(Topic ID: 57389)

Which table do you love to hate? Which do you 'hate to love'?

By MattG

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Sorry if the title sounds a bit off, but it's the best I could think of. What I mean is, are there any tables that you don't like, even though by all reasoning they are "good" games?

And how about the reverse? Are there any tables you love, despite their flaws?

For me, 'I love to hate' MM. I realize it's a good game, and I even (kind of) get the hype. I've just always liked AFM better and the prices on MM's make me laugh. My go-to pinball place has quite a few 'A' titles including MM and I just don't find it attractive enough to play on a regular basis despite it's excellent gameplay.

On the other hand, I 'hate to love' PinBot. It's strange, I call it my favorite table! I love the look, the feel and the sounds. I HATE the outlanes ! I'm pretty sure the devil himself designed those outlanes and gave credit to Python and Oursler. Nothing is so disappointing as watching a freshly shot ball roll out of the bumpers and straight into the right outlane without even getting a chance to flip! Or even worse, expecting an outlane drain (because they are so common) and nudging the table... only to nudge the ball into the outlane anyway! Despite the many infuriating games I've had with PinBot, I still love it!

#2 10 years ago

I hate no pinball.

#3 10 years ago

Hate is a bit strong, but I do not like Whitewater which puts me in a clear minority. On the other end of the spectrum, I "hate to love" EBD due to the art/theme.

#4 10 years ago

I never really fell in love with my STTNG. Hate the outlanes.
The game is without any humor at all.
I know it's got that "deep ruleset" and all.

#5 10 years ago

I got nothing in either category. I pretty much like 'em all.

#6 10 years ago

I don't "hate" any machine....
One I was let down by (if that makes sense) was POTC. I wanted one so bad...I got the chance to play an amazing example and was not really that excited? I think I need to buy one to give it another go....

#7 10 years ago

Or a nice code update for Christmas would also be nice for POTC

#8 10 years ago

CFTBL. It was so cool that the machine is not really about the creature, but about the creature movie. The whole drive in theme was awesome. The retro colors are great. The PF layout looked just about right. Hologram was a great idea. One of the best translites that I have ever seen. The cab artwork was perfect. Sounds and music, top notch. Since I am really big into the Universal Studios monsters, I should have loved this game. After I got one I played 2 games on it and I was bored. I wanted so bad to like this machine but I never got into it. put about 15 plays on it in 4 years. After each game I remembered why I never played it. To me the gameplay was boring. I had no satisfaction when I hit any shots, found the girl, or anything else that needed to be done in the game. I do not regret trading it. I got a Champion Pub out of the deal and I am still addicted to that game even after several months. CFTBL was one of the best looking machines I have ever seen. Too bad I couldn't stand it.

#9 10 years ago

Love to hate MM (couldn't agree more). I prefer/own AFM/MB (and I've owned a MM for 3 months).

Hate to love FT. Don't like the theme, shortened PF, not particularly collectable, but still enjoy it. Find completing the multi ball modes very difficult.

#10 10 years ago

I can;t get past the artwork on all DE's. Just high school art class horrible.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from MattG:

On the other hand, I 'hate to love' PinBot ... Nothing is so disappointing as watching a freshly shot ball roll out of the bumpers and straight into the right outlane without even getting a chance to flip! Or even worse, expecting an outlane drain (because they are so common) and nudging the table... only to nudge the ball into the outlane anyway!

Yes. It's incredibly frustrating, especially when you are having an amazing game and it does it on your last ball. A ball saver certainly would have come in handy on the game.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from cranie:

I can;t get past the artwork on all DE's. Just high school art class horrible.

really?! even phantom of the opera? that's one of the most beautiful games ever made

#13 10 years ago

I prefer BBH, TRS and avatar over pretty much every 90's title except TAF. to answer your questions I love to hate WW, AFM and pretty much all the rest of the 90's and hate to love the unloved sterns from the last few years.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14 10 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

really?! even Phantom of the Opera? that's one of the most beautiful games ever made

+1!
That machine is stunning...haunting!

#16 10 years ago

LTH = generally love early SS games, but can't feel the love for either Fathom, though beautiful, beauty is only skin deep and Mata Hari. I just don't enjoy playing either one.

HTL = NF - I own it or it owns me, changes from day to day but it gets played.

#17 10 years ago

LTH Tee'd Off. Because hating a gopher on a backglass and on the spinning wheel is fun. Don't ask me why, it just is.

HTL The Rolling Stones. Because it makes me quite the oddity around here. But I'm one anyway, so oh well.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from Thunderpants:

I never really fell in love with my STTNG. Hate the outlanes.
The game is without any humor at all.
I know it's got that "deep ruleset" and all.

No humour? You never tilted, or drained during the Q multiball? Or you just have a weird sense of humour

But yeah, its not exactly a juvenile yukfest like many of the Top "whatever" games (MM, AFM, MB, SS etc...).

I guess my LtH is: Avengers and TF just due to their horrible design. I would/will still play them when I can.

My HtL is Rollergames... just thinking about that game gets the song stuck in my head. Rock... rock... rock'n Rollergames...

#19 10 years ago

LTH: TFTC
HTL: TFTC

It changes day to day or even game to game. The damn insta-drains off the launch are infuriating. The launch drains don't discriminate either. It goes left, right or SDTM and they can kill a multiball even with ball save. The freaking left exit out of the pops right above the flipper gap. Why the hell was that put there? Just to punish completed shots to the left loop? People complain about the cackling, but how about the "Who goes there?" quote on just about every switch?

Then I'll start nailing the right ramp with some regularity. The jackpots and double jackpots are addictive as hell on multiball. The love starts to creep back right before I shoot the left loop to collect Werewolf and SDTM out of the pops, and I'm back to thinking about offering it in trades.

#20 10 years ago

I love to hate The Avengers. To date the worst game I played.

I hate to love Avatar. People hate it but I think it's kind of fun.

#21 10 years ago

I love all pinball, but my love/hate feelings go to one machine- Black Knight

I love it when it works, I hate it when it doesn't.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Or you just have a weird sense of humour

yes

BTW i vote for an eduard Khil pinball machine from Stern
Have a nice monday

#23 10 years ago

Love to hate, or two pins I just don’t like:
Black Rose
Indiana Jones (Stern)

Don’t hate it, but I feel they’re overrated:
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Family Guy

I just like them, and I feel they’re often overlooked:
Demolition Man
The Sopranos

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

really?! even Phantom of the Opera? that's one of the most beautiful games ever made

It's the nicest looking DE I've seen. But still the art is not up to par with the other companies.

#25 10 years ago

Love to Hate? Definitely Popeye. Ugly playfield. Ugly upper playfield. Stupid theme. Even stupider turning Popeye into a Noah figure/environmentalist. Ugh.

Hate to Love? That would be Baywatch. Can't stand the show. The artwork is horrible, especially with the giant Hoff staring at you....but the game is downright fantastic. The triple skill shot is brilliant, and the rest of the game is just a hoot. Love the mini Shark flipper...

Later,
EV

#26 10 years ago

LTH TZ, STTNG....I haved tried to like them...played both around 8-10 seperate times, but just don't like them

HTL CP,JY...they both have a following and I am included....but they get trashed a lot

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Dr_Spaceman:

LTH: TFTC
HTL: TFTC
It changes day to day or even game to game. The damn insta-drains off the launch are infuriating. The launch drains don't discriminate either. It goes left, right or SDTM and they can kill a multiball even with ball save. The freaking left exit out of the pops right above the flipper gap. Why the hell was that put there? Just to punish completed shots to the left loop? People complain about the cackling, but how about the "Who goes there?" quote on just about every switch?
Then I'll start nailing the right ramp with some regularity. The jackpots and double jackpots are addictive as hell on multiball. The love starts to creep back right before I shoot the left loop to collect Werewolf and SDTM out of the pops, and I'm back to thinking about offering it in trades.

I don't have a problem with ball drain off starting the game at all. Must be in the cryptzone. The crackling does not bug me at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.95
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-table-do-you-love-to-hate-which-do-you-hate-to-love and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.