7%

(150 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6019 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

The Great Debate...

#2 6 years ago

I vote empire strikes back my favorite star wars movie.

#3 6 years ago

empire strikes back with a new hope very close.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

empire strikes back with a new hope very close.

I have to agreed. But I might give the edge to "New Hope". The original was just a great story in a classic structure and broke new ground with the filming technology. Empire was exciting in the beginning and was overall good. But I actually think the Yoda stuff was weak.

The Ewoks ruined Jedi too much to forgive like Jar Jar ruins everything it touched. Poll forgot Rouge One.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The Ewoks ruined Jedi too much to forgive like Jar Jar ruins everything it touched.

I really was hoping the fan theory of Jar Jar being a Sith Lord would have become cannon. That would have redeemed the character, IMHO.

#6 6 years ago

Poll flawed. No Rogue One.

#7 6 years ago

Best movie, Empire. Best musical score, A New Hope.

Lucas had a brilliant idea for this series, but when you watch his movies up against that of other directors, you realize just what a shitty director he really is. Some of the worst acted stuff is in the first movie. Luke is such a sniveling wuss you actually want somebody to slap him and tell him to shut up. Huge difference in Empire...

#8 6 years ago

For years, episode 4 was my favorite. As cool as Empire was, The whole cloud city was lame to me.

Rogue one is my new favoite by a long shot. I totally loved it.

#9 6 years ago

...and BTW, what a shame.

I thought this thread was going to be about which Star Wars machine was the best. I would've said the one that nobody has played yet. And that would've pissed some people off...but hey!...all the other Star Wars machines suck, so we can only hope for the best with Stern's entry.

#10 6 years ago

This one, miss you Carrie!

#11 6 years ago

Star Wars.

I refuse to call it a New Hope or episode anything. They should have stopped with the first one. It was a nice self contained story and the rest were just add-ons to sell toys. The franchise is the most overrated anything of all time. We have enough Star Wars pinball machines already.

Bring on more classic band themes. Aerosmith is one of my favorite bands of all time and I can not wait until I can play one. Leave the outer space and super hero themes alone and give me more classic rock! Fleetwood Mac or Boston next please.

#12 6 years ago

A New Hope for me but Darth Vader's Death Star arrival in the beginning of ROTJ is the best scene by far

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from I4NaK8U:

Star Wars.
I refuse to call it a New Hope or episode anything. They should have stopped with the first one. It was a nice self contained story and the rest were just add-ons to sell toys. The franchise is the most overrated anything of all time. We have enough Star Wars pinball machines already.
Bring on more classic band themes. Aerosmith is one of my favorite bands of all time and I can not wait until I can play one. Leave the outer space and super hero themes alone and give me more classic rock! Fleetwood Mac or Boston next please.

Yes "Star Wars". Anyone who was alive and able to see it when it first came out in the theaters was blown away and should refuse to call it anything else. the overrated part not so sure on.

Aerosmith is fun, I like it better without the little worthless upper playfield, but ymmv.

#14 6 years ago

The Empire Strikes Back is the closest thing there is to a perfect movie. Even these guys struggled to find anything wrong with it:

#15 6 years ago

The Hoth battle scene puts Empire on top of all for me. My list from best to worse.
Episode 5
Episode 4
Episode 6
Rouge one
Episode 3
Episode 2
Shit I don't know for the worse, it's a toss up. Episode 1 and 7...pretty much blows. I guess at least episode 1 had Darth Maul.

#16 6 years ago

ROGUE ONE!!!!

#17 6 years ago

I can't believe all the Rogue One love. I liked it ok, especially the third act, but the first two acts were slow to me and I didn't think most of the characters were compelling or well developed. I did like Chirrut and K2So but didn't care much for the others. The soundtrack was also very generic to me and seemed consistent with the fact that it was done at the last minute in under 30 days. Still ranks right below the original trilogy to me, but I'm surprised that some call this their favorite.

I'm all in for Star Wars as my favorite (won't call it A New Hope no matter how many times my 8 yr old "corrects" me).

I'm probably in the great minority that also doesn't think Vader as Luke's father was necessarily the best plot twist and I've always wondered how the trilogy would have been if it had gone in a different direction.

#18 6 years ago

Rouge One was the best SW by far, no contest at all (thus why it was not in the poll).

It was pure storytelling, without any of Lucas' typical crap:

No Yoda with his inexplicably chosen Oscar the Grouch voice.

No gay Jar Jar Binks.

No stereotypicaly Jewish Watto .

No Ewoks

No two-headed podrace announcers.

No Anakin yelling "Yipppeeee"

No Star Wars Holiday Special disco singing

No "Noooooooooooo!"

#19 6 years ago

Empire Strikes Back.Not only the best Star Wars movie,but one of the greatest movies of all time.George Lucas created an epic,something thought to be cost prohibitive in Hollywood at the time.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Rouge One was the best SW by far, no contest at all (thus why it was not in the poll).
It was pure storytelling, without any of Lucas' typical crap:
No gay Jar Jar Binks.
No stereotypicaly Jewish Watto .
No Ewoks
No two-headed podrace announcers.
No Anakin yelling "Yipppeeee"
No Star Wars Holiday Special disco singing
No "Noooooooooooo!"

I always thought Yoda sounded more like Fozzie Bear.

And don't be dissin the Holiday Special. Life Day would not be the same without it.

#21 6 years ago

You guys are nuts. Rogue One was shit. Boring story, forgettable characters, and plenty of Episode 1-3 style "humor" and bad one-liners. The Mad magazine version was pretty good though.

Episode 4 ftw.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from canea:

You guys are nuts. Rogue One was shit. Boring story, forgettable characters, and plenty of Episode 1-3 style "humor" and bad one-liners. The Mad magazine version was pretty good though.
Episode 4 ftw.

I thought Rouge One was just Okay, but the first half of the Movie dragged, the story wasn't great, and a lot of the acting was bad
...BUT, it's still easily ten times better than any of the prequels. The costumes, design, sets and effects (sans the cringe worthy CGI Tarken and Princess Leia) all made it look like a Star Wars Film.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

More like Grover. Frank Oz did both Yoda and Grover, so no wonder. (Also did Fozzie, true, but Grover was almost a dead ringer. Caroll Spinney did Oscar.)

#24 6 years ago

Prepare your down voting finger but I actually loved episode 1. The opening scene, while having alot of corny dialogue, was awesome when it came to Jedi knights doing their thing. Light saber battles galore in that episode.
The light saber battles in episode 7 were pathetic, it was like a couple of grade schoolers in a stick fight.

#25 6 years ago

Rogue one was bad ass. Any true SW fan that didn't like needs to go rewatch it and check themselves

That said, empire is and always will be the best SW movie. Rogue One is a close second though - followed the SW story line very well even with the action and development. People who think it was slow should rewatch all the SW movies.

#26 6 years ago

IMG_6019 (resized).JPGIMG_6019 (resized).JPG

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

More like Grover. Frank Oz did both Yoda and Grover, so no wonder. (Also did Fozzie, true, but Grover was almost a dead ringer. Caroll Spinney did Oscar.)

Frank Oz was also Miss Piggy. And Fozzies name comes from "F. Oz", a play on Frank Oz's name.

#28 6 years ago

I'm honestly surprised the poll has more the new hope and empire

I cant pick, I always said empire is my favorite but some days I enjoy the journey of new hope a bit more.

who here still watches them on laserdisc like me

#29 6 years ago

Pinisde is just a giant nerd forum so isn't this basically a forbidden political thread?

#30 6 years ago

Empire is a better movie than Star Wars...

But Star Wars is the best one...without it, there is no Empire.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Empire is a better movie than Star Wars...
But Star Wars is the best one...without it, there is no Empire.

Take that wonderfully deductive logic and faultless reason else where, it doesn't belong on Pinside

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Rogue one was bad ass. Any true SW fan that didn't like needs to go rewatch it and check themselves
That said, empire is and always will be the best SW movie. Rogue One is a close second though - followed the SW story line very well even with the action and development. People who think it was slow should rewatch all the SW movies.

Great minds think alike. Finally someone who agrees with me

ESB always #1. Rogue One & ANH are 2A & 2B. ROTJ is #3. That's all that really matters. TFA is really a letdown on repeat viewings, it's just a meh nostalgia remake. They missed the mark, and the new characters (besides Rey) really aren't that interesting. And the prequels are just flat out bad movies.

I'm withholding expectations for TLJ, as Mark Hamill's performance will make or break this movie . The Han Solo movie just seems like a bad idea in the first place, as the young actors will always be compared to Harrison Ford & Billy Dee Williams. Is a Han Solo origin story even a story that needs to be told?

#33 6 years ago

All I want to see is a Boba Fett solo film. That's a dream come true for me. So many ways it can be done, since his backstory is basically a blank slate.

I'd be happy to see an origin movie, where the story is told of the man who killed the young clone Boba Fett from the prequels, stole his Mandolarian armor & claimed the title of the most ruthless bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Or they could place the film between ESB & ROTJ, and tell the story of how Boba Fett managed to deliver Han Solo in carbonite to Jabba the Hutt, while every classic Bounty Hunter in the galaxy (Bossk, Dengar, IG88, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, Cad Bane, etc) tried to outwit Boba & claim the Solo bounty for themselves.

Or they could make a Bounty Hunter team-up movie with the characters mentioned above & go on some crazy mission for fortune & glory!

JUST GIVE ME MY DAMN BOBA FETT MOVIE DISNEY!!!

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Best musical score, A New Hope.

Sorry, but got to disagree with you there. The music in Star Wars borrows a lot from other sources. The opening theme is a lot like the opening to Kings Row (1942), the first scene with the Blockade runner and Star Destroyer comes from Mars from the planets by Holst. Lots of takes from Stravinsky's Rites of Spring early in the film as well.
Empires music is a lot more original. Even some of the themes in RotJ are pretty good (except for that Damned Ewok theme) like the emperors theme.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Sorry, but got to disagree with you there. The music in Star Wars borrows a lot from other sources. The opening theme is a lot like the opening to Kings Row (1942), the first scene with the Blockade runner and Star Destroyer comes from Mars from the planets by Holst. Lots of takes from Stravinsky's Rites of Spring early in the film as well.
Empires music is a lot more original. Even some of the themes in RotJ are pretty good (except for that Damned Ewok theme) like the emperors theme.

I agree that Empire has the best music, even if it does miss out on Cantina Band, the Jawa theme, the Battle of Yavin and the medal presentation. The Imperial March (no, it's not in A New Hope), the asteroid field, Yoda's theme, the Battle of Hoth and the ending music more than compensate.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Doesn't matter how derivative it is (all of John Williams' stuff is derivative - most of Star Wars sounds like Holst's The Planets)...if the music in the first movie wasn't as good, I guarantee the movie wouldn't have been the success it was. Also, the New York Philharmonic is performing the music in sync with Episodes 4-7; Episode 4 was the only movie to sell out in 15 minutes. There's a reason for that. If they put the music to Empire in the new game, I probably wouldn't even recognize it outside of the opening theme.

But, of course, all art is subjective and I respect your opinion.

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

All I want to see is a Boba Fett solo film. That's a dream come true for me. So many ways it can be done, since his backstory is basically a blank slate.
I'd be happy to see an origin movie, where the story is told of the man who killed the young clone Boba Fett from the prequels, stole his Mandolarian armor & claimed the title of the most ruthless bounty hunter in the galaxy.
Or they could place the film between ESB & ROTJ, and tell the story of how Boba Fett managed to deliver Han Solo in carbonite to Jabba the Hutt, while every classic Bounty Hunter in the galaxy (Bossk, Dengar, IG88, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, Cad Bane, etc) tried to outwit Boba & claim the Solo bounty for themselves.
Or they could make a Bounty Hunter team-up movie with the characters mentioned above & go on some crazy mission for fortune & glory!

Maybe Boba Fett is really Snoke. We only saw him fall in the sarlacc so we don't know if he died.

#38 6 years ago

Saw Star Wars (A New Hope) in the theater in 1977 and it was nothing like I'd ever seen before. None of the films that followed could have the same effect. It will always be the best to me.

1 month later
#39 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I have to say, I never got into Rogue One, thought it was okay, but I completely agree with you about a spin off Bounty Hunter movie, i.e. Solo/Boba Fett. The possibilities ....
I wonder who they would cast as Han Solo? And that would be great if Ford did a Cameo!!

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from TheBigDog:

I wonder who they would cast as Han Solo?

Alden Ehrenreich...already filming

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-star-wars-is-the-best?hl=jlebowski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.