(Topic ID: 169199)

Which solid state machine has the lowest ($) value?

By embryonjohn

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 119 posts
  • 53 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by arcademojo
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

16105951_1410357888994837_4527338146593317308_n (resized).jpg
    20161027_091233 (resized).jpg
    20161027_091100 (resized).jpg
    20161027_082140 (resized).jpg
    20161027_082057 (resized).jpg
    20161027_083737 (resized).jpg
    20161027_082153 (resized).jpg
    Raven alt trans (resized).jpg
    20161027_081908 (resized).jpg
    20161027_082435 (resized).jpg
    roy clark (resized).jpg
    20160422_085617.jpg
    20160422_085611.jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    101_0605 (resized).jpg
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

It was easier for me to sell a couple of beaten-to-hell EMs in the same amount of time.

Makes me wonder about the cheapest flipper EM games... I hear people laughing about Big Ben a lot but I've also seen a 'rare' Stock Car with a restored + cleared playfield and cab sit for weeks at $150...

#52 7 years ago

What about Williams Phoenix? Picked that up cheap years ago and had a hell of time getting what little money I spent on it back. Fully working too. ($400 I think)

#53 7 years ago

My vote goes to my kings of steel $500 it didn't even sell at the estate sale I got it after the sale then my brother in law fixed it up a bit

20160422_085611.jpg20160422_085611.jpg

20160422_085617.jpg20160422_085617.jpg

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Makes me wonder about the cheapest flipper EM games... I hear people laughing about Big Ben a lot but I've also seen a 'rare' Stock Car with a restored + cleared playfield and cab sit for weeks at $150...

Wish I saw that! :O

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Seems like its whichever one I have for sale at the time...

Hahaha, isn't that the darn truth about anything you sell these days!

#56 7 years ago

An actual REAL solid state pinball machine?

As previously mentioned, Vacation America by Chicago Gaming.
    (Otherwise the honor goes to Zizzle, as this is also solid state, but I don't even consider this a pinball machine)
    Kings of Steel is an incredible machine next to this title (and a good backglass to boot).

Even a fully working run of this title is worth $400, and this is a later model solid state!
    This is the same cost of a solid EM (non-collectible title).
    Only 530 games were made for a reason.
    Originally marketed near $3000, but most sold for much less.
    The few owners left that have them may argue different, but the rest went into landfills.
    It is not a "collector's piece" in any way shape or form.
    It actually has a lot in common with Stern's future SM "The Pin" Version 2.0, in terms of direction for cost saving measures.

The game board and power design was fine, but it had WAY TOO MUCH reliance on cheap opto sensors for switches.
    Additionally, if you had trace failures on the underside playfield boards, the game was toast.
    If the LEDs or alpha numeric display burned out, it was toast.
    Connector failure was another problem.

Most people never even knew how to provide maintenance to the game, unless it was a distributor that sold the game directly.
    GI and insert lamps electrical voltage was "reversed" from most modern style games (GI was 12v) which meant you needed to read the manual or just constantly burn out bulbs from being completely ignorant.

Not to mentioned, repetitively annoying sounds, and bad playfield artwork.

The backglass was pretty good though, but it would have been better if they had actually licensed from National Lampoon.
    If someone wants to sell me theirs, I will buy the glass for $200, and you can take the rest of the game to the dump.
    I need one of these backglasses for my collection, but eventually one will show up to buy, unless someone throws a beer bottle through it first like the second Rocky movie.

It was not designed to operated in homes for more than a few years, unless rarely played.
    This game is about 10X above in quality in comparison to Zizzle machines but not much more.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That surprises me. Between the art package and decent gameplay for the time (even though the rules were lacking), I've always heard folks express interest in it.

It surprised me too, honestly, considering my game was in pretty decent condition. In the same amount of time, I was able to sell my 1969 William's Suspense, and a 1970 Straight Flush with little hassle.

Maybe I was selling to the wrong market. I sold them before I knew this site existed, and used language in my ad that would appeal to the casual, non-pinhead buyer.

#58 7 years ago

I'd say it's Fascination's "The Entertainer" possibly the cheapest SS pin and most ironic title for pinball in one.

roy clark (resized).jpgroy clark (resized).jpg

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from VacFink:

I'd say it's Fascination's "The Entertainer" possibly the cheapest SS pin and most ironic title for pinball in one.

Yeah, but that's a cocktail pin, does not count.

.. though I would like to have one just for the cheesy factor.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

An actual REAL solid state pinball machine?
    As previously mentioned, Vacation America by Chicago Gaming.
    (Otherwise the honor goes to Zizzle, as this is also solid state, but I don't even consider this a pinball machine)
    Kings of Steel is an incredible machine next to this title (and a good backglass to boot).
    Even a fully working run of this title is worth $400, and this is a later model solid state!
    This is the same cost of a solid EM (non-collectible title).
    Only 530 games were made for a reason.
    Originally marketed near $3000, but most sold for much less.
    The few owners left that have them may argue different, but the rest went into landfills.
    It is not a "collector's piece" in any way shape or form.
    It actually has a lot in common with Stern's future SM "The Pin" Version 2.0, in terms of direction for cost saving measures.
    The game board and power design was fine, but it had WAY TOO MUCH reliance on cheap opto sensors for switches.
    Additionally, if you had trace failures on the underside playfield boards, the game was toast.
    If the LEDs or alpha numeric display burned out, it was toast.
    Connector failure was another problem.
    Most people never even knew how to provide maintenance to the game, unless it was a distributor that sold the game directly.
    GI and insert lamps electrical voltage was "reversed" from most modern style games (GI was 12v) which meant you needed to read the manual or just constantly burn out bulbs from being completely ignorant.
    Not to mentioned, repetitively annoying sounds, and bad playfield artwork.
    The backglass was pretty good though, but it would have been better if they had actually licensed from National Lampoon.
    If someone wants to sell me theirs, I will buy the glass for $200, and you can take the rest of the game to the dump.
    I need one of these backglasses for my collection, but eventually one will show up to buy, unless someone throws a beer bottle through it first like the second Rocky movie.
    It was not designed to operated in homes for more than a few years, unless rarely played.
    This game is about 10X above in quality in comparison to Zizzle machines but not much more.

Very interesting. I had never heard of Vacation America. They made a TNT Amusements video last year featuring that game.

2 months later
    #61 7 years ago

I think you mean Kings of Right Target. It is a shame that it's such a dull pin because the artwork is phenomenal. Really it just gets old instantly, no spice.

1 month later
    #62 7 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I think you mean Kings of Right Target. It is a shame that it's such a dull pin because the artwork is phenomenal. Really it just gets old instantly, no spice.

A case of, "You get what you pay for overall."
    Hence, a $500 machine.
    The backglass and MPU-35 boardset complete is worth more than $500 alone now.

I will share one small other tidbit of useful information for future potential owners of this game.
    The game design was solid, only the ruleset caused the misfire.

But...

What many people do not know is several owners took it upon themselves to decompile the game EPROMS and rebuilt the ruleset.
    The "one shot" target game concept disappeared.
    We are at a point now, most of the early era games are fixable, such as games like Embryon.
    Much as already started, some other games were also modified.

I don't recall them ever publishing their modified code due to the "Attack of the PPS Lawyers" and a big FU to several specific people.
    The code has stayed safely between other Bally collectors and probably never will be publicly released.
    Unfortunate example which probably will not change in the near future.
    There are some pretty smart pinball enthusiasts out here, none of which want anything to do with shenanigans.

This are actually getting a bit worse in other areas such as Stern trying to control the "mod market" with their games in order cash in on the continued craze. It is just pissing people off further.
    There is simply too much meddling with copyrights, and it should not need to be so harsh on games that are over 30 years old.

#63 7 years ago

A case of, "You get what you pay for overall."
    Hence, a $500 machine.
    The backglass and MPU-35 boardset complete is worth more than $500 alone now.
    I will share one small other tidbit of useful information for future potential owners of this game.
    What many people do not know is several owners took it upon themselves to decompile the game EPROMS and rebuilt the ruleset.
    The "one shot" target game concept disappeared.
    I don't recall them ever publishing their modified code due to the "Attack of the PPS Lawyers" and a big FU to several people.
    The code has stayed safely between other Bally collectors and probably never be released.

That's it, you have done it now! Expect a PPS C&D letter coming your way soon. He owns everything you know!

#64 7 years ago

Maybe my Monte Carlo ranks lower than my kings of steel

20161027_082435 (resized).jpg20161027_082435 (resized).jpg

20161027_081908 (resized).jpg20161027_081908 (resized).jpg

#65 7 years ago

Stern Wild Fyre is down there..

#66 7 years ago

It is funny because I see Raven posted here a lot but if you can get past the art Raven isn't a bad playing machine.

#67 7 years ago

I've picked up three of these over the years and they were all hard to sell at any price.

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from embryonjohn:

Shit...
    Forgot about Raven

Quoted from Cornelius:

Poor Raven. The female Rambo gets no love.

She doesn't, but the game truly does just have a horrible PF layout. Ramp that you never hit, pops blocking the stand ups, etc. I had one a long time ago when I first got into the hobby, and actually was able to get a pretty decent price for it with the alt translite when I moved it. At least it made the game pleasant to stare at. Kinda looks like Tera Patrick.

Raven alt trans (resized).jpgRaven alt trans (resized).jpg

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

No one has mentioned the Atari games? Tough to get more than $300 for those.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

Most of the time when they pop up, they aren't working. When they are working & shopped, I've seen them sell in the $600-$900 range.

Superman can get a pretty penny...and Airborne gets a little. Atari made other games than those two? LOL.

Middle Earth is pretty horrendous, which is a shame because the art isn't all that bad. You can usually find that game pretty cheap. Other than that, I would have to go with Time Warp or World Cup. Pushing into alphanums, agreed that Vacation, Spring Break and Hard Body can be found cheap, and equally suck.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from mbaumle:

I tried to sell my decent Stern Lectronamo a little while back. Everything was rebuilt on it, and it worked. I had a really hard time getting rid of it even at $300.

Max, you didn't get down to $300 for me, or I would have taken it for that!!! Your game was pretty nice, and I didn't think the gameplay was that bad at all. I do prefer my Stern Dracula though.

#71 7 years ago

Cleopatra

2 weeks later
    #72 7 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

Maybe my Monte Carlo ranks lower than my kings of steel

I'll take that off your hands!!!

#73 7 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I'll take that off your hands!!!

$700 come and get it has topper pm me for details if interested here's a couple more pix

20161027_082153 (resized).jpg20161027_082153 (resized).jpg

20161027_083737 (resized).jpg20161027_083737 (resized).jpg

20161027_082057 (resized).jpg20161027_082057 (resized).jpg

20161027_082140 (resized).jpg20161027_082140 (resized).jpg

#74 7 years ago

From my own personal experience, Gorgar, Phoenix, Hot Tip, Lazer Ball, Time Zone 2000, World Cup........hmmm...,almost all Williams games.

John

#75 7 years ago

Will throw in gotham pool table for additional $200 to make it worth your travels 39×79 inside rail to rail and 49×88 overall

20161027_091100 (resized).jpg20161027_091100 (resized).jpg

20161027_091233 (resized).jpg20161027_091233 (resized).jpg

#76 7 years ago

I'd say world cup soccer (early williams, not bally), or stern memory lane. I bought a working memory lane for $150 a few years back wanting to use it for a retheme. Ended up gutting some parts out of the playfield, sold the boards, donated the cabinet, tossed the very flaky backglass in the garbage. That game is such a turd it wasn't worth re-theming.

#77 7 years ago

Just about any Williams system 3 & 4 games.

#78 7 years ago

I had a real tough time moving my Williams Lucky Seven for $300

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

Just about any Williams system 3 & 4 games.

Pokerino does not go for much, but I worked on one a couple of years ago, and was pleasantly surprised by its gameplay. It was kind of like a widebody Joker Poker.

As far as lowest value games add GTB Dragon or Torch, Bally Freedom, Williams Millionaire (as far as Sys11s go), Atari Space Riders, and Stern Stingray. Also, most any soccer themed game goes for less than anything else.

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Pokerino does not go for much, but I worked on one a couple of years ago, and was pleasantly surprised by its gameplay. It was kind of like a widebody Joker Poker.
    As far as lowest value games add GTB Dragon or Torch, Bally Freedom, Williams Millionaire (as far as Sys11s go), Atari Space Riders, and Stern Stingray. Also, most any soccer themed game goes for less than anything else.

Really? I've seen SS Freedom go for not bad prices, and I've been looking for a torch for a while...

#81 7 years ago
    Quoted from Gott_Lieb:

Yeah agree with you on the soccer games. Williams World Cup Soccer is probably the lost value game out there. Even Disco Fever has a few fans because of theme. Had a guy offer me a Got Dragon for $350 working but didn't feel like taking the hour drive to get there.

#82 7 years ago

Those home editions for games like Fireball only get about $150. But I'm sure like the cocktail games they will be considered a novelty.

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Those home edition Fireball cocktails they will be considered a novelty.

#84 7 years ago

there are so many early SS games that can be had for $200-300 there are too many to list. If you know where to look, willing to drive, and know how to repair and get non working games working. 100's of titles to choose from.

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

Really? I've seen SS Freedom go for not bad prices, and I've been looking for a torch for a while...

This was about 5-6 years ago, but I picked up a gorgeous Torch relatively cheap, and sold it for low $400 working. It was really nice too! Olympic themed games fall under the same category as soccer games. None sell for that much.

Every Freedom I've seen was dirt cheap compared to other Bally chimers.

#86 7 years ago

I wouldn't pay anything for a GTB Spring Break. And I'd balk if you'd try to give one to me.

I'll take a Disco Fever though due to the campiness factor. But I'm not paying much.

I've seen Tri Zone sell quickly and for a decent price in KC. I think one reason is I've had one on location for years and a lot of people have played it and enjoyed it. So they realize it is a fun, simple game. If you have a chance to pick up a cheap Tri Zone, do so. It is fun.

#87 7 years ago

You're crazy if you think Gorgar would be in the same category as say Williams' World Cup.

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

You're crazy if you think Gorgar would be in the same category as say Williams' World Cup.

Call me Crazy then. Gorgar is a game I fully stay away from as there too hard to get rid of. Last one I had was a struggle to get $500 out of and then I ended up getting it back and had to sell it again......ugh.

John

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Call me Crazy then. Gorgar is a game I fully stay away from as there too hard to get rid of. Last one I had was a struggle to get $500 out of and then I ended up getting it back and had to sell it again......ugh.
    John

I had no problem sell 3 of them at $800 a piece.

#90 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Gorgar is a game I fully stay away from as there too hard to get rid of

I wouldn't want one in my house for artwork alone. Call me religious.

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from arcademojo:

I had no problem sell 3 of them at $800 a piece.

I'll sell you all the ones I ever get for $500 and then you can resell them at a $300 profit. Deal ??

John

#92 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

I'll sell you all the ones I ever get for $500 and then you can resell them at a $300 profit. Deal ??
    John

If you weren't so far away I'd take ya up on that.

#93 7 years ago

Let me start off by saying I like flash and plan on buying one.

If that doesnt sound crazy enough for you guys,
    You all forgot to mention a game that I owned for 8 years because I liked it so much
    TRIDENT.
    They rarely come up for sale but when they do the seller is always ashamed.

#94 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballAir:

Let me start off by saying I like flash and plan on buying one.
    If that doesnt sound crazy enough for you guys,
    You all forgot to mention a game that I owned for 8 years because I liked it so much
    TRIDENT.
    They rarely come up for sale but when they do the seller is always ashamed.

I'd actually like to pick one of those up

#95 7 years ago

I really liked it.
    Stupidly simple but a lot of fun to play when dialed in and with the tilt set kinda tight.

#96 7 years ago

I agree that Gorgar is a about an $800 game. Maybe your location is the issue, because I think Gorgar can fetch that price all day (depending on condition and all that...)

#97 7 years ago

Crickets on my pretty decent Black Jack so I'll add that to the running. Loved playing it at PAPA, grabbed one and shopped it out, now when I want to rotate it I'm not even getting lowballs...

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from westofrome:

Crickets on my pretty decent Black Jack so I'll add that to the running. Loved playing it at PAPA, grabbed one and shopped it out, now when I want to rotate it I'm not even getting lowballs...

I'd lowball you if you were closer...

#99 7 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I'd lowball you if you were closer...

Serves me right for picking up a game with six wishlisters. You going to Allentown?

#100 7 years ago

What about Brunswick's 'Elvis-with-an-afro' game, Alive! ?

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-solid-state-machine-has-the-lowest-value/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.