(Topic ID: 148902)

Which Speaker solution gets a better result in a DW - FF or Homebrew?

By Clnilsen

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Excluding money and time, which would get a better result for sound - Flipper Fidelity or a Homebrew Speaker Setup in a Doctor Who”

• Fipper Fidelity - Time Expander restored to Factor 15. 1 vote
    25%
  • Homebrew - Quick Ace! Lend me a hand with this! 3 votes
    75%

(4 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 8 years ago

I've read most of the threads on both creating your own replacement speakers in the B/W games, as well as the quality of the Flipper Fidelity system, and I am still on the fence of what to do in my DW. While I don't mind putting in the time and money for either solution, I'm still on the fence about the FF system for a few reasons:

1) I keep thinking I can get a better result with custom speaker components, but admittedly I hear nothing but good things about the FF kit in terms of engineering and component quality. I am comfortable with the technical aspects of creating my own, and I don't mind cutting a speaker panel to put in larger speakers (have an extra already) in the backbox if that gets a better result as well.
2) On the flip side, I'm not certain how much quality there is to "improve" really in the underlying DW sound bites anyway. If there isn't much quality to go after, there's some appeal in getting the FF kit to just drop in as a solution since it really won't matter much.
3) I will probably at some point spring for a Pinsound board. Not sure how much that make a difference.
4) I have no desire for an external subwoofer (which I also don't think would make a difference with the DW sound clips.

I'm sure if we were talking about IJ or TZ there might be some consensus on this, but I'm just not sure how much there is to improve here in this game. Would appreciate any thoughts or experiences....

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

My home brew set up is better. But sound quality on pre dcs isn't that great and the flipper fidelity or pinball pro kit is a huge improvement. If you don't know what you're doing, your home brew solution will be worse. It takes very specific components to maximize on the old single amp in a predcs game. Don't bother with backbox on this game. Just update the sub.

#3 8 years ago

I put a external sub on my Who and it made all the difference. Nothing compares for price.

#4 8 years ago

Many of us hate having an external sub and want the game to be self contained.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Many of us hate having an external sub and want the game to be self contained.

Why?

#6 8 years ago

For me at least, it's a combination of clutter and complexity. It's something else to power/turn on, and it's another box to have (especially since my pin is in a small room, and I use the space underneath for storage)

#7 8 years ago

I can speak for myself, having a kit made for you eliminates the trial and error, possibilities of incorrectly wiring and damaging something. So to get a complete kit, with everything needed, plug and play for under $150 is hard to beat. Unless you enjoy the process and time spent on making your own. I suppose it also depends on how much extra time and money you have.

I am of course bias, knowing the amount detail, time, and care that goes into our kits.

You can always try both as well.

Greg
www.pinballpro.com

#8 8 years ago

I make my own speaker kits for my own machines. But I recommend pinball pro to others that need help. I think $80 for a sub only for dr who is cheap enough for a drop in kit with vol control knob.

1 week later
#9 8 years ago

I know you don't want to go this route, but an external sub on DW makes a huge difference. Those sonic booms rock!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

£ 110.00
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-speaker-solution-gets-a-better-result-in-a-dw-ff-or-homebrew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.