(Topic ID: 183347)

Which titles have a high number of shots from a flipper?

By nosro

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by zacaj
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

wpt (resized).png
2001 (resized).jpg
tz (resized).png
woz (resized).png

#1 2 years ago

Clearly, there is more to a fun pinball machine than just a large number of shots. Putting that aside, what machines can you think of which have a large number of shots from a flipper? Ramp entrances, targets, loop entrances, scoops all count as long as it is a point scoring shot that can be reached directly from a flipper.

I immediately thought of Wizard of Oz (28), but was surprised that old timer Twilight Zone has a large number (21) despite its mini playfield having but a single shot.

Again, this is not a judgment on fun, but just a straight accounting of things that can be aimed for.

woz (resized).png

tz (resized).png

#2 2 years ago

I will be interested to see any that have a lot like these two as those are my two favorite pins! Clearly I like games with a lot of crap to shoot at.

#3 2 years ago

Wow, somebody has a lot of time on their hands !! ..

#4 2 years ago

If we're going to count individual targets as "shots," Gottlieb's '2001' would have 26 shots that can be made with the flippers.

2001 (resized).jpg

#5 2 years ago

Wpt has 20 drop targets plus all the other shots.

#6 2 years ago

I feel like counting a single target in a bank of ten for as much as a ramp is going to skew your results.

I like to count how many shots you ever actually aim for

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Wpt has 20 drop targets plus all the other shots.

It's 16 drops

#8 2 years ago

It's 16 drops

My mistake, sorry

#9 2 years ago

Here's what I counted in World Poker Tour (29):

wpt (resized).png

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I feel like counting a single target in a bank of ten for as much as a ramp is going to skew your results.
I like to count how many shots you ever actually aim for

Second this. I've done something similar in the past, but I won't count narrow standups at all, and target banks (standups or drops) count as 1 shot. One game having a ramp with the blue nubs at the entrance is the same to me as a ramp with 2 narrow standups at the entrance sides. For me, I was looking at something like unique or quality shots in a game.

So to me...
ST Pro = 12 unique shots (shield bank, scoop, through spinner, lock bank, warp ramp, alpha ramp, under ship, black hole, beta ramp, right orbit, behind flipper, torpedo bank)
Stern Kiss = 9 unique shots (Kiss bank, through pops, scoop, Starchild, center ramp, Gene head, right ramp, right orbit, Army bank)

From there I look at how good they're used. I think ST is a much more fun game than Kiss because not only do I see more shots, but I think they're all used very well. What makes my head count interesting is when I come across a game like EBD, because it would have only have a couple of shots but they're used very well.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

From there I look at how good they're used. I think ST is a much more fun game than Kiss because not only do I see more shots, but I think they're all used very well.

Agree. That's why I started the post with the comment that a high number of shots does not guarantee a fun game. Still, I thought this would be an interesting exercise.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

If we're going to count individual targets as "shots," Gottlieb's '2001' would have 26 shots that can be made with the flippers.

Interesting! However, I believe many of the targets are not directly reached by a flipper. Perhaps just seven (including back-handed shots) on each side plus the four directly facing the flippers would amount to 18.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

From there I look at how good they're used. I think ST is a much more fun game than Kiss because not only do I see more shots, but I think they're all used very well.

I'd agree on the ST vs kiss comparison, but I feel like ST loses something as, although all the shots are used in the game, there aren't many purposes to them. All the ramps and orbits basically serve a single purpose, which is just to be a mode shot. Compare that with, say, Demo Man. Only 9 shots (including the two on the left you never go for), but most of them have important things that can only be done at that single shot.

Quoted from Yoko2una:

One game having a ramp with the blue nubs at the entrance is the same to me as a ramp with 2 narrow standups at the entrance sides.

How do you feel about games where the stand ups are actually important, like the lock targets on white water?

#14 2 years ago

Lexy Lightspeed - Escape From Earth has 33 targetable shots from the flippers not including stuff on the screen.

12 lane/ramp/scoop shots if you exclude standups.

If you include the secret scoop, which is targetable but pretty darn hard and invisible that would be 34/13

#15 2 years ago

Hobbit has 25?

Haunted House and Black Hole have 27

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
$ 999.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.95
8,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Arlington, VA
$ 109.99
$ 14.95
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bensenville, IL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside