(Topic ID: 331701)

which pins would have the highest BOM? (bill of materials)

By cait001

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by sparky672
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Which pins would have the highest BOM if being made today? Ignore other factors (like licensing,) just the materials costs.

I was thinking Judge Dredd, with it's larger playfield (wood price$) and metal wireforms.

(obviously Hercules, but besides Hercules and Bigfoot... And if you want to include the likes of BabyPac or Caveman, I'm gonna have to assume they'd use LCD and not CRT! The cost of getting a CRT production line started in 2023... yeesh)

#3 1 year ago

Williams Grand Prix and Bally Nip-It both have cabinets that are almost completely filled with parts. There is probably a couple pounds of silver in all those contacts.

#4 1 year ago

Multimorphic Weird Al would be my guess for highest BoM currently or historically.

#5 1 year ago

The Hobbit has to be up there.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

The Hobbit has to be up there.

I own a hobbit and a bunch of other games. I’m sure hobbit is up there, but my STTNG has way more in it in parts and mechs than my hobbit does.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from balzofsteel:

Williams Grand Prix and Bally Nip-It both have cabinets that are almost completely filled with parts. There is probably a couple pounds of silver in all those contacts.

yeah let's focus on pre-DMD era then since a DMD thread already exists.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Or post dmd

#10 1 year ago

Probably JJP POTC? May be the reason for abandoning production?

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

There is pre DMD in the other thread too.

LTG : )

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

Probably JJP POTC? May be the reason for abandoning production?

I’ve never owned a JJP POTC so I can’t speak to it.
    My guesses. Most expensive pure mechanical game would be Rockola Army Navy. Most expensive game to produce on the EM side has to be one of the Bally Bingo pins. Solid state I would think it’s Haunted House. Dmd is STTNG and overall is the multimorphic P3

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mundy53:

I own a hobbit and a bunch of other games. I’m sure hobbit is up there, but my STTNG has way more in it in parts and mechs than my hobbit does.

I also owned a Star Trek the Next Generation in the past. Take another look your Hobbit and tally up the mechs. I’d be willing to bet it’s got STTNG beat.

#14 1 year ago

Dialed in is a heavy pin w a lot of crap on/in it

#15 1 year ago

Please visit my thread on the topic, yes thank you everyone who pointed it out. My vote for highest pre-dmd goes to Haunted House or Banzai Run.

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

Please visit my thread on the topic, yes thank you everyone who pointed it out. My vote for highest pre-dmd goes to Haunted House or Banzai Run.

yeah I wish there was an easy way for me to close down this superfluous thread.
    Mods if you see this, shut 'er down
    (I sent a report)

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

I also owned a Star Trek the Next Generation in the past. Take another look your Hobbit and tally up the mechs. I’d be willing to bet it’s got STTNG beat.

Yeah all those individually controlled drops add up quick

STTNG is probably a better use of BOM than Hobbit, but that wasn't really the topic.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from cait001:

... the highest BOM if being made today?... just the materials costs.

BOM ("Bill of Materials") is just the list of parts and the quantity of each part, an inventory, not the cost/price at any particular point in time. I only mention the semantics because it matters for searching.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pins-would-have-the-highest-bom-bill-of-materials?hl=mundy53 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.