New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 150929)

Which Stern machine should I get?

By brucipher

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 35 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by whisper
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

Hey gang,

I am thinking in the next several months I would like to add a Stern title to my lineup for some variety. Since I only have room for 4 machines, I will probably have to let go of White Water to make room (I am sure I will hear lots of "keep White Water" replies ). This would make my other 3 machines: Twilight Zone, Scared Stiff, and The Hobbit. What Stern game do you think would compliment these games well? I've owned LOTR, Tron, Star Trek, and Family Guy in the past, so probably want something different. I was thinking maybe Spider Man, TSPP, or X-Men:LE? I'd love to add AC/DC Premium, but that is out of my price range right now.

Thoughts?

#2 4 years ago

Vote here for XMEN LE. I tend to prefer mode based games and XMEN has many of them and just a really unique ruleset. The game also has a lot of shots and features. I put a ColorDMD in my Wolverine LE and it looks amazing. For the price you are getting a lot of game.

The main knock some have with XMEN is its callouts. Some are bad, I'm not denying that, but there are a lot of good ones in there as well. Also, with the game being based off of the comic rather then the movies the call outs not sounding like the movie characters isn't that big of deal.

I did own an ACDC Premium for a couple years and honestly I found its ruleset to be shallow. Some will say I'm crazy for thinking that but the modes themselves are not very interesting in my opinion. There are really no shot based modes in the game (hit flashing shots), the multiballs tend to all play the same (with the same opening DMD animation...) and the lower playfield is poorly integrated with the rest of the game. Still a fun game but just didn't hold me the way other games do.

#3 4 years ago

Transformers Pro, don't listen to the negativity and give it a try, its fast, brutal, deep, some of the best sound design I've ever heard and the theme works perfect with pinball. I would put it up against any of the top rated Sterns. SM and IM are good choices as is TWD.

#4 4 years ago

This is a personal thing,based on you!!I play my RBION constantly,its all modded and full LEDs,fun,unbeatable,and crazy !! Just a thought!!peace

#5 4 years ago

Right now debating getting rid of a really nice highly modded STTNG and going all Stern. In a similar boat since I will have POTC and LOTR (picking it up in a week).

SM seems high right now. People are asking 5k for originals. Kinda hard to justify a game paying 5k for an 8 year old game when the new should hit for 6500 or less. Also expect price to drop as the remakes filter in. Some people will want the new, some people will want the old. Many won't care and go off condition/price. It is going to increase the suppy of SM so expect the value to drop a bit.

Seen some HUO TSPP's at 4500. Seems like a good deal relative to what LOTR goes for now. Has plenty of depth and a unique layout.

X-Men, just can't get past Wolverine. Seriously who thought making him that huge was a good idea? Yeah, you can go with the aftermarket captive ball, but dunno.

I would hold off on RBION. It is a great game, but in a small collection it has typical lawlor moves that won't set it apart from TZ. Others might chime in with TF or Avatar, but cannot get past the theme on either of them. In a big collection sure, but if you are going to stay small get what you want for play and theme.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

This is a personal thing,based on you!!I play my RBION constantly,its all modded and full LEDs,fun,unbeatable,and crazy !! Just a thought!!peace

Great game and has been going up in value.

#7 4 years ago

Play and theme is right!!Have you ever tried to collect all 7 letters on a RBION??Let alone complete all countries for the mystery country??Good luck,have fun!!!

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Great game and has been going up in value.

No, it hasn't. People keep asking 4k for HUO and they sit. There was a routed one for 3200 on here and it sat. There is another one I was offered on here for 2800 or 2850. It had been on here for sale for a bit.

It is a great game, but it is not going up in value. It is Stern's Shadow. Great ruleset but a theme that a lot of folks don't care for.

#9 4 years ago

You have not had MET yet? Here's your list:

1. Metallica

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

No, it hasn't. People keep asking 4k for HUO and they sit. There was a routed one for 3200 on here and it sat. There is another one I was offered on here for 2800 or 2850. It had been on here for sale for a bit.
    It is a great game, but it is not going up in value. It is Stern's Shadow. Great ruleset but a theme that a lot of folks don't care for.

Prices seem up on RBION compared to what they were a year or two ago. Same for The Shadow. As NIB game prices continue to rise more and more people are going to look at older used games that offer more "game" (features, toys, code, etc) for the half the price.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

1. Metallica

I know it gets a ton a love, but I kind of can't stand Metallica's music...so there's that

#12 4 years ago

TWD Pro is pretty sweet and brutal

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from brucipher:

I know it gets a ton a love, but I kind of can't stand Metallica's music...so there's that

I'm not a fan either. Artwork is better than most but not really my style either. That and other things kept me from even giving it much of a chance. Once I learned a little bit about the rules and gave it a far shot, I was hooked. Great fun. Rules are open where you can activate different things depending what you shoot for. Dots and sounds are great. Feels a lot more "complete" that most Stern games. It's also a Stern title where you are not giving up much getting a pro and you can still get one for less than $5000. Throw in a colordmd, shaker, and tasteful mods and it will be better than a premium for much less.

#14 4 years ago

Almost all of the Stern games are fun. Even the ones that get ranked on here have a lot of redeeming qualities to their play. And the ones that are not as good end up getting priced accordingly. So honestly you will probably not go wrong.

Quoted from brucipher:

I don't like their music that much either, but the pin doesn't get love because of the music, it gets love because of the rules. Once you learn the rules, the game is very approachable, and extremely fun. It allows you to choose between risk reward shots, and it lets you keep a jackpot on the table in CIU to build up a crazy jackpot (along with double scoring if you line it up right). I love a game that can give you that kind of decision and you end up knowing exactly how many points you will lose if you flub it.

But maybe that isn't a good fit. However there are lots of choices. Pick the rule style you like, and then pick a game to match it.

#15 4 years ago

I've owned 9 Stern (still own 8 sold SM but that's a solid title also).

I can't say what's best for you. But for me, I'd strongly recommend Iron Man (or Tron or Met pro) these three are all fantastic. Like I can't choose between them but if I had to I'd probably say IM by tiny bit.

My other suggestions are AcDc premium or Tspp.

I had a pinball party and IM was the most played game.

As Panzer said XMLE is nice value and PotC is still good, I've owned it for 8 years or more and hard for me to let it go.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Guinnesstime:

1. Metallica

Great pin. I had held off getting Met since I'd already had 3 other Borg games XMLE, Tron, and IM. I didn't want to be so reliant on one designer, but I can't get over how much fun Met is.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

My other suggestions are AcDc premium or Tspp.

He said AC/DC was out of his current price range....or I would have recommended it...cause it's bad ass

#18 4 years ago

image_(resized).jpg

#19 4 years ago

You have a lot of good choices. I have twd, tspp, lotr, IM and sopranos currently...love them all. I've owned xmen, rbion, acdc and avengers, liked them a lot too. No bad choices in that list in my book.you need to play them. Go with a theme you like.

Personally, I'd get rid of that ss and wh20 and get two stern games. Ss is a good game, just too shallow and easy...at least to beat the stiff o meter...not to complete the web, that's tough.

#20 4 years ago

Get what you want as long as it's fully coded or close to.
    Ironman
    Star Trek ( few bugs but a great game)
    The Walking Dead
    Metallica
    Mustang (few bugs)
    Avengers
    ACDC (excluding the cannon mods)
    Transformers
    Spiderman
    WPT
    LOTR
    Family Guy
    POTC
    Ripleys
    etc...

Stay away from any new game until you have played it and feel like you can wait the code update out.

#21 4 years ago

I'd go with Ripley's. And I did..

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Prices seem up on RBION compared to what they were a year or two ago. Same for The Shadow. As NIB game prices continue to rise more and more people are going to look at older used games that offer more "game" (features, toys, code, etc) for the half the price.

No, they really aren't. I bought a RBION straight off route a bit over a year ago. Traded it in November and have kept an eye on replacing it with a nicer version. Routed ones with flipper wear sit at 3k. I've watched HUO sit at 3600 for months. The game isn't suddenly increasing in value because you say/want it to. Shadow is still around 3k which it was at last year as well.

The problem with your logic is that people are selling off older machines to afford the new, more expensive games. A few titles have shown increases, but not every game has gone up. Many have been stagnant for awhile now.

#23 4 years ago

My suggestions would be SM, XM (go pro if you can find one LE is fun as well), or Metallica.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

No, they really aren't. I bought a RBION straight off route a bit over a year ago. Traded it in November and have kept an eye on replacing it with a nicer version. Routed ones with flipper wear sit at 3k. I've watched HUO sit at 3600 for months. The game isn't suddenly increasing in value because you say/want it to. Shadow is still around 3k which it was at last year as well.
    The problem with your logic is that people are selling off older machines to afford the new, more expensive games. A few titles have shown increases, but not every game has gone up. Many have been stagnant for awhile now.

Whatever ya say. No reason to be rude.

#25 4 years ago

Thanks for all of the input so far! I've played Metallica a bit, but maybe I will have to give it another chance and get over my dislike of their music. I've not played it enough to learn the rules...just a couple times in a bar...

#26 4 years ago

Hold out for Ghostbusters

#27 4 years ago

IMO White Water is your best game. I would dump the Scared Stiff and pick up The Walking Dead.

#28 4 years ago

Dump Whitewater and Scared Stiff and get TWD and Ghostbusters.

#29 4 years ago

Consider NASCAR? Half the price and just as much fun.

#30 4 years ago

Sopranos..... Great game with excellent flow

#31 4 years ago

I think you should give TSPP a try. Good price and really deep rule set.

#32 4 years ago

Well I just picked up a GOT Pro and have to say that it has exceeded all of my expectations. Super fast, great flow and amazing rules already! Honeymoon phase still but it really is a lot of fun to play. You don't need to be a fan to enjoy this one.

You also can't go wrong with an IM. IM is absolutely brutal.....but I (and many others) love fast brutal games.....it really does "fight back". But that's what makes it such a great "just one more game" pin. It's also probably the best multiplayer pin Stern has ever produced. No one has to wait and even poor players have a shot at winning.

Other candidates - MET Pro, ST Pro and TWD Pro......all great titles.

#33 4 years ago

IronMan, Pirates of the Caribbean, and The Simpsons Pinball Party. Several great choices.

#34 4 years ago

MET or TWD: killer games. SM and IM are solid choices as well.

#35 4 years ago

WOF!!!

#36 4 years ago
    Quoted from brucipher:

Thanks for all of the input so far! I've played Metallica a bit, but maybe I will have to give it another chance and get over my dislike of their music. I've not played it enough to learn the rules...just a couple times in a bar...

I didn't like the music at first, and kind of avoided Met at the time, I bought IMVE instead. But I came back to Met and have to say both that I now love the music (bought the CDs) and the pin is killer especially at the pro price.

#37 4 years ago

AC/DC Pro is far more reasonable on the price and it's still an awesome pin. The only thing Metallica has on it is art.

#38 4 years ago

Technically, you only currently have 3 games. You're probably not seeing that Hobbit for a year. So you don't have to sell one right away.

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

AC/DC Pro is far more reasonable on the price and it's still an awesome pin. The only thing Metallica has on it is art.

Don't have an AcDc pro but to say the only thing Met has on it is art is a bit disingenuous.

AcDc has a cannon and maybe you could call the bell a toy.

Met pro has Sparky with magnet, snake which is a nice shot, triple in line drop targets with magnet which is another nice shot, controllable up post, metal ramps, and Fuel side shot. Met pro is rated 10 currently just under Met LE while AcDc pro is rated almost 50 spots lower than AcDc premium.

I'm not saying that AcDc pro is a bad choice, but given their druthers people would take AcDc premium or Met pro. 466 Pinsiders own Met pro while 161 own AcDc pro.

#40 4 years ago

South park

Lolz

#41 4 years ago

Best one...Flight 2000

#42 4 years ago

I would get TWD. It's being well supported and its different in the layout. Partially jealous. My young kids would be freaked out by TWD. I'll get one later.

Bang for buck.. Mustang. Custom music cannot be overstated in how much it improves this title.

#43 4 years ago

Transformers LE is a great game. Can be found relatively cheap. Although I do have TSPP for sale right now!

#44 4 years ago

May I suggest an early 80's Stern.
    Classic games that are IMO awesome and some of the best!
    Will give you some variety of age in your collection.

#45 4 years ago

Sharkey's Shootout.

(Though I think it's a better game than given credit for).

#46 4 years ago

I would get rid of Scared Stiff long before I would get rid of wh2o!

#47 4 years ago

This TSPP looks nice and is only a hour away from you. Good price too.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/30519

#48 4 years ago

If this thread keeps going we should be able to name every Stern ever made.

#49 4 years ago

Mustang is a seriously fast, challenging, and really fun game!

If you're interested in these attributes, consider it. Get a Premium/LE to enjoy it at its best.

#50 4 years ago

Thanks again everyone. I think after all of this discussion my top pics right now are Metallica (which wasn't really up there before), The Walking Dead, and Spider Man.

Although, now I am thinking it might be fun to have LOTR sitting next to my Hobbit (despite owning it once before). Love that game, but also love bringing new machines into my small collection.

To all those who say dump SS - I get it, it isn't a deep game, but it is one of my keepers (along with TZ). Who knows, maybe someday I will be ready to let it go, but for now it is staying (not to mention it is very nicely modded and in great condition).

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 19.95
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 52.00
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.50
    $ 9.99
    Cabinet - Other
    Bent Mods
    $ 51.45
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 3.00
    $ 7,399.00
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 159.00
    $ 150.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 41.00
    $ 189.00
    Displays
    Boston Pinball Company
    $ 199.99
    € 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 39.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside