Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Mantra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 10 years ago

Hi Guys,

I only have place for one Pin at my place and i want a Stern Pin.

Which one would you recommend to me? The only thing it should have is something like a "Final Mode"

Greetings from Germany

#2 10 years ago

budget?
    What kind of games do you like to play?

#3 10 years ago

Hi lowepg,

Budget is around 4500€, like ~6,2k $.

Games i like to play are TSPP, Family Guy, Stark Trek, Iron Man, LotR, Sopranos, Batman, Monster Bash, MM, Spiderman, Nascar, RCT, T3 and Transformers.

I've never played Avengers, Metallica, Avatar, Xmen or Big Buck Hunter

..so i need some advice

#4 10 years ago

Black hole...

#6 10 years ago

In all seriousness, IM, and Sopranos are real hard to beat...

#7 10 years ago

LOTR
    Transformers LE
    SM

#8 10 years ago

Or step up and find a Wizard or Oz LE if you can ... It's not a Stern but It truly is amazing

#9 10 years ago

I played IM and Tron last night for first time both are great pins !

#10 10 years ago

LOTR from your list, AC/DC Pro IA pretty sweet too

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from Beez:

Or step up and find a Wizard or Oz LE if you can ... It's not a Stern but It truly is amazing

I was waiting for this statement...

#12 10 years ago

Oh yeah, forgot about AC/DC...

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Captive_Ball:

LOTR from your list, AC/DC Pro IA pretty sweet too

^

or TSPP and still have some money leftover.

#14 10 years ago
    #15 10 years ago

LUCI

#16 10 years ago

ST or AC/DC

#17 10 years ago

Tron is the best game for me, acdc premium is great if you like the music.

ST might be one of their better games, but currently to me Tron is the best Stern.

I currently have all Stern lineup, PotC and XM LE not too shabby either.

#19 10 years ago

Twilight Zone.

#21 10 years ago

NASCAR

#24 10 years ago

TSPP, LOTR, SM

all fun games and deep with wizard modes.

ACDC gets rave reviews

Transformers and Xmen are priced right at the moment.

#25 10 years ago

I wouldn't get a deep game like LoTR SM TSPP etc... Unless you have no plans of having friends or guests over to play. I say go ST premium or acdc premium as it caters to both solo and multiplayer play.

#26 10 years ago

You can't go wrong with any of these "newer" sterns...

Tron
    ST premium or le
    ACDC premium

#27 10 years ago

I would never buy it because of theme - but I played Ac Dc premium recently and it Is something else. The bell and the canon are a lot of fun. There is a reason it it gets as much positive reviews as it does. If you are only getting one - you want to be sure you are getting something fun.

#28 10 years ago

LOTR, SM, ACDC Premium, or ST Premium

#29 10 years ago

ACDC Prem , or Tron, would go great in your collection

#30 10 years ago

Thanks for the Advices. What you think is the best Pin for the buck?

Prices in EU are quite different compared to US Market, at least i believe so..

All Pin prices are in good condition because the Pin will be placed in our living room.

TSPP about 4000€
    Family Guy about 3300€
    Star Trek Pro 5100€ new, Premium 7,2k
    Iron Man about 3500€
    LotR about 4000€
    Sopranos 2500-3000€
    Batman TDK about 4000€
    Spidy 3600-4000€
    Transformers Pro 3600€
    Transformers LE 5500€
    Tron Pro 4k, LE 5,5k-6k
    Avengers Pro NIB 4,1k, Premium 5k ;>100 Games
    X-Men, Metallica, ACDC, pro NIB 5,1k, Premium 7,2k

..which Pin should i choose depending on the price?

#31 10 years ago

IM seems best value and it is a cracking game.

#32 10 years ago

SM
    Star Trek
    LOTR

forget Metallica, its booring

#33 10 years ago

Forgot to mention.
    A good PotC is 3200€ including shipment. Can you guys recommend PotC? is it hard to master or easy?

Heard the Software at Iron Man isnt finnished?

#34 10 years ago

Sorry to say but POTC is a bad game. Its very easy and all you do is stand looking at the ball in spinner och in the big ramp All other games on your list is better then POTC.

#35 10 years ago

In no particular order.

IM
    SM
    LOTR
    ACDC Premium or LE....the pro is not worth it imo.
    X-Men
    ST

Added one more.
    Can't believe I forgot Tron.......sorry about that.

#36 10 years ago

LOTR or Tron, but really I believe Tron to be the best pinball machine ever.

IM is really fun, but the do or die is just one shot up the middle, then Jericho Missile Mayhem is just a "shoot all the shots" mode. It's technically a final mode, but it just feels like another multiball to me.

The "destroy the ring" mode in LOTR is one of the best things in pinball. And getting through Sea of Simulation is heart pounding on Tron. I'd recommend both of those based on your final mode wishes.

#37 10 years ago

For the prices listed...would pop on IM, so sweet

#38 10 years ago

Be careful with IM because there are 2 versions of IM

Usually the pro version costs the same as Tron or more

The lesser version you don't want it's called home version or something and usually costs about half what the real one costs

I really didn't care for IM but only played a handful of games on it, so maybe after time I would like it more, but with Tron I loved it from the first ball and every game I play on it, even a bad game on Tron is fun.

About PotC, don't believe the post saying its a bad game, maybe some people don't like it, but a lot of people do like it. I've had mine for 7 years and it still looks brand new and it has never had any mechanical issues, it's fun, it's great for all ages, it has a great theme, one of the coolest toys ever, it has a lot of mod potential although it doesn't need to be modded. It has a lot of things to do to get to the final wizard mode, but is also quite easy for novice players to get started. My father in law can't figure out one thing on Tron or XM LE, but he can play PotC and have a good game just walking up and turning it on without me having to go into any detail about what he has to do.

Now, I am not saying PotC is the best game, it has long ball times and is stop and go. I prefer Tron shorter ball times and no stop and go, but you could do worse than getting a PotC.

However, best to play as many different games to see what you like most as each person is different, some people might just adore IM while some people might hate it.

#39 10 years ago

Hi guys,

after all i think i'll wait until some Mustang pictures are released.

I came to the decission to "invest" 500€ more and buy a NIB Stern. Mustang (Pro) or Star Trek Pro. At least i think so

#40 10 years ago

LOTR, for used

If your going to buy NIB, I would suggest playing the games first if you can. Star Trek is a great game in my book, and I think its getting better with updates.

#41 10 years ago

Theme is personal and a big part of the enjoyment. If you don't like a theme, you will quickly tire of the music and callouts. A few of the most popular Stern games in the last 10 years or so are:

LOTR 2003, Spider-Man 2007, Tron 2010 and ACDC 2012.

That gives you 3 designers and 4 genres to choose from with games that are consistently given high praise. I'm trying to be objective as TRON is not a personal favorite despite loving the theme. I like POTC but do remember that game was rumored to be a turning point for Stern in terms of decline of sales when it was released.

Good problem to have.

#42 10 years ago

What do you think about Transformers Pro? I've read its very fast and hard to get to the wizzard mode? Software seems good too?

#43 10 years ago

If you haven't checked out bowen's videos on papa's site i think you should check out any game that you are considering. Bowen is a master and takes the games through their paces. He explains stragegy and the good and bad things of each game and feature.

http://papa.org/videos/games/

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from NiGh7MaRe:

I came to the decission to "invest" 500€ more and buy a NIB Stern. Mustang (Pro) or Star Trek Pro. At least i think so

The Mustang will not be out until February. If you want to wait a bit. Also the Mustang will have the new system and LCD. It may be great or it may be a distraction? I would buy a SM until the dust settles then you could sell SM easy and buy a NIB of your choice later.

#45 10 years ago

ST pro, Tron pro or Transformers combo le (I like transformers... Great machine... Great price)

#46 10 years ago

Spidey and Sopranos.

#47 10 years ago

Loving my ST Pro. Can't stop playing it to be honest. Transformers and Tron are also great.

#48 10 years ago

LOTR remains my all time favorite. only real negative is there really isnt a 'quick' game to play. but for having only one pin you really couldnt go wrong. so many things to do. so many 'mini'wizards'..the multiballs are absolutely awesome. etc and I still have never seen this supposed final wizard mode! lol

#49 10 years ago

You really should play something at least 20 or 30 times that you are considering spending $6200 on. Would you buy a $6200 used car that you haven't test driven? I realize people can spend $ however they want on anything but, pinball takes up a lot of space and cash to consider buying before you try a particular game. An Ironman for 4800 USD seems like a bargain to me. Likewise, a Spiderman for 4800-5000 USD sounds like a deal as well - condition depending of course.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from NiGh7MaRe:

What do you think about Transformers Pro? I've read its very fast and hard to get to the wizzard mode? Software seems good too?

I found it pretty ho hum, good fun for a while but not a long term stayer for mine.
    Had it for a couple of weeks and couldn't offload it quick enough.

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-stern-to-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.