(Topic ID: 276924)

Which themes/licenses have no place in your game room?

By Vino

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

203737FD-7CCD-463D-ACCC-6A5A5D83BF6E.gif
    Raven.jpg
    Hardbody.png
    Judas-Priest-Rob-Halford-768x435 (resized).jpg
    6DCDA3A9-5D2F-4B1E-A507-749A38A7C61F.png
    20190416_203503.jpg
    20200908_212300 (resized).jpg
    992D1249-CA14-4B2D-A6BC-E4D26B0923FD (resized).jpeg
    42119 (resized).jpg
    61a6xJutgvL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    91LNJcSDcCL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    C9lrHGuW0AE3joN (resized).jpg
    There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

A new pinball company came along and put a game out with far more features and code then what they were getting.

Yeah that's why they weren't into with WOZ. It wasn't the ruby red teen girl slipper flippers, or the terrible yellow brick road music. No it had nothing to do with rainbows and musicals. Nope. It was all resentment for that masterpiece of pin. Those awful men who just couldn't get into their mothers and probably grandmothers fav movie as a pinball theme. I mean come on, Somewhere over the Rainbow? Only a man who has issues with his own masculinity would deem that fem.

Stern army doesn't exist but u know what does? JJP fanboys that will defend anything JJP including a teaser that gave nothing and a ridiculously long wait period for a pin announcement because it will be worth it. "Build Quality" right.

#102 3 years ago

It's weird how insecure so many people are that they feel owning certain titles threatens their masculinity.

You could own any macho title and still be a complete pussy.

Woz is a high tech machine with deep rules that doesn't affect your sexual preference. It's a challenging game that is tough to conquer. It has a lot going on.

Owning a pinball machine is not something that attracts chicks no matter how masculine you think you are. A confident person understands that.

#103 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

...2011 when WOZ was announced lol. A new pinball company came along and put a game out with far more features and code then what they were getting...

Quoted from Hazoff:

... probably grandmothers fav movie as a pinball theme. I mean come on, Somewhere over the Rainbow? Only a man who has issues with his own masculinity would deem that fem.

#104 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

It's weird how insecure so many people are that they feel owning certain titles threatens their masculinity.

Completely agree, I just personally find the WOZ sound package incredibly annoying. Ears literally hurt after being around it for any length of time. Wonka has a lot of that same flavor. Slot machine, slide whistle, xylophone hell.

#105 3 years ago
    Quoted from yancy:

Completely agree, I just personally find the WOZ sound package incredibly annoying. Ears literally hurt after being around it for any length of time.

Yes, WOZ has enough things that make it horrible on it's own, you don't need to bring in stupid shit.
    Take a game like LOTR, eye bleeder for me as well.

#106 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Woz is a high tech machine with deep rules that doesn't affect your sexual preference. It's a challenging game that is tough to conquer. It has a lot going on.
    Owning a pinball machine is not something that attracts chicks no matter how masculine you think you are. A confident person understands that.

I respectfully disagree, my friend. Avoiding pins with effeminate or childish themes is not a sign of insecurity. It's simply a personal preference for age-appropriate and gender-appropriate themes. Is it insecure for a middle-aged man to prefer Hendrix over Beiber? No.

#107 3 years ago

WOZ the Movie was a fricking Horror show. My Daughter still can't be around the wicked witch cackling and those flying monkeys bugged me as a kid.
    I've never had the honor of playing one but if it has annoying sounds like Wonka probably wouldn't like it. Sound these days is more important than Theme, guess thats why I prefer Gottlieb chimes and Williams bells. (going now to watch a video of game play)

#108 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Is that what that is. I've been using it to stir my drinks.
    Damn it.

ROFL. this thread is starting to be my second favorite.

Hopefully the drinks didn't taste funny.

#109 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

WOZ the Movie was a fricking Horror show. My Daughter still can't be around the wicked witch cackling and those flying monkeys bugged me as a kid.
    I've never had the honor of playing one but if it has annoying sounds like Wonka probably wouldn't like it. Sound these days is more important than Theme, guess thats why I prefer Gottlieb chimes and Williams bells. (going now to watch a video of game play)

Those flying monkeys scared the shit out of me as a kid! Gave me nightmares. Absolutely hated those scenes until I was old enough to understand , hey it's Hollywood, it's monkeys with fake wings.

#110 3 years ago

About the only theme that I would be annoyed by is Ted Nugent. I'd sand that face off of my game in a heartbeat. Maybe glue a picture of Dimebag Darrell in its place.

#111 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

WOZ the Movie was a fricking Horror show.

It's my favorite atheist movie of all time.

#112 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Maiden was good till around Powerslave, they they slipped as did Metallica with the Black album and Megadeth with Countdown to extinction. It happens, but Piece of Mind, come on my Devil baby friend.

Maiden is great. Dont get me wrong. I'm basically poking at the crowd of people who are insecure in knowing they own something that says IRON MAIDEN on it so they gotta remind everyone and themselves how terrible the music is. Soooo terrible.

I hope someday we get a killer Judas Priest layout with Halford's crotch dead center in the artwork, just to make 'em sweat.

#113 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I'm basically poking at the crowd of people who are insecure in knowing they own something that says IRON MAIDEN on it so they gotta remind everyone and themselves how terrible the music is. Soooo terrible.

Don't know what insecurity has to do with it. Luckily you can turn the terrible music down on a great machine.

#114 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't know what insecurity has to do with it. Luckily you can turn the terrible music down on a great machine.

And that's totally fine, but it seems no one can say they enjoy the pin without assuring everyone they dislike the music. Goes for any music pin, really. "Just so everyone knows, I don't like this music. FOR THE RECORD, I am not a fan of this music!" Like, what does it matter if people know that about you? I think people are worried about being seen by others differently just because they own something out of their norm. Let 'em guess all they want. Insecurity leads to proclaiming it right away, while self confident will allow people to inquire, if they are truly giving a shit if you like the music or not in the first place.

I think music themes are the most polarizing of themes in pinball.

#115 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

No one can say they enjoy the pin without assuring everyone they dislike the music. Goes for any music pin, really. "Just so you know, I don't like this music." Like, what does it matter? ...

Ah Ok I get what you mean.

Quoted from sunnRAT:

I think people are worried about being seen by others differently just because they own something out of their norm....

Interesting, not the way I see it, but fair enough.

For me it's at least a 60/40 split of letting people know the game is awesome even if they don't like the theme, because I don't get down with theme-whoring.

#116 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Ah Ok I get what you mean.

Interesting, not the way I see it, but fair enough.

Maybe "worried" is the wrong word. More like concerned. People who are concerned with what others think you like or don't like. I just can't relate to that.

#117 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Maybe "worried" is the wrong word. More like concerned. People who are concerned with what others think you like or don't like. I just can't relate to that.

It's an interesting theory.

#118 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

No doubt. Emasculating, which has been mentioned throughout this thread, is being such a pussy as to care what other people care or think about what games you have. Own the games you like and if people have a problem with it..the door’s right over there, beat it nerd.

#119 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I'm not worried at all what other people think. I am only concerned with what I think. I think Iron Maiden music sucks. It is literally that simple. I listened to a bunch of songs and tried to like them when the pin came out but I still think they suck. Not sure how that fits into any of your strange theories? To me you are just having a hard time understanding that people have different opinions than you.

#120 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I'm not worried at all what other people think. I am only concerned with what I think. I think Iron Maiden music sucks. It is literally that simple. I listened to a bunch of songs and tried to like them when the pin came out but I still think they suck. Not sure how that fits into any of your strange theories? To me you are just having a hard time understanding that people have different opinions than you.

Sorry if a discussion on sociological aspects of musical preference is too hard to comprehend. Wasn't aimed so much at you as it was leading into generally speaking about themes and how its music that is the most polarizing among people. I could care less what shitty music you like or dislike. Not even that big of an Iron Maiden fan these days.

Wish owners would go ahead and change the music on their pin already so we can stop reading about how tortured they are and start reading how thrilled they are to finally have a Trapt or Nickelback pinball machine themed with artwork of some zombie guy stuck in Egypt.

#121 3 years ago
    Quoted from brainmegaphone:

For those of you who mentioned clown themes are too creepy - where does Funhouse sit? He is certainly not a clown but has a creep factor... and many consider it one of the best classic games ever made.

Rudy will never enter my home. Although I have played Funhouse many times.

#122 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Sorry if a discussion on sociological aspects of musical preference is too hard to comprehend. I could care less what shitty music you like or dislike.
    Wish owners would go ahead and change the music on their pin already so we can stop reading about how tortured they are and start reading how thrilled they are to finally have a Trapt or Nickelback pinball machine themed with artwork of some zombie guy stuck in Egypt.

Sounds like I hit a nerve. Everyone has their own taste and it surely is influenced by the music they were exposed to and grew up with among other things. I don't need to invent an elaborate theory to understand why anyone has different taste in music and I don't care if someone says a band that I like is shitty.

I also think Trapt and Nickelback suck LOL. I don't own an IMDN machine, but my choice for replacement songs would be Ozzie/Sabbath, Hendrix and maybe some Deep Purple. The artwork would be fine and could remain unchanged.

#123 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Sounds like I hit a nerve. Everyone has their own taste and it surely is influenced by the music they were exposed to and grew up with among other things. I don't need to invent an elaborate theory to understand why anyone has different taste in music and I don't care if someone says a band that I like is shitty.
    I also think Trapt and Nickelback suck LOL. I don't own an IMDN machine, but my choice for replacement songs would be Ozzie/Sabbath, Hendrix and maybe some Deep Purple. The artwork would be fine and could remain unchanged.

You're still not comprehending what I said. But that's ok. We'll leave it at that.

#124 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Boy is that stupid.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

I don't own an IMDN machine, but my choice for replacement songs would be Ozzie/Sabbath, Hendrix and maybe some Deep Purple.

That's strange. U like Sabbath and Deep Purple and Hendrix but not Maiden? Well hopefully for both of us they make a Sabbath pin the near future.

#126 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

I hope someday we get a killer Judas Priest layout with Halford's crotch dead center in the artwork, just to make 'em sweat.

I'm in. Wait I'm not saying I'm into Halford's crotch I'm in for a Judas Priest pin, but if I had to be in mans crotch, that's the crotch I wanna be in.

Judas-Priest-Rob-Halford-768x435 (resized).jpgJudas-Priest-Rob-Halford-768x435 (resized).jpg

#127 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

It's my favorite atheist movie of all time.

Well, you got me thinking, but I can't figure it out. Like The Wizard is a metaphor for God?

#128 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

"Just so everyone knows, I don't like this music. FOR THE RECORD, I am not a fan of this music!"

Yeah that's crap.
    If you don't like Maiden(which is fine), why buy it then? Let me tell ya something, no matter how great a Cardi B pin layout is, I'm never buying one.

#129 3 years ago

Double post by accident.

#130 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Well, you got me thinking, but I can't figure it out. Like The Wizard is a metaphor for God?

Ha, I watched a documentary a couple months ago that WOZ was a commentary on our country's monetary system and the gold standard based on the authors previous work and statements.

#131 3 years ago

Oops, dupe post trying to spell correct previous.

#132 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Yeah that's crap.
    If you don't like Maiden(which is fine), why buy it then? Let me tell ya something, no matter how great a Cardi B pin layout is, I'm never buying one.

My problem with music pins is since the bands are all huge these are songs I have heard 1000 times and am already sick of.

hearing them another 1000 times is not fun..

I loved Maiden as a kid but the pin I cant get into.. same with ac/dc etc.

If there was more variety like it played the entire catalogue randomly that would be more tolerable but the same 8 songs over and over?

no thanks... thats what classic rock radio is for, a mind numbing constant stream of the same 100 songs.

#133 3 years ago

I can only think of a few games that will never make it in my gameroom. Iron Maiden-can't stand the music, Hardbody's for cheesy theme/translight and Raven is just overflowing with cheese factor.

Hardbody.pngHardbody.pngRaven.jpgRaven.jpg
    #134 3 years ago

These are the exact reasons why I want these games. What’s wrong with cheese?

#135 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

What’s wrong with cheese?

Trust me I like cheese, it just has to be a certain flavor. Love my Barbwire

#136 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

These are the exact reasons why I want these games. What’s wrong with cheese?

Totally see both sides, but agree on the cheese. I’ve been wanting a laser war forever.

#137 3 years ago

My wife wants a Shrek, even though she only plays a handful of games a year. I actually dig the theme but do not care for the layout.

#138 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinmister:

Trust me I like cheese, it just has to be a certain flavor. Love my Barbwire

Spoiled. Got it.

#139 3 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Totally see both sides, but agree on the cheese. I’ve been wanting a laser war forever.

If I had room for 37 games, no less than 10 of them would be weird ass gottliebs with terrible art.

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

If I had room for 37 games, no less than 10 of them would be weird ass gottliebs with terrible art.

Ha ha you pretty much hit the nail on the head. When you get to a certain amount of pins they all start to feel the same with traditional layouts, etc. I now hunt for the odd stuff that fills my cup. Currently hunting for an Elvis-miss the unique upper left ramp shot that feeds to Heartbreak Hotel bank. Want a Time Machine for the unique chime sounds and fun layout. Want a Truckstop for the unique four flipper layout with ramps, and an Oktoberfest for it's unique layout/theme. Sometimes the odd/cheesy stuff is the best!

#141 3 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

My problem with music pins is since the bands are all huge these are songs I have heard 1000 times and am already sick of.

hearing them another 1000 times is not fun..

I loved Maiden as a kid but the pin I cant get into.. same with ac/dc etc.

If there was more variety like it played the entire catalogue randomly that would be more tolerable but the same 8 songs over and over?

no thanks... thats what classic rock radio is for, a mind numbing constant stream of the same 100 songs.

I agree. Now they chose pretty good songs for Maiden but if they did a Sabbath pin I doubt my favorites will be there, same with Priest. I can't listen to classic rock stations either, I listen to 90% classical anyway. AC/DC has songs way better than their set list of classics. What I wish is Stern made it very easy to insert ur music into these pins. I love Bruce D's vocals but where's "Killers" its a shame, a damn shame. I should be able to in the home environment put a USB stick into the board an change out the tracks to my liking. I know it can be done but just make it easy for us.

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Basically, yeah. The whole theme of someone coming to realize that they don't need an external entity for salvation. The actual powerless nature of the wizard.
    And this classic scene:

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

This guy has an allegory for just about every aspect of the movie:

http://showmeskeptic.blogspot.com/2015/04/the-wizard-of-oz-atheist-allegory.html

#144 3 years ago

My family won’t allow anything with a clown or big head (e.g. Rudy in Funhouse). The clowns on Sittin’ Pretty were almost an issue.

I wouldn’t want any music pins and would probably never have early 2000 Sterns and/or themes like CSI and 24 that don’t age well.

I’m not a fan of modern comic themes though AIQ could possibly change my mind.

#145 3 years ago

I wouldn't want any games that featured urinary tract infections. Well, unless they had good flow.

#146 3 years ago

Butt plug and urinary tract themes -ok- noted.
    Oh Pinside ..
    203737FD-7CCD-463D-ACCC-6A5A5D83BF6E.gif203737FD-7CCD-463D-ACCC-6A5A5D83BF6E.gif

#147 3 years ago

Its not a butt plug kind sir, its for stirring cocktails.
    Wait a minute?

#148 3 years ago
    Quoted from ThatOneDude:

Basically, yeah. The whole theme of someone coming to realize that they don't need an external entity for salvation. The actual powerless nature of the wizard.
    And this classic scene:

When you start to find deep hidden meanings in crappy old movies its probably time to put the bong down.

You are giving them credit for being way smarter then they really are.

#149 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have a thing for Genesis. Call it a guilty pleasure. I don't care. I love it.

#150 3 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I have a thing for Genesis. Call it a guilty pleasure. I don't care. I love it.

Absolutely. That’s the game that made me want more gottliebs. Took me down a weird and awesome path.

People always talk about robo war and tx sector but there are so many more.

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-themes-have-no-place-in-the-game-room/page/3?hl=pinball2020 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.