24%
  • Just stick to the 5 you have 11 votes
    11%
  • Mmmmm bacon 26 votes
    26%

(100 votes)

#1 11 years ago

I own a TSPP, LOTR & FGY (all HUO mint)

I am adding a RBION & SM (HUO mint of course )

There's room for just one more machine, thinking of either a POTC or BDK.

Leaning more towards the POTC as I already have a Gomez title. I want the art/sounds/theme/play style to contrast my current titles as 6 is my max & both seem to do that well enough.

Of course I am a big boy & capable of making my own decisions but sometimes it's good to hear the praises or dissapointments of a machine from another persons perspective.

#3 11 years ago

AC/DC Premium. Great game that is only going to get better.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I own a TSPP, LOTR & FGY (all HUO mint)
I am adding a RBION & SM (HUO mint of course )
There's room for just one more machine, thinking of either a POTC or BDK.
Leaning more towards the POTC as I already have a Gomez title. I want the art/sounds/theme/play style to contrast my current titles as 6 is my max & both seem to do that well enough.
Of course I am a big boy & capable of making my own decisions but sometimes it's good to hear the praises or dissapointments of a machine from another persons perspective.

Both BDK & POTC hold the ball a lot as do some of the other titles you already have. ACDC is much faster then any of the above titles and probably a little more so them SM. But if you really were just set on the 2 titles you picked i'd probably choose POTC. Both games suffer from horrible voice work though.

#5 11 years ago

Glad you are adding RBION

I would say POTC as your final. While not the deepest in the rules department, I find the game really fun to play and is a good fit in any collection

#6 11 years ago

I like POTC. It's a fun game but it's super, super slow in the home enviroment. Crazy long balls times, constant repetition, and really long animations. Good for women and kids as a gateway to pinball. Cool theme, cool music, cool toys, but it's just really, really slow. Pull up a chair kinda game. It's going to be a while.

#7 11 years ago

iron man or tron

#8 11 years ago

I am in the minority here, but I like BDK; IMO, it is a much cooler theme.

#10 11 years ago

im going to second IM or Tron, But BDK if i had to choose between it and POTC

#13 11 years ago

I owned POTC for a while and really wanted to like it. After a year or so, I finally realized it just wasn't for me. So, I'd go BDK between those two since I'll never own POTC again.

Agree with others, there are far better Sterns than those two.

#14 11 years ago

My wife said I had a game of POTC at Chuck-e-Cheese the other day that was over two hours long. I'm not sure about that, but my score was over 500 million and was in Four Winds mode when I gave up. Dead Man's Chest wasn't registering shots properly so I couldn't finish the first part of the wizard mode.

EPIC PISSED OFF.

#15 11 years ago

POTC. IN a mixed collection, I think it plays different enough to me interesting. I wouldn't mind having it. I think BDK is a sexy looking machine though

#16 11 years ago

I have 3 of your current titles (LOTR, TSPP and SM). Love them all and they compliment each other nicely.

I also own a POTC and its great too because it is very different in how it plays (different upper playfield, close chest shot and targets, upper spinner). Its not the deepest game, but still fun. I don't mind the voices at all. I actually think the Johnny Depp sound alike does a great job.

If you are only able to get one more, I would recommend Ironman over POTC. Super fast, smooth, brutal, but totally fun. Very much a "one more game" pin. In my collection, its the one game that I want to play every night.

Did not like BDK at all. Sure the crane is cool, but that's it. Hated the voice work. Joker and batmobile are lame. Just could not get into it at all.

Really liked Tron and would consider it too.

But why not look into an Xmen. Kind of a bit of IM and Tron, with seemingly a lot of depth. Its next for me.

#17 11 years ago

POTC wins for the Skill shot alone! Best skill shot ever! The SUPER DUPER skill shot that is.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

POTC wins for the Skill shot alone! Best skill shot ever! The SUPER DUPER skill shot that is.

Wha...huh?

#19 11 years ago

This will surprise a few folks but I don't like ACDC, IM or Tron.

I like playing them & certainly play them often but I just don't want to own them.

I may just stick to my 5 with some room to breathe but I'd prefer 6

If they iron the bugs out of Xmen I may get that one

#20 11 years ago

I'd go BDK over potc personally...although I've had fun with Pirates.

ACDC shouldn't be brought up because it isn't in the poll...and it isn't fun.

#21 11 years ago

I just think he threw the whole poll off by adding bacon. Who cares about ANY pinball game when bacon is involved???

#22 11 years ago

Well..... I do like bacon.
But I didn't vote for it.

#23 11 years ago

BDK > POTC. I have owned both sold both recently as they have horrible voice work and both suffer from repetition and much slower gameplay. So in short what I'm saying is go with your gut BACON!!

#24 11 years ago

They both have really great main toys, but they both also get very monotonous if you have a long game.

Random pros/cons

-POTC wins for sound. I really like some of the music (especially Collect Crew), and I think the voices are very well done, even though others have different opinions. Batman's voices are truly terrible.

-BDK gets points for a moving interactive toy. The way it works on the later levels w/ the inserts is really challenging (you have to hit the crane as its position is matched w/ a moving insert). POTC's toy, while stationary, is very cool due to multiple levels of damage (sails drop) & animation FX. It rocks back and forth and sinks - revealing the Kraken shot.

-BDK is a bit more flowy, if that's important to you. I'm no "flow snob", but sometimes it does get annoying that EVERY shot in POTC stops the ball. Nothing flows back to the flippers really.

-I really like the Tortuga multiball. It's a clever use of the spinner...the # of balls you get in multiball depends on how many you trap in the spinner before the time runs out.

Neither game lasted more than a few months in my collection...but POTC is certainly unique...I have to respect it for having such a different layout than most modern games. Of the two, if I was going to bring one back into my home, that one might be it.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

I have 3 of your current titles (LOTR, TSPP and SM). Love them all and they compliment each other nicely.

I highly doubt that. Although they may indeed complement each other.

#26 11 years ago

Wait for Avengers

#27 11 years ago

Given the those options I chose bacon, but if I HAD to pick one of those two pins it'd be POTC.

#28 11 years ago

Have to go with POTC. The only fun part of BDK is the Scarecrow crane. Just not enough in that game to rotate anything else out of my collection. POTC set difficult will last in home use.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Apollyon said:

I highly doubt that. Although they may indeed complement each other.

Did your reply make you feel like a big man? So helpful to have the spelling police out in full force...

#30 11 years ago

Both nice. I don't like the joker doll in a box but I love the crane shot
I don't like the sneeze guard on POTC but it's removable. POTC looks really cool when modded.

POTC by a little.

#31 11 years ago

POTC & a BLT it is

#32 11 years ago

Iron Man. Wicked fast!

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

So helpful to have the spelling police out in full force..

Usage. Commonly used incorrectly. I do it, too. Especially when I am typing quickly.

#34 11 years ago

POTC absolutely, if you are the only person to play then it may not matter but it is a great game for new players and females at my house. A true gateway pin!

As for easy, the audit on mine shows 8000 games played with 9 four winds registered. Definitely something to work for!

#35 11 years ago

Just a thought, instead of POTC, give CSI a try if you can find one (if the theme doesn't turn you off).

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Just a thought, instead of POTC, give CSI a try if you can find one (if the theme doesn't turn you off).

Gotta disagree there. CSI is not even in the class of of POTC. And I don't like pirates movie of pinball.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They both have really great main toys, but they both also get very monotonous if you have a long game.
Random pros/cons
-POTC wins for sound. I really like some of the music (especially Collect Crew), and I think the voices are very well done, even though others have different opinions. Batman's voices are truly terrible.
-BDK gets points for a moving interactive toy. The way it works on the later levels w/ the inserts is really challenging (you have to hit the crane as its position is matched w/ a moving insert). POTC's toy, while stationary, is very cool due to multiple levels of damage (sails drop) & animation FX. It rocks back and forth and sinks - revealing the Kraken shot.
-BDK is a bit more flowy, if that's important to you. I'm no "flow snob", but sometimes it does get annoying that EVERY shot in POTC stops the ball. Nothing flows back to the flippers really.
-I really like the Tortuga multiball. It's a clever use of the spinner...the # of balls you get in multiball depends on how many you trap in the spinner before the time runs out.
Neither game lasted more than a few months in my collection...but POTC is certainly unique...I have to respect it for having such a different layout than most modern games. Of the two, if I was going to bring one back into my home, that one might be it.

Yes, perfect evaluation of the 2 games.
Scott

#38 11 years ago

I would wait and see if a good deal comes up on something. Sometimes the hand of fate can throw you a bone.

#39 11 years ago

I'm not a Stern fan, but Tron (especially LE) and LOTR have changed my opinion on the brand (TSPP is fun too). The rest are pretty meh. If I had to (or even could) choose, I'd go with Tron LE.

#40 11 years ago

Tron
ACDC
or IM

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Snowdale said:

Wha...huh?

Shooting the left treasure 'orbit' (don't know how to name it) hard and precise (lucky) enough to let it fly through the right treasure 'orbit' for the SUPER DUPER skill shot

Nice skillshot indeed, giving some nice startup points!

On topic: POTC of this selection

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Gotta disagree there. CSI is not even in the class of of POTC. And I don't like pirates movie of pinball.

Well I definitely gotta disagree right back. I've played POTC recently, and CSI is a much better game.

#44 11 years ago

POTC is incredibly boring. I own and operate one but you won't catch me playing it very often. It has a pretty cool layout and overall theme integration, but you spend a lot of time shooting the ball into dead stops and then waiting for it to come back to you. Shooting the chest endlessly sucks in particular, and the suckiness is compounded by the knowledge that the original design had some in-line drops to make it more interesting, but ended up being costed out. You see most of the interesting things in the game within the first few minutes and then just have to repeat them for as long as you can stand. Not good!

But hey, it earns pretty well. Ship bash mania!

#45 11 years ago

Not the same as castle bashing?

#46 11 years ago

None....getcha a B/W Machine

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 218.00
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 18.00
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Grand Rapids, MI
€ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

6,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Birmingham, AL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-stern-machine-would-you-get and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.