(Topic ID: 276924)

Which themes/licenses have no place in your game room?

By Vino

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

203737FD-7CCD-463D-ACCC-6A5A5D83BF6E.gif
    Raven.jpg
    Hardbody.png
    Judas-Priest-Rob-Halford-768x435 (resized).jpg
    6DCDA3A9-5D2F-4B1E-A507-749A38A7C61F.png
    20190416_203503.jpg
    20200908_212300 (resized).jpg
    992D1249-CA14-4B2D-A6BC-E4D26B0923FD (resized).jpeg
    42119 (resized).jpg
    61a6xJutgvL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    91LNJcSDcCL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    C9lrHGuW0AE3joN (resized).jpg
    There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 3 years ago
    Quoted from VALIS666:

I never got the idea of considering WoZ and Wonka as purely kids' themes.

Its not just that they are kids' themes. They are just bad pinball themes in general. Stern is guilty as well just not as much. I know JJP wanted to be family orientated and ok but I often wonder where they might be if they had gone a different route. Not r rated or anything but WOZ, DI, POTC, Hobbit, Wonka. How about Alien, Predator, Strange Brew, Blade Runner and The Road Warrior. I know I'm a broken record with this but it hurts me. It hurts me deep down where I'm soft, like a woman. Hmmm maybe I will buy a WOZ.

#52 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Its not just that they are kids' themes. They are just bad pinball themes in general. Stern is guilty as well just not as much. I know JJP wanted to be family orientated and ok but I often wonder where they might be if they had gone a different route. Not r rated or anything but WOZ, DI, POTC, Hobbit, Wonka. How about Alien, Predator, Strange Brew, Blade Runner and The Road Warrior. I know I'm a broken record with this but it hurts me. It hurts me deep down where I'm soft, like a woman. Hmmm maybe I will buy a WOZ.

Be careful what you say, you may actually like it.

#53 3 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Be careful what you say, you may actually like it.

I like playing it, still gave it a 5 or so in the rating. I'm not a douche bag who gives a pin a 1 or 2 rating cause you know, I'm a douchebag. Listen I can have fun with this.

61a6xJutgvL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg61a6xJutgvL._AC_SL1500_ (resized).jpg
    #54 3 years ago

Whoops
    Forget u saw that. I meant this

42119 (resized).jpg42119 (resized).jpg
    #55 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Whoops
    Forget u saw that. I meant this
    [quoted image]

TMI Bro...TMI.

#56 3 years ago

Half naked dude in a hockey mask as his avatar, I thought his interests were self explanatory?

#57 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I like playing it, still gave it a 5 or so in the rating. I'm not a douche bag who gives a pin a 1 or 2 rating cause you know, I'm a douchebag. Listen I can have fun with this.
    [quoted image]

Careful there thanos, you're well on your way to an infinity gauntlet with that gem.

#58 3 years ago

Half naked dude in a hockey mask as his avatar, I thought his interests were self explanatory?

What's that supposed to mean? Or is this one of the tough threads where we act like none of us own butt plugs?

#59 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Damn, so pretty much all the cool shit?

I reckon. Tired of the scantily clad woman on a futuristic lion look while iron stud muffin looks on, fingering his sword.
    When I was stoned in the 80's that was the cats ass. Now, tired of looking at it.
    The Gottlieb psychedelic Era tried hard but I have to admit was good, except 5 years too late. "People are getting off the acid, man. You can't get it anymore, old guys that made it are gone"
    Why these cartoons on rock and roll pins? Show Aerosmith, Metalica. I enjoy staring at a pin in a daze every now and then.
    Everything I listed puts you in a bad mood looking at it lit up, especially bad Clowns.
    Anybody can show me a good, tasteful rendition of a Clown?

#60 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

What's that supposed to mean? Or is this one of the tough threads where we act like none of us own butt plugs?

Don't really want one on a back glass lit up with leds. Keep that shit in wraps.

#61 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Don't really want one on a back glass lit up with leds. Keep that shit in wraps.

I wasn't talking to you. I mean the cool you in the 80s maybe, but not this rotten carcass we're left with.

#62 3 years ago

Somewhat dictated by my wife. I'm in a foul mood tonight. She put the kabash on the possibility of getting Elvira 3. Doesn't think it's suitable in house with young grandkids.
    This was added to Dracula , TWD , etc.

However Met is fine.

#63 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'll still be your friend no matter what you put in your butt. Pinball pals for life.

#64 3 years ago

Hmmm, makes me wonder how many pinballs fit in the trough (please don't tell me you actually have a number).

#65 3 years ago

Anything too sexual or too gory/scary for the kids. So no Playboy, TWD, Elvira, ACNC, etc.

#66 3 years ago
    Quoted from indybru:

Somewhat dictated by my wife. I'm in a foul mood tonight. She put the kabash on the possibility of getting Elvira 3. Doesn't think it's suitable in house with young grandkids.
    This was added to Dracula , TWD , etc.
    However Met is fine.

I think the innuendos of Elvira 3 would go over the grandkids heads, but unfortunately not your wife or daughter(in-law). Bummer because those are all great games. I would ask about a family mode but I know there’s not one on BSD and certainly nothing on TWD could make it family friendly, and Elvira 3 has the biggest set of boobs on the backglass since the 90s.

#67 3 years ago

“Sweep the leg” multiball?

992D1249-CA14-4B2D-A6BC-E4D26B0923FD (resized).jpeg992D1249-CA14-4B2D-A6BC-E4D26B0923FD (resized).jpeg
    #68 3 years ago

Family Guy, KISS, Dialed In, WOZ are all themes that I can't stand for the visuals, soundtracks or both. I honestly would take any of these games for free, but I would flip them without even setting them up in my house. Iron Maiden is a really bad band, but has great art and is a great playing game. I would allow one in my gameroom, but only after all of the songs have been replaced with decent music.

#69 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

I think the innuendos of Elvira 3 would go over the grandkids heads, but unfortunately not your wife or daughter(in-law). Bummer because those are all great games. I would ask about a family mode but I know there’s not one on BSD and certainly nothing on TWD could make it family friendly, and Elvira 3 has the biggest set of boobs on the backglass since the 90s.

There actually is a family mode on BSD.

I've actually come across one that had it in effect years ago when I was with a friend who was picking up another pin from a seller. I could tell it was active because the girl getting bit didnt make a sound.

I think other things were removed. Like the face melting jackpot animation and some of the callouts. Like what's the point? Might as well sell the damn thing if he hasn't already.

20200908_212300 (resized).jpg20200908_212300 (resized).jpg
    #70 3 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Iron Maiden is a really bad band

Never heard this before.

I wish more people on pinside would speak up about how Iron Maiden is so terrible.

#71 3 years ago

I’m not a big hater of themes. Fish Tales is about as bad a theme for me as possible but I really like the game so I still play it. I really didn’t understand Munsters. I understand it was a huge show and I watched it as a kid but I felt like the ven diagram of Munsters and Pinball is two circles.

#72 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

There actually is a family mode on BSD.
    I've actually come across one that had it in effect years ago when I was with a friend who was picking up another pin from a seller. I could tell it was active because the girl getting bit didnt make a sound.
    I think other things were removed. Like the face melting jackpot animation and some of the callouts. Like what's the point? Might as well sell the damn thing if he hasn't already.[quoted image]

No shit? I thought that was something that came about way later, like after FG.

#73 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

No shit? I thought that was something that came about way later, like after FG.

T2 was the first to choose how family friendly the pin can be i would say. Profanity roms....

#74 3 years ago

Don't really care about themes. If it's fun, I want it.

I'm more offended by bad theme integration, like GOTG with basically no shot-related callouts, and mode lengths matched to inflexible audio tracks.

#75 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Is that what that is. I've been using it to stir my drinks.
    Damn it.

#76 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Damn it.

My wife owns the exact same stainless drink stirrer. Except she doesn’t drink. Huh. I’m learning new things every day.

#77 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Lost me at Acdc lucy and big juicy melons.

1. I have 6 and 4 yr old daughters and that makes it awkward, plus who knows what it does to them. 2. As far as Lucy goes, I can’t also have a game that seems to be a monument to my ex.. pretty sure my wife wouldn’t be cool w/ that. I’m sure my buddies would ask me if I had it made.. See also reason 1.

#78 3 years ago

I was at a pinsiders house once and his stern playboy had nudes of his ex wife all over it. His current girl didn't seem to care at all.

#79 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Anybody can show me a good, tasteful rendition of a Clown?

20190416_203503.jpg20190416_203503.jpg
    #80 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is the most embarrassing theme in modern pinball history and you should be ashamed if you own one.

I’ve recently put a bunch of games on one, pretty fun game but I could never own one. I’d have to play it with the sound off. The turtle call outs and the awful theme song played in it’s entirety after each game is just brutal.

And I can’t stand having to hit a middle button, if I want to mash buttons I’ll play Mortal Kombat.

#81 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Never heard this before.
    I wish more people on pinside would speak up about how Iron Maiden is so terrible.

They're terrible

#82 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Damn it.

Don't forget you can keep it in the freezer and it'll really keep your drink cool!

#83 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Never heard this before.

I loved maiden when I was a kid and saw them twice on the 85 powerslave tour..

dont care for the pinball though which is kinda weird. Cant really put my finger on it but something about it annoys me.

#84 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I wasn't talking to you. I mean the cool you in the 80s maybe, but not this rotten carcass we're left with.

You are so cool law,so risque,so with it. You may be my new hero..

#85 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Don't forget you can keep it in the freezer and it'll really keep your drink cool!

Just got one with leds in it and a little remote to change colors....so now she really can make those rainbows come out her...drink glass.

#86 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

You may be my new hero..

I just hope one day I'm old enough to care.

#87 3 years ago

I know it's probably not popular opinion, but I'm not too much into sports themes.

Soo many other cool concepts out there for me.

#88 3 years ago

If it reminds me of reality, it has no place in my game room. I try to stick with sci-fi, but can be horror tempted.

#89 3 years ago

There's a bunch of games that the theme just turns me off for one reason or another. The rock band games (except Metallica) don't interest me as I'm not a fan, No Fear just seems aimed at the tattoo and brodozer crowd, LOTR is not my kind of movie, and Family Guy isn't a show I would watch.

A lot of the EM games have non-PC themes but I like that as they are a throwback to a less "enlightened" era.

#90 3 years ago

If it's a fun and challenging game, I can usually get past the theme. However, Turtles and Wrestling , I draw the line.

#91 3 years ago
    Quoted from SimpleSam:

A lot of the EM games have non-PC themes but I like that as they are a throwback to a less "enlightened" era.

Yeah there's also nothing happening but some chime noises and flipper buzz. Whats gonna offend people the bad art on the backglass?

#92 3 years ago

Theme matters to me. I'm a horror movie nut and my whole basement, bar and gameroom area is decorated with horror and sci-fi props, memorobilia and posters. Themes like WOZ, Toy Story, TMNT, Wonka and the like don't excite me much and would stand out like an eye sore in my pin lineup. Don't get me wrong, I loved ninja turtles as a kid, but still wouldn't want a pin dedicated to it or likely any other cartoon. And for JJP, this is pretty much the only reason I don't own any of their games. I don't even really like GNR, but I'm hoping for that to be their next release just because I want to see them break out of that comfort zone.

#93 3 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

or likely any other cartoon.

Even this. Use to watch this under the influence in my late teens. Ah to be young again

#94 3 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

And for JJP, this is pretty much the only reason I don't own any of their games. I don't even really like GNR, but I'm hoping for that to be their next release just because I want to see them break out of that comfort zone.

I like the cut of ur jib sir. I feel exactly the same way.

#95 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I was at a pinsiders house once and his stern playboy had nudes of his ex wife all over it. His current girl didn't seem to care at all.

What a f**kin baller. Goddamn!

Quoted from sunnRAT:

Never heard this before.

Gonna get hate for this one but holy shit AC/DC. It’s always the same 4 songs and they all sound the fkin same.
    “I hate AC/DC” - Dark Horse Brewing Co.
    6DCDA3A9-5D2F-4B1E-A507-749A38A7C61F.png6DCDA3A9-5D2F-4B1E-A507-749A38A7C61F.png

Edit: I have NEVER heard Wagon Wheel at a bar or a concert, is that weird?

#96 3 years ago

Haha Hoobastank

#97 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Iron Maiden is so terrible.

Maiden was good till around Powerslave, they they slipped as did Metallica with the Black album and Megadeth with Countdown to extinction. It happens, but Piece of Mind, come on my Devil baby friend.

#98 3 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I have NEVER heard Wagon Wheel at a bar or a concert, is that weird?

Good busking tune.

#99 3 years ago

THUNDERBIRDS
    or god forbid they made it
    The Kardashians

#100 3 years ago

if that is all it takes, do you really have a manhood to begin with?

Stern fanboys have been mad since 2011 when WOZ was announced lol. A new pinball company came along and put a game out with far more features and code then what they were getting. For some the resentment hasn't stopped. Those still bitter are now 3 star generals in the Stern Army.

There are 161 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-themes-have-no-place-in-the-game-room/page/2?hl=manadams and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.