Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jawjaw
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from Audioenslaved:

Either way you fall both are fantastic games. JP2 or tmnt you’re winning

That's the truth. Went to my local pinball shop yesterday and played all the new Sterns and I kept coming back to JP and TMNT. They both play great, although I think the shots on TMNT are a bit more friendly and the ninja pizza multiball with the spinning disc in the middle of the playfield is pretty cool. I did like the aesthetic of JP more looking at it in person, and was really surprised that I like the newton ball feature as much as I did, as it doesn't look that cool on videos. At this point I'm going to have to flip a coin when my bonus comes in, as they are both great.

I did get to compare to GOTG, which is a good game, but I think the shots are too tight for my liking, and Avengers which I was surprised I didn't like more. The game play is good and I like the banana ramp, but the code was a let down for me and the art is just OK in my opinion. I tried Beetles and Zeppelin. Both have good music tie ins, and I found the use of the old Trident SeaWitch (thanks Dave) layout on beetles gave it instant nostalgia feel, but I'm in the market for a few more bells and whistles and some wow factor that it just didn't have. Zeppelin was fast, but that seemed like all it had. Everything is way at the back of the playfield with not a lot to do, and it just didn't hold my attention for more than a single game. I only wished that I was able to check out a deadpool, but they are on back order at the moment.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I found the use of the old Trident layout on beetles gave it instant nostalgia feel

Seabitch

#53 3 years ago

JP for sure!! This article gives a perfect comparison that can help you make a more informed choice https://gametablesguide.com/best-tabletop-pinball-machine/#more-1625

#54 3 years ago

turtles is funner. JP is harder, but fun as hell if you are a really good player. turtles is way better if your skill level is average. art is way better on turtles too, as well as sound package and animations, plus all those ramps!!!

#55 3 years ago

For me, you can't own a JP without the moving T-rex.

And the movie/ sound clip retrofit changes the feel of the game entirely.

- If you cant up your budget for a premium i'd get Stranger things pro! (turtles pro is fun too)

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Purdue:

For me, you can't own a JP without the moving T-rex.
And the movie/ sound clip retrofit changes the feel of the game entirely.
- If you cant up your budget for a premium i'd get Stranger things pro! (turtles pro is fun too)

While I agree a moving T-rex is awesome, is it 2K more awesome? I know you can now have the movie/sound clips retrofit changes to the JP2 Pro model. Seriously I don't know, is it 2K more awesome?

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

While I agree a moving T-rex is awesome, is it 2K more awesome? I know you can now have the movie/sound clips retrofit changes to the JP2 Pro model. Seriously I don't know, is it 2K more awesome?

Ya i agree, but in fairness there is more than just the t-rex. Raptor lock adds a dimension of play also.

I was just saying i’d pick a premium (actually i picked an Le, so i’m the ultimate sucker) or choose a different title in pro.

I’d always be thinking about that T-rex and raptor lock not being there.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

I'm a Pro guy. I pretty much always lean towards the Pro games. However, is it 2K more awesome to have the T-Rex? Yeah. And that was Stern's intention. They always try to make that one thing to make you open your wallet a bit wider.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

Yes.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I'm a Pro guy. I pretty much always lean towards the Pro games. However, is it 2K more awesome to have the T-Rex? Yeah. And that was Stern's intention....

For me it would more be the paddock area, which for me is the downfall of the Pro.

#61 3 years ago

I was considering the same (but with Premium editions) and I ended up getting Turtles based on theme and Co-op play. It is a challenging, fast, fun game. I still really want a JP2 Prem and may get rid of GB or BM66 to make room for it.

#62 3 years ago

Well I have to say this thread has yet to give a definitive answer to my question. I guess that is because it truly is a tough choice. Each game is awesome in its own right.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

Well I have to say this thread has yet to give a definitive answer to my question. I guess that is because it truly is a tough choice. Each game is awesome in its own right.

I think for me it would have to be how good a player you are. I’m not a world beater but I’m not terrible. I tend to get to the finals of most events I go to and tend to finish well. But JP2 if you’re not on it’s a serious brick fest and that really annoys me. You HAVE to hit the shot 100% of the time on 90% of the shots on the game. And that’s where the fault lies in the game for me apart from the meat of the game feeling a little flat (it’s still fun but feels flat). You can not be slightly off with a shot and make it. You have to be dead on all the time. Tmnt you can be slightly off on a shot and still make it.

JP2 does flow well if you’re hitting your shots now doubt about it but it’s just a matter of how often you’re on or off. JP2 does have some PHENOMENAL moment in it with the trex modes, chaos multiball and maybe raptor multiball (I remember it being good to great). I’m pretty sure I’d like a JP2 in the collection just to try to get through it but I’m not sure it’d have the staying power though or how fking frustrated I’d get with the game and sell it in a fit of rage.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from Heavyk:

Actually if you are reading the answers, it is running about 2 to 1 in favor of JP. I'm not saying twice the number of recommendations is definitive, but if it was me asking this question, I'd consider it definitively answered. Of course I'm sure a definitive answer like this will bring out the turtle squad to disagree.

2 weeks later
#65 3 years ago

“Teenage mutant ninja turtles” in my best sing song voice vs John Williams orchestra music and screaming dinosaurs of different varieties. JP2 is a must own. You may be one of the few to part but for a home environment it is the bees knees. Heck. It recently got my wife playing and she NEVER plays. Now she’s out there before and/or after dinner.

#66 3 years ago

You can’t go wrong with either. I think for you it just comes down to your personal preferences on the game and which theme you gravitate towards more. Jp is the easier/safer pick. I grew up with the turtles so the kid in me just couldn’t say no. Gorgeous game If you like the theme, but some people play at my house and are deterred by how hard it is. Got to be on point with your play in turtles or your score could be tiny. Jurassic park is harder to find and probably has the better resell value. Good luck on your search and keep on flipping!

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Just because the primary goal is to work through the paddocks, that doesn’t make the rule set linear on JP. In fact, there are so many different things to do and go after, it is difficult to fully understand everything possible. For me, this brings all kinds of variety to the experience each time I play.

100% agree. We have had JP2 for a year and a half and it is the most consistently played game. Clearing the paddocks is one aspect of the game, but there are lots of options for non-linear play.

#68 3 years ago

I applaud stern for the effort they put into the animations for JP2 but to me the whole presentation lacks personality and falls totally flat. It’s boring to play. And no, The home brew movie code does nothing because the entire game was built around a concept separated from the movies, it just feels like random out of place movie clips baked in. JP2 just isn’t the total package for me. Innovative layout, awesome feeling shots (if you can hit them), interesting code. I do think the code is very repetitive in the start of the game so you don’t see much new unless you’re having a killer game. All the paddocks feel the same, the control room modes are all the same- I’m in a closet moving a switch, the callouts are flat out terrible, the raptor multiball music is unbearable. The T-Rex modes are good. Combined with the lack of assets it’s just a B- game for me. That being said, I do miss shooting it...

Right now I think only a few stern games earn the “total package” status for me. Star Wars, Deadpool, Elvira, BM66, and Maiden. I’m on the edge on TNMT, I need to spend more time with it. Right now I detest the animations and am not sure about the call outs and music, they seem sub par.

All of the above is of course, just my own personal opinion at the moment... and is subject to change.

#69 3 years ago

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. I was trying to decide between a JP and a TMNT and ended up finding a package deal for both. I figured I'd play them both for a bit and then keep one and sell the other. Well, 2 months later and I still can't decide, they are both still here. They are both really good, TMNT does seem to have room for improvement on the code side though. However, to me, the benchmark for a modern Stern is Iron Maiden, and neither are quite there.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from skywelker:

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here. I was trying to decide between a JP2 and a TMNT and ended up finding a package deal for both. I figured I'd play them both for a bit and then keep one and sell the other. Well, 2 months later and I still can't decide, they are both still here. They are both really good, TMNT does seem to have room for improvement on the code side though. However, to me, the benchmark for a modern Stern is Iron Maiden, and neither are quite there.

For clarity I do only have the Pro version of each. The only thing I really personally miss from the premiums is the raptor pen.

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Never played turtles but while I found the layout of JP to be masterful the code structure and theme left a lot to be desired. The code is very linear and repetitive unless you have a 30+ minute ball. While I applaud stern for the quality of the animations it’s just a boring theme with practically zero call outs.

Hold on to your butts

#72 3 years ago

Jurassic Park is my current favorite game, and it's because each game I feel like it's not unachievable to get to the wizard mode. Most games I usually make it through a few paddocks, and through a few trex modes and a few control room modes where I don't feel like I'm THAT far away, but I can't put a game together where I get through all of them. Heck, I'm 1,500 plays in and still haven't seen museum mayhem (granted I rarely try for trex shots).

As far as people finding the paddocks repetitive, venture into the TRex Paddock, that mode never gets old as it moves so damn fast and has an extra ball on the line. Capturing him (or trying) never gets boring to me.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from palmab03:

Jurassic Park is my current favorite game, and it's because each game I feel like it's not unachievable to get to the wizard mode.

To me, that is the sign of great game rules. I played Tron year after year thinking the same thing. I can do each part, just put them all together in one game. LOTR had that feeling too, just put it all together.

#74 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Definitely TMNT for me. Yes, it is fast and a can be mean, but it has so much flow and is so very satisfying to shoot. The code is amazing, lots of diverse modes broken up with many side goals, plus a ton of different game types to try out (co-op, wizard mode challenge, a speed run challenge, etc). So many ways to play. I really love the game, and I might currently call it my favorite of all time. Definitely top 5 at worst. There are only a few things I would change. The animations could be better. I do not dislike them, but most of them aren't amazing. April stands out as the worst, but on the flip side there are some that are really nicely done. I would say this is probably the weakest aspect of the game though. I'm also not in love with pizza eating contest button mash mode. It's ok, and I like the risk/reward of taking your hands off the flippers with the ball in play, but...ehh. I wasn't in love with it on SW and I'm less in love with it here. Those are minor criticisms though in the scheme of things, and do not hurt my enjoyment of the game at all. It can be a punishing game when you are off, but when you are on...man I can't think of a game that feels better. Bust out a perfect 1-2-3 Foot Combo and tell me that doesn't feel amazing. Makes me smile just thinking about it!
JP is a good game, and obviously one of the recent "golden boys" around here. It is a more unique shooter with a very deep and unique ruleset, but I do not find it nearly as satisfying of a game, both layout and code-wise. The paddocks, which are the main focus of the game, get repetitive and are not all that exciting. However, the other aspects, such as T-Rex modes, Control Room modes, multiballs, etc, are much better. T-Rex modes especially are awesome. If the paddocks were half as fun as the T-Rex modes, it would be a heck of a game. Unfortunately they are pretty flat by comparison. I like that you can choose your path through the paddocks, and earn different rewards. It's nice that the dinosaurs act differently, and the difficulty ramps up in a clever way by having to set more traps, calling in the helicopter, etc. But in the end, even with those differences they just sort of feel the same after awhile. The shots are diverse and unique, but not the best "feeling", especially compared to a game like TMNT. It's also a very hard shooter, and if you aren't hitting the shots cleanly, it can feel super clunky. As for the art and A/V assets...I like them quite a bit. I actually like that it isn't movie based, but rather an extension of that world. Going back to the "boring" paddocks, I find the default "truck view" screen to not be great, but I really love some of the other animations. The ankylosaurus batting the ball back into play for a ball save is a favorite, and others similar are all great. Very well done by the animators.
JP is a tough one for me as I had a super strong honeymoon period with mine, but fell out of love quick and sold it after about 6 months. Yes, I got through the bulk of the game (never got to Nublar in-game, but had done everything needed to get there multiple times, just not all together), so it wasn't a matter of needing to play better to see the cool stuff. However, I have found myself missing it some lately and wondering if I gave up on it too soon. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up with another one someday, but I would never give up TMNT for it. Honestly, just talking about it here feels like I'm talking myself into giving it a second chance, LOL!
Sorry for the long ramble. In the end, both are great games. JP gets more love in general, but I am definitely on team TMNT. As always, buy what makes you happier! If truly torn between them, just go with whichever one is easier to get your hands on now, and add the other when budget allows. Both will be pretty big runners I think, but with the popularity of JP, I am guessing they will be a little easier to get into the future. If stuck on NIB only, I might lean towards TMNT now. We know there will be another JP run in spring/summer. Not positive there will be another TMNT run or not. And if you buy one and feel it was the wrong choice, both should be easy to sell or trade for the other. That is one of the best things about this hobby. You are rarely stuck with what you buy and in most cases do not lose a ton money, even if buying new. Good luck!

Just had to reply to myself here, especially the line "Honestly, just talking about it here feels like I'm talking myself into giving it a second chance, LOL!". Well guess what. Not even three weeks after posting this, JP is back in the house, LOL! I am definitely re-honeymooning with it, and questioning why I left it go in the first place. Yes, I still think paddocks are a bit of a slog, but lately I have been focusing more on keeping a good rescue streak and even trying for perfect paddocks and that has kept my interest higher. T-Rex modes are heart pumpers...maybe some of the best modes in pinball. Love em.

I have stated that JP isn't a very satisfying shooter. I was wrong (and honestly trying to help justify letting it go). It is a difficult shooter for sure, and if you miss it can feel clunky. But when you are on and hitting them, it's pretty awesome. Very unique shots. I think part of my problem is it isn't the style of playfield I usually gravitate towards. I generally like tons of flow, easier shots, Steve Ritchie/John Borg style. JP is much more of a sharp-shooter game. The flow and combos for miles are there, but it takes real skill to hit them. And honestly, what other game can make a single stand-up target feel more satisfying to hit than the smart missile when lit. So sweet.

All that said, I would still say TMNT is better for me. It still hits all the sweet spots in code, layout, art, theme, etc. The layout is more satisfying overall for my play preference. It is easier to shoot than JP, but more dangerous if you miss, if that makes sense. JP has harder shots but isn't quite as punishing for missing them (though that is where it can feel more clunky). Very different code structures, so hard to compare, but I find TMNT a bit more fun overall as it doesn't have the repetitiveness that the JP paddocks do.

Anyway, I just thought a quick update was in order since I mentioned talking myself back into JP, and that's exactly what happened.

1 month later
#75 3 years ago

I went to my local pinball shop a few times, and played both for hours (also dead pool) and walked away with TMNT Pro. It feels like the best bang for the buck of the pro models.

#76 3 years ago

HUGE bang for the buck. Fast and fun as hell and it's a beautiful pin.

#77 3 years ago

I finally had a chance to play TMNT a little while back. Pro didn't feel like it was missing anything and fun to shoot. I enjoyed playing it more than any other recent Stern which was kind of annoying. I wanted to hate it since I don't care for the theme.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ballston Spa, NY
$ 3.49
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 7,000.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Sherrill, NY
$ 22.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

€ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Oakhurst, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-to-buy-jp-or-tmnt/page/2?hl=heavyk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.