Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Gerrard17
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I picked up a NOS Interflip Dragon. Although it's an EM, it doesn't use chimes, it has an electronic audio board for bleeps, bloops, and BAOOOO!

I like unique audio novelties in machines - I really love the bell in Black Knight, great to get the ringer going for extra ball and replay. I know Taxi has the ringer too, does that one go off during the game? Any other games have a bell?

Of course, Fire! has the topper bell which is great.

I've heard some solid states still had chimes, which are those?

Any other audio novelties out there?

I hear some machines used to use a mechanical knocker for free game. Which are those? Ha... just kidding... not a fan of simulated knock though...

#2 6 years ago

Old Chicago has a buzzer that goes off when you roll 100k I believe

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

I know Taxi has the ringer too, does that one go off during the game? Any other games have a bell?

The taxi sound the same one that's in Space Shuttle I think?

#4 6 years ago

Tag Team has a bell but I don't think it's coded, never heard it go off.

#5 6 years ago

Williams Fire!, has that large bell as a topper.

#6 6 years ago

Ghostbusters has a scream.....

#7 6 years ago

Those Williams games in the mid-80s that cheaped out on speech, Laser Cue and FP2 or example, have bells in them. Laser Cue's bell is nicely integrated...it gives a short buzz with every pool ball collected.

#8 6 years ago

The best is Gold Wings - it has a freaking AIR HORN that will scare the pants off of you.

#9 6 years ago

On Frankenstein while in credit mode, if you press the start button too many times without adding credits, it will tell you "No! Go away!"

#10 6 years ago

Gottlieb Timeline has a bell in it.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

I've heard some solid states still had chimes, which are those?

A few of the earliest Bally, Stern, and Gottlieb solid state games before they switched over to electronic sounds.

Bally: freedom, night rider, black jack, evel knievel, eight ball, power play, mata hari, strikes & spares

Stern: pinball, stingray, stars, memory lane

Gottlieb: Cleopatra, Sinbad, Joker Power. Sometimes you can find Close Encounters or a few other early titles with chimes, although that is a mod, and not actually factory (the early sound boards could be swapped out for chimes).

#11 6 years ago

Wow, didn't know there were that many SS with chimes. Should have done this research -before- I went to VFW! Agh, could have checked some of those out...

#12 6 years ago

DE Time Machine with regular electronic music until you get multi-ball then switches to real chimes. Very cool.

#13 6 years ago

I always thought that Williams Space Shuttle - such a futuristic theme - has an analog bell in it.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from songofsixpence:

I always thought that Williams Space Shuttle - such a futuristic theme - has an analog bell in it.

It does

#15 6 years ago

Sorcerer has a bell

#16 6 years ago

Circus Voltaire has the same gong sound as the engine fire warnings on the older Boeing 747's.

Sounds similar anyway.

#17 6 years ago

Grand Lizard has the bell in the cab. IIRC it goes off when you score the special

#18 6 years ago

What's the screech sound Stern pins make when you get a replay? I assume it's just a pre-recorded noise but it's so loud and notable. It sounds like a tire burning rubber.

#19 6 years ago

Jungle Lord has a bell, Black Knight style, and adds a buzzer.

Taxi was already mentioned. I'm working on one today. Someone wrapped the bell in electrical tape so it goes gaaak gaaak instead of ringing. And it still sounds loud.

#20 6 years ago

Litlte known one:

"I'm calling the police!" end of game screaming callout on AGBGoaWT.

The code was updated and modified by AGC to allow operators to turn this specific recorded audio OFF, because it was causing problems on routes that scared customers and caused other problems due to complaints. This was not initially considered by the manufacturer.

#21 6 years ago

The random scream in ghostbusters always catches you by surprise

#22 6 years ago

The audio set included with BoP 2.0 made a LED tremble loose, which then clogged up the skill shot kicker. Awesome "novelty".

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#23 6 years ago

TAF uses the knocker in Séance mode ("knock three times"), and Hook uses it to indicate strikes.

TSPP garage door gives a satisfying clang when hit cleanly.

Central Park has a plastic monkey that appears to be ringing the bell for special.

#24 6 years ago

10M bonus scream in Monster Bash. Louder than any other sound in the game and just awesome.

#25 6 years ago

Olympic Hockey (I think?) has a goal horn/buzzer when you score a goal.

#26 6 years ago

TX sector has randomized sound bites with the pop bumpers. Sounds like a garbled mess until the ball exits the pops, then it plays out the last sound hit.

Gottlieb gladiators has an industrial strength shaker motor. Not sure this counts as a sound.
It does a very nice compliment to the sound of the beast breathing during the final round.

Zaccaria combat is an EM with a digital sound board. It does beeps and boops. But it also has an explosion sound to go with a backglass animation.

#27 6 years ago

Add Time Fantasy to list of games that have a bell. It goes off when you start Snail Time. Tommy has all electronic sounds but simulates chimes during certain modes. There are a few Tommy's that have chimes. Not sure if these were prototypes or mods.

#28 6 years ago

Pharaoh has a bell, but I think it only rings after multiplayer games to indicate which player gets the "bonus time". Sounds a lot like an old school telephone.. "Ring...ring"...."hello?"

#29 6 years ago

Williams flash you can switch between electronic sounds and a simulated chimes sound. ?? I thought it was novel.

And big guns blue book shows a bell but none to be had in game. I wonder if it's programmed for it. ??

#30 6 years ago

Gottlieb Car Hop has a nostalgia mode the player can pick at the beginning that replaces the sounds with synthesized chime sounds.

#31 6 years ago

My Gold Wings siren:

#32 6 years ago

Always get a kick out of the Space Shuttle bell.

#33 6 years ago

Air horn for the win!

#34 6 years ago

Centaur uses a reverb board along with the sound board (say it again)..Only machine to use this. Awesome, adjustable effect. Kicks ass with an external subwoofer.

#35 6 years ago

Gameshow has a bell like Taxi too...

#36 6 years ago

Maybe a little different than what the OP had in mind, but I think there is an audio creaking sound when you open the coin door for AMH.

#37 6 years ago

Yes, was more thinking about hardware-related effects, but novel audio effects and callouts are cool too. That's a nice touch on AMH. It reminds me of the creaking door when you plunge and enter the Mystery Castle. Also like MC's "Hunt Again" rather than the usual... Great audio package on that machine.

I really want to experience that air horn on Gold Wings now! Cool idea...

#38 6 years ago

I actually installed an electronic air raid siren in a game once as a joke as I was reminded of Gold Wings game.

It triggered when a player received free credits with a match. Literally it was one funniest things to watch as reported by the operation owner. The person did not know if they won the lottery or to run away in fear. Ultimately, I had to pull it due to customer complaints, but it was fun while it lasted.

#39 6 years ago

Strange Science has a ton of cool and unique audio....maybe I shouldn't sell mine.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

I actually installed an electronic air raid siren in a game once as a joke as I was reminded of Gold Wings game.
It triggered when a player received free credits with a match. Literally it was one funniest things to watch ...

Now that sounds entertaining... need to combine it with Dialed-In style selfie-mode to capture the moments.

#41 6 years ago

AC/DC has a radio mode that plays live versions of the songs.
RZSI also has a similar mode to play all songs on the pin.

#42 6 years ago

Maybe not quite as cool as the Gold Wings siren, but I adore the klaxon siren (BRRNOOOONNGAA!! ) when you start multiball on Torpedo Alley. The subsequent "Dive! Dive! Dive! Dive!" callout just seals the deal.

#43 6 years ago

I like how White Water randomly adds "Ya Weiner!" to the end of it's call outs on very rare occasions.

#44 6 years ago

Game Show has a ringing bell when you get a prize.

A number of System 80 pins have ascending/descending tone when switches are hit which is pretty cool.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/which-pins-have-audio-novelties?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.