(Topic ID: 248130)

Which Shaker kit? Pinsound or Pinshakers?

By toasterman04

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3945 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4693 (resized).JPG
    da9 (resized).jpg
    something_something.jpg
    DSCN3439 (resized).JPG
    pin sound.pdf (PDF preview)
    There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

What was the situation with Pinsound Shaker - did it require the Pinsound sound card or not?

Some info on that in posts 5 and 24 this thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-shaker-kit-pinsound-or-pinshakers

#53 4 years ago

I installed my Pinsound shaker last night. I didn't like the idea of mounting the control board in a cramped spot on the right side of the head so I moved the large caps up and installed the board above the 8 driver board. Easy install and a ton of fun playing with the options in configuring the shaker effects. I'd love to see a completed sound/shaker package offered for download as well. Highly recommended!

IMG_4693 (resized).JPGIMG_4693 (resized).JPG
    #54 4 years ago
    Quoted from Nepi23:

What was the situation with Pinsound Shaker - did it require the Pinsound sound card or not?

PinSound MotionControl (Shaker and a relay control) does currently require a Pinsound 1 or PinSound + as far as I know. It would require some alternate way to be able to recognize sound clips in order to be able to work without the main board.

A PinSound board is a great MAJOR update to many older machines though (IMHO).

#55 4 years ago

STTNG fans, a new firmware for PinSound was released with built-in Shaker Controls for the "Original" STTNG Sound Package Port (I haven't tested them "all" yet, and have a question in to PinSound, but I believe the firmware version is targeted only to that one package.)

That being said, the use of the Shaker MotionControl is well done for this STTNG Original Orchestration Sound Package, it even has some will timed "music" shakes in it.

It doesn't however look like the firmware MotionControl package is available for decompiling or it doesn't represent itself on the "Original" Sound Package when viewed in PinSound Studio Pro. That is a shame because it would be nice to learn from a base how and where certain effects are being used in order to apply the same principles in a custom MotionControl Package.

I don't quite know how / where to delve more deeply into the programming behind creating PinSound Sound and MotionControl Packages as I would really like to but there doesn't appear to be much information from other "custom packagers" nor PinSound out there (unless I am looking inthe wrong places).

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from websherpa:

STTNG fans, a new firmware for PinSound was released

Thanks for the heads-up. Check out the Easter Egg when you boot the machine. The motor itself plays the STTNG theme! Pretty cool!

I too would love to be able to trigger the shaker in sync with the music and hopefully that'll be in a future update.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from BriPin:

Thanks for the heads-up. Check out the Easter Egg when you boot the machine. The motor itself plays the STTNG theme! Pretty cool!
    I too would love to be able to trigger the shaker in sync with the music and hopefully that'll be in a future update.

I heard it also, but not at first. Funny enough I didn't hear it until I changed the boot sound to something else quieter (and voice call that was funny), just by chance and the two happened to go together.

When I get a chance I am trying to plot out and duplicate the effects in the firmware as some I would apply across to my own shaker orchestrations. The firmware version is very good, but it's not the be all and end all for someone wanting to "tinker". I have also asked for more customizations, ideally to be able to change all the presets.

#58 4 years ago

Installed Pin Shakers kit in Pinbot. Hooked to pops and sling. It has a nice rumble when the ball is caught in the pop bumpers. Nice easy install too, about a half hour. Easy to follow directions and well made product.

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from volkdrive:

Installed Pin Shakers kit in Pinbot. Hooked to pops and sling. It has a nice rumble when the ball is caught in the pop bumpers. Nice easy install too, about a half hour. Easy to follow directions and well made product.

Be cool if it was hooked up to ever time you advance a planet..

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from websherpa:

STTNG fans, a new firmware for PinSound was released with built-in Shaker Controls for the "Original" STTNG Sound Package Port (I haven't tested them "all" yet, and have a question in to PinSound, but I believe the firmware version is targeted only to that one package.)
    That being said, the use of the Shaker MotionControl is well done for this STTNG Original Orchestration Sound Package, it even has some will timed "music" shakes in it.
    It doesn't however look like the firmware MotionControl package is available for decompiling or it doesn't represent itself on the "Original" Sound Package when viewed in PinSound Studio Pro. That is a shame because it would be nice to learn from a base how and where certain effects are being used in order to apply the same principles in a custom MotionControl Package.
    I don't quite know how / where to delve more deeply into the programming behind creating PinSound Sound and MotionControl Packages as I would really like to but there doesn't appear to be much information from other "custom packagers" nor PinSound out there (unless I am looking inthe wrong places).

Did you have time to test if it works with other packages?

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from shepP:

Did you have time to test if it works with other packages?

I only did some minimal testing and at first I didn't think so, but then one of the "alternative packages" I breezed through did throw on the shaker very minimally, however I didn't stay on the package long enough to really test it AND it WAS a package that I had edited for a shaker and then removed the shaker cues to test. Maybe I accidentally left in one of the shaker cues. So I do need to re-test.

I did ask Nicolas at PinSound and he gave me an answer that sounded like the default shaker code should be applied across all packages with the same audio cues, but to be honest his answer was a little ambiguous and I really need to re-download the original alternative packages to make sure I am working from a fresh mix. Maybe by taking "out" my own shaker cues it marks the package NOT to play the default shaker cues. I'll experiment when I can. For some reason pinside.com doesn't notify me of replies to this thread so there is a delay in my picking up on new posts.

1 week later
    #62 4 years ago
    Quoted from websherpa:

I only did some minimal testing and at first I didn't think so, but then one of the "alternative packages" I breezed through did throw on the shaker very minimally, however I didn't stay on the package long enough to really test it AND it WAS a package that I had edited for a shaker and then removed the shaker cues to test. Maybe I accidentally left in one of the shaker cues. So I do need to re-test.
    I did ask Nicolas at PinSound and he gave me an answer that sounded like the default shaker code should be applied across all packages with the same audio cues, but to be honest his answer was a little ambiguous and I really need to re-download the original alternative packages to make sure I am working from a fresh mix. Maybe by taking "out" my own shaker cues it marks the package NOT to play the default shaker cues. I'll experiment when I can. For some reason pinside.com doesn't notify me of replies to this thread so there is a delay in my picking up on new posts.

I haven't updated in a while, but PinSound configuration (was) done by a single master text configuration file, and additional files inside each sound effect folder. Have you looked inside the folder structure to see if there are files which include the shaker instructions?

3 months later
    #63 4 years ago

Bumping this as I’m thinking about one for IJTPA that already has pinsound.... thoughts?

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Bumping this as I’m thinking about one for IJTPA that already has pinsound.... thoughts?

I added the Pinsound shaker to my Tommy. Obviously, I have a Pinsound board. If all of your file configurations are up-to-date, super easy to add shaker effect to any particular sound that accompanies an action. Really easy. Very easy to go back in and readjust.

#65 4 years ago

Yeah I was leaning towards it but they appear to be out of stock

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

Yeah I was leaving towards it but they appear to be out of stock

Well that sucks...

4 months later
    #67 3 years ago
    Quoted from websherpa:

Not really a fan of the default shaker settings for STNG. slings and bumpers shaking is way overkill. I'd rather it be more tuned to in game events like phaser fires, asteroid explosions, and the shuttlecraft crashing. Those sorts of things.

I think I am going to have to do that myself in pinsound studio.

I like shake to have a purpose like in Attack From Mars and Mideval Madness. and not just be there for the sake of being there.

Have you done anything more with making your own personal shake settings? Maybe we could collaborate? I have to admit I love my STNG but won't claim to know it inside and out.

3 years later
    #68 5 months ago

I just ordered some PinSound Motion Control shakers -- one for Tron and one for Attack from Mars. Let's see how it goes, so I thought I'd bump this post.

2 weeks later
    #69 4 months ago

Quick question

Installing my 1.06 on Addams Family

I have this connector

Any ideas on placement ?

Thanks

IMG_3945 (resized).jpegIMG_3945 (resized).jpeg
    There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-shaker-kit-pinsound-or-pinshakers/page/2?hl=shepp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.