(Topic ID: 298508)

Which Stern distributor would you recommend?

By Pin_Gizmos

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DoCPooF
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I'm thinking of placing an order for one or more NIB Sterns. Who would you recommend?

I'd like to find a reliable company that provides free shipping and doesn't charge sales tax to NJ. It would be really great if they offered better than list prices, especially if I was buying more than one game.

It's OK if I'm pre-paying for titles that will be re-run later this year.

Any advice?

Steve

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Gizmos:

I'm thinking of placing an order for one or more NIB Sterns. Who would you recommend?
    I'd like to find a reliable company that provides free shipping and doesn't charge sales tax to NJ. It would be really great if they offered better than list prices, especially if I was buying more than one game.
    It's OK if I'm pre-paying for titles that will be re-run later this year.
    Any advice?
    Steve

JJ @ game exchange

#3 2 years ago

Zach at Flip n Out.

#4 2 years ago

I'm fond of cointaker. The tax thing depends on your state, I think.

#5 2 years ago

Chris@Kingpin https://www.kingpingames.net/
    Trent at http://tiltamusements.com/

Both have excellent service and will answer their phones. The tax thing should not cost you if you order out of state and have it shipped.I think the biggest problem you might have it vendors inventory.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

JJ @ game exchange

Yep - JJ (GEX) is great

#7 2 years ago

More votes for Trent and Zach. You’ll have to call these places and see which one works best for you. But you can’t go wrong with any that have been mentioned so far.

#8 2 years ago

ForceFlow
    This feels like a question for you

As far as the order...I'm a curious person. Whatcha getting??

#9 2 years ago

As a NJ person myself Id recommend cointaker. They also do a great job with white glove installs.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbrave77:

As a NJ person myself Id recommend cointaker. They also do a great job with white glove installs.

I assume they sell enough to NJ to have to charge sales tax, but maybe not.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

ForceFlow
    This feels like a question for you

I'm not sure--I'm not a NIB buyer or in NJ.

You could always call up a few of these distributors and ask. They would probably be able to tell you.

#12 2 years ago

Marshall at Little Shop of Games down here in FL is a great guy to deal with. He’s local and is my go to

#13 2 years ago

You should support your local or closest distributor. Build a good relationship, they will always take care of you. I think its bad to buy from cheapest you can then expect local guy to handle warranty issues. Just my .02 tho,,,

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigguybbr:

Marshall at Little Shop of Games down here in FL is a great guy to deal with. He’s local and is my go to

Same here. There's a lot to said about supporting your local shop!

#15 2 years ago

Zach at flip n out was wonderful for my first purchase. Free shipping, normal msrp price. Very communicative through the whole thing, often times within minutes. Took pictures of his own machine to help me dial in the corkscrew ramp exit on JP. Can't recommend enough.

#16 2 years ago

Chris at Kingpin is a great guy. Never does the pushy salesman act. Honest so you won't get the "I've only got a couple numbers left" routine.

Never speaks poorly of his competitors either. Class act.

#17 2 years ago

Not one bad distributor from the above post’s. Mellisa at cointaker gets my money all day everyday.

#18 2 years ago

Melissa at coin taker !

#19 2 years ago

Cointaker and Game Exchange Colorado

#20 2 years ago

I have really enjoyed my experience ordering from Zach and Nicole at Flip N Out. The initial thing that made me choose them was the communication. I couldn’t get any good info from the other distributors I tried first or I felt like I was bothering them. Ha I had never purchased before so I probably was a pain to deal with but, either way, Zach responded extremely quickly and was great to work with. Im getting my second pin from them arriving this weekend and I have multiple other pins/items on order.

#21 2 years ago

All of the companies listed here (and a few not listed) are great people.

I will agree with the post stating about getting the cheapest price though. Cheapest price, best service, and follow up after the sale... you can generally get 2 of the 3, but rarely will you get all 3

As for the sales tax, it all depends on the distributor and how much they sell into any given state. Regardless on of the distributor collects sales tax or not, it is still your responsibility to declare and pay your state's sales tax for "out of state purchases." The "I bought it out of state" line wont hold much water when the department of revenue starts looking.

I would also agree with the poster that suggested finding someone local to deal with. These are the companies (generally) that are supporting your local shows, local establishments with prizes for tournaments, and are able to offer a trade in program since there isn't a lot of shipping involved. Local also means they have an easier time if something goes wrong with the game. We can all do service virtually, but that is also dependent on your skill level. For example, I can easily troubleshoot and determine you have a blown transistor, but if you dont have the skills to remove and install a new one, then all my help doesnt do you any good. That being said, newer games have less and less soldering required, but that's just an example. Here's a real life one. I recently sold (locally) an Avengers Infinity Quest pro and the opto for the right ramp exit went out. The customer had neither the desire nor the skills to replace this, so now what? They would have had to call in someone at $100 an hour (or more) to do a 15 minute job.

There are lots of variables that come into buying a game from anyone. If you dont need the local service (install, repairs, trade ins, etc) then buy from whomever takes the time to make you feel like you are am actual customer and not just another number.

In the end, there are a lot of great dealers out there, just make sure you stick to the official, authorized dealers and not the guys who claim to be, but are not.

If you wish to continue this conversation let me know

[email protected]

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

Game Exchange Colorado

I left a message for Game Exchange a week or two ago requesting information in order to place an order and they never got back to me.

#23 2 years ago

I have personal experience with Jason at Classic Game Rooms in GA (picked up games in person at his warehouse, but I think he does free or very cheap shipping).

Also had a fantastic experience with Melissa at Cointaker.

Highly recommend either of those folks.

#24 2 years ago

I buy from Automated Services

#25 2 years ago

There are tons of threads on this matter, why start another?

#26 2 years ago

Trent/Troy at Tilt Amusements, or JJ at Gamexchange

Can't go wrong with either.

#27 2 years ago

I've been purchasing from and can easily recommend Andrew at Got Pinball in Clearwater FL

#28 2 years ago

Colorado Game Exchange. My boss has bought several from there, and I bought a topper from them.

What set them apart is that they put realistic timeframes for when you will receive your item on their website, and they are very forthcoming about delivery times.

I bought an Avengers topper through them, and when I ordered it I received it in 10-12 weeks, the exact estimated timeframe they listed on their website. A few other sites had, "ships in about a month" on their site. Since this item drop shipped from Stern upon manufacture, I tend to believe Colorado Game Exchange was the one with the most accurate delivery estimate, even if it may have swung people to other sites who alluded to earlier delivery.

I have no experience with warranty claims, but from my limited experience, they are the straightest shooter on when you will get your game.

I am sure many of the other distributors are awesome, but I have no interaction with them.

Good luck and I'm sure you've had a few direct PMs from distributors.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Gizmos:

Who would you recommend?

If you are looking to get a LE then anyone you can find since you have to be buddies with a distributor and suck them off to even get on their list. I'm fortunate enough to have been buying NIB machines since the early 2000's and have a few contacts but it's really not fair for those new to the hobby who have to jump through hoops too even have a shot at getting one.

I would suggest JJ. He came through for me big time when I had some issues with my recent LE. Plus I believe he is the only distributor with an email blast for Stern LE's so everyone gets an equal opportunity at getting the game and that makes him stand apart from the other distributors.

#30 2 years ago

ASOA?

#31 2 years ago

Pinside marketplace.

#32 2 years ago

I buy all my pins through "Gameroomguys" ! They really do a excellent job!! New or used!!

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

I buy all my pins through "Gameroomguys" ! They really do a excellent job!! New or used!!

I thought they never did used machines??

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I left a message for Game Exchange a week or two ago requesting information in order to place an order and they never got back to me.

I have his cell phone number, he answers very quickly. PM me if you need his number.

#35 2 years ago

I also recommend Zach Meny at Flip N Out. I used to buy from another distributor who was slightly cheaper in a different state. I changed to Flip N Out for one reason - communication. He provides a more professional experience all around.

#36 2 years ago

JJ at GEX and Trent at Tilt are great as mentioned above.

#37 2 years ago

Zack is always great to me but so far hasn’t had anything in stock I wanted when I wanted to buy. But that’s a lot to do with this crazy times where LEs sell out before they are announced and most older games are sold out.

#38 2 years ago

Ive purchased games from JJ at Colorado GEX, and Melissa at Cointaker multiple times. I’ve had major playfield issues on games purchased through both companies and they were both excellent processing my warranty claims.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

I have his cell phone number, he answers very quickly. PM me if you need his number.

I actually talked to someone. The person I talked to was new. He said his boss would be there in an hour and that he would get right back to me. They never did. It’s fine. I understand things aren’t perfect. I ended up placing the order with Zach at Flip N Out.

#40 2 years ago

Cointaker

#41 2 years ago

If you have someone close by, that is always the best call.

If you have to go out-of-state, Marshall at Little Shop of Games is fantastic. Believe me, he is a great guy, accommodating and honest to a fault!

#42 2 years ago

Needs a poll.

Another vote for Zach at Flip N Out.

#43 2 years ago

Zach at flip n out for most purchases. Unfortunately with today's times if you want an LE you better be on multiple distributors lists months in advance.

#44 2 years ago

Having lived near Chris and Melissa for a good 10 years and seeing them often living not too far, Cointaker. Great people and they do their best to get you your items.

#45 2 years ago

To input my 2 cents, you aren't going to get free shipping, no tax, better than MSRP and be able to use a card from anywhere. Its never worked that way. You may be able to get better than MSRP and cash from a local dealer, or MSRP + free shipping + no tax + card. Other than that, can't go wrong with any of the listed ones.

#46 2 years ago

Another vote for GEX!

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from BrewNinja:

To input my 2 cents, you aren't going to get free shipping, no tax, better than MSRP and be able to use a card from anywhere. Its never worked that way. You may be able to get better than MSRP and cash from a local dealer, or MSRP + free shipping + no tax + card. Other than that, can't go wrong with any of the listed ones.

+1.

It's worth mentioning if the OP wants all those "goodies", they need to pick a distributor and build a relationship with them. Don't be out to cut all their profit with the first game you buy from them.

The best way to be treated like a good customer is to actually be a good customer.

#48 2 years ago

Cointaker has always treated me right. And if you can, go check out their location...it's awesome.

#49 2 years ago

Zach and Nicole at flip n out...when you actually meet Zach he's honest a salesman I met and very down to earth.

#50 2 years ago

I highly recommend Cointaker w their white glove delivery!

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-stern-distributor-would-you-recommend and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.