(Topic ID: 254828)

Which title from the last decade went from meh to yeah!?

By Vino

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by CubeSnake
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Well folks, we are closing in on the end of an exciting decade of growth in new pinball.
    In your experience, which title has gone from meh to yeah the most!!?

#2 4 years ago

The few that started as a yeah for me all ended up meh.

Pinball's in a serious slump right now as far as appealing themes to me. Saved me a lot of money though not wanting to buy most of them. Or any of the rumored upcoming ones.

#3 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The few that started as a yeah for me all ended up meh.
    Pinball's in a serious slump right now as far as appealing themes to me.

You have a problem with pinball themes?!

Why have you been keeping this a secret so long?

To actually answer the guy’s question, everybody hated iron man when it came out because it didn’t have enough toys.

Once people actually played it and saw how fun it was demand rose, prices rose, and the game became the first “vault” release.

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Pinball's in a serious slump right now as far as appealing themes to me.

I recently really enjoyed Oktoberfest in a home environment which I didn’t properly experience at a show. Niche perhaps, but a huge meh to yeah! - ton of fun.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You can't say I didn't at least give it a try. Cost me a couple grand at least in doing so.

#7 4 years ago

Mostly TWD

For me Woz and currently SW.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Mostly TWD
    For me Woz and currently SW premium.

I agree with respect to TWD

#9 4 years ago

SW just like IM, i was pissed with the lack of toys, layout, pretty much the whole pin. Then I put close to a hundred plays in and with its deep code it is pretty fricking good.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

To actually answer the guy’s question, everybody hated iron man when it came out because it didn’t have enough toys.
    Once people actually played it and saw how fun it was demand rose, prices rose, and the game became the first “vault” release.

This

#11 4 years ago

TWD and MET were both panned due to unfinished code. Both eventually became great.

#12 4 years ago

I think Batman 66 is the poster child for this thread. Went from DOA to pretty damn good, even with the clunky layout, all because of rule set. Anyone else notice a coder theme with the games primarily mentioned here so far? If you want the best chance at "yeah" always bet on Lyman.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

I think Batman 66 is the poster child for this thread. Went from DOA to pretty damn good

I didn't have that kind of patience with it. But it has been killing it on location since it left here. Killing it.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from LesManley:

If you want the best chance at "yeah" always bet on Lyman.

His titles certainly evolved to fit that description this decade!

#16 4 years ago

Star Wars-when it first came out I thought it was lame and did not have cool "toys." Then I started to play it more and more and realized it is not about the toys but the layout, soundtrack music, etc. made it a fantastic machine. Once it was in a home environment-I really fell in love.

Deadpool-Really did not care for the layout, especially the Katana shot. I thought it was too tight and made it play clunky. The more I play it, the more I like it. The Katana shot is enjoyable once you have it dialed in.

Jurassic Park-At first I did not care for the plastic truck with newton ball, trying to get raptor multi-ball seemed impossible, and I wish it had clips from the movies instead of animations but it has grown on me and now it is fun to play and addictive.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Hobbit for me.

I need to go another round with Hobbit.
    It’s been awhile.

#18 4 years ago

Lyman games. Twd met and bm66 all were very simple and boring release, now some of the best.

Deadpool also has gotten way better with more layers since release.

#19 4 years ago

I agree with most of those mentioned above, but want to add Mustang to the list. Initially panned for the theme (which I never understood, because I thought most guys like hot cars), those who gave it a chance found out it is just fun to play.

#20 4 years ago

I remember a looooong time ago a few of the "cool/popular" people on RGP started ranting and raving about a game called medieval madness. The same few eventually started ranting and raving about a game called circus voltaire. Then if IIRC a game called tales of the Arabian nights. It felt like everytime they opened their mouths is caused a freaking huge feeding frenzy and the prices sky rocketed.
    It took these games from meh to (F) yeah! At least that's what it felt like for me. Opinions may vary and that's OK.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

I remember a looooong time ago a few of the "cool/popular" people on RGP started ranting and raving about a game called medieval madness. The same few eventually started ranting and raving about a game called circus voltaire. Then if IIRC a game called tales of the Arabian nights. It felt like everytime they opened their mouths is caused a freaking huge feeding frenzy and the prices sky rocketed.
    It took these games from meh to (F) yeah! At least that's what it felt like for me. Opinions may vary and that's OK.

From someone that played all of these on location, MM was just another good new game.

CV and TOTAN left the impression they could do a whole hell of a lot better and make games people actually wanted to play again. As far as people reading what one person on the internet said and all the sudden wanting to pay a lot for either, I missed that little bit of comedy.

#22 4 years ago

WOZ and Transformers LE. Melting the witch is a great rush and let's face it, is there another game as packed as WOZ? Transformers is just fun. Great music, callouts, awesome cannon shooting multiball and ripping the spinner with the shaker mode when double scoring is lit is awesome.

#23 4 years ago

TWD for shizzle with SW a super close 2nd, or do I have that backwards? Its that close imo.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from CLEllison:

I am not a modern game guy but remember when RBION was regarded as a closeout stinker on RGP. Seems to be regarded as a fun game with a good following now.

Also the Shadow and BSD seemed to pick up steam over the years.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Also the Shadow and BSD seemed to pick up steam over the years.

In the mid-late '90's you couldn't GIVE a BSD away...people had no interest whatsoever...I bought one NIB and have it to this day. To me it was always an under rated pin. WhiteWater also comes to mind...they were 600-800 pins all day long.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-title-made-in-the-last-decade-made-you-change-your-mind-?hl=crile1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.