(Topic ID: 160371)

Which Stern pinballs have the best theme integration?

By pninja005

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Nevus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images(2)_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mudflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Taking the assets of the game's theme and implementing them into gameplay in a way that makes you actually feel involved with whatever the theme is.
The best example I can think of is America's Most Haunted. AMH uses the balls and toys in very innovative ways, to make each ball feel like a character in a story. For example, in the doctor mode, one of your fellow ghost hunters gets trapped in the morgue with the doctor ghost (this is shown on the playfield by the ball getting trapped in saucer behind the door). Another ball is launched out (you) as you try to save your friend. You bash the ghost to distract him (the ghost toy then looks forward right at you and makes remarks directly to you the player), and then you hit the door to damage it while he's distracted. The ghost then snaps back to looking at the door and makes more comments. You repeat this process until you bust down the door, and as you're doing so your partner who is trapped in the morgue is making comments back at you. That's just illustrating one mode of the many in the game, and each integrates the theme and makes you feel involved with the game's story and world in similarly innovative ways.
So an example of a game in this thread that's been brought up a lot that I can't seem to find good theme integration in at all, Tron. What about the features in Tron have anything to do with the Tron element they're suppose to represent? Like if Quorra multiball didn't say Quorra on it, how would you know it has anything to do with the character Quorra? You're not interacting with the game in any special way that relates to the character, you're just playing a multiball. I find all the modes/multiballs in Tron to be similarly detached from the theme. Don't get me wrong, Tron is an incredible game, I just can't find any way that it represents the qualities of good theme integration.

The ball in Tron represents the identity disc, programs, and light cycles.

When the ball is shot into the spinning disc, it's literally flung back at you, similar to the disc battle in the movie. Light cycle multiball and Quorra multiball are similar battles that follow the movie fairly closely.

Tron as a theme is executed spectacularly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greeley, CO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI
$ 12.95
$ 39.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
South Berwick, ME
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mudflaps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-stern-pinballs-have-the-best-theme-integration?tu=mudflaps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.