Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by whthrs166
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3E052C35-AFE0-434A-A99D-08383B2A0706 (resized).jpeg
    #1 5 years ago

I’m looking to add another machine. Was thinking getting either MBr or AFMr. Would be the classic versions. I’ve played AFM but not MB. Which one in a small 4 game collection? Or neither? I was told MB bores quickly.

#2 5 years ago

Both are fairly repetitive and shallow as far as code goes. But both are incredibly fun. If I had to choose one CE I’d go monster bash. If it was the LE I’d go AFM as that Martian topper is a whole new level of fun.

#3 5 years ago

MB. Or LOTR or STpro.

#4 5 years ago

Circus Maximus Kingpin remake!!!

#5 5 years ago

I’ve been looking for a Lotr but no one wants to sell me one and I’m tired of looking at a empty space.

#6 5 years ago

Is MMR off the table? Much better game than the other two IMO. If no MMR, then AFM and then MB. No real bad choice there.

#7 5 years ago

AFMr but get the special edition.

#8 5 years ago

I’m trying to stay around 6500. Would love a MMr but for 8k I think I’m going to stay away from it.

#9 5 years ago

Get a SMVE. AFM and MB get boring faster when you own them.

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpinnerAddict:

I’m trying to stay around 6500. Would love a MMr but for 8k I think I’m going to stay away from it.

Yeah I can kind of understand that. It would be nice if they would bring MMR more in line with the classic price point. You really can’t beat MB for $6000.

#11 5 years ago

If you are coming to midwest gaming classic in mikwaukee (or have a friend that is) I will have some "show games."

Afmr ce with color upgrade 5500
    Afmr se 6800
    Mbr ce 5500
    Mbr se 6800

Games must be used for the duration of the show and need to be on and playable for the entirety of the show.

PM me for more details.

If paid for before the show begins, I can also ship it to you the week after the show.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from KingPinGames:

If you are coming to midwest gaming classic in mikwaukee (or have a friend that is) I will have some "show games."
    Afmr se 6800
    Mbr ce 5500
    Mbr se 6800
    Games must be used for the duration of the show and need to be on and playable for the entirety of the show.
    PM me for more details.
    If paid for before the show begins, I can also ship it to you the week after the show.

Amazing vendor here, highly recommend. Even answers texts on sundays.

#13 5 years ago

AFM >> MB

just imo.

#14 5 years ago

AFMr classic show game with color at 5500?
    Make that call.

#15 5 years ago

Afmr se 6800
    Mbr ce 5500
    Mbr se 6800
    PM me for more details.

great deals.

IMO the large screen of the SE is worth the cost and it's hard for me to look at my old normal size DMDs.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Vino:

AFMr classic show game with color at 5500?
    Make that call.

I was going to say the same thing. Grab Kingpins AFM CE with color for $5500 and don't look back!!!!

#17 5 years ago

The afmr wth color upgrade for 5500 is a awesome deal this day in age

#18 5 years ago

Really? You think so? After 3 full days at Midwest it could have a 1000 plays on it.

#19 5 years ago

Its a personal choice....in my mind it would be AFMRLE, MBRLE, and MMR.....their all highly rated for a reason

#20 5 years ago

The shows I have had games at were Friday starting around 12:00 and ending Sunday either 3 or 5 PM. Shut down around midnight each night. Usually 4-600 plays in that time. I bought my GB Prem at a show beside a few dimples, looked great. I think it was around 500 plays Most plays were a SS Joker Poker, cause of the shorter game times.

#21 5 years ago

All personal preference. I’ve owned all of them and have MMR and MBR currently, but I prefer playing STLE.

#22 5 years ago

If you are patient you may find that the upcoming BK3K fits your needs.
    Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the SPIKE system, regardless of theme, mechanisms, or operation.

#23 5 years ago

Really? You think so? After 3 full days at Midwest it could have a 1000 plays on it.

I got a $300 off show special on the MBr SE that was at the Louisville Arcade Expo. It got 691 plays in it's 3 full days of the show. Getting a $100 discount for each day of play seemed like a pretty good deal to me. Of course, if it would have been my first pin, my first NIBish pin or my grail pin (in which case I would have sprung for the LE) I might not have cared for the deal....but the "show deal" suited me just fine for my situation. Plus it seems the MGC and TPF deals are even $200 better.

#24 5 years ago

MB get stale very quickly.... I owned three and all have been sold.

MM is the deepest of the two with the mist toys but that comes with a price point.

IMO AFM is your best option and its a keeper at my house. I aslo owned three but each was sold to be replaced with another.

AFM gets my vote.

#25 5 years ago

Guess my choice

3E052C35-AFE0-434A-A99D-08383B2A0706 (resized).jpeg3E052C35-AFE0-434A-A99D-08383B2A0706 (resized).jpeg
    #26 5 years ago

Midwest gaming classic is technically only a 2 day show. Friday entrance is limited to those that lo purchased a "vig" (very important gamer) pass and then they only get to come in from like 5pm to 10pm. In the past the machines have ended up with between 300-350 plays for the weekend with non-stop play.

#27 5 years ago

Doubtful. Even with constant play for 12 hours a day, it will have 500-600 plays.

#28 5 years ago

Dude, AFMr with the color upgrade at $5500 isnt even a thought. Three years ago, a regular AFM from 1995 in pristine condition with a ColorDMD was $8200.

I haven't put 1000 plays on my AFM in 3 years. Others have already dialed in to reality as to how many plays AFMr might have on it after MGC. You need to make that deal.

Not even a question in my mind.

#29 5 years ago

I see most have chosen AFMr as what they would pick for themselves, but what about for kids and non pinheads? I am looking to replace one of my games with a machine I don't have to spend 15 minutes explaining the rules to someone just to watch them go cross eyed. It seems either AFMr or MBr would work in this case. As of right now I am leaning towards MBr because it seems as though there are more toys that will grab the attention of a non pinhead/child. Disclosure: I have played both, but only a hand full of times. It is hard to find places to play these games where I am.

#30 5 years ago

Big display is nice but brand new afm for $5500 is a great deal. That's like getting a pristine afm with colordmd. Getting 500 or 1000 should be no big deal. All games get old at some point. Once it's time to sell, you will get most of your money back. No brainer if you like AFM.

#31 5 years ago

A lot of those games played at the show will be very short in duration. It took at least 500 plays on my LE for it to get “ broken in”.

#32 5 years ago

I get you are hesitant to get a show game, but since $ is a factor getting one of these is a great buy......plus you are connected with a great dealer which is a huge bonus.

#33 5 years ago

This is a sick deal.

$1,200 off the "to your door" price for this game. It's also the best game -- by far -- of the three remade titles.

#34 5 years ago

I now have AFMrLE and MBrLE. If MM wasn't so similar to AFM, I would consider it but of the three, it's def the least interesting
    mainly due to theme.

As for the two - that is a hard decision. AFM is just so damn good and although simplier than MBr
    I would prob keep that over MB but I'm having a lot of fun with MB right now. People say MB is simple too but I'm not a great player
    so it's keeping me entertained.

I will say that the big display on MB is by far the best, easily beating AFM. Not getting
    the big display for MB would be criminal.

GL.

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

A lot of those games played at the show will be very short in duration. It took at least 500 plays on my LE for it to get “ broken in”.

can you explain broken in? thx

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

Common pin wisdom is that a new pin won’t really develop it’s “play” for the first 500 games.

You’ll see more air balls because targets are stiff and new, you’ll feel more spin on a fresh clear coat, the flipper rubber is a little too slick, the rings and post rubbers a little too dense... so after playing like a madman when it’s new the game will settle down and actually become more playable when it’s “broken in” like a pair of shoes becomes more comfortable after being worn for awhile.

#37 5 years ago

AFMR CE with Color Upgrade for $5500 is a no brainer. It won’t be available by the time the show is over. Just get some pictures and pictures of the potential clearcoat wear areas: SOL, Shooter Lane, Lock, Saucer Hole, Drain Hole. If there is some chipping started you could just put the Cliffies on it.
    The simple design also means that there isn’t a lot that can go wrong with it from use at a show.

#38 5 years ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

I can’t explain it mechanically. It’s a feel thing. Sort of like a car that just runs a little smoother after owning it for a couple of months.

#39 5 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

I can’t explain it mechanically. It’s a feel thing. Sort of like a car that just runs a little smoother after owning it for a couple of months.

I've never owned that car.

#40 5 years ago

I agree with everyone else AFMR at $5500 with color is a great deal, far better than any Stern Pro out there (yeah I went there).

That being said I LOVE the XL display in my MBRLE and would want that for any future remade game that it was offered for from CGC. With cost being an issue you should jump all over the AFMR deal.

#41 5 years ago

MMr should never have been 8k.

#42 5 years ago
    Quoted from HitLines:

MMr should never have been 8k.

False.

You have probably forgotten the insane money MMs were going for back then.

Not to mention it was first-time release for them and surely there were high start up costs.

The $8K price was a sound decision and I doubt they regret it.

#44 5 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

False.
    You have probably forgotten the insane money MMs were going for back then.
    Not to mention it was first-time release for them and surely there were high start up costs.
    The $8K price was a sound decision and I doubt they regret it.

As a NIB MMR owner I agree. The AFMr and MBr owners should thank us for paying forward the R&D costs including the DMD colorization we paid $400 for. You're welcome. Although MBr and AFMr might have forward paid the XL screen costs if that ever becomes an option for MMr owners. Let's call it a tie.

1 week later
    #45 5 years ago

Midwest gaming classic is technically only a 2 day show. Friday entrance is limited to those that lo purchased a "vig" (very important gamer) pass and then they only get to come in from like 5pm to 10pm. In the past the machines have ended up with between 300-350 plays for the weekend with non-stop play.

Just saw this. Slight tweak.

We're open Friday "Preview Night" just to people with tickets to that from 6-midnight. VIG is now our "full show pass".

Honestly, I'm trying to talk myself out of an AFM. I have too many games, but it is a screaming deal.

#46 5 years ago
    Quoted from 3pinballs:

can you explain broken in?

Scratched cabinet, busted play field glass, Beer Stains on the PF, No Lights, Coin Door wont stay closed and strange moaning noise coming from the lower cabinet. Also it might smell like burnt plastic and cigarette smoke!

#47 5 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

As a NIB MMR owner I agree. The AFMr and MBr owners should thank us for paying forward the R&D costs including the DMD colorization we paid $400 for. You're welcome. Although MBr and AFMr might have forward paid the XL screen costs if that ever becomes an option for MMr owners. Let's call it a tie.

I probably wouldn't have had the chance to buy a MM if it wasn't for you guys buying MMr. Thanks

#48 5 years ago

Okay... So I'm going to play the hypocrite card. Because, I own a MBr LE and I'm going to tell you to purchase AFM. The reason is simple. MB looks better, and the callouts and animations are a toss up between the two games. But, AFM is deeper and has more strategy to it.
    MB has 2 wizard modes and two multiball modes. Nothing else... You can stack franky... And I think you might be able to stack mosh pit... I don't know... But aside from that... Not much to do... And mind you. I love Monster Bash. I'm not bashing it. It's an amazing pin. I love the code and I love the game play and I don't think a game needs to be SUPER DEEP. Just deep enough and Monster Bash is deep enough.

But, AFM is better. Both games have a similar layout. And both games just nail their themes. I do think the flying spaceship is a really cool toy and I would say one of the best in all pinball.
    So AFM has martian mb, strobe mb, total annihilation mb, and normal 3 ball mb. What is really cool is Martian MB can be stacked with both animation and/or 3 ball mb. This has great strategy implementation. Also just the act of collecting smart bombs and knowing when to use them when you're going for martian MB can be the difference between mb starting and you draining out. I like to save a smart bomb just in case I have only one martian left and I drain. I hit the button and blammo martian dies and I get mb.
    Monster bash doesn't have anything close to that. Also AFM has a really cool video mode. I think one of the best as it totally fits the theme and is fun to play, but also it doesn't take forever to play. Its quick, but fun. MB doesn't have a video mode, and again this is one of the best ones ever.

And then lastly attack from Mars has the conquer the universe wizard mode. This is available once you destroy mars. And what is cool and different to monster bash is afm tells a story. Not a deep story. But, its still a nice touch. MB really doesn't tell a story. You just rock out and there is nothing wrong with that.
    With all these things above. I think AFM just barely edges out MB. Both are great. And I hope to get a AFM soon myself.

This is a minor edit... The inlane and outlanes for AFM also serve a purpose. You need to light all 4 to collect stroke of luck. With normal game settings collecting 10 gets you an extra ball to collect, but more importantly, just lighting all 4 gives you the stroke of luck lit for the scoop shot. The stroke of luck is what can reward you with various stuff. Points, video mode, extra balls, start attack wave, martian attack, lit lock, those kind of things... Very nice way to help you. Yes, the scoop in monster bash can reward you with similar stuff. But, not as often and not as good. Its more limited.
    And really the only thing you do with the inlanes is trigger phantom flip... Which can be good or bad... So... While its a bit minor. I think AFM uses the inlanes better and just gives you another way to strategize with the game, albeit a very minor one. But, again I think these differences add up and make AFM the superior game.

#49 5 years ago

I don't own any of the remakes anymore, but Monster Bash has the best "Mayhem" multiball of any game I have played. Mosh Pit is just a hoot! In order to get the most out of Mosh Pit (IMHO) you need:(for an original) Polk Audio Sub PS10, Prosound speaker upgrade, LED Spot Lights on the Slings and Mirror Blades. Just turn up the volume so the house is rockin. When you get Mosh Pit, The strobing of GI, blasting music and crowd screaming creates the best Mayhem Multiball! This is the big thrill for me when I play MB. Mosh Pit makes MB (original or remake) stand out from the rest.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-remake?hl=aahzz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.