter, etc. But in the end, even with those differences they just sort of feel the same after awhile. The shots are diverse and unique, but not the best "feeling", especially compared to a game like TMNT. It's also a very hard shooter, and if you aren't hitting the shots cleanly, it can feel super clunky. As for the art and A/V assets...I like them quite a bit. I actually like that it isn't movie based, but rather an extension of that world. Going back to the "boring" paddocks, I find the default "truck view" screen to not be great, but I really love some of the other animations. The ankylosaurus batting the ball back into play for a ball save is a favorite, and others similar are all great. Very well done by the animators.
JP is a tough one for me as I had a super strong honeymoon period with mine, but fell out of love quick and sold it after about 6 months. Yes, I got through the bulk of the game (never got to Nublar in-game, but had done everything needed to get there multiple times, just not all together), so it wasn't a matter of needing to play better to see the cool stuff. However, I have found myself missing it some lately and wondering if I gave up on it too soon. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with another one someday, but I would never give up TMNT for it. Honestly, just talking about it here feels like I'm talking myself into giving it a second chance, LOL!
Sorry for the long ramble. In the end, both are great games. JP gets more love in general, but I am definitely on team TMNT. As always, buy what makes you happier! If truly torn between them, just go with whichever one is easier to get your hands on now, and add the other when budget allows. Both will be pretty big runners I think, but with the popularity of JP, I am guessing they will be a little easier to get into the future. If stuck on NIB only, I might lean towards TMNT now. We know there will be another JP run in spring/summer. Not positive there will be another TMNT run or not. And if you buy one and feel it was the wrong choice, both should be easy to sell or trade for the other. That is one of the best things about this hobby. You are rarely stuck with what you buy and in most cases do not lose a ton money, even if buying new. Good luck!

Totally agree here. I bought tmnt because I love Borg games. I bought a LE because well living in Australia and a 3-4 month wait I just couldn’t be bothered. I think a tmnt pro is an equally as good a buy as prem or Le in terms of gameplay.

I prefer tmnt over JP because I feel like it’s the better shooter of the two. There’s a little too much clunk in JP2 for me. Tmnt is just pure flow for me with just the right amount of stop thrown in there. Eg lair and pizza shots. Shooting the centre ramp and upper loop is ALWAYS satisfying actually I would hazard to say that all shots on tmnt are satisfying. Unfortunately more often than not I feel frustrated with jp2 and how it shoots. I’m forever missing shots and the tower shot is quite frustrating.

Tmnt code is fantastic. 8 different main modes. A fantastic mid way mode in team up. Lair progression is awesome to level up your turtle. Levelling up your turtle is a great idea and gives you another risk reward element. 1-2-3 foot is a super fun combo mode. I like the mash the button pizza eating mode. I’ve gotten close to final battle a couple of times but never been there and consequently on those games too I would’ve been close to cowabunga. Scoring is a unbalanced with Pizza multiball and the octopus topping (switch frenzy) you can easily rack up 20m with a halfway decent combo. But for me that’s the worst part of turtles.

JP2 code is also fantastic but as stated before the meat of the game is a little flat for me. The trex modes, chaos, raptor multi balls are AWESOME on the other hand! Which has me kind of torn on this game as I really love the things I love and everything else is kind of mediocre. Like AIQ it’s got everything to be AMAZING but something just make it fall flat. I don’t know what and I’ve thought about it but something just doesn’t do it for me.

Either way you fall both are fantastic games. JP2 or tmnt you’re winning

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

JP2 can be a ball buster but so rewarding and flows nicely if your on target. If you are off or just want to flip away this JP will eat you alive.

100% you’ve got to be in target and it flows great. You’re slightly off and you’re F’d... I do enjoy JP2

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

Well I have to say this thread has yet to give a definitive answer to my question. I guess that is because it truly is a tough choice. Each game is awesome in its own right.

I think for me it would have to be how good a player you are. I’m not a world beater but I’m not terrible. I tend to get to the finals of most events I go to and tend to finish well. But JP2 if you’re not on it’s a serious brick fest and that really annoys me. You HAVE to hit the shot 100% of the time on 90% of the shots on the game. And that’s where the fault lies in the game for me apart from the meat of the game feeling a little flat (it’s still fun but feels flat). You can not be slightly off with a shot and make it. You have to be dead on all the time. Tmnt you can be slightly off on a shot and still make it.

JP2 does flow well if you’re hitting your shots now doubt about it but it’s just a matter of how often you’re on or off. JP2 does have some PHENOMENAL moment in it with the trex modes, chaos multiball and maybe raptor multiball (I remember it being good to great). I’m pretty sure I’d like a JP2 in the collection just to try to get through it but I’m not sure it’d have the staying power though or how fking frustrated I’d get with the game and sell it in a fit of rage.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Terre Haute, IN
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 22.00
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 290.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.00
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Waxhaw, NC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Audioenslaved.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-to-buy-jp-or-tmnt?tu=Audioenslaved and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.