(Topic ID: 248130)

Which Shaker kit? Pinsound or Pinshakers?

By toasterman04

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3945 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4693 (resized).JPG
    da9 (resized).jpg
    something_something.jpg
    DSCN3439 (resized).JPG
    pin sound.pdf (PDF preview)

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 4 years ago

When Pinshakers made the announcement that we can finally enjoy the amazing rumble of a shaker in so many of our games; I bit. Like so many pinheads I have no common sense when it comes to purchasing and when a new mod comes out I WANT IT NOW!!
    Now that I see Pinsound has also released a similar product it is making me wonder the benefits of both, and which product to go with. I am no electronics expert just a passionate pinhead that spends buttloads of money on mods to make great games even greater.

#2 4 years ago

Review the features/price of both and decide. One you need the Pinsound the other you don't.

#3 4 years ago

yes but from what i read, on the pinsound website it says you DO NOT need a pinsound board, it is a separate product. so from what I see :

Pinsound
    - $189
    - 12 vibration patterns ie rumble, impact, explosion
    - extra ports for other mods at no additional costs
    - not sure of shipping costs
    - currently not as many game titles - yet more released weekly
    - easier installation??

Pinshakers
    - $199
    - additional cost for more 12V ports (doesn't interest me)
    - is there vibration patterns for Pinshakers
    - shipping seemed fair
    - Game titles quite extensive
    - hook up and installation looks a little more involved

those are just some points i have been pondering...

#4 4 years ago

On the Pinsound website:
    The Motion Control is a shaker kit (control board + shaker motor) designed to be easy to install. The Motion Control will be connected to the PinSound board (version 1 or PLUS), on the extension port.

https://www.pinsound.org/motion-control/

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

yes but from what i read, on the pinsound website it says you DO NOT need a pinsound board, it is a separate product.

From PinSound: "We are also finalizing a new product to connect a Motion Control Shaker Kit without a PinSound sound board: for those of you who just want the Motion Control Shaker Kit without the enhanced sound!"

So you may not need a PinSound board to plug the Motion Control board into, but you'll still need *something* to plug it into. *Something* which they're apparently still developing. (Presumably, that *something* will be cheaper than a PinSound board, but don't expect it to be free.)

#6 4 years ago

ahhhhh... see... thats why i posted. I cant read a website properly..

#7 4 years ago

i guess i was going by this and to me it says it is all you need to install it...

pin sound.pdfpin sound.pdf
    #8 4 years ago

I am leaning towards pinshaker, first to post/announce and his game selection is superior so far. $10 price difference is not large enough to sway me and I am sure he will match pinshaker price if push comes to shove. I would imagine shipping within states would be faster and cheaper. I would assume pinsound will be having to cross the pond.

#9 4 years ago

This is a shaker without any gimmicks!
    Controlled by the old PinSound-Board.

DSCN3439 (resized).JPGDSCN3439 (resized).JPG

#10 4 years ago

For me it's about how you'll fire off the shaker. Pinshaker is fired by flashers or bumpers. From what I understand with PinSound you can associate it with any sound callout, which I think will be much more customizable. I already have a pinsound card so I'll probably go that route.

#11 4 years ago

That's right.
    You can use the PinSound-Board to fire your custom made shaker motor.
    The newest development is a PWM-Controller, but in my opinion not needed and oversized.

#12 4 years ago

ya,

I always think i want the customization, but then never really utilize the options like intended. I think pinshaker gives you a little more options than flashers and slings, i think anything off the driver board like a VUK or something would be neat... in the shadow is what i am thinking.

I dont have a pinsound board, and althou i like the idea of having variations to the vibration patterns, i too will probably stick with pinshakers for my first too anyway... i see this being as addictive as colordmds.... i have those in all my machines... looks like shakers are next!

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I am leaning towards pinshaker, first to post/announce and his game selection is superior so far.

Guess it's going to depend on how a person wants to trigger the shaker, and how granular they want to get as far as customizing those triggers.

Differences from what I can see:

Pinshakers:You can turn on or off up to 8 individual triggers for the shaker. Comes with 2 different wiring harnesses (you only using 1 at a time) - and you use whichever harness gives you access to the set of triggers you want to use.

In the AFM example Robert posted (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-the-pinshakers-universal-plug-amp-play-shaker-motor-kit/page/2#post-5115452) it looks like you would use Harness "A" to trigger off of different flashers, or Harness "B" to trigger off of solenoids (slingshot, pop bumper, etc.)

But it's an either/or situation - if you wanted to use the ramp flashers and the pop bumpers as triggers, it seems like you're SOL.

PinSound:Triggered by sound calls (at least if you're connecting through their PinSound board.) Set a trigger for a low haptic rumble when Rudy starts snoring in Funhouse, and a different shaker intensity (or none at all) when he's talking.

PinSound says they'll release configs every week for different games, but if you've used a PinSound board you know the real fun (and frustration) is in making your own configuration.

Initially, as I already have a PinSound in the machine I want to add a shaker to, I'll likely go with PinSound as the customization options seem far greater. Of course if there's an instance where a flasher or solenoid trigger might be more appropriate, why not a 2-shaker machine?

#14 4 years ago

Oops. Edit, not quote.

#15 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

if you wanted to use the ramp flashers and the pop bumpers as triggers, it seems like you're SOL.

ohhh this i didn't know....

yet still with the price of needing a pinsound board on top of the shaker, i think pinshaker is the better choice for me.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

Guess it's going to depend on how a person wants to trigger the shaker, and how granular they want to get as far as customizing those triggers.
    Differences from what I can see:

Pinshakers:You can turn on or off up to 8 individual triggers for the shaker. Comes with 2 different wiring harnesses (you only using 1 at a time) - and you use whichever harness gives you access to the set of triggers you want to use.
    In the AFM example Robert posted (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/introducing-the-pinshakers-universal-plug-amp-play-shaker-motor-kit/page/2#post-5115452) it looks like you would use Harness "A" to trigger off of different flashers, or Harness "B" to trigger off of solenoids (slingshot, pop bumper, etc.)
    But it's an either/or situation - if you wanted to use the ramp flashers and the pop bumpers as triggers, it seems like you're SOL.

PinSound:Triggered by sound calls (at least if you're connecting through their PinSound board.) Set a trigger for a low haptic rumble when Rudy starts snoring in Funhouse, and a different shaker intensity (or none at all) when he's talking.
    PinSound says they'll release configs every week for different games, but if you've used a PinSound board you know the real fun (and frustration) is in making your own configuration.
    Initially, as I already have a PinSound in the machine I want to add a shaker to, I'll likely go with PinSound as the customization options seem far greater. Of course if there's an instance where a flasher or solenoid trigger might be more appropriate, why not a 2-shaker machine?

But what if you do not have a Pinsound board already? How does it trigger? If you dont have the sound board then I assume you have to use it just like the pinshaker and trigger off of flashers, etc...

Makes sense, if you have a pinsound board already then it is a no brainer to go with pinsound I would think.

#17 4 years ago

i thought with pinsound you NEED the board to make it work. they are making theirs work off sound not driven components.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

But what if you do not have a Pinsound board already? How does it trigger? If you dont have the sound board then I assume you have to use it just like the pinshaker and trigger off of flashers, etc...

No idea. They're creating some kind of interface that would allow you to use it without a PinSound board, but no details. But yeah that'd be my guess as well, some kind of feed off of flasher/solenoid signals.

#19 4 years ago

i thought with pinsound you NEED the board to make it work. they are making theirs work off sound not driven components.

that is what I thought. so you have to have the pinsound board which is like $400 or something. You would have to have it to trigger off of sounds I would think.

#20 4 years ago

Quoted from woody76:

that is what I thought. so you have to have the pinsound board which is like $400 or something. You would have to have it to trigger off of sounds I would think.

something_something.jpgsomething_something.jpg

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

[quoted image]

so it would not be sound activated then without a pinsound board or are they saying they are creating a way to do the sound activation without the current pinsound board? it would just trigger off of flashers and such just like pinshaker?

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

so it would not be sound activated then without a pinsound board or are they saying they are creating a way to do the sound activation without the current pinsound board? it would just trigger off of flashers and such just like pinshaker?

I would think it would be driver based at that point. If you wanted it to react to sound you would need a sound board.

#23 4 years ago

I'm going with Pinshakers.

#24 4 years ago

I would think it would be driver based at that point. If you wanted it to react to sound you would need a sound board.

It will provide the same features as if you were connected to a PinSound board. But without a PinSound sound board

#25 4 years ago

Nice to see both of these hit the market. I have a few pinsound boards so will try their product on those, pinshakers has sys 11 compatible. I plan to try a couple in Pinbot, F14 and perhaps Swords of Fury or Space Station. Now if Pinsound could do an 11B sound application so Top Gun sound can be added to f14...

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Makes sense, if you have a pinsound board already then it is a no brainer to go with pinsound I would think.

That's the direction I went. I like the idea of triggering off of the sound calls, and the ability to micro-manage the duration and intensity of each shake is huge.

(This is normally where I'd give them some gentle grief about this thing coming out "in the near future" for the last 4+ years, but considering I've been working on my audio mix for 4+ years, I won't. Unless I just did.)

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

That's the direction I went. I like the idea of triggering off of the sound calls, and the ability to micro-manage the duration and intensity of each shake is huge.
    (This is normally where I'd give them some gentle grief about this thing coming out "in the near future" for the last 4+ years, but considering I've been working on my audio mix for 4+ years, I won't. Unless I just did.)

I know and you're right, it took a very long time... Anyway, can't wait for you to play with it

1 week later
    #29 4 years ago
    da9 (resized).jpgda9 (resized).jpg
    3 weeks later
    #30 4 years ago

Thinking of putting a pinsound shaker into STNG at some point. Anyone tried it already?

#31 4 years ago

One important difference is how the shaker is powered. Pinshakers utilizes it’s own power supply that turns on and off with the game so you aren’t stressing your boards. Not sure how pinsound shaker is powered, but I don’t see any external power supply included with their kit so I assume it’s powered off one of the boards.

I can also say the quality of the shake is very good, a low rumble, not like you feel with some newer stern shakers, which vibrate the hell out of the game. The intensity of the shake is also controllable with a dial.

You can have up to 8 triggers at one time and 16 total comprised of solenoids and flashers, which I think is plenty. I only utilized three triggers on my wh20 and tspp and felt that was enough. Installation is simple, plug and play, and customer support is top notch. Install shouldn’t take more than 30 mins.

We are a distributor for Pinshakers. I was so impressed with the capability, easy of use and install, I wanted to help get these out to people. So nice to have a shaker option for wpc games as well as whitestar and system 11. Shipping is fast via usps priority so we can get it to people in 2-3 days.

If you want one, here is a link.

https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fwilliamsbally-wpc-full-shaker-motor-kit

#32 4 years ago

I own 2 pinshakers kits and could not be happier with them. Top quality, easy install, and it is my favorite mod now.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

As I understand you can order a customized harness, you can choose flashers and low solenoids, up to 8 possible combinations.

(Have my Pinshakers now for a few weeks, first few days you look for the exact amount you want -not too much, not too little -, after that you just play the pin and you don't touch it anymore. Adjusting is done in the backbox, where the controller-board is, easy access, don't have to raise the playfield )

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from dashv:

Thinking of putting a pinsound shaker into STNG at some point. Anyone tried it already?

I've ordered, but don't believe they're shipping yet. They do have a short video posted on Facebook of one installed in a TAF.

1 week later
    #35 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

I've ordered, but don't believe they're shipping yet. They do have a short video posted on Facebook of one installed in a TAF.

Ordered one as well. My pinsound+ should get here next week but the shaker kit and board are “backordered”.

We’ll see!

1 week later
    #36 4 years ago

Got shipping notification this morning for my PinSound Motion Control kit. Congrats to the brothers for getting this out - looks to be a fantastic kit.

Seriously looking forward to this, as the stock shaker support in GNR is underwhelming. (Of course, that means I've now run out of excuses to finish my PinSound GNR mix.)

#37 4 years ago

Have my PinSound Motion Control Kit in hand (Ontario, Canada). All I can do to not skip work to install it. (Problem may be though, that there is no Profile for their flag ship PinSound Machine: STTNG!! )

Installation Documentation is Visual and understandable as usual, but there is no "Optimum Placement" logic provided (there is a target area towards top left of cabinet bottom for WPC).

Not much documentation on the required Firmware update required though...presumably it's just download and install latest firmware from their Product Help page (but no reference is made to MotionControl support). PinSound 1 firmware Version is c19.09.03 (12 Sep 2019) "MMM, FRESH!"

Wish me luck!

#38 4 years ago
    Quoted from websherpa:

Have my PinSound Motion Control Kit in hand

I've got one on the way for my STTNG as well! Please keep us updated as I know I'll have a bunch of questions. Thanks!

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from BriPin:

I've got one on the way for my STTNG as well! Please keep us updated as I know I'll have a bunch of questions. Thanks!

Can’t wait to hear the results! Most likely going to add one to STTNG or DW later on this year

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from BriPin:

Poop, went to install it in my STTNG, I have a Pinsound 1 (V1.4 which is reportedly supported) and there is no Ext. 1 port that I can find on the Pinsound board to hook the MotionControl up to.

I have a support email into Timothée to see if there is an undocumented hook-up method for the older board as it woll be hard (at this moment) for me to afford an upgrade to Pinsound+ (even though I would LOVE to, I LOVE my Pinsound 1 on STTNG).

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from websherpa:

Poop, went to install it in my STTNG, I have a Pinsound 1 (V1.4 which is reportedly supported) and there is no Ext. 1 port that I can find on the Pinsound board to hook the MotionControl up to.
    I have a support email into Timothée to see if there is an undocumented hook-up method for the older board as it woll be hard (at this moment) for me to afford an upgrade to Pinsound+ (even though I would LOVE to, I LOVE my Pinsound 1 on STTNG).

If you want to sell me your PinSound, I’ll help you buy a +

#42 4 years ago

Pinshaker in hand for Pinbot, it’s just about back together. Will report after install, nice to have an option on the earlier titles.

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from websherpa:

to see if there is an undocumented hook-up method for the older board

The shaker manual online says to connect to "Extension" on Pinsond V1". Do you not have that?

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from BriPin:

The shaker manual online says to connect to "Extension" on Pinsond V1". Do you not have that?

Thank you BriPin, got an email from Nicholas at PinSound and I am indeed going blind. The Extension port was right in front of me on the v1.4 board, but right in the middle and I guess I was looking all around the edge. I have a head cold, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Unfortunately the STTNG Firmware update isn't coming out until next week, so I am waiting unless I get a chance to hack together my own using the Editing Software.

#45 4 years ago

Setback: continuous ball loading loop.....what caused it is not yet sourced, but suddenly I think my STTNG subway ball diverter has gone kablooey. I can’t now remember whether I ever did the tie-back mod (I’ve had the machine a long time, but it sat at a friend’s house for years and hasn’t had my “full restore” treatment yet.

So will need to spend time today doing fuse, power and Aux 8 testing.... sigh.

But I love it! (I am a “fixer” - love fixing and modding more than playing at times.). I have time anyway until the PinSound firmware update includes the first STTNG shaker profile (coming next week).

#46 4 years ago

Hi all. I ordered the pinsound shaker for Tommy. How long are you all waiting until the unit is shipped?

I’m ready. Already reprogrammed my sound package onto a thumb drive, which was seemingly easy, and so I’m eager to see if it was in fact as easy as it seemed.

I’m going to also try to use the special effects hookup at some point and add discrete mini-fans to pop on when the propellers spin.

Love the pinsound board, and I suspect their shaker will be equally excellent.

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from websherpa:

Setback: continuous ball loading loop.....what caused it is not yet sourced, but suddenly I think my #STTNG subway ...

Update: Crisis averted! Doh! I must have re-installed CPU J1 Ribbon onto Aux 8 Board on only one row of pins. Wouldn’t be the first time. (Rolling my eyes)

Reseated correctly and no damage and correct voltages, meaning that the PinSound Board isn’t stealing power from the 12v circuit in idle (although the shaker itself is not yet tested). (I’ve already updated and tested the Power Driver Board, replacing caps, testing rectifiers and updating board connectors to molex as needed.)

I DID discover that the STTNG tie-back fix has not been done yet though, so although it’s not broken, I will be doing that update today.

That and possibly looking at creating my own simple firmware update for a quick PINSOUND Shaker test.

I’ve been lazy AND lucky with this machine. My last STTNG was a rolling ball of regular issues.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from volkdrive:

Pinshaker in hand for Pinbot, it’s just about back together. Will report after install, nice to have an option on the earlier titles.

Looking forward to your review on the Pinbot.

#49 4 years ago

Well, I finished the PinSound MotionControl Shaker install and upgraded the STTNG tie back (and fixed a couple other things while I was in there), and then took a stab at using PinSound Studio Pro to add some shaker effects to the enhanced OST for STTNG and it was AWESOME! Subtle, not overly clanky like some of the early Stern Shaker effects, but nice to be able to vary their intensity, the ramp up and down and length of time of the effect.

I think I over-did it a little on my first effort but it was pretty neat being able to "orchestrate" the shaker rumbles, haptic, explosions, crashes and so on - and so easy to do. There is a video explanation here:

What I am wondering now is what it is that is being done for each machine as a standard in their firmware updates and how that will work with a personal orchestration. I haven't looked at the resulting files yet to see if there is any further way to make coded changes outside the PinSound Studio Pro.

But hats off to the PinSound guys, it works a treat and doesn't appear to stress the 12v supply in any way that I can detect with my re-built Power Board.

#50 4 years ago

What was the situation with Pinsound Shaker - did it require the Pinsound sound card or not?

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-shaker-kit-pinsound-or-pinshakers?hl=shepp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.