Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Coz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which type of plunger do you like??”

• Traditional plunger - most Williams/Stern/JJP 63 votes
      90%
    • Launch button - MM, AFM 3 votes
      4%
    • Gun - T2, Indiana Jones, Shadow 4 votes
      6%
    • Other- give example or pic 0 votes

(70 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

31rJuUbbXdL._SL500_AC_SS350_ (resized).jpg
    6412231B-1CBD-48C6-B05A-A2FB469F6542 (resized).jpeg
    D46A28C1-7A6F-4DAA-904B-3B7C7E7954D1 (resized).jpeg
    C6280675-AC20-478A-8CAE-C1717DFFDB1E (resized).jpeg
    #1 6 years ago

What type of plunger do you like best on your pinball machine? Do you like the traditional type plunger like most Bally/Stern/JJP/Williams?? Do you like a launch button like MM or AFM?? Is a gun better, on T2, Indiana Jones, The Shadow??? Which is more fun??? Are there any other types you like?? Is one more enjoyable than the other?

#2 6 years ago

C6280675-AC20-478A-8CAE-C1717DFFDB1E (resized).jpegC6280675-AC20-478A-8CAE-C1717DFFDB1E (resized).jpeg

D46A28C1-7A6F-4DAA-904B-3B7C7E7954D1 (resized).jpegD46A28C1-7A6F-4DAA-904B-3B7C7E7954D1 (resized).jpeg

6412231B-1CBD-48C6-B05A-A2FB469F6542 (resized).jpeg6412231B-1CBD-48C6-B05A-A2FB469F6542 (resized).jpeg

#3 6 years ago

That “gun” lineup is kind of ridiculous, I forgot about Dirty Harry! Are there others? JD (?)

I don’t like the launch button really; I like shooter rods because of the added precision you need, kind of adds to the game.

#4 6 years ago

The worst part of the guns are the bazillion times you bang into them, OUCH!

#5 6 years ago

I like all 3 versions, I think my favorite might be the gun! I don’t know how many gun plunger games are out there, some data east/Sega games had them , even one stern in T3. Not sure how many b/w pins had them

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

The worst part of the guns are the bazillion times you bang into them, OUCH!

Yeah, that’s happened a few times. It does make it more difficult to move because of risk damaging the gun.

#7 6 years ago

I prefer just the regular rod type plunger with the auto shooter built in of course.

#8 6 years ago

My votes regular plunger incorporated with some type of skill shot.

#9 6 years ago

Although the gun is neat too because it actually means something with the game. There are definitely some games that I’m glad they went with the gun like The Shadow and IJ.

#10 6 years ago

I like the old style pull plungers. The buttons on MM and AFM are fine, but I miss the pull back.

#11 6 years ago

Skill Shots with push button ball launchers are laughable. Especially on games like AFM and MM. Why even bother? The Super Skill Shots are neat, and worthwhile, but not everyone knows how to activate them.

Still, push button launchers, I believe, were born out of the necessity to cut costs. Gun grips just add a cute little novelty, but they're really no different. The biggest benefit to them from a players perspective is that it allows the game to use virtual ball locks when playing multiplayer games.

Given that, I think the standard plunger with an autofire is the best combination. It autofires for ball saves and mulitballs, but still gives the player that romantic "pull back the plunger" feeling when playing.

#12 6 years ago

early Bally plungers that ended in a point sucked

#13 6 years ago

I'd rate this one #2.

31rJuUbbXdL._SL500_AC_SS350_ (resized).jpg31rJuUbbXdL._SL500_AC_SS350_ (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago

Don't forget desw "throttle" type launcher.

#15 6 years ago

regular one is better for some skill shots, but sometimes cool looking stuff is fine. love my fish tales, but that damn fishing rod i have hit my head on way too many times

#16 6 years ago

Well, I like the rod plunger because it adds another element of skill and the launch button because it adds other possibilities (like martian bombs). From an interaction point of view, gun/trigger launchers might be less fun, but they integrate very well with certain themes (like The Shadow, Indiana Jones, Dirty Harry, etc) and that's important too. I like all of them

#17 6 years ago

I like the tradtional plunger with the skillshot...

I will give props to DH with how they incorporated the gun with options for skillshots

#18 6 years ago

So, the traditional plunger seems to be the undisputed favorite

#19 6 years ago

On a similar note...mod the plunger or not? I have never had a custom one and never tried one either. Any thoughts? Iron Man mask, Golem’s head, or just the standard black handle?

#20 6 years ago

I like them all. However I change out all the standard ones with the ball type custom painted ones from Modfather.

Recently I bought LOTR it had Golem's head and freaked out my grandson so bad he won't go into that area in the basement. Ordered a new ball style one from Modfather getting today.

#21 6 years ago

I don't care for the molded head plungers at all.

but that's just like my opinion man

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from VillaThrills:

On a similar note...mod the plunger or not?

God no, keep it original.

I've always wondered what people do when players launch the ball by slamming the plunger when it's a clay figurine.

#23 6 years ago

I think it really depends on the game.

#24 6 years ago

Are there others?

Guns n Roses

#25 6 years ago

Standard old school plunger is pretty much the last vestige of the original pinball games built hundreds of years ago. They are a part of the game you can't replicate.

ONe of the smartest things Stern did was ALWAYS use a manual/auto combo plunger in their games, going back almost 30 years? (except T3 I guess?)

I can't think of any game that was improved by not having a manual plunger.

Some of the novelties like the IJ gun handle are great through.

#26 6 years ago

I only like a gun plunger if it is incorporated in the actual game play, like T2. If it is used solely for launching the ball then I would rather have the "typical" plunger. The button is third on my list, but if it means I'm playing pinball I guess it'll work.

#27 6 years ago

LW3, JP, BATMAN FOREVER.

#28 6 years ago

It would be a joke if machines that require an accurate plunge to start each ball had one of those buttons or guns.

#29 6 years ago

Still like the ol' manual plunger but the throttle control on Star Wars is a bit of fun

#30 6 years ago

So I see there’s not much love for the launch button. Probably the least fun way to plunge the ball

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Coz:

So I see there’s not much love for the launch button.

Nah. There are too many games where the plunge is one of the most important shots of the ball.

And where would New York City be if Roger Sharpe had hit a launch button while trying to demonstrate pinball as a game of skill in the shot that saved pinball for that city?

#32 6 years ago

Nothing like a clean,crisp,smooth launching traditional plunger. Which only one of my machines has.
    I would take the gun over a stiff, slow old school plunger any day. The ball launch button takes away a lot to me.

#33 6 years ago

Poll results: not many are fans of gun trigger plungers....traditional plunger for the win!

#35 6 years ago

My Op buddy prefers the buttons because kids can’t hang from them.
    If there is no real plunge skill shot, why bother with a plunger?
    Guns are cool if they are incorporated in the game somehow.

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

If there is no real plunge skill shot, why bother with a plunger?

Seriously? A proper plunge can set the tone for an entire ball, with or without skillshot.

A bad plunge can and will net an almost sure quick drain.

10 months later
    #37 5 years ago

Looks like everyone’s favorite way to plunge is a traditional plunger. I was recently thinking about this topic and wondering if a game like MM or AFM would be better with that? Sometimes I enjoy the launch button and a Gun on Indiana Jones and shadow, it’s nice to have different options

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-plunger-is-best?hl=deluge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.