(Topic ID: 276924)

Which themes/licenses have no place in your game room?

By Vino

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

203737FD-7CCD-463D-ACCC-6A5A5D83BF6E.gif
    Raven.jpg
    Hardbody.png
    Judas-Priest-Rob-Halford-768x435 (resized).jpg
    6DCDA3A9-5D2F-4B1E-A507-749A38A7C61F.png
    20190416_203503.jpg
    20200908_212300 (resized).jpg
    992D1249-CA14-4B2D-A6BC-E4D26B0923FD (resized).jpeg
    42119 (resized).jpg
    61a6xJutgvL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    91LNJcSDcCL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    C9lrHGuW0AE3joN (resized).jpg

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 3 years ago

With Wonka, Toy Story, Turtles and now Avengers some said no as they are “too old” for these themes.

It’s all fun pinball, but what themes or licenses (if any) have no spot in your game room today?

#2 3 years ago

Menopause

#3 3 years ago

#4 3 years ago

Wizard of Oz.

Even if I did like it enough to own it, the red slipper flippers are enough alone to make people question my manhood.

#5 3 years ago

#6 3 years ago

Supreme

#7 3 years ago

Whenever I enter a person's room dedicated to video games , the first thing I do is internally judge their theme choices. This can take a while depending on the amount of machines, but after its done I wait until everyone is in ear shot to bring up the verdict. It's a tough job, and I've been thrown out of plenty of homes as a result but if someone has been judged as a pussy they need to be told.

A recent example, I went to a home and the first machine I saw after navigating through a room with a popcorn machine, man cave bar, and a gumball machine, was a No Fear pin and I thought to myself "hey this guy is one bad ass mofo, there is no way he has lace curtains up in the bedroom" but as I rounded a corner, I spotted a dialed in and had this huge sinking feeling in my stomach. I love denim as much as the next guy but there is no leather to balance out the stone washed theme , therefore it had to be called out.

I waited until everyone was around the bar and as drinks were served I made my move. "Hey man, great room you have down here, too bad your theme taste in pins is rich, creamy shit"
    Those were the last words I remember uttering before he clapped two bottles of Jack Daniel's against my head and round housed my jaw sending me straight through his Action Jackson framed movie poster.

Turns out he was pretty bad ass.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Wizard of Oz.
    Even if I did like it enough to own it, the red slipper flippers are enough alone to make people question my manhood.

if that is all it takes, do you really have a manhood to begin with?

#9 3 years ago

My Little Pony.

C9lrHGuW0AE3joN (resized).jpgC9lrHGuW0AE3joN (resized).jpg
    #10 3 years ago

A little bit of fragile masculinity been shown here...

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jeffswack:

I typically despise these statements but it is true.

After working in the HVAC field and doing wholesale, some of those real men, the old guys, are funny as hell. One young guy was very sensitive and obsessed with looking like a “tough guy” so the old manager came out and said “you look so cute when you’re angry, I could kiss you right on the mouth”

Funniest shit ever to be in that room. The young guy turned bright red and cursed up a storm as he stomped out.

tl;dr real men can bust stones, and are too self-confident to let things like that bother them.

#12 3 years ago

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the most embarrassing theme in modern pinball history and you should be ashamed if you own one.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

if that is all it takes, do you really have a manhood to begin with?

I guess nothing says “manly” as much as sparkly red slippers. I do own and where some pink shirts and ties on occasion, so I’m not completely hopeless.

#15 3 years ago

Seems like anything involving a small pony is an official dividing line for the game room.

#16 3 years ago

Don't care. If it's fun, I play it. If it's not fun, I get rid of it.

#17 3 years ago

Ever since my ex, who was parole officer and did her thesis on serial killers, had me watch the story of John Wayne Gacy, I now can’t stand anything with either a clown theme or a clown face. So when I see it, I’m like nope, I’ll pass.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from 29REO:

Ever since my ex, who was parole officer and did her thesis on serial killers, had me watch the story of John Wayne Gasey, I now can’t stand anything with either a clown theme or a clown face. So when I see it, I’m like nope, I’ll pass.

Haven’t seen that before but I almost took a pass on hosting my friends Gigi. Now it doesn’t bother me anymore.

#19 3 years ago

Requiem for a dream
    The conjuring
    Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Old boy

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Requiem for a dream
    The conjuring
    Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    Old boy

Old Boy was a great movie.
    South Korean films are fantastic.
    Man from Nowhere is even better in my opinion.

Quoted from mrclean:

My Little Pony.

If they used the Gen1 all the way to the modern era, MLP has a lot of content.

Hasbro could probably make a theme based on themselves and all the IPs they own.
    Why can’t we get a 90s cartoon pin like Rocko’s Modern Life or Ren & Stimpy.
    Throw them all together.

#21 3 years ago

I’ll have to check it out. Not sure if it’s Korean, but the wailing is good too.

#22 3 years ago

I'm not that stuck on theme, but do admit I care. However, my wife will throw out a possible game purchase just based on theme alone. I'm learning nothing basketball, nascar, or no fear. I'm sure there are others. Luckily she and I share the like of a lot of 80's/90's movies and shows. For me, I wouldn't do a Popeye's, wrestling, wheel of fortune, and some others. New themes, totoally agree about My Little Pony (I know it's a joke) or disney princess movies.

#23 3 years ago

I'll play anything if it's fun, but keeper pins have to fall in line with my likes. I'm a big movie guy. I like fantasy, medieval, robots, and spooky/haunted themes...so that's mainly my wheelhouse.

For themes I wouldn't touch...maybe rainbow bright, my little pony, hello kitty.

P.S. I own a WOZ and I LOVE it! I guess ruby slippers don't bother me.

#24 3 years ago

Theme is not important when your main focus to play the good pinball. If it is, then you should ask yourself why many many times over and over again until you realize that it’s not really important.

#25 3 years ago

WOZ and Dialed In.

#27 3 years ago

Probably something like Sexy Girl or maybe a couple of the Playboy pins.
    The only reason for that is that I’ve got younger kids. Not to mention all I need is one of their friends coming over and saying something to their parents like “I saw naked girls over at their house”. At that point I think you become the creepy parent at school.

Other than that, themes don’t bother me too much. I think games like Congo, No Fear, No Good Gophers etc are awesome games, even though I think the themes suck.
    If I had my choice of themes, it would be Rock and Roll, Monsters and Sci-fi.

#28 3 years ago

Woz, wonka, big juicy melons, Lucy,

#29 3 years ago

The Bible

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Probably something like Sexy Girl or maybe a couple of the Playboy pins.
    The only reason for that is that I’ve got younger kids. Not to mention all I need is one of their friends coming over and saying something to their parents like “I saw naked girls over at their house”. At that point I think you become the creepy parent at school.
    Other than that, themes don’t bother me too much. I think games like Congo, No Fear, No Good Gophers etc are awesome games, even though I think the themes suck.
    If I had my choice of themes, it would be Rock and Roll, Monsters and Sci-fi.

I agree with Playboy. I really like how the last version plays, but just wouldn't want it in the house with the kids. I only have room for one pin right now. If I had a whole row of games, I could probably mix in a Playboy.

#31 3 years ago

Not a fan of clowns so prominent displays of them would be a problem. That being said, if the gameplay was good I'd overlook the art.

Since I don't have little kids around the house I like adult oriented themes. Drinking, swear word callouts and tasteful, provocative women are fine with me. Fortunately my wife is on the same page.

#32 3 years ago

Rick & Morty

#33 3 years ago

For those of you who mentioned clown themes are too creepy - where does Funhouse sit? He is certainly not a clown but has a creep factor... and many consider it one of the best classic games ever made.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

For those of you who mentioned clown themes are too creepy - where does Funhouse sit? He is certainly not a clown but has a creep factor... and many consider it one of the best classic games ever made.

Back when I got into pinball my wife saw one at a show I dragged her to, and told me never LOL! Agree about the creepy factor though

#35 3 years ago

The Back in black LE is a superb Pin and a top theme about one of the best bands. Different taste....

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

Not a fan of clowns so prominent displays of them would be a problem.

And one step more, stoned Clowns ready for gang bang. Never this machine will be in my gameroom.
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1003&picno=12782&zoom=1

#37 3 years ago

Old rock bands

#38 3 years ago

Overt devils, demons, evil in general. Was going to buy a Houdini and its got a damned Ouija board on it. Skulls are ok if discreet.
    Clowns. Just say no. In your face phallic imagery *jack in box. Would never own rick and morty. No alec baldwin or robert deniro or any other outspoken left fist actor/singer. Loved the Disco Era but all the oned produced are ugly as sin. Most of the 60's EM rock and roll pins too, with some exceptions.
    Munsters too corny. Bally Rolling Stones hideous, in my top ten of worst art EVER. Playboy Dated and promoting HH, no.
    Beatles, wrong Era, same old early songs over and over, fraid not.
    Might as well mention bad early repetitive sound on SS, beeps and boops ok, droning out.
    Raven. I would like to re-theme a Raven. Same for Future Spa, but neither as is.

#39 3 years ago

Yah hate to pile on but when WOZ came out I couldnt believe someone thought that was a good idea.

I know its a pretty popular game but to me in a hobby full of middle aged dudes WOZ isnt exactly target marketing at its finest.

#40 3 years ago

Yep. This is the worst.

Just imagine the possibilities... Sunday School Multiball. Fuck yeah!

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Overt devils, demons, evil in general. Was going to buy a Houdini and its got a damned Ouija board on it. Skulls are ok if discreet.
    Clowns. Just say no. In your face phallic imagery *jack in box. Would never own rick and morty. No alec baldwin or robert deniro or any other outspoken left fist actor/singer. Loved the Disco Era but all the oned produced are ugly as sin. Most of the 60's EM rock and roll pins too, with some exceptions.
    Munsters too corny. Bally Rolling Stones hideous, in my top ten of worst art EVER. Playboy Dated and promoting HH, no.
    Beatles, wrong Era, same old early songs over and over, fraid not.
    Might as well mention bad early repetitive sound on SS, beeps and boops ok, droning out.
    Raven. I would like to re-theme a Raven. Same for Future Spa, but neither as is.

Damn, so pretty much all the cool shit?

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:Damn, so pretty much all the cool shit?

Double Damn.

Quoted from Jeffswack:

Nothing fragile about WOZ, and Willy Wonka, DI and TMNT. If u can stand it then great, I can't.

Not saying it has to be evil and horror but come on, those titles are an extreme counter. Toy Story? WFT is happening here. Although I did attend a pinball convention in Toronto when I first started collecting 10 years ago and if that crowd represents the main fan base and buyers of pinball machines, then I totally get it.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from GSones:

Not a fan of clowns so prominent displays of them would be a problem. That being said, if the gameplay was good I'd overlook the art.
    Since I don't have little kids around the house I like adult oriented themes. Drinking, swear word callouts and tasteful, provocative women are fine with me. Fortunately my wife is on the same page.

It's amazing how many games have clown images. I was just thinking that the other day looking at a Hurricane.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

It's amazing how many games have clown images.

Those are happy clowns. I heard Spooky might do a pin based on this which would make it a good possibility to be my first Spooky pin.

91LNJcSDcCL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg91LNJcSDcCL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    #45 3 years ago

Not many that I can think of. Wrestling usually comes to mind...and if we get to cock rock bands like Motley Crue that would be tough. Of course Iron maiden is close and it was a great game so you never know.

Quoted from Vino:

Seems like anything involving a small pony is an official dividing line for the game room.

I have a daughter & she might love it, so I wouldn't have any issue owning it.

#46 3 years ago

Anime, and generally just weeb stuff. No anime trash will ever grace my home, period.

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

...he red slipper flippers are enough alone to make ...

...me take them off for sure. Anything on the flipper would be taken off pretty quick, unless it was grandfathered in like Elvira.

#48 3 years ago

I never got the idea of considering WoZ and Wonka as purely kids' themes. Toy Story would be more so, sure, but WoZ and Wonka are quite dark at times, and weird as well, and are both based off classic literature. These are nothing at all like most of the kids' movies made today, almost everything menacing or nasty would've been scrubbed out of them. Wonka is notorious for grim, gallows humor (it's basically a string of children meeting their ironically gruesome demise!), and Wizard is like some depression-era LSD trip. If Wizard of Oz is a kids' theme, so is Lord of the Rings.

Speaking of kids' movies today, it's funny people get on WoZ and Wonka, but are perfectly fine with superheroes, particularly the utterly bland, inoffensive Marvel movie ones. Those and the new Star Wars are kids' movies. They're also McMovies made for foreign languages, devoid of the style, strangeness, and clever humor in WoZ or Wonka because it doesn't translate well to China.

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Quoted from tilted81:

Lost me at Acdc lucy and big juicy melons.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Those are happy clowns. I heard Spooky might do a pin based on this which would make it a good possibility to be my first Spooky pin.[quoted image]

Love the art. I could do that theme. I remember watching that movie as a kid when I used to stay at my Grandma's. I had to sleep on the couch and had access to the TV all night long. I watched it again not long ago and man, somethings are best remembered. It would make a cool theme, but most might think it is unlicensed, but it wouldn't be.

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-themes-have-no-place-in-the-game-room?hl=stuliss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.