(Topic ID: 157239)

Which pins have the best *original* music?

By goingincirclez

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luppin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#116 7 years ago

let's resurrect this interesting topic and move it forward..

Personally I believe music is the most important aspect in a pinball machine after gameplay, and togheter with theming. It adds ( or detract) really a huge amount of character, so I am very concerned about it. Although I did not play many machines, I have repeatedly watched hundreds of online videos, paying special attention to the soundtracks.

In my opinion the two winner here are Space Station and Swords of Fury: both soundtracks by Brian Schmidt.
Just ABSOLUTE PERFECTION.

After those, I think that BSD has an excellent soundtrack, perfectly fitting the theme.

There's other pins of course with good music, but the two Schmidt's creation are my two favorites by far.

A special note about BK2K: another good work, again by Brian Schmidt. This is a catchy soundtrack for sure. But I find it a bit annoying after sometimes. Especially the oooh oooooh ooooh gets irritating after listening to it several times, and it gets old.
While I could listen to SoF and Space Station soundtracks forever.

#123 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I'm on the fence about pin music. In the short term, it's great. But it can eventually become tiresome. At which point it becomes impossible to separate the game from the music. In essence, adding music both expands and limits the potential experience.
I'm heavily EM-focused, so my game room sounds are bells and chimes. The only music which gets played is the music *I* choose to play over the general cacophony. Which is kind of cool, because everyone in the room gets "tuned" to the same station. It's like everyone is playing one huge game with different faces... games are quicker... people shift around more... it feels a bit more social. Whereas modern games are more demanding of a person's focus and engrosses each player in its own little universe for longer periods of time.
It's kind of like going out with your friends to play billiards and having the option for a regular game or Lord Of The Rings Billiards where shooting different pockets made little things happen... dragons pop out... lasers shoot out of the balls... very engrossing but at the expense of tableside beers and chitchat. LOTRB would be awesome the first time, but what about the 10th? 100th?
Anyway... my favorite soundtracks are the ones which are a bit more atmospheric/subtle. The hyperactive plinky-dink tunes (largely from the 1990-1991 era) are just insane. Can't imagine having that in my house. Also BK2K is getting a lot of love here... it was AWESOME in the arcade. But having that thing at home going constantly? As the Black Knight says... "No way"

I totally agree with your idea of the game room as a single music environment. A proper pinball "club". Perfect for playing socially: one of the great aspects of our passion! Of course this is an option for me too when playing pinball.
Anyway proper pinball music has a special quality: it follows the game's and ball's evolution. It's a beautiful feature when properly implemented.

If you like atmospheric subtle music, I strongly suggest to check a video of Space Station: the quality and game related evolution of the music, sounds and call outs are really AMAZING.

#126 7 years ago

Modern pins of course allow you to set the music volume or to disable it entirely.

The best thing is to play with other people of course. But this is not always possible all the time unfortunately. When playing alone, especially if into serious playing (trying to go for the high score), I definitely prefer to listen to the pinball music.

Sometimes, even if alone, I also lower the pinball music volumes and listen to albums of my choice, but I have to say I do this just during very casual, not focused playing.

#128 7 years ago

Agreed. Really like the Zenball idea!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 22.50
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

7,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Machine - For Sale
Woodinville, WA
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Albany, NY
$ 49.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luppin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pins-have-the-best-original-music?tu=luppin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.