(Topic ID: 57527)

Which titles have a TRAGICALLY bad theme?

By nosro

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 159 posts
  • 81 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PhilGreg
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aZPxrj3_460sa.gif
image-1.jpg
image-7.jpg
Backglass.jpg
coronation.jpg
Raven.jpg
image-1.jpg
image-3.jpg
image-3.jpg
Fashion_Show.jpg
GIF1-1.gif
Office_STEVE_CARELL_240x260_0816200709.jpg
images.jpeg
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from navajas:

Monster Bash, Party Monsters and Tales from the Crypt.
Not a big fan of goofy ass camp.

...says the guy with a Space Shuttle...

But seriously, love that game, the pop x drops are brilliant!

#52 10 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

LOL.... STTNG is like Star Wars' ugly red head step child...but without the Shatner coolness that the original had

Shatner is a hack, but a lovable one. And he has certainly learned to use his innate hammy bravado to his favor. But let’s be real: in terms of charisma, acting talent, and indeed raw human awesomeness, Sir Patrick Stewart is ten times the man.

Exhibit A: (TV) (Picard owns Tomalok)

Exhibit B: (real life) (Patrick Stewart answers a question from a domestic abuse survivor, speaking eloquently and sweetly about his own experience with domestic abuse growing up, and they share a moment at the end)

Anyway, to your broader point: It shows a fundamental ignorance of both franchises to even frame them as comparable -- Star Wars and Star Trek don't have much in common. they both involve space ships, and that's about it. Star Trek may not be “hard” science fiction in some peoples’ opinions, but Star Wars is not remotely sci-fi by even the loosest standards. it's a fantasy epic for little kids who are too young (and adults who are too dim) to understand they're being shoveled meaningless hokum dressed up as some kind of epic tale. it's a swords and sorcery tale about a royal family. it's the man-child’s equivalent of little girls devouring tales of growing up to be fairy princesses.

mostly, though, i am just excruciatingly embarrassed for anyone that mistakes Yoda's nonsensical platitudes for profundity.

What's worse is the truly idiotic subtext. maybe it's just inherent to the form, or maybe George Lucas really is a dangerous a-hole (on top of being a moronic filmmaker), but at every opportunity, the Star Wars trilogy goes out of its way to champion some really ugly ideals: Only a tiny handful are born into divinity (the force), and through that innate right, are morally justified in ruling. the answer to the problems in this galaxy is always more violence. good guys are all attractive. bad guys are the ugly and disfigured. every character and dilemma is framed in a childish black and white, good or evil light. well-justified perfectly human emotions must be repressed and ignored. the result is not merely an awful model for meaningful storytelling – it’s downright repugnant in its lame authoritarian anti-humanism.
I’m not crazy and I’m not the first to notice this. David Brin and others have been pointing this stuff out for years.
http://www.salon.com/1999/06/15/brin_main/
http://autotelic.com/star_wars_-_force_and_state
I could go on. Here is an interesting one, actually:
http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/video/critics-spar-over-star-wars-trilogy-on-1983-nightline-episode-18344732
it’s from 1983. Roger Ebert and John Simon sparring on television. Simon rightly points out that the characters are shallow, the story is pat, and the values are childish. Ebert’s main rebuttal is that it’s for kids, and the kids seem to like it. A fair point. But I don’t think he’d be so quick to defend the thing if he could have seen into the dark future and witnessed a theatre filled with adults cheering on every dumb explosion and dimly muddling over each idiotic Jedi tenet as if it were a real philosophy or religion.

Granted my criticisms are aimed at the original trilogy. but let’s not bring the prequels into this – that’s a whole other sarlac pit of complete failure, isn’t it?

Ahh, but now alas it’s time to go get tacos. I’d planned to contrast all of Star Wars’ garbage with Star Trek, but I simply haven’t the time tonight. This got a bit out of hand I admit. Maybe part two tomorrow, hmm?

#53 10 years ago

Demo Man!!!!!!!!! Close down the thread, nothing left to be said!

#54 10 years ago
Quoted from Spybryon:

Police Force. Should have been Batman.

Police Force is still a good party game (and tournament if you set the menu right), but I agree, would have been better as batman. I don't think the theme really distracts as much as others...

#55 10 years ago

I would say Austin Powers. Although I enjoy the theme, I just don't enjoy the theme in a pinball setting.

#56 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Thanks for the credit, but I can't take it.

Vid must have him on ignore, when are we getting the douchebag meters?

#57 10 years ago

Of course, leave it to me to mention the oldest pin so far: 1982. You young whipper (flipper?) snappers!

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Vid must have him on ignore, when are we getting the douchebag meters?

I don't mind being on ignore, but Im not so sure Ive earned enough scorn to get a douchebag meter. Should I check my mail?

#59 10 years ago

Baywatch, Ripley's, Last Action Hero, Flintstones, Congo, Johnny Mnemonic, Demolition Man, WWF Royal Rumble

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from sammiesguys:

I don't mind being on ignore, but Im not so sure Ive earned enough scorn to get a douchebag meter. Should I check my mail?

If Robin wants to test out the douchbag meter, I volunteer my account as a test probe.

#61 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

...says the guy with a Space Shuttle...
But seriously, love that game, the pop x drops are brilliant!

What is camp about Space Shuttle?

#62 10 years ago

First thing I thought of was Hardbody. It really is amazingly terrible in the flesh.

#63 10 years ago

Oh, come on...NOTHING beats some of the tragically awful themes of the early days.

You think people whine about Super Hero themes now? Imagine if something like "Fashion Show" was announced today, by Stern.

Pete

Fashion_Show.jpgFashion_Show.jpg

#64 10 years ago

Big hurt
Shaq attack
Who dunnit
Roy Clark entertainer (sorry, Mike)

#65 10 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Big Hurt
Shaq attack

Fine, you aren't a sports fan...but those aren't bad themes for the time.

Now that's just crazy talk. LOVE that game, and the theme. Heck, the theme is the best part about it....totally kick-butt Peter Gunn soundtrack, and a "solve the murder mystery" angle that CSI missed out on.

Wow...

#66 10 years ago

- wof
- woz

#67 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Oh, come on...NOTHING beats some of the tragically awful themes of the early days.
You think people whine about Super Hero themes now? Imagine if something like "Fashion Show" was announced today, by Stern.
Pete

Finally, someone posts about an EM. Thank goodness! But, how does it play?

#68 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

davewth said:

Big Hurt
Shaq attack

Fine, you aren't a sports fan...but those aren't bad themes for the time.

Wrong, in fact i am a huge Shaq & Lakers fan (although i realize that game isn't laker themed). I think your key word is "for the time", i was thinking it hasn't aged well. Same goes for Frank Thomas as i don't find his celebrity timeless.

Quoted from pmWolf:

davewth said:

WHO dunnit

Now that's just crazy talk. LOVE that game, and the theme. Heck, the theme is the best part about it....totally kick-butt Peter Gunn soundtrack, and a "solve the murder mystery" angle that CSI missed out on.

I just hate that game and maybe i'm letting that influence my decision about the theme. Oursler is my favorite designer, too. Weird.

#69 10 years ago

My vote is for Police Force (anthropomorphic cops? ugh) or any of the Disco-themed games, of which ipdb.org lists: Disco, Disco '79, Disco Dancing, Disco Fever, Discotek, and Roller Disco.

"I feel the same way about disco as I do about herpes." -- Hunter S. Thompson

Edit: Ouch, I just looked up those disco games in ipdb, and the Roller Disco backglass is truly eye-burning: http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2005&picno=8453&zoom=1

#70 10 years ago

Not my favorite "theme".

image-3.jpgimage-3.jpg

#71 10 years ago

A theme based on eating outdoors - with a hobo.

image-3.jpgimage-3.jpg

#72 10 years ago

teenage mutant ninja turtles

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

Edit: Ouch, I just looked up those disco games in ipdb, and the Roller Disco backglass is truly eye-burning: http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2005&picno=8453&zoom=1

I see side boob

#74 10 years ago

Okay....I'm going to step in and defend JM.

Horrible movie.....yes. But the theme itself (and even the book) are not bad at all.

The movie really hurt it, but I actually kind of like the theme (not as much as if it were a MATRIX pin!) and the pin itself is a great machine.....great, not good.

#75 10 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

A theme based on eating outdoors - with a hobo.

Wow. That one is bad. The hobo looks like he is going to commit some serious crimes against those unsuspecting picnickers.

Edit: And I didn't even see the teddy bear. That thing looks like a creepy horror film prop with blood in its eyes and mouth.

#76 10 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

Is the woman on the left actually blue skinned? I'm all for diversity, but come on. image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Imagine if something like "Fashion Show" was announced today, by Stern.

Oh, I don't know. How about "Victoria's Secret Fashion Show" by Stern.

I think I'm supposed to make some comment about "hitting it" at this point.

#78 10 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Oh, I don't know. How about "Victoria's Secret Fashion Show" by Stern.

Love the pop bumpers...and the skill shot requires just the right finesse with the plunger to shooting the scoop

#79 10 years ago

Flintstones........ I'm convinced if the pin was an alternate theme, it would be a $3K game...great pin, terrible theme.

#80 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

(not as much as if it were a MATRIX pin!)

// Error: Image 57216 not found //

#81 10 years ago

There already is.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That is ok, I know people that would say ACDC and Metallica.

Sure that's true, but that's true for every pin ever released in history.

The point is that there are MANY more people who will say that WOZ is a terrible theme compared to AC/DC or Metallica.

#83 10 years ago
Quoted from pmWolf:

Pete

Gay Cruise...........beat!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brancusi/181661358/

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

Horrible movie.....yes. But the theme itself (and even the book) are not bad at all.
The movie really hurt it, but I actually kind of like the theme (not as much as if it were a MATRIX pin!) and the pin itself is a great machine.....great, not good.

I agree, and I feel the same way (to a lesser extent though) about Demo Man.

#85 10 years ago

From a theme standpoint anything 80's and prior has a fairly good chance of a WTF response. Some of them are so off the wall that they're almost cool...Future Spa?

However my first thought was Waterworld. I disliked the movie that much, though the game itself is kind of fun.

#86 10 years ago

JM, Baywatch and Congo all fun games but theme takes away from them IMHO.

Well congo theme is fine if you have not recently watched the movie.

#87 10 years ago

I added Laser War to the list. Could have been such a sweet theme, but no, laser tag...

I noticed there seem to be a lot more non-tragic themes actually on the list than truly tragic ones.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

I'm shocked by many of the suggestions here actually...

If this thread lives long enough, we'll have every game ever made listed.

#89 10 years ago

Raven. Maybe a good game, never played it, but the translight and cab art looks like crap. Cute girl, but they could've done better.

LW3 is not tragically bad(?), but it could have been a lot better game if they spent more time on it.

Raven.jpgRaven.jpg

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Sure that's true, but that's true for every pin ever released in history.
The point is that there are MANY more people who will say that WOZ is a terrible theme compared to AC/DC or Metallica.

That definitely depends on the audience. I guarantee that the Wizard of Oz the movie is liked by more people in the USA than AC/DC the music. For people that play pinball (not limited to fanatic pinheads) then it is probably more even.

#91 10 years ago

How about "conceited cow hanging out at the beach" as a theme?

coronation.jpgcoronation.jpg

#92 10 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

That definitely depends on the audience. I guarantee that the Wizard of Oz the movie is liked by more people in the USA than AC/DC the music. For people that play pinball (not limited to fanatic pinheads) then it is probably more even.

LOL

#93 10 years ago

I know it's been mentioned a lot. But WOZ is the one for me. You couldn't pick a worse theme if you tried. Just horrible.

#94 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I also don't think that JM is a "tragically bad" theme. It's got all sorts of character and is backed up by a solid story. So, as themes go there are many that were less well-thought out than JM, regardless of the movie that uh, --cough cough-- we should all just forget about. Given a choice, I don't even know if I'd turn mine into a Matrix...

#95 10 years ago

Anyone who thinks STTNG is a bad theme is an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!

#96 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Anyone who thinks STTNG is a bad theme is an IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess im an idiot

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from ballykissfan:

I know it's been mentioned a lot. But WOZ is the one for me. You couldn't pick a worse theme if you tried. Just horrible.

It would be Kiss for me.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I guess im an idiot

Have you played it??

#99 10 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

Have you played it??

I didn't say it was a bad game I said it was a bad theme...theres a difference...to each his own..I absolutely can not stand star trek in any form...The Shadow is a great game but based on one of the worst movies ever made...good pin bad theme

#100 10 years ago

I know that this is sort of the reverse of the question, but seemingly every theme that I love ends up in a machine that I really don't. Indiana Jones, Batman and Back to the Future, are all themes that I love, and the only machine out of them that I care for is Batman Forever, by far the least of the Batman movies.

I tend to give the great games with bad themes passes because I overlook the theme for gameplay, but I'll nominate Baywatch and Viper Night Drivin' as outstanding games with embarrassing themes. Baywatch for the side art mostly, and Viper Night Drivin' for the absolute worst jackpot call out on a game ever. I have mine permanently set to kiddie mode because the regular mode is just downright embarrassing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 18.95
$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
Happy Valley, OR
Machine - For Sale
Sussex, WI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 70.00
Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 159 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-titles-have-a-tragically-bad-theme/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.