(Topic ID: 226068)

Which should I buy: Deadpool or Metallica?

By BeeGeeMtl

7 months ago

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Tuna_Delight
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

44358246_10156840304701563_2004517045848244224_n (resized).jpg

#1 7 months ago

So this is gonna be my first NIB (new in box) pinball machine purchase.

I live in Canada, so the difference in price between a brand new Deadpool Pro ($7,299) and a brand new Metallica Pro ($7,199) is negligible, as it's only $100, so please ignore any pricing elements in your response (although I am curious about possible trade/resell value afterwards).

I like playing both machines although I have to play Deadpool a little more this week, but on the whole, which machine do you think would make more sense to purchase for my mancave where folks come to have fun and enjoy some pinball every now and again?

I'm obviously leaning toward Metallica because of the gameplay and I do love the Sparky getting fried at the top, but the Deadpool cabinet looks a hell of a lot better, and it plays really smoothly, at least for me.

Love to hear some pros/cons to both! Thanks in advance!

#2 7 months ago

Metallica

deadpool is pretty shallow can beat the 3 fights to the mini wizard mode in 1 ball like 50% of the time, even without rubbers on the outlanes (as it is shipping like)

its a fun game but either wait and see on code development or go with the sure thing great game

#3 7 months ago

I vote Metallica rules are much better and deeper it has lots of cool toys and features. I also think Metallica shoots better than Deadpool.

#4 7 months ago

Metallica easily. You don't play the cabinet and my Metallica never gets old to look at or play.

Also, Metallica is always the correct answer imo.

1 month later
#5 6 months ago

Metallica just because before long there won't be new ones. You likely will be able to get a new deadpool 2 years from now.

#6 6 months ago

i own both but i would go with metallica now and see how deadpool code turns out.

#7 6 months ago

MET is complete and butter smooth, Deadpoop is a unfinished clunkfest.

#8 6 months ago

Metallica. Great game. Lots of humor. Already a classic.

#10 6 months ago

Don't own a Deadpool (yet) but my Met Prem will probably never leave my collection.

#11 6 months ago

MET

So much better in so many ways.

#12 6 months ago

Just to complicate your decision a little more, here are a few things to consider...

1. You really need a color DMD for Metallica, it’s awesome. So add ~$400 for that.
2. It’s the “End of the Line” for NIB Metallica, but DP will be running for a while.

I haven’t made up my mind on DP yet, but Metallica is a modern classic. Mine is never leaving.

#13 6 months ago

Metallica was the last great Stern. Phenomenal game in every respect. Deadpool is pretty awful.

#14 6 months ago

Met is best but curious why DP is so awful?
Theme? Gameplay?

#15 6 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Metallica was the last great Stern. Phenomenal game in every respect. Deadpool is pretty awful.

Lol what? Twd and iron maiden are both incredible and came after Metallica. But I agree Deadpool is underwhelming, yet Stern have made some great games since then.

#16 6 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Met is best but curious why is DP so awful?
Theme? Gameplay?

It's certainly not theme. That and the art are the best attributes!

#17 6 months ago

Deadpool sucks!

#18 6 months ago

Metallica, save up a bit more and get a premium.

#19 6 months ago

Metallica hands down! IMDN is the best Stern game out right now though, just sayin.

#20 6 months ago

Metallica by a mile. Look around first to see if you can get a used Metallica Premium for similar money. If not the Pro version is excellent.

#21 6 months ago

Metallica between the two of these. I agree with Who-Dey, IMDN is one of the best Stern pins.

#22 6 months ago

Who-Dey, you need to change your avatar to Eddie.

#23 6 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Who-Dey, you need to change your avatar to Eddie.

Im actually considering changing it because between the kneelers and all of the dumbass rules in the NFL now days, i dont find watching football much fun anymore. An Avatar change could be coming soon Vino!

#24 6 months ago

Agreed. MET and not even close. Got to play both premium and pro Deadpool recently. Not impressed at all. I don't really like that right ramp designed. Smooth on some games but clunky on others. Gameplay just seemed average and didn't find anything that humorous. Often annoying. MET is already a classic and was in production for years. Gameplay is really balanced and just gets more fun the more you play it. I have a pro and always a blast to play. Find one used that already has good set of mods and save a bunch. Plenty out there. Like others said, colordmd is a must so factor that into cost.

#25 6 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

#26 6 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Met is best but curious why DP is so awful?
Theme? Gameplay?

DP is just a mish-mash of disconnected weirdness. It neuters the DP theme by making it G-rated. The 80’s game sound FX don’t fit and makes it seem like a rando homebrew. The music isn’t choreographed well (a general Stern issue since they dumped the incredible David Theil). Lil Deadpool is a weak toy and annoying, and aside from him there are no other features really. The video game fighter concept doesn’t work at all. When Multiballs start they aren’t exciting. The loop-ramp shot works half the time.

Met Prem/LE has a ton of fun and satisfying features. It has simple surface fun with Sparky, Snake, in-line drops and rising cross, hammer lock, and even the ramps feel awesome. Then it’s got crazy nuance and depth to learn as well. Excellent use of music/sound fx/lights choreography....the best color GI FX IMO. Met is just solid and infinitely replayable. I’m OK if I never play DP again.

Quoted from jorant:

Lol what? Twd and iron maiden are both incredible and came after Metallica. But I agree Deadpool is underwhelming, yet Stern have made some great games since then.

TWD is fine but it has horrible toys. A shampoo bottle bash toy and a wall that opens up to reveal another wall.

I respect Maiden for being well designed by Elwin with layout & code in mind for a cohesive experience, but the lack of features puts it below a phenomenal game like Metallica in my book.

#27 6 months ago

Do any of you guys own a DP/LE????MET is ok,as soon as you get the snake shot down! My right Katara ramp is as smooth as ice on mine!!!!I have played a lot of MET,and I have to go with a DP/LE!! You might not now be able to get one,or afford it,so a used MET (with Mods) is best likely a good fit you,good luck,have fun.B safe!!!!

#28 6 months ago

You should jump on that Pinball Refinery MET now on sale here for 6800.!! It would be hard to get another like this one,and if I was closer,I would add this to my line up!!!!

#29 6 months ago

I like both, but for mine Deadpool is better
Metallica is kinda repetitive, just keep hitting the four toys over and over till EOTL is ready
I like the way Deadpool draws you in, but hey I love the Guardians of the galaxy and the Kiss pinball, so what the hell do I know

#30 6 months ago

if the thought of listening to Metallica over and over again excites you...get Met.

#31 6 months ago

I like them both, Deadpool is a lot of fun and so is Metallica. I’m not a fan of Metallica music, but still like the game. Deadpool is a bit unique, code is still evolving.

#32 6 months ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

Do any of you guys own a DP/LE????MET is ok,as soon as you get the snake shot down! My right Katara ramp is as smooth as ice on mine!!!!I have played a lot of MET,and I have to go with a DP/LE!! You might not now be able to get one,or afford it,so a used MET (with Mods) is best likely a good fit you,good luck,have fun.B safe!!!!

So your logic as to why people like MET better is because they cant afford DP? Terrific cope logic.

#33 6 months ago

I own both machines, and I like them both. If I was to pick one though I’d definitely go MET. As someone already mentioned, there’s a beautiful MET premium with tons of upgrades for sale for 6700. You might consider it.

#34 6 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Excellent use of music/sound dc/lights choreography....the best color GI FX IMO.

I agree with this 100% but deadpool isn't a bad game at all I actually prefer it and while I did like my time owning Met Pre it got tedious damn quick and eventually I would just stop mid game as I'd had enough. A little too easy and the call outs are brutal but what else is new with Stern although they did a great job with Maiden in that respect and thats the game you should buy. Its better than Met and DPool. Good Luck sir

#35 6 months ago

Add $600 cdn for a color dmd and your at $7800. You can get a used roadcase w/cdmd in the 9k cdn range. I'd go that route personally if cash isn't a issue

#36 6 months ago

Looks like this guy already went with Deadpool. Metallica is superb though, Won't ever leave my collection either.

#37 6 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The 80’s game sound FX don’t fit and makes it seem like a rando homebrew.

It's not that bad, I don't mind it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

The music isn’t choreographed well (a general Stern issue since they dumped the incredible David Theil).

I completely disagree here. Jerry has done absolutely fantastic sound/music work for Stern on games like GB and DP.

Rob

#38 6 months ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

It's not that bad, I don't mind it.

I completely disagree here. Jerry has done absolutely fantastic sound/music work for Stern on games like GB and DP.
Rob

I think Jerry’s a good musician, but his stuff doesn’t quite have the right pinball magic & energy that Theil’s sound packages have. Especially in the sound FX. Like GB’s really annoying beeping timers...I don’t think Theil would have done something like that.

#39 6 months ago

He makes a post asking people which game he should buy and MET wins by a landslide and he goes and buys Deadpool lol. Live and learn i guess.

#40 6 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

He makes a post asking people which game he should buy and MET wins by a landslide and he goes and buys Deadpool lol. Live and learn i guess.

Both are good games, but have different levels of appeal. I like DP and may get one eventually too. Yeah, when in doubt buy both!

Rob

#41 6 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'm a newbie and wanted different people's opinions on WHY to purchase one vs the other. Ultimately as most of you would likely agree, when you're gonna spend between $5-10k on a pinball machine, it's a very personal decision that the person making the purchase, has to be happy with! I played both machines for weeks on end, but liked DEADPOOL more, especially for my setting, which is a "fun mancave" for friends and such. Different strokes for different folks. PS: I've had DP for over a month now and no buyer's remorse here at all! I play it every night and it's a f*ckin blast! It's still pretty hard so I keep playing to improve. Everyone who has come over to play it has also LOVED IT! Great party pin. PSS: I also met/interviewed Deadpool himself (Ryan Reynolds -- although he was only Van Wilder" back then) about 15 years ago, so that made the whole thing even more META for me.

44358246_10156840304701563_2004517045848244224_n (resized).jpg
#42 6 months ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

I'm a newbie and wanted different people's opinions on WHY to purchase one vs the other. Ultimately as most of you would likely agree, when you're gonna spend between $5-10k on a pinball machine, it's a very personal decision that the person making the purchase, has to be happy with! I played both machines for weeks on end, but liked DEADPOOL more, especially for my setting, which is a "fun mancave" for friends and such. Different strokes for different folks. PS: I've had DP for over a month now and no buyer's remorse here at all! I play it every night and it's a f*ckin blast! It's still pretty hard so I keep playing to improve. Everyone who has come over to play it has also LOVED IT! Great party pin. PSS: I also met/interviewed Deadpool himself (Ryan Reynolds -- although he was only Van Wilder" back then) about 15 years ago, so that made the whole thing even more META for me. [quoted image]

Well you did the right thing by playing both games, thats the best way to make a informed decision for sure. Whats right for some people isnt right for others. I hope you keep on enjoying your new game for years to come! Congrats on your new game.

#43 6 months ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

I'm a newbie and wanted different people's opinions on WHY to purchase one vs the other. Ultimately as most of you would likely agree, when you're gonna spend between $5-10k on a pinball machine, it's a very personal decision that the person making the purchase, has to be happy with! I played both machines for weeks on end, but liked DEADPOOL more, especially for my setting, which is a "fun mancave" for friends and such. Different strokes for different folks. ...

It's okay man - you don't need to justify your choice. You made the wrong one, but it happens. Not the end of the world.

Enjoy your Deadpool!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Des Moines, IA
$ 7,199.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Flip N Out Pinball
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Warren, MI
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
...redshiftLED
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Muskegon, MI
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 35.00
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 299.00
Lighting - Interactive
...redshiftLED
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside