image-2.jpg
image-1.jpg
Backglass.gif
Laser_War.jpg
LAH.jpg
RG.jpg
tx_sector.jpg
aha.jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 13 years ago

vster23 had previously started a thread about pins with great artwork.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pins-have-the-best-artwork

Now, lets examine which pins have the worst artwork.

I'll start it off. Demolition Man (Williams). This is the sideart on the game. Nothing more gets your flipper fingers pumped, than an almost nude Sly Stallone.

I have to hide my Demo Man in a corner. I might have to move it into full view, when I get some ladies in the gameroom.

Hahaha!

DM_sideart.JPGDM_sideart.JPG

#2 13 years ago

I have to agree with you, that artwork is a little disturbing. My Demo Man pin is also in the corner and blocked on the other side by my Dredd machine.

#3 13 years ago

Waterworld, Big Guns, JM, LAH, WPT, BDK are some of my votes though BDK would be good if they took off all those supporting actors. But I think Shaq has to take the all time worst award.

#4 13 years ago

Shaq Attack. Hahaha!!!

Shaq.jpgShaq.jpg

#5 13 years ago

Gilligan's

#6 13 years ago

Gottlieb Genesis

#7 13 years ago

Do horribly disturbing photographs count as artwork? If so, no bad artwork thread would be complete without mentioning Raven:

Raven.jpgRaven.jpg

#8 13 years ago

A lot of the 80s era pins look horrible to me
must have been a transition time for pinball?
Like the old guard retiring and new guys just getting started.....
or something like that
1989 - Bad Cats
88 - Time Machine
86 - Gold Wings
84- Fire Power 2
83 - Q bert Quest
82 - Me & Mrs Pac Man
82 - Spectrum
80 - Skate Ball

#9 13 years ago

Wow.... I actually like the artwork for two of those titles on your list (Qbert, Spectrum)!

I think A LOT of the Premier series can qualify for horrible artwork... Some of those mentioned already, but I'll put Victory on there as well! We have a Indy 500 them, yet we have machine guns on the side of the cars!

#10 13 years ago

Yeah it's always a personal thing when it comes to artwork/taste

#11 13 years ago

I actually like the art on Big Guns its one of my favourites actually. I like Python's style of the cartoon/comic style overhead artwork eg. cyclone, Jokerz, Taxi, Pinbot among others. You can tell his definately from other designers. Thats what I feel makes it good, it is a destinct style. Pinball Circus's side art, heck even the playfield toys are all him, and you can tell.

But I think that Gottlieb/Premier really took a dive in the art dept in the mid 80's. I can't think of one that looks good. Raven, Spring Break, Hollywood Heat, etc. (but they do play good)

And recently Stern Rolling stones, looking at it makes Raven look beautiful. And stern has recently taken a cue from Premier on their photo backglass's/playfields.
It wasn't a good idea then, and isn't now.

#12 13 years ago

I have the luxury or having this beauty lingering around my garage from a game I made into a coffee table. I cringe every time I see it.

image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg

#13 13 years ago

I think Stargate is the only good looking Gottlieb I've seen. Haven't personally played many Gottliebs. Gold Wings is one I played the crap out of as a teen. Was local and extremely easy to pop due to the long ball times. I think it wouldn't be so horrible if it weren't for the purple/pink.

#14 13 years ago

Future Spa, can't stand that backglass.

#15 13 years ago

Nothing can be more ugly than LOTR cabinet atwork

#16 13 years ago

As much as I want to hate the "artwork" on Gold Wings, I can't.

The Maverick [?] dude's little coiffe isn't meant for us male players, but rather for the female players; dude is doing his best to channel the lead singer of A-ha - one of my guilty pleasure bands from the 80's.

The girl in the back on the bike, is sporting some serious Kelly LeBrock hair (classic Kelly, when she was a goddess in the 80's), and doesn't look that bad to be honest. Might want to get her away from fighter jet flames, after using all that Aqua Net hair spray.

Now that I think of it, its a shame Bally didn't license Wierd Science, instead of making a game called "Strange Science", and get my 80's goddess Kelly Lebrock on the backglass (maybe have her light up when you create her in your experiment).

Maybe have "feces Chet" or a "bra-helmet" wearing Robert Downey Jr on the backbox sideart? Haha.

gold_wings.jpggold_wings.jpg aha.jpgaha.jpg

#17 13 years ago

I also want to list TX-Sector with its oddball sci-fi [?] 1950's art, and blatantly ripped-off Superman movie font for the title, but the game is so "80's-cheesy" on top of being really fun maybe its fitting the translite be equally cheeseball.

Sadly no leg warmers, headbands, or leopard pants on the space people from TX-Sector.

tx_sector.jpgtx_sector.jpg

#18 13 years ago

I think almost all 80's gottlieb pins have terrible artwork. Mostly because of the non licenced ripoffs of movie/TV themes.

Bonebusters= Ghostbusters
Gold Wings= Top gun
Hollywood Heat= Miami Vice
Raven = Rambo
Genesis= Metropolis
TX sector= THX
Spring Break= ??? Any 80's teen movie, you pick.
Tag Team= WWF wrestling
Touchdown= NFL football
Victory= F1 racing?
And many more.

Seems like only Nightmare on Elm street, Super Mario, and Stargate are their only licenced pins in the 80's -90's -shutdown.

Actually, all now that I look at it all Premier pins are ripoffs and cheap imitations.
I guess they wanted to save money on not buying licences and thought no one would notice.

#19 13 years ago

oh wow I remember THK now

#20 13 years ago

I thought Skateball was OK...but Future Spa is down right sad. Always reminds me of Buck Rogers. When I see the artwork from bad pins of the 80s, I always start to recall how the "good ol days" really did suck at the time. But then I see a Tron arcade unit and I am reminded how great it all was! Ha.

#21 13 years ago

I was at a club Friday night and they showed the 82 Tron movie on the wall,
a scene at an arcade had me trying to ID all the pins -

#22 13 years ago

I'd add TFTC to the list...great game but the artwork turns my stomach a little.

#23 13 years ago

For ugly artwork, how could I forget Rollergames? The gameplay itself is good. The theme choice and art....ugh....hmmm....yea.

While the blondes on the right look pretty good, there seems to something wrong with the deformed males. Something also horribly wrong with their choice of leopard prints for their uniform.

"ROCK-ROCK-ROCKIN Rollergames!!

RG.jpgRG.jpg

#24 13 years ago

I agree Rollergames has me split. The guys are odd, but the ladies are worth a look.

I have Police Force and I think it is least favorite of my machines along the lines of artwork.

#25 13 years ago

Here's my vote....Last Action Hero
I own it because it plays great. But i don't know how much longer I can look at it.

http://mirror1.ipdb.org/images/1416/image-15.jpg

#26 13 years ago

Hahaha!!

LAH's art is pretty bad.

I wish I had a full-screen blown-up image of the target decal for Jack Slater's boss to use as my desktop. Hahaha!!

LAH.jpgLAH.jpg

#27 13 years ago

Unfortunately I have to vote for the only pin I own Street Fighter II. Man, I hate to even look at the backglass. I'm just glad I have so much fun playing it.

#28 13 years ago

Hey, I own a laser War!! Yes the back glass leaves something to be desired, but it is a an underrated game for game play. It is fun to play, and the multi-ball keeps your eyes off of the Back Glass.

I actually find the art work funny. If you look at the girl on the right, she's shooting the guy in the head!!! LMAO

#29 13 years ago

Hahaha! I totally didn't notice bigbill55.

Its tough vster23. I try to keep my eye away from Wesley Snipe's overgrown GQ posing head on Demo Man when I play. Its pretty tough, since his mellon eats up almost half the translite. The other half is taken up by a slightly deformed Sandra Bullock.

#30 13 years ago

I also want to list TX-Sector with its oddball sci-fi [?] 1950's art, and blatantly ripped-off Superman movie font for the title, but the game is so "80's-cheesy" on top of being really fun maybe its fitting the translite be equally cheeseball.

Sadly no leg warmers, headbands, or leopard pants on the space people from TX-Sector.

Damn DB!!!! Another one I liked, but I'm partial to it since I have one.....

#31 13 years ago

Here is some for you viewing pleasure....

Backglass.gifBackglass.gif image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg image-2.jpgimage-2.jpg

#32 13 years ago

Hey, I own a laser War!! Yes the back glass leaves something to be desired, but it is a an underrated game for game play. It is fun to play, and the multi-ball keeps your eyes off of the Back Glass.

I never said it wasn't a good machine, I think it's way underrated like most DE machines. The one I received the cabinet and BB were un-saveable but everything worked perfectly. I had fun for the two months I played it till it came to the point I was afraid it would collapse and hit one of my cars...

#33 13 years ago

I love the art for Spectrum, and enjoy the artwork of Rollergames, but Torpedo Alley is the by far the worst I have ever seen. Why couldn't Christ Williams have turned that awful art into his Ramones machine (http://www.pinballnews.com/learn/ramones/index.html) instead of ruining my personal favourite artwork of Gottlieb's Genie.

#34 13 years ago

Are those machine guns on a formula 1 car?

SWEET!

#35 13 years ago

Oh god. Torpedo Alley. Good pick, Schusler.

#36 13 years ago

The Pinball Compendium has an interesting write up by Doug Watson explaining why Wesley Snipes' and Sandra Bullock's mugs are so huge on Demo Man. You'd never guess that Wesley Snipes massive ego is involved.

I've taken heat for stating this on RGP, but I think Spanish Eyes' artwork is terrible. Not terrible as in campy and cheesy like Torpedo Alley and Hollywood Heat. But just plain ugly and unappealing.

#37 13 years ago

Torpedo Alley takes the prize HANDILY! Awful!

#38 13 years ago

Ding Ding Ding!!! We have a winner, folks. I don't know what they were smoking when they came up with that Torpedo Alley backglass. Just hideous!

What I find interesting is that it says the game is in "Digital Stereo". Did it actually have separate left and right channels? If so, that's pretty impressive given the fact that it came out in the 80's. Heck, I don't even think modern Sterns are in stereo.

#39 13 years ago

Never seen Torpedo Alley before. That is really bad.
There is a Spanish Eyes for sale locally. I don't much like the artwork either.

#40 13 years ago

It's actually a rare Data East pin.... It came out after Laser War. If you look at the playfield and Laser War's playfield; they're very similar!

I've never played a *real* T.A., just through pinmame...

#41 13 years ago

Torpedo alley is the winner so far. WOW!

"$%#@ in digital stereo!!!!"

What do they need that periscope for, if they have that giant window with cartoon boats and sharks? LOL

#42 13 years ago

Stellar Wars backglass, looks like a 3 year old did the lettering.

#43 13 years ago

What do they need that periscope for, if they have that giant window with cartoon boats and sharks? LOL

So I guess they must put periscopes in ships, or windows in submarines.

10 months later
#44 12 years ago

Bally Hardbody has got to be added on the list too! I see that one and want to throw up a little...

#45 12 years ago

Okay, that Torpedo Alley photo is bad, but I'm digging the classic pumps on the sailorettes there. I'm all over that! heh.

#46 12 years ago

The artwork for Lights Camera Action! was pretty laughable.

#47 12 years ago

I thought everybody always agreed Genesis was the worst...

genesis_pinball_2.jpggenesis_pinball_2.jpg gottlieb_gen.jpggottlieb_gen.jpg

#48 12 years ago
Quoted from drbond:

vster23 had previously started a thread about pins with great artwork.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-pins-have-the-best-artwork
Now, lets examine which pins have the worst artwork.
I'll start it off. Demolition Man (Williams). This is the sideart on the game. Nothing more gets your flipper fingers pumped, than an almost nude Sly Stallone.
I have to hide my Demo Man in a corner. I might have to move it into full view, when I get some ladies in the gameroom.
Hahaha!

Probably not the worst but the photoshopped heads plastered onto the S-M plastics are in the running, they sure ruin the look of the game, especially the totem "O" heads under the Goblin.
Game looks a lot better with them in the coinbox.

#49 12 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

It's actually a rare Data East pin.... It came out after Laser War. If you look at the playfield and Laser War's playfield; they're very similar!
I've never played a *real* T.A., just through pinmame...

I've never seen Topedo Alley either, it is pretty bad. Are those the same girls from the Hot Shots backglass?

#50 12 years ago

Bad Girls deserves a mention

image-1.jpgimage-1.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rochester, MN
$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

2,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 259.00
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Playfield - Other
RGP Models

$ 72.95
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Riverside, CA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 38.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pins-have-the-worst-artwork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.